Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What are your favorite Azzaro fragrances?

For those of us who know (and own) Vintage Azzaro Pour Homme, the search stopped. However, Loris Azzaro (who passed away in 2003, RIP) worked with many great master perfumiers and created a lot of other truly majestic bottles of fragrance.

I, personally, don't have much affection for the current formulation of Azzaro Pour Homme, but it is still an overall decent bottle of juice for the money - the problem is, I have Vintage to compare it to next to it.

However, I wanted to start this thread to give respect to a house that created several fantastic fragrances over the years.

I will start by saying that Vintage Acteur is absolutely incredible and a borderline masterpiece. I picked up an original, mint condition splash bottle and it is phenomenal! The moss is brilliant and this is a scent that only a confident man can attempt to wear.

I also tried a nice bottle of Onyx and was rather fond of it - outside the "Azzaro-vibe" a bit, but definitely some juice with taste and very wearable & versatile.

Love to hear your thoughts...I was originally going to make the thread, "An Ode to Acteur" - but let's broaden the conversation!

Cheers!

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Default Re: What are your favorite Azzaro fragrances?

Jet Lag
    Acteur
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Decibel

Basenotes Plus

Visit
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Puredistance Black

Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

pour Homme
    Acteur
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Visit
    PH
    Onyx

Chrome - by far his best.
    Pure Vetiver - the most over the top vetiver scent on the planet.
    Pure Lavender - nothing pure about it, the modern day version of Caron PH.

I also own PH (new), Visit, Silver Black and Chrome Legend, but am not as fond of them.
    Regards,
    Renato

pour homme intense

oh forgot Chrome

I love Azzaro PH and Acteur. I'm yet to try Visit.

Chrome.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Would have to be Acteur for me.

Actually, I'm looking forward to trying the reformulation. I liked my vintage but true to Azzaro fashion, I think the juice aged badly (I also had a bottle of Pour Homme that was a tad bit off). Need a fresh take on Acteur - don't need any more takes on Pour Homme.

Azzaro Pour Homme (vintage)
    Azzaro Intense Pour Homme
    Acteur (vintage)
    Currently wearing: Ungaro III by Ungaro

1. Azzaro Pour Homme
    2. Azzaro Acteur
    3. Azzaro Onyx
    4. Azzaro Visit
    5. Azzaro Chrome Legend
    6. Azzaro Chrome
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Pour Homme, Intense and Visit
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Acteur !!!
    I've owned and used a large bottle of it back in 1996-1997! It was the vintage formula, not the currently reformulated and completely different one.

- Azzaro ph (vintage)
    - Acteur
    - Onyx
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Acqua di Parma: Colonia Leather
    - Loewe: Esencia
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Revillon: R
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud
    - Knize Ten
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Dior: Aqua Fahrenheit

Azzaro Pour Homme - They a hit a home run with this one.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Murdock

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme - They a hit a home run with this one.
    This.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

+1 on Pour Homme, Acteur, and Visit. Not a fan of Chrome.

Pour Homme
    Chrome
    Silver Black

honorable mention - visit

Fan of Chrome
    Silver Black / Onyx
    Pour Homme
    Pour Homme Elixir

I own almost all of them, and my favorite is Azzaro Pour Homme, off course.

Another vote for Visit. I have Pour Homme but for some reason, it just reads as "grandpa" on me.

Thank you, everyone -

Just a couple points to mention...I have held off on Visit, even though the composition (top notes with nutmeg, pink pepper & cardamom integrating with incense and nice wood and amber in the base) sounds fantastic, I have heard it is rather synthetic from a number of people and also there is simply way too much nutmeg in here. A final question - is there really a curry smell to Visit...? That was brought up before. But, then, I'm torn because Annick Menardo's work is usually very good.

Second - Chrome. I wore this back in the mid-to-late 90's soon after it came out. I liked it and remember it being refreshing but it didn't last long. I would spray 4-5 extra shots and still only get about 4 hours out of it. I remember, because by the time lunch came at noon - I could hardly tell I had doused myself in fragrance that morning (at the office by around 8am). Good stuff on weekends, warm weather, and good scent though.

Final point - I had the opportunity to try a sample of Azzaro Pour Homme Intense...I, too, was very impressed. I found it very different from ApH - very rich and something I would want a full bottle of. Problem is long discontinued, very rare and prices are high - $120 is the going price for 100ml on eBay! But, it too, definitely caught my nose and was awesome!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Thank you Renato -

I wanted to thank you for chiming in on the thread and also having me take another look at the Pure Series (Vetiver & Lavender you mentioned). I have yet to try them but have read reviews.

I am a huge fan of vetiver and this was put aside because vetiver is not dominant here according to most (but an integrated note), ironically the same comments have been made about Pure Lavender (with some people not getting a lot of lavender with the other notes). I just went back and looked at both scent pyramids and the notes that comprise them in both. I may search for a small bottle/sample of each, as I really like the compositions - especially with the notes of vetiver and lavender integrated. Plus, I have enough pure Vetivers and very dark vetiver-dominant scents, this could be a really nice one to wear that is more balanced. A big fan of Caron Pour Un Homme (as a classic "fresh scent") - you already got me searching for a bottle with your handful of words. :-)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Chrome - by far his best.
    Pure Vetiver - the most over the top vetiver scent on the planet.
    Pure Lavender - nothing pure about it, the modern day version of Caron PH.

