Code of Conduct

Default Question about Giorgio by beverly hills and Red by beverly hills.

Last year around August I bought a bottle of Giorgio by beverly hills after reading all the good reviews about it. After I tested it for the first time I was sorely dissapointed in it. It lacked depth and longevity and it smelled watered down. So I ended up taking it back to the store. The other day I was scanning the isles at TJ maxx and saw they had acouple of Giorgio's and a tester out and decided to spray on some. Before I sprayed it on my wrist I was expecting the same fragrance I had bought last year but when I sprayed my wrist this blast of elegent sophisticated scent almost knocked me to the ground. I walked out of the store amazed on how strong this was (in a good way). Hours later i could still smell the rich depth this thing had. I went back to Tj maxx to sample it once more but this time I sprayed the crease of my arm and I got the same initial experience. Although the smell of this fragrance is not my favorite there is something in this that kept drawing me back to it. The next day I decided to buy a bottle and I am so glad I did because I gave it a full wearing today and I am utterly blown away by this. It's rich, elegent, sophisticated, and when I wear this I feel like this is what a man should smell like. Masculine. Amazing projection and longevity. The sprayer on this one is a beast reminds me of the sprayers that come on fahrenheit.

Let's get down to my questions: 1. Why is is this cologne stronger, more elegent, and sophisticated to me now than last year?

2. I know EA fragrances took over the Giorgio line a few years back. Could it be possible that for 2012 that they brought back the vintage version? I have never smelled the vintage but clearly this fragrance I have now is not the same from last year.

3. Is there any fellow basenoters that have bought the 2012 Giorgio and confirm its stronger and just smells awesome...

I had similiar experience with Red by Giorgio as well So I bought them both

Thanks alot looking forward to your comments.

Default Re: Question about Giorgio by beverly hills and Red by beverly hills.

Sounds like there may be a recent reformulation that has watered the scent down. I bought a bottle of this a few years ago which I have since given way. I liked the way it surrounds you in a honey patchouli cloud. Though the strength I found to be nuclear and the longevity to be twelve hours plus just from one spray.

Not many frag's can boast the mega power and longevity of good old Giorgio, enjoy!

Brother you need to read my posts from the past few days. Do a search for Giorgio Beverly Hills using the search engine and look for (difference between the new and reformulated version).

I had the same experience as you which led me to believe that is has been counterfeited even though it is an affordable fragrance. I've read amazon reviews about people getting counterfeit toothpaste. Scam artists have no shame. I bought mine from overstock.com. The good batch came from drugstore.com and walgreens.com.

GBH is a brilliant scent. Unfortunately it is being discontinued. Buy what you can now.

It has always been a 3rd party fragrance that EA only distributes. I would imagine a lot of that had to do with legal issues. Whatever is it EA is discontinuing it.

I just purchased 16 bottles in the past two weeks. This is a masterpiece.

Just read your article. Thank you for leading me to it and it was very informative. That is just my luck. By the time i get interested in a old school powerhouse there going to discontinue it. DANG. guess ill pick up me up another bottle later this week. So you think its possible that the scent I picked up last year was a counterfeit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    Just read your article. Thank you for leading me to it and it was very informative. That is just my luck. By the time i get interested in a old school powerhouse there going to discontinue it. DANG. guess ill pick up me up another bottle later this week. So you think its possible that the scent I picked up last year was a counterfeit?

It was a mystery to me too. I went through 3 bottles from overstock.com before I gave up on it. Two weeks ago for some reason I wanted to revisit it but from another seller. I was not convinced that my overstock.com bottles were legit. They might have been old stock...who knows.

I still believe that legal issues had a lot to do with this being a 3rd party fragrance. That is the vibe I got when I called EA a year ago asking about it.

By golly that explains my dilemma. Thank you so much for your knowledge and info. Here's looking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    By golly that explains my dilemma. Thank you so much for your knowledge and info. Here's looking out.
    That is what the basenotes community is all about..sharing.

Enjoy

IMO, the most likely explanation is that it's your perceptions. It's very common to have an revelatory experience the first time to encounter a frag, only to find it mundane not long thereafter. I guess it's possible it was diluted, so that they could save money, but I doubt it was counterfeited (because I've done quite a bit of ebay searching and have never come across this with the original or Red, nor does it sell for much).

The next time I pass through Korea Town I will look for it. For those that don't know NYC Korea town is a 5 block stretch starting at roughly 26th street and Broadway and goes until 30th street. Here the US government lets tax paying store owners sell obvious counterfeit fragrances with no liability.Why ? Don't know...maybe the same reason they allow legal prostitution but only in Nevada. Write your congressman.

These guys supply the street vendors who disperse them to tourists who don't know any better.

If it is available there as a counterfeit then you can assume there are a lot of others out there.

I will look and report back.

BIGSLY : Do a google search on counterfeit products in general. These days high end luxury goods are not the only thing being counterfeited. Scammers have learned to appreciate counterfeiting low cost goods which nobody suspects would be counterfeit.

