Code of Conduct

Default Perfume of life off line?

I've been trying to log into POL for almost two weeks with no sucess. Just wondering if anyone knows
    if that forum no longer exists.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th March 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Default Re: Perfume lof life off line?

I've been trying to access it for the last week and am getting concerned. Why it should suddenly "disappear" is a mystery, I would have thought the person running the site would have provided some warning if there was going to be a closure because of maintenance. Perhaps there is some security issue (as there has been here on BN with iTrader apparently) or maybe the PoL server is down for some unexpected reason? It does seem an awfully long time but I would be surprised and sad if it was down for good. (I'm Lalique on Pol btw)

Yes it was Thursday week ago when I was last on. None of the Mods have heard from Jeffrey, I did try emailing him and got a delay in delivery then two days later a failure to deliver.

Someone on MUA said some Polers posted on facebook, fragrance friends. I did a search on the group which I do belong to and no one had any idea. Jokes about not paying for the site. Someone on facebook said POL had been slowing dying for some time now and perhaps the plug had finally been pulled.

If that was the case you would think a notice would appear saying POL is closed.
    DONNA

That's a pity! I was a bit of a lurker as I found there were some interesting and knowledgeable people at PoL. I wish they would bother bringing in their wisdom here (maybe they only have different names here and I don't notice ).

I hope the owner is not dead or something! Strange we have not received an email explaining the situation... That's why I'm thinking about that!
    If you were to say to the grown-ups: “I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof,” they would not be able to get an idea of that house at all. You have have to say to them: “I saw a house that cost $20,000.” Then they would exclaim: “Oh, what a pretty house that is!”

(extract from "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

Think about it...

Basenotes Plus

Hi all, I post at POL as "besotted". I received an email yesterday morning from another POL member who successfully contacted Jeffrey Dame by phone a couple days ago. He said that he is in the process of moving the site to another location, and hopefully will have everything up and running in about four or five days. If I learn anything else I'll be sure to post it to this thread.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thanks for the info, that is very reassuring.

Default Re: Perfume of life off line?

Thank you. But a little note on the site saying this would have been good.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Thank you. But a little note on the site saying this would have been good.
    yes, I would have thought so too.
    Last edited by tiffingirl; 10th March 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Basenotes Plus

You're welcome and ITA that there should have been a heads up somewhere on the site. Had that member not taken the initiative to contact Jeffrey Dame no one would have known what was going on.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hi Lalique/Tiffingirl, Besotted, Donna225, Valnum,

Thank you all for checking up on this. I was starting to think it was just me. Yes, some advance notice would have been nice. I do hope Jeffrey will continue the forum/site in some form. I would really miss reading all of your posts and checking in daily. I've felt a little off course since POL's been down. Hope to talk to you soon over there, meanwhile I will have to get my daily perfume related fix here! Linda

Good to know. Thanks for letting us know.

Emma

Hi everyone, its Ms Fracas from POL here- just a heads up if you are a member of the Facebook Fragrance Friends page, talking about POL over there is considered bad form. The site admin and various others felt that our agenda was to keep each other informed of POL issues. I'm not sure what Basenotes protocol is, but I thought I should mention it as I would hate for anyone else to be ousted or rebuked on those grounds.

*disclaimer* I enjoy Basenotes and still have every intention of using it- I apologize if I have broken any etiquette by discussing other forums.
    Last edited by L'eaulita; 10th March 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: dsiclaimer!

Blog Entries

I don't know of any rule against discussing other forums here, especially when it's only something like concern about not being able to log on.

However, I do think it's generally best to avoid criticizing other forums, and certainly interpersonal disputes that arise on another forum should stay on that forum.

Not a dispute and certainly not criticizing- it was a well intentioned heads-up is all. Just passing on my lesson learned! Sometimes we can do or say things unwittingly that offend others on forums we are unfamiliar with

Blog Entries

True, L'eaulita, and it's good of you to think of it.

I'm glad to read this. I just went back to POL after a longish period of being off everything online, incl. FB. It seemed strange that a week after I returned, POL disappeared! See you all there again, eventually, I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    You're welcome and ITA that there should have been a heads up somewhere on the site. Had that member not taken the initiative to contact Jeffrey Dame no one would have known what was going on.
    Oh, thank you besotted! I do love so much about basenotes, but I miss POL.

