Code of Conduct

Default Perspective on Usage Patterns

Here are some things to think about as you evaluate your fragrance usage patterns:

1) If your average day consists of 4 full applications of fragrance, 7 days a week, 365 days per year, you only use approximately 585ml of fragrance per year. Just shy of 6 100ml bottles. A more reasonable application pattern for the normal fragrance user is 2 applications per day, or a little less than two and a half bottles per year.

2) Add up your current inventory, divide it by your usage pattern and determine how many years it will take for you to use up your current fragrance collection (assuming you don't buy another bottle).

3) Wearing a very expensive Guerlain like Bois d'Armenie every single day, 4 times a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year will run you just shy of $2000 per year.

4) Wearing a mid level niche fragrance like Comme des Garcons Avignon, 4 times a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year will run you just less than $1000 per year.

5) Purchasing only 1 100ml bottle per month of whatever mass market fragrance is hot and new at Sephora or Bloomingdales will run you just slightly less than $1300 per year. Given 4 applications per day, you will still only manage to use approximately $625 worth of those mass market fragrances that you purchased.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LA2000 View Post
    Here are some things to think about as you evaluate your fragrance usage patterns:

1) If your average day consists of 4 full applications of fragrance, 7 days a week, 365 days per year, you only use approximately 585ml of fragrance per year. Just shy of 6 100ml bottles. A more reasonable application pattern for the normal fragrance user is 2 applications per day, or a little less than two and a half bottles per year.

2) Add up your current inventory, divide it by your usage pattern and determine how many years it will take for you to use up your current fragrance collection (assuming you don't buy another bottle).

3) Wearing a very expensive Guerlain like Bois d'Armenie every single day, 4 times a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year will run you just shy of $2000 per year.

4) Wearing a mid level niche fragrance like Comme des Garcons Avignon, 4 times a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year will run you just less than $1000 per year.

5) Purchasing only 1 100ml bottle per month of whatever mass market fragrance is hot and new at Sephora or Bloomingdales will run you just slightly less than $1300 per year. Given 4 applications per day, you will still only manage to use approximately $625 worth of those mass market fragrances that you purchased.
    Not so sure. I apply more than average living in the danish climate. Use 1.5 ml pr. Application since I also use 2-3 sprays in each arm pit (I use a neutral scent free deo first). 2 x 1.5 ml a day for 2 applications equals 3 ml a day X 365 = 1,095 ml a year
    I figure I use a 100 ml bottle a month

I have 156 bottles currently - so it will take me 14 years before I run out of juice so I have to step it up a bit
    A guy like Hednic as 1,000 -1,500 bottles, he will die before he runs out of juice
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Default Re: Perspective on Usage Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Not so sure. I apply more than average living in the danish climate. Use 1.5 ml pr. Application since I also use 2-3 sprays in each arm pit (I use a neutral scent free deo first). 2 x 1.5 ml a day for 2 applications equals 3 ml a day X 365 = 1,095 ml a year

I have 156 bottles currently - so it will take me 14 years before I run out of juice so I have to step it up a bit
    A guy like Hednic as 1,000 -1,500 bottles, he will die before he runs out of juice
    ok..I think you're missing the point of the post..maybe even the forum. "Step it up?...kidding right? BTW the OP was discussing peoples averages..not "you" in particular...also most don't spray their armpits with expensive juice...no matter how much $ they have.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
    ok..I think you're missing the point of the post..maybe even the forum. "Step it up?...kidding right? BTW the OP was discussing peoples averages..not "you" in particular...also most don't spray their armpits with expensive juice...no matter how much $ they have.
    Woah chill man! I agree with what you and the original poster are saying. I try to be as utilitarian as possible with collecting and that's why I try very hard to keep my wardrobe small, as it is. I also really agree with that last part, I'm always a bit shocked by how quick people are to bring up money or social class. Yes, someone who's more wealthy can buy more bottles, I get that, but all I'm ever talking about is whether or not having so many bottles is functional. That being said, if I had more money I'd DEFINITELY buy lots of bottles haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post

I'm closer to your stats.
    I spray twice day in which each application is about 1.5ml. So thats 3ml x 365 = 1,100 ml or eleven 100ml bottles.
    But I doubt we'll ever finish one bottle very soon because per month we reduce 60 bottles by approximately 1.5ml each (assuming you will not re-use a particular perfume in the same month).

