Code of Conduct

Default Manly scent notes

Everyone knows flowers are for women, right?

And leather, whiskey and tobacco are only for men, right? (One locked thread went round and round on this for three pages. )

This is a hilarious take on men's notes in fragrance: 15 Manliest Smells in the World.

I know tons of leather, tobacco and whiskey notes, and a sawdust note in Dzing! but I am waiting for the accolades when the "bowling alley note" makes its appearance! LOL!

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/06/23/15-manly-smells/
    Last edited by Primrose; 11th March 2012 at 10:30 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Manly scent notes

Thanks for the great page! You are right, there is a clear need for a bowling alley frag! (After all, a few years back there was a not too short fashion for bowling shoes, introduced, if I'm not wrong, by Prada. Too bad her perfumes are so apologetic). I am also intrigued by the gun solvent, but CDG has probably covered this already.

Funny also the mention of Old spice, itself derived from ur-masculine Tabu.

cacio

Interesting and entertaining link. I was just smelling a fragrance a few days ago that I liked and thought it smelled like gunpowder from shotguns. I can't remember what frag it was though. I will have to brainstorm.

BTW I love the smell of Hoppes No 9.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Thanks for the great page! You are right, there is a clear need for a bowling alley frag! (After all, a few years back there was a not too short fashion for bowling shoes, introduced, if I'm not wrong, by Prada. Too bad her perfumes are so apologetic). I am also intrigued by the gun solvent, but CDG has probably covered this already.

Funny also the mention of Old spice, itself derived from ur-masculine Tabu.

cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    Interesting and entertaining link. I was just smelling a fragrance a few days ago that I liked and thought it smelled like gunpowder from shotguns. I can't remember what frag it was though. I will have to brainstorm.

BTW I love the smell of Hoppes No 9.
    I am really sensitive to gun cleaning solvent. I don't like it at all! A necessary evil to remove caking. I do like the petrol/gasoline note in Fahrenheit, my SOTD. (I also like the women's Caron En Avion, orange blossom, leather and AVGAS! I like my AVGAS clear and blue!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gunpowder is a note I wish I smelled more of in perfumery.

Some flowers are reserved for men. Lavender, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Gunpowder is a note I wish I smelled more of in perfumery.

Some flowers are reserved for men. Lavender, for example.
    I hope you're not serious in the above note.

Jicky is very high in lavender and it is located in the women's sections of Guerlain boutiques, and in women's sections even on discount sites. But don't tell that to Sean Connery, who wears it anyway with manly panache. For that matter, lavender is a key note in Mouchoir de Monsieur and Pour Un Homme, or Hammam Bouquet. Don't tell me not to wear those either, because I do! Queen Victoria was a great user of lavender perfumes, and it was very fashionable among women.

I wonder what a shoe polish note would smell like in a fragrance. I recall my father's Kiwi shoe kit and t-shirt rags with a wire brush for suede items. Always groomed and elegant.
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th March 2012 at 04:32 AM.

An entertaining read.

I think "aircraft hangar" should also fit in here somewhere. The metallic smell and the oil and fuel. Unmistakable. Ground the aircraft before refueling, folks. (Runs for the Vol de Nuit!)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I hope you're not serious in the above note.

Jicky is very high in lavender and it is located in the women's sections of Guerlain boutiques, and in women's sections even on discount sites. But don't tell that to Sean Connery, who wears it anyway with manly panache. For that matter, lavender is a key note in Mouchoir de Monsieur and Pour Un Homme, or Hammam Bouquet. Don't tell me to wear those either, because I do! Queen Victoria was a great user of lavender perfumes, and it was very fashionable among women.

I wonder what a shoe polish note would smell like in a fragrance. I recall my father's Kiwi shoe kit and t-shirt rags with a wire brush for suede items. Always groomed and elegant.
    I did not mean to imply that lavender is reserved for men and cannot be used by women. However, you'd be hard pressed to find classic fougeres that didn't employ lavender in some way. The notion that men cannot wear flowers is therefore not entirely accurate.

BTW - I chuckle in good humor to read about how Connery supposedly wears Jicky. I suppose if Connery said he also wore Green Irish Tweed, the skeptics would suddenly step in . . .

I did not mean to imply that lavender is reserved for men and cannot be used by women. However, you'd be hard pressed to find classic fougeres that didn't employ lavender in some way. The notion that men cannot wear flowers is therefore not entirely accurate.

BTW - I chuckle in good humor to read about how Connery supposedly wears Jicky. I suppose if Connery said he also wore Green Irish Tweed, the skeptics would suddenly step in . . .
    My OP was mocking the gender distinctions in scent notes. Did you see the emoticons?

Any man or woman can wear any scent he or she chooses.

Some of the manliest men in history (who were known for their gambling, cigar-smoking, womanising, dueling, horse-riding and bare-knuckle boxing) wore jasmine.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My OP was mocking the gender distinctions in scent notes. Did you see the emoticons?

Any man or woman can wear any scent he or she chooses.

Some of the manliest men in history (who were known for their gambling, cigar-smoking, womanising, dueling, horse-riding and bare-knuckle boxing) wore jasmine.
    Yeah, I tend to ignore emoticons.

Alas, on the Internet, it's all we have to help us along and help prevent misunderstandings--of which there are many.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Alas, on the Internet, it's all we have to help us along and help prevent misunderstandings--of which there are many.
    I'm not talking about you here, but I find that often they are the tool for passive aggressive posters.

