Code of Conduct

Default Why no love for...

...Bleu De Chanel? Please forgive my being a newb to frags but genuinely curious is the negative reviews based on comparisons to the "better" classic chanels or are the notes in Bleu just that much of a disappointment to experienced noses?
    Last edited by peake1; 27th March 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Default Re: Why no love for...

Do a search of Bleu de Chanel in this forum and you'll get plenty of opinions.

there are at least a dozen threads discussing Bleu de Chanel. Use the search box to locate them.

Quote Originally Posted by peake1 View Post
    Why no love for... ...Bleu De Chanel?
    Because it's generic rubbish.

I will give it some love. It smells good straight out of the bottle and good for the Spring and Summer. One of the better designer frags on the shelves at the moment.

You can find other generic, nice fragrances without a Chanel price tag, e.g. Nautica Voyage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    This!

...Bleu De Chanel? Please forgive my being a newb to frags but genuinely curious is the negative reviews based on comparisons to the "better" classic chanels or are the notes in Bleu just that much of a disappointment to experienced noses?
    I personally think it's really a nice summer/spring fragrance. It sells very well and Chanel backs up their fragrances by keeping them on the market unlike the "we'll just run it as a limited edition so in case people don't like it we have an excuse and if it sells really well we'll screw them again and release the 50 bottles and make them buy from Ebay scalpers" Thierry Mugler business model. Bleu is a great daytime fragrance that smells good, projects well, lasts long, but isn't the most exciting thing you'll smell.
    Last edited by silentrich; 27th March 2012 at 10:55 AM.

I'm actually quite neutral but, being myself an huge Chanel lover, this is not a good thing...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I actually liked Bleu de Chanel, not as shallow and unimaginative as I expected

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm actually quite neutral but, being myself an huge Chanel lover, this is not a good thing...
    This precisely identifies the problem.

IMO its not the best or the worst I have tried tbh

Dependent

Im rather neutral towards this as well. If I had to choose, I might pick Allure Homme or AHS though
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

In a couple of years, you'll be able to answer your own question...

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    , being myself an huge Chanel lover, this is not a good thing...
    Zis

for swap/sale:

I don't like it, at all. Not because the smell is horrible, but because I smell it on everyone, everywere and nobody seem to be able to wear less than 20 sprays of this stuff. And certainly not one of my coworker who leaves a PePe Le Pew trail in the whole building with this frag. I imagine he drains a 100ml bottle every week.

I like it. There's some love for it. There's some hate for it. I think it's because Chanel is somewhat known for having pretty solid releases and this one goes towards the generic side. But, people will be pleased by the scent, it's easy to like, it's hard to fall in love with when there are so many better options.

It's a perfect blend in to work scent for me.

It's my signature work scent. Ppl like it. Not as much as my regular signature scent (Aventus) but still gets noticed. It's perfect for spring and summer...

It IS generic though, but that is what the masses like. So like I said, it's perfect for work

Agree
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I have no ill feelings toward this scent and think it's OK.

Blog Entries

There are varying opinions on Bleu de Chanel here on Basenotes; I think there's at least 1 thread about BdC every 10 days on the first page of the forum.

Personally, I like it and I am strongly considering buying a bottle for summer. Thanks to Sephora, I have several samples of Bleu, and I'll just replenish until I have enough money for a bottle. :-D

I like it a lot.

I like it, one of my favorites from Chanel.
    Seems like most of the negative views come from the comparison of the older releases.
    Don't let no nose here fool you though. If you like it & works for you, that's all that matters.

Banned

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel - One is immediately greeted with a very fresh, citrus pas de trois by the tangy orange tree, the tart lemon tree and the zesty grapefruit. Warm pink peppercorn as well as a well-developed peppermint join in to make a very crisp cocktail as it flows to the waiting middle. Wonderfully, spicy and sweet nutmeg and a somewhat penetrating ginger, floating on an ethereal cloud of sweet jasmine, subsume the delightful opening. The lighthearted heart is drawn to the strong, woody base with its dry cedar and bright and fresh sandalwood, along with a smattering of evocative incense. The welcoming base is augmented by patchouli with its slight peppery, herbaceous aspects, vetiver with its earthy grassiness as well as radiant labdanum imparting a sweet and salty, vegetal, mossy facet. Thence, the resplendent base meanders to its soft drydown. Really an all-season scent thriving in spring, summer and fall, this mainstream scent is subtly nuanced enough to set it apart. This pleasantly refreshing composition has good longevity and good projection.