Thanks to the OP for starting this.

for swap/sale:

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Perspective on Usage Patterns

I love story problems! Seriously, a helpful thread. I'm awaiting a camera to photograph my collection. Then I'll do the math.

Another observation: Conversely, you have given us a tool for figuring out how to stretch out vintage scent. Example: Say I have 50 ml of a favorite discontinued that I apply at the rate of .3 ml per app. That gives me ~150 uses, once a month for 12.5 years should I choose. Or once a week for about 3 years. Or, every time I go on a date, in which case I'll have to live be about 550

Thank you.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
    Sorry, yeah you are right. This sub forum probably is not the right sub forum for me - but base notes as whole definitely is.

Not that you exactly hurt my deepest feelings with your post, but if you could try to talk to people in a nicer manner in the future (seeing you only have 2 posts here, I think you would receive a warmer welcome in the long run), it would be great, thanks very much in advance !

Also I only own 18-20 bottles of niche juice (is Lalique, Creed, Bond, Lutens, Malle, Penhaligon, Guerlain & Chopard considered NICHE ?), the rest of my collection is pretty affordable designer EDT's.

I used to use designer frag deo sprays and deo sticks, but found in the long run they often were less effective than Nivea and Sanex neutral scent free deo sticks and deo sprays - more often than not I would sweat and smell sweaty, when I used the (in my opinion quite often inferior working) designer deodorants as oppose to when I used the cheap, but VERY effective Nivea and Sanex neutral deodorants and then added 2-3 sprays of designer or niche EDT to each arm pitt.
    Thus I in fact saved money by using the cheap but HIGHLY effective Nivea and Sanex scent free deodorants and then added 2-3 EDT sprays to each arm pitt compared to just using the designer deodorants and then only sprayed my EDT on chest and neck area.

So I highly advice anyone trying to save some ca$h here - to use my little advice. Dump designer deodorants and use the cheap neutral scent free Nivea and Sanex deodorants and follow up with your EDT scent of the day/evening in arm pitts, chest and neck !!
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 13th March 2012 at 05:53 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Perspective on Usage Patterns

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'm closer to your stats.
    I spray twice day in which each application is about 1.5ml. So thats 3ml x 365 = 1,100 ml or eleven 100ml bottles.
    But I doubt we'll ever finish one bottle very soon because per month we reduce 60 bottles by approximately 1.5ml each (assuming you will not re-use a particular perfume in the same month).

Thanks to the OP for starting this.
    Hedonist, I agree - we probably will not finish a whole bottle of juice in less than 7-8 years time, and by then the juice inside will also be pretty close to expiration time any way

I'm still very new in this 'game' so to speak - I started my new frag journey in August last year, so I still buy 15-20 frags a month, but this will slow down very soon as I start to have most of the designer frags I have set my eyes on from the start and will now begin to order test samples from the 10-12 better known niche houses and probably from 2013 and on, 75% of my frag purchases will be niche and 25% designer frags and this will mean I only will be buying 1-2 bottles a month from then on.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Post Thanks / Like

I really do not worry about the cost of it all. If I can afford to buy the fragrance then I will use it how I wish and re buy when it is empty as needed. I see what that topic is trying to state. I really do not focus on this. Everything in life costs money. I do use designer deodorants. I have 6 of them at the moment and they work pretty good. I also use Nivea deodorant on other days. Just all depends who I feel.

So for the near off topic ramble.
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue

Quote Originally Posted by maitiu View Post
    I really do not worry about the cost of it all. If I can afford to buy the fragrance then I will use it how I wish and re buy when it is empty as needed.
    Likewise