Blog Entries

I'm not talking about you here, but I find that often they are the tool for passive aggressive posters.
    I hope not so here - I pretty much take everybody at their smilies. It took me a while to figure out some people, but all the usages seem to resolve to good intentions so far. Some people use "tongue out" where others use a wink and others use a standard smiley, but I tend to pick the most innocent meaning, and it usually has the most humor, so I tend to believe that's a valid determinant.

I had to start using them - I was headed for a ban without them. I don't remember who suggested it - maybe a mod - but it saved my bacon. I had to give up my really excellent sarcasm, digital noogies, and friendly redneck kidding, but that stuff just got me into trouble. Kind of a shame, but people here tend to jump the gun and assume or fear the worst a lot of the time.

I wish we had a better selection of emoticons. The old ones were a little better, IMO. I have to make "evil" do about quadruple duty now, and I'm sure people aren't getting them all. The old "rolleyes" worked well for a bunch of stuff - this one just doesn't seem to fit as many things.

Anyway, back on topic - LOL at Sean Connery and GIT! Sometimes I think we need some secret code words to discuss Creed scents in a calm way. Perhaps we could talk about Connery loving "Red Scottish Tartan" by "Cedré", and nobody would be the wiser. "Wow! Where can we get it? Is is FBW? What about a blind buy, if I like Cool Water?" Oh, yeah - definitely!

As for lavender, I'm personally iffy about it. I know that it's (presently) almost a "male-designated" note, but I personally find it more feminine than the sweet stuff they're putting in a lot of the new masculines. And, oddly, I think jasmine is pretty good for guys. So I guess what I'm saying is that personal impressions of notes can vary widely, and when I say that some note does or doesn't "seem" masculine - well, it's just my personal feeling. It can't really be wrong, can it?

Anyway, time for bed. G'nite, all!

That whole website is an absolute hoot! Thanks for the link, Primrose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I agree!

My favorite is charcoal. My wife is actually scared of lighting charcoal - it's that manly. The last time she tried to light it, she accidentally used diferential gear oil instead of charcoal lighter fluid, and freaked out when it wouldn't light.

"Here! You do it!"

That's like music to manly ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Anyway, back on topic - LOL at Sean Connery and GIT! Sometimes I think we need some secret code words to discuss Creed scents in a calm way. Perhaps we could talk about Connery loving "Red Scottish Tartan" by "Cedré", and nobody would be the wiser. "Wow! Where can we get it? Is is FBW? What about a blind buy, if I like Cool Water?" Oh, yeah - definitely!

As for lavender, I'm personally iffy about it. I know that it's (presently) almost a "male-designated" note, but I personally find it more feminine than the sweet stuff they're putting in a lot of the new masculines. And, oddly, I think jasmine is pretty good for guys. So I guess what I'm saying is that personal impressions of notes can vary widely, and when I say that some note does or doesn't "seem" masculine - well, it's just my personal feeling. It can't really be wrong, can it?

Anyway, time for bed. G'nite, all!
    Yes, Red, gender of fragrance is all relative. And it's all opinion, often depending on a lot of factors. Traditonal aromatherapy cites rose as feminine, and jasmine as masculine. Go figure. I loved the old Yardley English Lavender. I still do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Yes, Suga, that whole site is a send-up of all things construed as gentlemanly! I laughed at the articles.

Thanks for the link Primrose

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Thanks for the link Primrose
    Laph, I am still laughing about the "bowling alley" note. Which parfumeur will be the first brave man to use it??

Geoffrey Beene did Bowling Green, so why not Bowling Alley? ROTFL!

Wow, you talking about taking a walk down memory lane. That was an excellent read, I can't even believe the gun cleaning solvent. The countless hours I have spent using it.

Nice post Primrose !

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    Wow, you talking about taking a walk down memory lane. That was an excellent read, I can't even believe the gun cleaning solvent. The countless hours I have spent using it.

Nice post Primrose !
    Boomer, I am glad you got a laugh!

I agree!

My favorite is charcoal. My wife is actually scared of lighting charcoal - it's that manly. The last time she tried to light it, she accidentally used diferential gear oil instead of charcoal lighter fluid, and freaked out when it wouldn't light.

"Here! You do it!"

That's like music to manly ears!
    Red, I agree that charcoal cooking is a manly behaviour, and I think another manly note is automobile washing soap like Maguire's or Mother's. It's pleasantly scented, and the DH always washes the cars, which I think is manly of him.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th March 2012 at 03:17 PM.

I also like the women's Caron En Avion, orange blossom, leather and AVGAS!
    Ehm, make room for this manliest of men... we have just learned that leather and gas are for men and your orange blossom is so dandified as you always care to point out, too. So, hands off my En Avion!

Loved the "Is It Manly?" poll LOL

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thanks for sharing the list- it does conjure some memories about the scents owned

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Ehm, make room for this manliest of men... we have just learned that leather and gas are for men and your orange blossom is so dandified as you always care to point out, too. So, hands off my En Avion!
    LOL! Larimar, I adore En Avion! I have found it's like Dior Fahrenheit on me: the orange blossom, the leather, the "petrol" notes, and the florals. I enjoy both!

Banned
    Blog Entries

And, oddly, I think jasmine is pretty good for guys.
    Yeah, I feel the same way about Jasmine. Oddly unisex that one.