Code of Conduct

Cool Shaving head.... really need some good tips.

Hey guys,

I started shaving my head 2 weeks ago. I love how it looks, however, with the exception of one time, I haven't gotten as close of a shave as I'd like. I've used everything from Olive Oil, to that Shave Secret oil that you find at Walmart, to Kiehl's cream, and typical Williams soap that I'd brush on. I've used single Bic blades, Mach 3, and once used my cousin's power Fusion.... Just like I do when shaving my face, I do one time with the grain, and a second time against the grain. I get good shaves, but can still see the outlines of where my hair is... looks like a thin layer of black seeds spread on my head.

How can I shave so that I get rid of that? Can dilapidating cream be used?

Default Re: Shaving head.... really need some good tips.

If your going for the chrome dome Steve Austin, well that's the only thing that's going to work. Takes awhile if you change your mind!

What are you referring to, the dilapidating cream? Is is safe to use on your head? I know the bottles say not to use it on your head, but I've seen instances where guys have used it.

I have been shaving my head for a few years now. Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide blades are the best. I use them with a fusion power razor to get even more. I now use Bump Patrol shave gel. Combine these two with some blade buffing shave techniques and I get a great shave. Finish it off with my Cartier Roadster after shave for a smooth conditioned finish.

Hi! Here are some good tips keeping in mind when you shave your head:

-> Trim your hair before shaving if you want to make things as easy as possible.
    -> If you want to avoid having a shiny head, shave with the grain.
    -> Make sure to clean your head and exfoliate if possible to remove dead cells and make shaving easier.
    -> Always use a new blade when shaving your head

i found these tips at:http://www.squidoo.com/best-head-shaving-products-2011

i shaved my head a couple of years ago, and I used the Headblade. It is nice product that makes shaving easier, have you tried this one out? I've also shaved my head with a "normal" razor but I found it uncomfortable, especially when you shave your head for the first time.

using a good shaving cream is also very important to get a close shave.
    live in the NOW!

I haven't tried the headblade yet, but it's definitely on my list. I know people who have used it, and I've not heard a negative thing about it yet. Shaving with regular razors, with the exception of the time I used the Fusion power, is pretty uncomfortable. Plus, because of the shape of my head, only a small part of the blades make contact, so I'm shaving very narrow sections at a time. I'm not necessarily going for the shiny head, I'm wanting to shave it to where you can't still see the hairs about to come through the follicle.

Glad I found this thread! I'm actually going to be in the same boat shortly. FWIW, I've heard good things about that Headblade Sport Ultimate Head Shave
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

As have I... the other thing EVERYONE has said about it is to make sure you get the headslick shave cream with it.... not sure what makes it different or better than others.

Been shaving my head for well over 20 years. Long before it became acceptable.

Always use the latest cartridge system which at this moment happens to be Wilkinson Sword (Schick) Hydro or Gillette Fusion ProGlide with whatever gel takes your fancy.

Don't go in for all that cream and soap and badger brush nonsense that is en vogue at the moment.

Oh, and avoid the Headblade range. It's overpriced and gimmicky.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Don't go in for all that cream and soap and badger brush nonsense that is en vogue at the moment..
    STRONGLY disagree. This is the only way to do it.

You have me by about 10 years, but I've been shaving my head for a decade. I do agree on using the latest cartridge system. I'm using the latest Gillette Fusion right now and it works great. The head blade? I gave it 4-5 shaves and threw it in the trash. It's nothing more than a glorified Gillette Astra blade.

1. Hot shower. You want to get all the dirt, grease, etc. out of your scalp and moisten/soften the skin to prepare it for the ritual. I recommend rubbing a little dab of conditioner into the scalp to keep the skin soft and soften the hairs/stubble.
    2. Use a good glycerine based shaving cream, or better yet, a tallow based triple milled shaving soap (Speick from Germany works wonders and is cheap) in combination with a good quality badger hair shaving brush.
    3. Work the lather into your scalp using the brush in a circular motion. The brush will help to raise the hair from the scalp and it will also exfoliate your skin to keep you from getting razor burn or ingrown hairs.
    4. Shave with the grain.
    5. Re-lather the head using your brush and shave across the grain.
    6. For the ultimate close shave, re-lather a third time and shave against the grain. If you have super sensitive skin, this third pass against the grain can cause issues, but it will give you the super clean dome you are looking for.

If you have really dark hair follicles, it will be tough to make the hair line disappear completely, but a close shave can certainly mitigate the hairline look.