I also own PH (new), Visit, Silver Black and Chrome Legend, but am not as fond of them.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by ericrico; 15th March 2012 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Thank you Renato -

I wanted to thank you for chiming in on the thread and also having me take another look at the Pure Series (Vetiver & Lavender you mentioned). I have yet to try them but have read reviews.

I am a huge fan of vetiver and this was put aside because vetiver is not dominant here according to most (but an integrated note), ironically the same comments have been made about Pure Lavender (with some people not getting a lot of lavender with the other notes). I just went back and looked at both scent pyramids and the notes that comprise them in both. I may search for a small bottle/sample of each, as I really like the compositions - especially with the notes of vetiver and lavender integrated. Plus, I have enough pure Vetivers and very dark vetiver-dominant scents, this could be a really nice one to wear that is more balanced. A big fan of Caron Pour Un Homme (as a classic "fresh scent") - you already got me searching for a bottle with your handful of words. :-)

Cheers!
    A warning - I am very much in a minority here about these two scents.

Most people here in the past have bagged Pure Vetiver shockingly - think of it as Chrome, with the citrus replaced by Vetiver, but still having Chrome's great projection.

Much to my surprise though, one day a Basenotes guru - Scentemental - chimed in on one of those vetiver threads pointing out that Pure Vetiver was an over-the-top work of art like something Andy Warhol would do (well, words something like that and to that effect).

Pure Lavender I've just always liked - though the last thing it is - is pure lavender. It is absolutely nothing like the real pure type lavender scents, like Woods of wWndsor Lavender or Aqua Di Parma Lavanda Tonica.

I did manage to finally try Pure Cedrat in Italy five years ago. I thought it was pretty good when I sprayed it on my wrist in the shop, but lacking in the strength of the other two Pures, so I passed on it. Only problem was, two hours later as I was driving back home from that city, I started having regrets - it seemed to be smelling even better on my wrist than it had earlier. If I ever come across it again, I may retest and consider a purchase.
    Regards,
    Renato

Pour Homme.

Also own and like Visit, Acteur and Silver Black.

Curious about Chrome, Legend and both Nows but reviews seem very mixed about all of them.

The Pure line still in production?
    I never tried them, very hard to find it in stores here at Brazil (here at Brazil Azzaro is one of the best-seller brands, and Azzaro Pour Homme ALWAYS, since the 80s, is on the top10 best selling fragrances of the year, actually always in the top5)

Hey Renato -

Good point...that was why my hesitation was there with Pure Vetiver. It is considered a Woody Aromatic with a vetiver accord, but not dominant. To call something "Pure" anything and then add top notes, additional middle and basenotes (total of around 10 with the vetiver!) is hardly a purist approach. But, forget the name...I know of of the reviewer you speak of and highly regard him as well. Case closed - I just found a bottle on eBay and sprung for it!

My vetiver wardrobe is starting to grow roots (pun intended) - I need to try something new and why not go with an Azzaro house fragrance that utilizes numerous notes in the composition that already appeal to me. Throw in a nice dose of vetiver...done deal. I look forward to it on warmer days.

Sidenote (apart from this Azzaro thread) - have you tried Adolfo Dominguez's Vetiver Hombre? Fantastic, ethereal and clean vetiver. Now, that could be called "Pure Vetiver" and hold true to name. Really a year-round scent, but due to its strength and projection - another fantastic warm weather vetiver that is truly great. Hard to find in the US, but I managed to get a bottle. Sold all over Europe and the rest of the world...

As for the Pure Cedrat - I wanted to ask, but refrained. Trying Pure Cedrat in Italy...I already like your style (my favorite place in the known universe - went there for my honeymoon!) Like all citrus-based fragrances, it is about longevity. I find that applying liberally to skin and clothes gives me more time. And, with great refreshing notes, the ones I know and love never become cloying. I'm in the dead of winter right now while you're in summer 'down-under' - but it would be perfect for now. Citrus scents are impossible not to love for me. Another one I will look for in 3-4 months time...when you let us borrow the sun for a bit. ;-)

One thing I want to applaud you on, Renato - as I've read several of your posts and you and I have been on other threads. You seem to always have a slightly-unique perspective and I applaud that. While others "+1" a ton of threads, you often bring originality and a different, well-constructed view. I truly respect you on this forum and look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers, mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    A warning - I am very much in a minority here about these two scents.

Most people here in the past have bagged Pure Vetiver shockingly - think of it as Chrome, with the citrus replaced by Vetiver, but still having Chrome's great projection.

Much to my surprise though, one day a Basenotes guru - Scentemental - chimed in on one of those vetiver threads pointing out that Pure Vetiver was an over-the-top work of art like something Andy Warhol would do (well, words something like that and to that effect).

Pure Lavender I've just always liked - though the last thing it is - is pure lavender. It is absolutely nothing like the real pure type lavender scents, like Woods of wWndsor Lavender or Aqua Di Parma Lavanda Tonica.

I did manage to finally try Pure Cedrat in Italy five years ago. I thought it was pretty good when I sprayed it on my wrist in the shop, but lacking in the strength of the other two Pures, so I passed on it. Only problem was, two hours later as I was driving back home from that city, I started having regrets - it seemed to be smelling even better on my wrist than it had earlier. If I ever come across it again, I may retest and consider a purchase.
    Regards,
    Renato

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Azzaro pour Homme (vintage or current)
    Azzaro pour Homme Intense
    Acteur
    Pure Vetiver
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed