Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Default The new Weils reviewed.

Vintage Weil fan that I am, my curiosity about the latest iteration of Weil overfcame the small voice in my head admonishing me "they don't make them like they used to" and ordered sample vials on ebay for not much at all <$30, I'm too lazy to look up the actual amount. Over the next few days, I will sniff and compare. Thanks to IFRA, some ingredients are listed on the vial wrappings; they include oakmass and eugenol, amongst other. Hopeful, I shall proceed. Watch this space

ps - i tried to post flickr imageóno luck. Suggestions?

Try this: http://flic.kr/p/bDfbTa

Last edited by jujy54; 18th March 2012 at 03:37 AM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: The new Weils reviewed [coming soon!]

Which ones? Antilope? I'd love to know your impressions of that one, if so.

queen of the universe

Yes, new Antilope is amongst them. They are all slightly renamed, to wit: Zibeline de Weil, Antilope pour Elle, RÍve de Weil, Secret de Weil, and Bambou Woman.

As it happens nst announced the new versions a while back (I found it whilst searching for the circonflexe (accent mark) for "rÍve"), tho no reviews to date.

Here's the Aroli website, which calls three of them the Merveilles de Weil. The descriptions read like Google translate through a meat grinder, i.e.,

Its top note is characterized by both fresh and greedy notes of citrus fruits and green current.
    This freshness punctuated with greed becomes intensified by the really marked presence of green tea.
    The jasmin and the mauve lilac bring some sweetness while blooming towards a soft and pleasant trail that evoke the white musk, the blond wood and the amber to only make way for dream …
    Last edited by jujy54; 15th March 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: more stuff

Very interesting. I hope I get to sniff those.

queen of the universe

Default Re: The new Weils reviewed.

So, earlier today I took a sniff of RÍve de Weil in the vial. Sorry to say, modern shampoo-y inoffensive: the clear juice rather tipped me off. Now—right now—I shall dab on wrist and back of arm. Nose to wrist I get muguet and lilac, and—surprise—a little dirt after all; Aroli website notes jasmine, which would explain the dirt (indolic) as well as the lilac. Typing now, wrist at sillage distance, we're back to clean, tho more laundromat than shampoo. Will wear to bed, report on drydown. Have to say, my first impression of the Aroli iteration of Weil is not promising.

It's Sunday afternoon. Drydown of last nights application was faint but present, wood notes peeking through. Made second full application, arms, wrists, neck, cleavage (OK, continental divide). As usual, in the second application of a new-to-mw frag, I experience its notes in a more integrated fashion. This is a pleasant springtime, daytime fragrance, a da dayime reverie if you will. The jasmine, lilac, muguet, and woods combine dor a green tea effect that is thankfully not too literal. As I went through my morning, the fragrance would waft to my attention, and I do find it pleasant.

Next stop, Zibeline de Weil, which I will compare with the vintage. Watch this space

Last minute follow-up: All in all RÍve de Weil resembles Guerlain's Champs ELysťes, with the lilac and light wood notes, if that's any help.
    Last edited by jujy54; 19th March 2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: day 2 impressions/ compare to Guerlain CE

queen of the universe

Today, Zibeline de Weil. I put some on before bed last night. Peach colored juice. Sniffed from vial, I get oriental with a faint reminder of vintage Zibeline. It evokes luxury, and reminds me a bit of Ralph Lauren Safari for men. In the morning, I got a lovely powdery iris—or orris, my nose isn't quite educated enough for the distinction. Here are the notes according to Aroli, which I only looked up after recording my own impression:

Top notes: Bergamot from Calabria – Plum jam - Ylang ylang
    Heart notes: Seville Orange blossom – Sweet pea– Wallflower
    Bottom notes: Tonka bean – Benzoin - Chesnut
    It is afternoon now. I just reapplied the ZdV on my right arm, and vintage Z on the left. Old Zibeline has coriander and civet to my nose; I just looked up the notes, and sure enough, there they are. Both fragrances share bergamot, ylang-ylang, benzoin, and tonka. This bears out my impression that the new Zibeline de Weil reminded me of a very cleaned up old Zibeline. The new fragrance does stand on its own as refined, luxurious, and well-made, and reflects 21sy c tastes and/or [IFRA] circumstances.

Next: Secret de Weil.

Thanks Jujy!

queen of the universe

Thumbs down Re: The new Weils reviewed.

"...the fragrance evolves towards gently powdery notes and a woody, mysterious bottom."
    That's what Aroli has to say about Secret de Weil. All I can say is this is the least smelly bottom ever. Even after a lavish application os this pink juice all I got was 30 seconds of powdery rose followed byónothing. Nothing at all.

Next: the newest version of Antilope. Stay tuned...

queen of the universe

Antilope—rather, Antilope pour Elle, as Aroli calls it. It's the one with the tallish square-footprint bottle in the sunrise orange box.* Applied last night, took sniffs of the vintage to compare. Despite oakmoss on the ingredient list, the result was flat. This new Antilope pour Elle is as if someone looked at Marilyn Monroe and said, lose thirty pounds and the red lipstick and you might stand a chance—in other words, voluptuality (my daughter's coinage) is traded down for the modern and the gaunt. Is it fair to compare to my vintage Antilope, my go to frag? Its drydown is without equal, anisic clary sage, a little civet, some florals persist, perhaps muguet + ylang and apparently beyond the reach of modern perfumery.

My next task is to find a modern frag that makes me as happy as vintage, a concern I posted with a tag of "civet". Depth, creaminess, and some dirt—and leather, that's what I'm looking for and the answers are promising. I'll finish here, not bothering with Bambou Woman. As to Weil, maybe the name should just be retired. There's no lineage to be had here, alas.

*This one:
    Last edited by jujy54; 22nd March 2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Clarify name, add image

Aw...I'm so sorry to hear that, Jujy. Boo hoo.