Code of Conduct

Default I'm I being ripped off? New to the game, need your experienced take on issue

I found 50ml original formulation YSL M7 at the mall

unfortunately it's in a ripoff frag store.
    Anyways for 3mins I spoke with him here's what I found out.

His introduction conversation to all his customers..
    1) he's a real chemist.
    2) boast that his boutique sells very unique frags. So unique in fact that it's only available overseas :France, England and Singapore... Besides those places, his store is only location in the USA where those unique frags can be found.
    3) boasting continues.... He had A French tourist who bought over $1500 of his unique fragrances because he claims the Frenchman said it's not sold in France!
    4) more grandiose blah blah blah

Anyways I want this M7 50ml but he wants $100+! now I'm seeking guidance from fragcomm I'm new to the community and fragrance collection in general. he also has 100ml Escada Magnetism tester 95% full without Box for $100 no tax. these are discont. gems I want and can't find elsewhere but I'm hesitating because I dispise the SA practices. (not the man, not his race or culture, but purely business practices)
    If fragcomm thinks this price is good, tell me.

50ml original formulation YSL M7 (new) $100+

100ml Escada Magnetism 95% full tester, no box (used) $100 no tax

TX all
    Last edited by socalwoman; 10th March 2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: racist comments

Default Re: I'm I being ripped off? New to the game, need your experienced take on issue

Too much for the Magnetism imo. I'd say you will be able to find it cheaper online. I've seen it, new, 100ml, for £40 (which I still consider too much for this but, to be fair, I've never tried it. Maybe it's fantastic).

Default Re: I'm I being ripped off? New to the game, need your experienced take on issue

I would consider NOT purchasing anything that is difficult to find. You are likely to receive a counterfeit. Why is it that this guy has it and nobody else does ? Your safest bet would be to locate a used bottle on EBAY *from a seller who does not sell perfume for a living but is getting rid of an old bottle they owned. These types of sellers are usually legit.

Look at the ingredients in these fragrances and get recommendations for other fragrances that are more readily available OR try the cheap fragrance oil knock offs. Some of them are fairly well done.

Stay away from the hustlers and this hobby will be a lot more enjoyable.

Too much, I got magnetism for about $40 on ebay, in fact right now it's the same price for 100ml. Also, I picked up a vintage M7 50ml on ebay for $45 I think right around christmas...so look around, I wouldn't pay those prices.

You might find them elsewhere at another time and at a better price.

I would not....let me repeat I WOULD NOT buy any rare or niche fragrance from a store in the mall not unless it's a retail store. Macy's, Dillards..etc.

Let me tell you why.

Yes these stores do sale authentic fragrances...YSL, Versace, Chanel...most designer fragrances. (Though some of these may be old stock)

But when you get into the realm of niche...Creed, Fredric Malle and hard to find designer original such as YSL M7, Dior Fahrenheit and the like then chances are you are being ripped off.

I went to this place in the mall they have many many many fragrances I've actually purchased some from there before (designer's) then checked on checkcosmetic.net and they checked out fine.

Yet they have many Creeds as well. I tried Creed Green Irish Tweed...the top smelled familiar to Cool Water which many people say that it does so I was sorta optimistic...yet when I reviewed the box it was clear that the product was a fake. Before I went into the store I googled fake Creed GIT. I found this extensive review that this one guy did and lo and behold it was correct. The terrible thing is he was selling the fake GIT for the price of a real GIT.

That turned me off from the whole store and I have not purchased another fragrance from there ever since.

So I would not recommend buying a rare or niche from a store like that. If you decide to do it anyway all I will say is proceed with caution and good luck.

Do not pay that much. You could probably haggle down to $60 for the M7 but keep looking for the Escada. I just bought a 90% full 100ml for $35 on here last week.

(What does "chemist" mean?)
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I would definitely give that retailer a miss...too expensive and the rest, dodgy.

you can often get better prices online. I got m7 from fragrancex.com, it was cheaper and 100ml

noted, i'll stay away from this hustler.

Forget about that place he's over charging

Forget about it, i just bought M7 vintage from a mall for $85 inc tax and stuff. and this is the for the 3.4oz bottle plus 3.4oz body wash in a travel bag. Keep looking man!

EDIT: check overstock.com, they have it for $77-ish

Go for an ebay seller with a good rep - safer and probably cheaper too.

I read the original post and I agree with you.

for swap/sale:

Times are tough and this guy has a storefront that he has to pay for. If I was a discounter in a mall, I might not be too particular about the stuff I was supplied with. Common wisdom says that only the more common frags are counterfeited, so it's difficult to think that rareish things are fake, but if the brand is well enough known among the knowledgeable, then who's to say.

As others mentioned, if you are not sure about something, it's worth remembering that there are plenty of other fish in the sea, and things we are interested in tend to show up again later too, often from sources we can feel more secure about.

Banned