Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default A question on decanting

Hi everyone. Sorry to trouble you all with this question but when I searched for 'decant', I could not find a proper answer to my question. I might have missed the thread though.

Anyway, I am currently using Travalo atomizers but I m starting to find that it gets expensive if I want to get 5~10ml of a single frag into a Travalo. Hence, I am planning to switch to the typical bottles which almost everyone is using from accessoriesforfragrances. My only concern now is that by spraying it from the original bottle to the atomizer, does it change the longevity/projection or even the top notes? I heard that the top notes might disappear a little faster than usual from the decant as compared to spraying from the original bottle but the base notes are totally not affected.

Sorry for the question. Just need a little help with clarification

Thanks in advance!
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Default Re: A question on decanting

Idk for certain but I would say that it shouldn't affect anything significantly due to the fact that air doesn't hit the the fragrance enough for it to diffuse. It's pretty much based on chemistry. This is just my guess btw.

No, there is no deterioration in quality if you spray into a vial or an atomizer.

Oxigen is bad for fragrance over the very long run, so if you are planning to keep the stuff for many years it is best not to spray, but this is not a factor for the regular use of travel atomizer.

Depending on your atomizer, you may need a little funnel - and as for the atomizer, you want to use a different funnel for each fragrance. If the source bottle is splash, you need a plastic pipette. So remember to buy those as well.

cacio

Blog Entries

If so, I haven't noticed it. I've decanted many of my perfumes into those atomizers with no degradation of the scent.

Honestly some decants I've gotten over the past year have smelled weak.
    This is confirmed by smelling from a FB later on.

There's no scientific proof behind my thought but I'm certain of it.
    If I had to guess a ratio, it would be for every 15 vials 2 are abnormal.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

But are these decants from someone else's bottle? If so it's possible their bottle may have deteriorated. That is, the fault may be in the bottle rather than the decanting process.

No, there is no deterioration to the scent of the fragrance. I haven't noticed any changes at all. I have been doing it for a while and never ran into trouble. You can either get 5-10ml glass or plastic atomizers and you would be all set

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    No, there is no deterioration in quality if you spray into a vial or an atomizer.

Oxigen is bad for fragrance over the very long run, so if you are planning to keep the stuff for many years it is best not to spray, but this is not a factor for the regular use of travel atomizer.
    this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't believe it affects the juice in any way but that's just my opinion. I assume it does more harm than good to the juice though

I have a 15ml travel spray I periodically top up with one particular scent, and it has sat unused in my fragrance cabinet since last summer. Recently I pulled it out and tried some of the juice that was in it; there was no noticeable degradation of scent quality. I really wouldn't worry about decanting into travel sprays, since I haven't smelled any difference in mine.

Dependent

Thanks for the input everyone! Now I feel less paranoid gonna grab some plastic atomizers later!
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I'm always worried about this. Just when I was getting over it, I see that Brian Chambers is hosting a split that he's saying he's doing it without atomizers to keep the top notes from deteriorating... Here I go again.

Blog Entries

If you carefully line up the sprayer with the opening of the receiving atomizer, it all ends up in the atomizer anyway.

You won't even feel the difference

When you spray, the atomized perfume (which forms tiny droplets when it sprays out) is more exposed to air, so more of the volatile top notes will evaporate in the process.

When I decant spray bottles I try to press the sprayer very slowly so it squirts more than mists. My thought is that if the juice stays in a stream, it is less exposed to air and will lose less of the top notes.

The less you can smell the scent when you are decanting the better, because that means the top notes are not evaporating as much. I haven't done any controlled experiments - this is just conjecture on my part.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

When I decant spray bottles I try to press the sprayer very slowly so it squirts more than mists. My thought is that if the juice stays in a stream, it is less exposed to air and will lose less of the top notes.
    Same here but it becomes cumbersome when you're decanting upwards of 20ml.

But I'm uncertain whether only top notes are tainted. I feel the perfume as a whole is tarnished.

for swap/sale:

I'd worry not so much about evaporation, as I would about the chemicals that make up the frag getting a major exposure to oxygen (thus opening them to the possibility of oxidation) in the spray-method of transfer.

Pipetting out of a bottle that you could get the sprayer off of would seem to be the best way to go, but it seems that many perfumes come in bottles you can't get the top off of.

When I get decants, I guess I'd just rather not think about the methods used.

I've found no issues so far when decanting into good quality atomisers.

Also, try to use glass atomisers over plastic versions for the same reason that perfume bottles are glass and not plastic. Less possibility of reacting. I just end up carrying the bottle.

Before buying a pricey frag I generally round up 7-10 sample vials to create a 1/3-1/2oz decant for testing.

I've had some of those for a while and they smell excellent to this day. I've even compared the decants to the actual bottle when I purchase it and I've had no issues.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I haven't seen any impact. Unless you plan to keep it for long term. Keep it in dry and black spot and you should be fine, especially if you are using the smaller size atomizers (2 to 4 ml).