Code of Conduct

Default Budget Fragrance Clones

Hi there gang,

I have been thinking recently, and searching these forums, taking fragrance snobbery out of this for a second, if someone wanted to build a collection of cheap fragrances which closely imitate more expensive ones, what would it contain. I have come up with this so far...

Ted Lapidus Black Soul (1 Million)
    Cuba Gold (JPG Le Male)
    Cool Water (G.I.T)

What others would there be?

Cheers chaps

Blog Entries

Default Re: Budget Fragrance Clones

Joop (Original Santal)
    TMC (Original Vetiver)
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Rochas Man - New Haarlem.

Paco XS - Himalaya
    Al Rehab Silver - Silver Mountain Water

Banned

Pino Silvestre (Granville)

Lamborghini Mitico = Le Male
    Sean John Unforgivable = Creed MI
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue

Basenotes Member

Why not get a fake Rolex too? Complete the facade.

Because they aren't fake? Just smell a likes? So you are saying why not get a watch which looks similar to a Rolex, but is made by another company and doesn't cost as much? Don't most people do that?

Banned
    Blog Entries

oh boy. we got ourselves another elitist. -_-

Basenotes Member

MTB79, "Don't most people do that?" What most people do is irrelevant.

NoirDrakkar, Elitist? Possibly.

When you buy a replica, copy, or fake you are doing a disservice to art.

A haute designer has spent their talents and resources to create something new. Something that challenges what we once thought true. And thus they change our world for the better.

Rolex, Creed, and Louis Vuitton have spent hundreds of years dedicated to creating their brand. Pushing forward aesthetic, form, and craftsmanship.

When you buy a knockoff you are buying a lesser impression of what you wish to have. And in some perspective you are feeding a culture of fraud.

You want but can't afford GIT, MI, and OV? Instead of getting three fakes buy one split of GIT and build from there.

I wish someday to own every Creed scent made. Today I have six. I have contributed to Creed's coffers empowering them to grow their business. Develop new fragrances. And rewarding their work.

Copyright law doesnt cover scents. But that doesnt mean you have to participate in what is at least recognizable as slightly ugly behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by BDTIII View Post
    Why not get a fake Rolex too? Complete the facade.
    Get lost. The OP is seeking out some answers and has every right to do so. Trolling his thread is hardly called for.

PS : you should really try to find out the definition of what a "fake" is.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Gres Cabaret EDP.....while I cannot find a particular fragrance that closely resembles this one, at the price of under $30, it is a really nice rose and woodsy scent. Its marketed for women, but the pink pepper and incense/woods makes this one work for a guy. The rose is light, but present.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Member

Surface,

"get lost". And I'm trolling?

The OP is seeking answers and frankly speaking I believe mine was most relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Pino Silvestre (Granville)
    Really? I have and love Pino and have been wanting to try Granville.

Surface,

"get lost". And I'm trolling?

The OP is seeking answers and frankly speaking I believe mine was most relevant.
    Maybe I should not have told you to "get lost". But frankly, stating the most obvious fact.....as if the OP is some sort of idiot....that Creeds have better quality than Coty fragrances is just odd and rude. I think the OP knows that.

Personally, I am just happy that another guy is getting into fragrances. This is a great way to start out.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Member

Surface,

"obvious fact" Perhaps not obvious to everyone and that would not make them some sort of an idiot. Just uninformed.

The thread is entitled: Budget Fragrance Clones. I believe the root word is budget. We are all on some measure of a budget. And I offer that a split or decant is a great budget option as opposed to a replica. I think I addressed his needs with another way of looking at his budget.

Perhaps you took offense?

I did not intend to insult anyone. The OP or you.

I remain convinced that owning one original scent is better than a handful of (whatever imposter colognes are called).

And dont worry about telling me to get lost. You are passionate about fragrance and that can bring out the talons. I appreciate that.