&1!

Personally, I found it pleasant enough, but nothing special. Kind of thing I would wear but not buy.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I like it - great inoffensive a bit boring safe nice well made frag for office & day time wear !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

It smells a little unisex for me sometimes..and I swear there is a note of Coco in there. Just me though. I don't like unisex, make it all man or all woman please.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Because Bleu de Chanel is boring to the point of tears.

I did a quick sampling and found it abrasive and forgettable (other than the harsh quality at first). Here's the main thing: there is so much better, if you are an aficionado. If you are a "I just wanna smell good" guy, then go ahead and buy it and feel proud to be wearing a Chanel (that seems to be what they were aiming for). You don't need us to validate that, and you are "stimulating the economy" too. A "win-win situation" !

I think Chanel perfumes tend to smell the same for the most part..I think I am becoming more of a Dior person. I tried on that Chance Eau Fraiche, way masculine..smelled like Bleu with that lime/citrusy note..I think the Fraiche smelled unisex. Don't like the limey smell.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I quite like it.
    As some have said, Chanel have pretty high standards to live up to.
    Allure gets a fair amount of bad press too for the same reason.

Bleu is ok, but not good as Chanel mens classics - Antaeus and Egoiste

I like it for the Spring and Summer. It's more interesting to me than most other fresh designer scents, and it smells much less synthetic.

I rarely reach for it, but if I'm in the mood, it satisfies.

Bleu and YSL L'Homme are unpopular here, but I think they're my favorite fresh designer scents (to the extent a fresh designer could be a favorite of mine). Also, I'm using the definition "easy to buy at Sephora or Macy's" for designer.

I like it. I have a few samples but still haven't pulled the trigger on a full bottle yet. I think I will tho in the coming weeks. The times I've wore it I've gotten a couple compliments. Women really like this stuff. It may be generic and boring to Basenoters but keep in mind most of the poeple you will come in contact with aren't Basenoters. The general public will eat this stuff up.
    twitter.com/_notufatjesus

coney,
    Agreed on the general public and as a newbie to frags so far I really enjoy it especially the dry down. Just for fun I did a litl' side by side comparison with another fav designer YSL La Nuit with a group of lady friends and the Bleu was the preferred by far. I was surprised myself but then as I often see pedestrian noses might even prefer Curve over certain highly rated niche smells?? I guess it's all in the nose of the beholder.

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's some kind of contemporary French chic throwback scent, playing off the previously used title.

I was reminded of Silver Mountain Water while wearing it. This is just a so-so reaction for me, as I find SMW to be rather dull.

BdC is okay, nothing wrong with it, but probably the last thing I'd want to buy and own. I'd much rather wear Cool Water.

Bleu does not last.....And it does not smell all that great either.....Gary

The accord is an olfactory cliche. The fact that Chanel executed it really well, with high quality ingredients, does not change the fact that it's an overdone, generic kind of citrus scent.

That said, it doesn't SUCK. It's just 'no big deal'...nobody's all-time favorite.

Basenotes Member

I didn't think it was awful (I smelled it before joining here and reading the "not good" reviews).

To me, it reminded me of either Eternity or Hugo Boss. There was something in it that just kind of turned my nose (but that's me.) I say, if you like something, though, who cares?

Basenotes Junkie

I picked up a 100 ml at my last visit to the tax free at the airport, and I really like it.

It's no match for my Creeds, but it's a great every-day-scent, and several girls I know including my girlfriend really likes it. It's fairly inoffensive as well, and it makes it pretty good for daily wear.

I just like it - it's nothing special, and I suppose it's somewhat overpriced, but still, I really like having it in my collection No hate here.

The dry down smells quite cheap on my skin, and I realize "cheap" is a misnomer when referring to Chanel. However, there is a synthetic woodiness to Bleu on my skin, akin to the drydown of Kenneth Cole's RSVP (which I loathe, incidentally.)

Maybe it's just a body chemistry thing...
    Snarky is as snarky does.

"Boring" and "generic"? I'd have to agree with these descriptors. It was also very weak when I smelled it a couple days ago at a dept. store. A Chanel rep happened to be standing next to me when she heard my opinion and wanted me to smell the newest Allure sport instead. I didn't like that either.