Code of Conduct

Default Looking for the closest match to an old discontinued favourite

Hi: Does anyone remember the first Versace perfume? i think it was just called Versace. It is still my absolute favourite and I was heartbroken when it was discontinued. I've asked many times whether it will be brought back and been told lots of people want it, but no.
    So - what would be the closest anyone has come to this? I have found the aftershave Lagerfeld Classic, which was how I found Versace originally (someone wearing it told me about the perfume). But I hope there may be a secret stash out there somewhere, or a clone, or - something???

Default Re: Looking for the closest match to an old discontinued favourite

are you talking about versace l'homme? you're mentioning you found it after lagerfeld aftershave so i presumed you're talking about the masculine.

Actually no, the original women's fragrance had very similar notes to the Lagerfeld aftershave. I complemented someone on what a wonderful scent the Lagerfeld was and he suggested I try the Versace because it was very similar. I've just gone and fished out the last bottle I had - I kept it because I loved it so - and it was actually called Gianni Versace and was in a red and grey box with gold highlights. The bottle was shaped with facets in the glass and with a cut at the bottom creating two 'feet". That was more information than you wanted,wasn't it?

Hi Beauiegirl, and welcome to basenotes!

I know the one - Gianni Versace - I have it. It's a rich floral chypre, and I find it to be a brighter, fresher, much greener version of Mystère de Rochas, which is also generally classified as a chypre but wears like a deep and smoldering animalic oriental on me, so to me, Gianni Versace is actually the chypre version of Mystère. At any rate, it's really not such a helpful recommendation since it's also discontinued and hard to find, but it's the one that occurred to me.

I'll think about this a bit more and report back if any other similar fragrances come to mind (maybe Scherrer 2...?) but I'm hoping a few other members pipe in with a suggestion or two - I'd also like to know what other perfumes might be out there that are like GV.

Last edited by Evangeline; 10th March 2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added pic
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I have a bottle of the Versace Versus in the red bottle. Smells like robitussin to me, I never wear it. I do love cypress but all I get from this bottle is cough syrup. My niece gave it to me years ago but I never got the chypre scent out of this.

have you tried ebay? i have seen it there a couple of times.. did a quick check, it looks like they are all minis but you can get a pack of 10 (3.5ml each) for just over 70 pounds:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-GIANNI...item20b9830586

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-VERSA...item2c53eafa7d

The bottle I have has a red cap with gold letters. It is triangular at the base. 100 ml Esau de toilette. The top kind of looks like an incomplete letter C. I'm not sure what this is supposed to smell like but all I smell is cough syrup.

Dear Danny, I will certainly try eBay. Never occurred to me there might still be some minis around. Many thanks for the tip!

Dear Digindirt, Versace Versus is a different perfume. The one i like is just Gianni Versace.

Dear Evangeline, thank you for the suggestion of Mystere. I think I have tracked down a bottle of that, and will try it. I'll let you know how I go. You are spot on about the "deep and smoldering animalic oriental". that's exactly what I get and love. Fingers crossed on the minis and Mystere! I'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Beauiegirl View Post
    Dear Danny, I will certainly try eBay. Never occurred to me there might still be some minis around. Many thanks for the tip!

Dear Digindirt, Versace Versus is a different perfume. The one i like is just Gianni Versace.

Dear Evangeline, thank you for the suggestion of Mystere. I think I have tracked down a bottle of that, and will try it. I'll let you know how I go. You are spot on about the "deep and smoldering animalic oriental". that's exactly what I get and love. Fingers crossed on the minis and Mystere! I'll report back.
    my pleasure, glad to help a fellow basenoter!..

Glad you found what you were looking for. I was hoping I had what you wanted.

Dear all,

I am now in possession of both Mystere de Rochas and 10 minis of my beloved Gianna Versace, the latter arrived yesterday from the UK (I'm in Melbourne, Aust). So I will be able to compare, and will post my thoughts. Will also try to get some Scherrer 2 when the bank balance recovers!
    In the meantime, another fragrance I love is Fleurs d' Oranger by Serge Lutens. Any comments on that one?

Oops - posted the same message twice!

Hey there, Beauiegirl!

Thanks for the update - I don't know how I missed following-up on this thread, but I'm glad I finally did! I'm so glad you got your minis of Gianni Versace, and I'm super-excited you got some Mystère, too! I'm so curious to know if my impressions are completely out-there, or if the similarities are obvious. I sort of think of them as the same scent, but GV is greener and fresher so it's for the warm months, and Mystère is, to me, all about its rich and luxuriant warmth (it reminds me of kitty fur that's been warmed by the sun) so it's best in cooler weather. At any rate, I hope you enjoy them both!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

This thread has new posts but it hasn't been updated, so I'm giving it a little bump so that Beauiegirl can find it again.