Really miss it!

Terry

Yay! Glad to see you all!
    Went to Marshall's yesterday and found a 1.7 EDT of Diane...... splurged and am glad I did. How pretty she is.
    Might try layering her with Shalimar today......
    Nuff said...... Trying to not step on 'Basenote' toes. but glad to see friends here!x
    A~~

Oh it's so good to find you guys!! I've been almost frantic wondering what the hey happened to POL. Good thing someone thought to contact Jeffrey, I only thought of bbBD, 'cause I have his decant site bookmarked, and at the time (last week) he didn't know either, he may by now though.

I can't tell you enough how happy I am to find you all here. Just joined up (after reading this site everyday for ages, I do love basenotes too!!) so I could chat with you...

Since POL went down, I've fallen in love with Habanita, and had a weekend alone with Fendi, so all is well. Hope you're all doing great! SIGH OF RELIEF

Hi Everyone-I too have been wondering what was going on. Thank goodness that POL will be on line again soon and nice to see you here as well!

oh! Habanita! me so happy.
    which Fendi?
    Good to see you HairyMary!
    A~~x

Quote Originally Posted by greenlily61 View Post
    I'm glad to read this. I just went back to POL after a longish period of being off everything online, incl. FB. It seemed strange that a week after I returned, POL disappeared! See you all there again, eventually, I hope!
    Same here, Greenlily.

I have been ill for some time and didn't have the energy to spend a lot of time online. Right when I began a topic or 2 at POL it vanished. And I had been a volunteer host. There was no advance notice. *eek*

I had posted a list in Perfume Swap a day before POL vanished! *LOL!*

Hello Greenlily! Glad your feeling better.
    A~~x

Habanita is gorgeous. I have the older edt and parfum. Really fancy trying the edp version.
    DONNA

Same here, Adonna!!

The original Fendi edt, I've had it stuck in the back of the cabinet for ages. When applied judiciously lol it's really nice, not as, ahem, "loud", shall we say, as I remember it, back in the eighties when I applied w/a heavier hand. Actually I caught something almost incensey about it, will have to look up the notes! Only have the new Habanita, and love love love it, although I have nothing to compare it to. Missed an excellent opp at the original some months back, and am still kicking myself over it. Oh well, one will come again, right?

Morticia, sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Hope you are now feeling MUCH better!

Hi everyone, and hi purplelilac too!

Will probly be wearing Sensuous Noir today at work, even though it's going to be sunny and warm, but it's got some oomph to it (as far as the new ones go, that is). See you all later, I hope! Have a wonderful day!

What a relief - thank you so much for finding out from Jeffrey.

I tried 24, Faubourg today, and finally understood what people mean when they call a fragrance "narcotic"... I tried it in the EDP and the Parfum. I. Love. It.

Hi, everyone! So this is where you're all hiding.....

I am the person who contacted Jeffery--I talked to him last Friday and he said then that he was hoping to be up in 4-5 days. I wish I had more to tell you, but that's pretty much the extent of it. Now, there was a notice about an upcoming upgrade that was pinned for so long that I think we all stopped noticing it...but there was no heads up given to the moderators or anyone else AFAIK.

I do miss you all, and it's good to see my friends in here! I guess we'll have to pull up a couch in here for a while.....

*opens can of soda
    *passes Doritos
    *adjusts thermostat
    *puts dirty shoes on coffee table

Quote Originally Posted by Altodiva View Post
    Hi, everyone! So this is where you're all hiding.....

I am the person who contacted Jeffery--I talked to him last Friday and he said then that he was hoping to be up in 4-5 days.
    Hi Deev, Magdalene here. So odd that he didn't notify the mods. Oh, well...

Found this thread by Googling "perfume of life" figuring that site downage would be discussed somewhere, and voila, here is that discussion. Thanks for posting. Wondering what the next incarnation of POL will be like...

Hey! Are you gonna eat those Doritos all by yourself??? Pass them here. Want some of my ice cream?

bleu autumn haze

Welcome to all the POL'ers! Please join in on our threads and feel free to post your SOTD in the women's or men's forums.
    I've trademarked the color bleu