Basenotes Member

Dbl Post, apologies
    Last edited by BDTIII; 15th March 2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Double Post

Surface,

"obvious fact" Perhaps not obvious to everyone and that would not make them some sort of an idiot. Just uninformed.

The thread is entitled: Budget Fragrance Clones. I believe the root word is budget. We are all on some measure of a budget. And I offer that a split or decant is a great budget option as opposed to a replica. I think I addressed his needs with another way of looking at his budget.

Perhaps you took offense?

I did not intend to insult anyone. The OP or you.

I remain convinced that owning one original scent is better than a handful of (whatever imposter colognes are called).

And dont worry about telling me to get lost. You are passionate about fragrance and that can bring out the talons. I appreciate that.
    Thanks and I do understand where you are comming from as well.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

MJ Legend (New Haarlem)

No no, don't get me wrong. I know budget clones dont compare, and I have both G.I.T and Aventus from the more top level fragrances, although only 30ml as I split and sold the remaining 90ml of each to make it more affordable.

My question is one of curiosity.

Mont Blanc Individuel -- Original Santal
    Love & Luck -- MI
    The Secret -- 1 Million

Rochas Man - New Haarlem.
    Sean John Unforgivable - Creed MI
    Paco XS - Himalaya
    Al Rehab Silver - Silver Mountain Water
    Cool Water - GIT/Bleecker Street

Quote Originally Posted by Ete View Post
    Mont Blanc Individuel -- Original Santal
    I see this similarity also.

Banned
    Blog Entries

NoirDrakkar, Elitist? Possibly.
    When you buy a replica, copy, or fake you are doing a disservice to art.
    A haute designer has spent their talents and resources to create something new. Something that challenges what we once thought true. And thus they change our world for the better.

Rolex, Creed, and Louis Vuitton have spent hundreds of years dedicated to creating their brand. Pushing forward aesthetic, form, and craftsmanship.
    When you buy a knockoff you are buying a lesser impression of what you wish to have. And in some perspective you are feeding a culture of fraud.
    You want but can't afford GIT, MI, and OV? Instead of getting three fakes buy one split of GIT and build from there.

I wish someday to own every Creed scent made. Today I have six. I have contributed to Creed's coffers empowering them to grow their business. Develop new fragrances. And rewarding their work.
    Copyright law doesnt cover scents. But that doesnt mean you have to participate in what is at least recognizable as slightly ugly behavior.
    Disrespectful, not really.

99% of people in real life, who are not nearly as concerned with fragrances, are not going to care.

Yes, I use Cool Water, instead of Creed's Green Irish Tweed. Nobody's going to know the difference. And I'm not trying to make people think I'm wearing GIT, unlike your example with a Rolex watch.

Being able to copy the successful has improved our economy in so many ways. There's no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    Joop (Original Santal)
    TMC (Original Vetiver)
    Original Santal has a Joope vibe, but get Mont Blanc's Individuel instead. Same perfumer and he did Individuel first.

Extreme Oud --- Pure Oud

for swap/sale:

BDTIII, i'm sorry but i don't think you have a point here, comparing similar fragrances to fake Rolex watches, specially when you say that Creed spent many years working to push aesthetical boundaries forward, while others just took advantage of their work for their own profit, simply putting out some clones. Should i remind you, for instance, that Mugler Cologne, which many basenoters agree to have a "clone relation" with Creed Original Vetiver was created in 2001, while the latter only apeared in 2004, the same way Paco XS was created in 1996 while its "clone" Creed Himalaya was released in 2002, so i guess in these cases you would say that Creed ones are the "fake Rolex watches".

Not always the most expensive houses have the most original products or ideas.

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is very close to Mugler Cologne, particularly in the basenotes. I think NP is a little sweeter, specially in the beginning and its neroli note is a bit more natural and rounder. Still, i do believe Mugler Cologne is the winner here, considering it's originality (even now, 11 years after its release, MC seems like a more creative work and definitly a more modern fragrance than NP), its overall balance and of course its price tag.
    Last edited by Nidor; 17th March 2012 at 03:15 AM.