Code of Conduct

Default Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm considering buying this scent for the moment. However, it's not available anymore on Miller Harris and all websites are out of stock. I can get it in a Brussels shop for 170 euro (100ml EdP), but noticed some online retailers offering it for 120 euro (but, as with all others I have checked, currently out of stock). Anybody know a site where I can get a better deal than in Brussels (although it seems to me the RRP)?

And does anybody know if this fragrance is being discontinued?

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon

Sounds like it may be. You could email the Miller Harris Co. That 'out of stock' sign usually means it's on the way out. You may want to get it while you can.

have you tried the scent?... i blind bought a bottle, this has probably been my worst blind buy ever. it came highly recommended to me in a thread here. total disappointment. basic vetiver oil, i barely sensed anything else, no projection, no development... no art at all. could nto believe it. i swapped it long time ago.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Mspa, it's a common misconception that all perfumes need to be complex, they need to have industrial-strength projection and it needs to have development.

That's just not true.

Some perfumes were composed to two dimensional & I'm glad Vetiver Bourbon is not complex. I wear it when I crave unadulterated Indian Ocean vetiver.
    It is hands down the closest perfume to Indian Ocean vetiver.
    If it had rose or incense or anything else in large components in it, it wouldn't be what it is. They even named it aptly - Indian Ocean (bourbon) Vetiver.

Plus it has strong to very strong projection.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 29th March 2014 at 05:30 AM.

for swap/sale:

I know dear hedonist is a fan if it and so am I. This is my favorite vetiver. Its opening vibe so reminds me of vintage greats. I somehow never ended up owning a bottle as, yes, it was obviously discontinued a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I know dear hedonist is a fan if it and so am I. This is my favorite vetiver. Its opening vibe so reminds me of vintage greats. I somehow never ended up owning a bottle as, yes, it was obviously discontinued a while ago.
    You're right about Indian Ocean vetiver reminding you of classics. While colonizing many Indian Ocean nations, the French had farms and orchards of perfumery ingredients. I think Guerlain & Chanel were most active in this.

I wonder when South American vetiver was first introduced into western perfumery. And was it by the Spaniards?

for swap/sale:

Thanks for the replies! I'm testing as we speak. I'm in a limbo over this one. Indeed not much projection. But it's a very nice Vetiver. I actually like it more than the Mona di Orio I bought earlier this month and for which I'm showing signs of buyer remorse. I very much like the middle stage of VB, which takes quite a long time. Then again, it opens and dries down as a classic to me. And then I think, do I want to smell like a classic?

with all respect, i disagree that an artistic parfum could incorporate just a single note, and in the case i believe it derives from a single alcohol diluted ingredient. the name of course suggests that, but names of scents by themselves often don't give you the right idea.

i tend to believe there should be two notes at least, and if of high quality ingredients and masterfully blended, i can imagine them creating a multi-nuanced texture.

it has been years, i might feel different now were i to test it again. though, i remember it 'wet' and musty, probably with good longevity but without a good projection on me.
    ... i will actually go so far to say that if this were my outgoing vetiver experience, i may have ignored vetiver completely.
    Last edited by mspa; 30th March 2014 at 12:05 AM.

Grant included two Miller Harris scents on his list of fragrances that were recently discontinued: Coeur de Fleur and Geranium Bourbon. Not seeing it on the MH site is a bad sign though. Hopefully, it's simply out of stock temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Grant included two Miller Harris scents on his list of fragrances that were recently discontinued: Coeur de Fleur and Geranium Bourbon. Not seeing it on the MH site is a bad sign though. Hopefully, it's simply out of stock temporarily.
    That's because Vetiver Bourbon got discontinued 3 years ago.

for swap/sale:

This looks pretty good. Miller Harris is pretty generous with giving free samples, at least they have been in previous years. I may have to ask them to sample this one. My problem with Miller Harris frags, is that pretty much every one I have tried, sat very close to the skin. All of them screamed high quality though, and had great longevity, but when I have to move my head so close into my arm, just to smell myself, it makes it pointless.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Big fan of Miller Harris, and a big fan of vetiver, but this one just didn't captivate me - but I am glad I have a sample of it. A good vetiver scent for sure, but would be lost in my collection of other vetivers. However, having been discontinued, I would recommend it's purchase if someone were able to get this at a reasonable price. It's pretty good, and will always be in demand due to it's growing scarcity.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

If one likes the smell of vetiver, I cannot fathom how they don't like Vetiver Bourbon.

Projection on me excellent. Longevity very good.

for swap/sale:

i like both Goutal and VE Malle very much smellwise... performance is bad for me again. no longevity, to a point to stop caring about projection. the only vetiver i know of that lasts and projects on me is mona di orio's, and it is blended with many other notes.

Try Lorenzo's Vetiver.
    It's a bit more pronounced.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    My problem with Miller Harris frags, is that pretty much every one I have tried, sat very close to the skin. All of them screamed high quality though, and had great longevity, but when I have to move my head so close into my arm, just to smell myself, it makes it pointless.
    Same here - I really wish that the volume could be turned up a bit on mine.