I am basing my opinion on a great deal of ebay searching for these kinds of frags, as I said. Now with these 2 frags in particular, we have the following situation:

1. I have not seen fakes of the original versions on ebay (or anywhere else).
    2. The new versions seem to have quickly gone to the "bargain bins" of the frag world.

If anyone knows of a frag that sells really cheap and isn't really popular being faked (in the USA), please tell us !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 10th March 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Good point bigsly........ You both have interesting views

Thing is that the fakes really "stick out like sore thumbs" on ebay, and they are usually Creed or at least Le Male type frags (meaning they are more expensive than around $20-25).

Banned

I would not be eager to cast off the OP's initial dislike to a frustrated expectation or even saying after a couple of wearings it became mundane. He said his disappointment was on his first application. Apparently, something was wrong, perhaps, improper storage. However, thatmakesscents' three-time strikeout with overstock.com is still befuddling.

My first bottle from overstock was purchased around 2 years ago. It lingered on my clothing overnight but on my skin it only lasted for roughly 2 hrs. Not so with the batch I am wearing today. This has a very animalic vibe to it that makes it linger. My first reaction was "wow". The other two from overstock were purchased this summer within a 2 week period of each other.

As we speak I am in the process of receiving a return from overstock for a Givenchy Gentleman that I purchased 2 weeks ago. After receiving a new bottle this week from Givenchy I believe the Gentleman on overstock is also of dubious origin.

If you look on overstock.com you will be able to purchase most any cologne available at big department stores for a fraction of the cost. This doesn't make sense to me. A limited number of choices would sit way better with me. In the past I have purchased overstock from overstock but these days it seems like they drop ship from a third party distributor in Miami.

This summer I purchased a fake Habit Rouge from Target. I filed a BBB claim and got my money back. I sent Target a photo of the bottle I bought at Bergdoff Goodman side by side with the one from target. Target had no choice but to refund me my money.

You certainly are entitled to believe you got a fake of any frag, but here at BN we have seen plenty of fakes, which means that if it's an older frag yet we have no reports of fakes, it's highly unlikely. Getting a store to provide refunds is not necessarily difficult to do, regardless of whether or not it was a fake. If you provide us with photos and information, we can take it from there. If not, the "preponderance of evidence" suggests there are no Giorgios or Habit Rouge fakes in the US market, unless they just hit it recently. I am concerned that people buy real ones, then return a fake and say they had an allergic reaction, keeping the real one. I just need some evidence, and one person's claim relative to what's been presented here at BN in the past is not good enough for me.

Post Re: Question about Giorgio by beverly hills and Red by beverly hills.

I have a photo of the Habit Rouge from Target next to the one from Berdoff Goodman. It can also be located at ripoffreports.com where I posted my concern this summer.

Can I send someone the photo so they can post it ? There isn't an attachment option that I can see on this website or is there ?

I have no photos from my past GBH purchases.

Thanks

People post pictures on threads here all the time. You can use photobucket.com. I'm very interested in seeing this picture, but there should be several, including close-ups of the label.

I've tried using those sites...not interested in opening up more accounts that I don't need. Would you or anybody else be willing to let me email them the photo ? If so please give me an email address to email it to via PM.

If not a big deal. I have nothing to prove but it would be fun to post it anyways

I will show the one I have which should be sufficient. At least it was enough to get my money refunded back.

thatmakesscents emailed me a photo, since he does not want to post them here with a photobucket (or similar) account. It is below. He thinks one is fake (Target) and one is genuine (BG). Here is his description about what happened and his opinion about the bottle:

"I bought the first bottle at Bergdoff Goodman here on 5 th ave. After a few days I convinced myself that HR was the one for me. It isn't ! However during that period I was shopping online for another bottle. Target had a good price and good online reviews so I went with them.

The bottle arrived and I immediately noticed that the box had a different shade of red compared to the BG purchase. I think you can see that clearly in the photo I sent you. Also if you look at the Guerlain logo they use a little round circle with the line running down through the middle. If you notice on the bottle from Target the circle is not colored in. All Guerlain fragrance that I have seens have a black circle. There is a different text layout on front of the BG bottle than the target bottle. Look at the photo again. Also the top notes were there but the strength and longevity of the fragrance was not the same. HR is a REALLY strong fragrance on me. I can barely wash it off with soap..."

I haven't seen many Guerlain bottles so I will reserve my opinion at this point. I hope those who own many Guerlains, especially Habit Rouge bottles, will offer their opinions.

Thanks Bigsly.

One part you left out though is the phone call that I received from a Target customer rep once I filed a claim with the BBB. They were instrumental in me getting my money refunded back. The rep apologized for having let that type of product "slip" into the mix without noticing it. Don't be afraid to bark if you think you got duped.

No big deal. I made a stink and got my money back.

I wanted to just focus on the boxes, rather than a particular company's customer service. I'd really like to see the bottles and a close up of the labels, though.