Code of Conduct

Thread: Cedar

Default Cedar

Hello all,

I have become quite fond of the cedar note and in need of some assistance with finding a few decent fragrances which containt an apparent note of cedar.

So far I have found Kenzo Vintage Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cedar

Noble Cedar by Chopard
    Cedre by L'Occitane

Rocky Moutain Wood, Gucci ph, Visit, Quorum Silver

Dependent

Lalique Equus
    Azzaro Visit

I got a few cedar focused samples not too long ago, some suggestions are:

SL(Serge Lutens) Feminite Du Bois
    Creed Acqua Fiorentina
    Frederic Malle Angeliques Sous La Pluie
    And if you want a blast of cedar wood, He Wood or She Wood by Dsquared.

All of the above have lots of cedar in them.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

It ain't fancy, but Quorum Silver is a very nice cedar for extremely little money. If you can track down a bottle of Tumulte PH, you should. There's also a great cedar body wash from a Greek company called Kings & Queens, but if you're in the US, it's almost impossible to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    It ain't fancy, but Quorum Silver is a very nice cedar for extremely little money. If you can track down a bottle of Tumulte PH, you should. There's also a great cedar body wash from a Greek company called Kings & Queens, but if you're in the US, it's almost impossible to find.
    Tumulte PH is worth the hunt!!!
    Gary

Thank you all. I shall try to hunt down a few of them to get my cedar ball rolling

Parfum de Nicolai - Cedrat Intense

Sound Scents

Terre d'Hermes, Versilia Vintage Boisè and Bursch are three that immediately come to mind.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Rochas Lui

Vintage frags with cedar notes are much more wearable for me. The newer ones seem to get irritating in a hurry.

I think you'll absolutely love Bois Marocain by Tom Ford. Sure, it's more of a pine, but any cedar lover will be drawn to it. Best fragrance of all time in my opinion.
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

CdG wonderwood. At an incredibly high price point there is also Creed Spice and Wood.

terre is by far my favorite cedar frag. I love the cedar note too, one of my favs.

Dependent

Cedar is one of the most common fragrance ingredients as a supporting accord.

Forgot to give an example: Listen for Men has a real good one, which emerges nicely after an hour or two.

I think Serge Lutens is the king of cedar, as already mentioned. Feminite' de bois and pretty much anything with the name "Bois" in it, especially Bois de violette.

cacio

Tam dao is my go-to cedar.

The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

French Lover
    You'll have to sift through the ISO E Super and vetiver but its worth it.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by tonyprince
    Actually I think you mean Korres, unless they are making it locally under that name now.
    Yes I like that Cedar wash too, very natural woody scent which leaves the skin very smooth and supple.

If you like cedarwood you shouldn't have any problem to find a fragrance you might enjoy. Cedar is one of the most (over) used notes in perfumery. Brands such as Lutens, Comme Des Garcons and Montale among others, go very heavy on this ingredient. I'll also second Rochas Lui, Tam Dao and Versilia Boisè as other good examples of this note.

Add to your list: Sel Marin is pretty heavy on the cedaroowd, as well as Lelabo's Another13, Rose31 and Santal33, several Amouages (Honour Man and Jubilation above all), Un Parfum des Sens et Bois by The Different Company...tones of others...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Try:

Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons - Welcome to the wide world of woods! The interesting opening is a dank, forest tree scent, supplied by the melange of warm sandalwood, hints of zesty bergamot and anise-like, caraway seeds, earthy vetiver and creamy guaic wood. This impressive concoction is reminescent of a felled tree in a rain forest, with the attendant damp and green environs. Transitioning to the waiting middle, spicy pepper, ghosts of apple, plum and floral fruitiness from the cristalin, musky powder from the cashmeran, and savory incense enhance the woody brew. The awesome drydown with its rich cedar and enchanting agarwood tug at this lively heart, and is augmented by a charming patchouli, faintly bathing the cedar and oud in an air of mustiness, and a refreshing, dry cypress, with its hint of spiciness, exalting the pleasing, woody base. This high quality and exceptional composition has good projection, after some 4 hours becoming a skin scent, and excellent longevity.

&

Chene by Serge Lutens - One is initially treated to an enveloping aura of freshly planed lumber, at once astringent, somewhat akin to the sour spitup of a baby, and yet, faintly sweet. A fruity booziness of rum as well as a syrupy immortelle, with its herbaceous, sweet hay aspect, swirl about redolent of an oozed sap. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, a rich, smoky cedar rises to usurp the opening wood, while oakmoss imparts its foresty, green bitterness, which is pleasantly offset by delightsome honey. Splashes of lemony thyme flitter about. Segueing to the enriching base, a robust birch bestows its root beer commingling with wintergreen aroma. Beeswax supplies its cured tobacco and sweet hay aspects. And, tonka bean offers its rich spiciness and smokiness. The intermingling of these scents creates a pleasing drydown. This high-quality composition has average projection and very good longevity. This somewhat rustic fragrance definitely leans to the masculine side.

&

Story by Paul Smith - One is initially treated to a blast of a lemony and slightly peppery, citric accord. The herbal and faintly woody aspects of ivy leaf intrude upon and commingle with this sparkling citrus, providing a crisp, leafy opening, which saunters to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, a floral potion from the sweet jasmine and cardboard-like mustiness of rose leaf tempers the jarring opening, and transitions to the welcoming base. An altering melange of grass-like and clean vetiver, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, as well as a rugged, mineral amber coalesce. With an errant metallic and faintly minty something fluttering about, the dry woodiness of cedar squires the cleanly mix to a refreshing drydown. This light and fresh composition has good projection and longevity, and will bloom in the spring, summer and fall. A very nice fragrance which can be had rather inexpensively.

&

Santal 33 by Le Labo - One is initially treated to a somewhat rugged duo of Australian sandalwood and Russian leather. The sandalwood infuses its camphoraceous woodiness and slight nuttiness, and interplays with the saddle leather with its inherent smokiness. A faintly turpentinic element presents. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, mildly spicy cardamom infuses the spaghetti-western blend with its aromatic, slightly sweet and nutty facets. A woody, violet-like iris also presents. And papyrus, with its withered grassy and light wood facets, serve as a undertone for the sweetening brew. Segueing to the waiting base, Virginia cedar, with its buttery, sweetly fresh, pencil shavings aspects, commingles with a candy-like violet. Magical ambrox imparts its velvety waves of ambergris and musk. A near saccharine drydown ensues. This high-quality composition has average, radiating projection and very good longevity. Albeit the base borders on being too sweet and artifical, I must respect the other stages of development. Resultantly, I am giving this an unenthusiastic "Thumbs Up" rating.

Ohhh.... mannnn! My head is really spinning now. So many to pick from, dont know where to start. I'll make a list and chip away at 'em. May take a while to source/test but I'll get there eventually.

Where I'm from kinda sucks for a fragrance lover, the options are very limited Still wont stop me going on a hunt for what I'm looking for!

Thanks for the additional suggestions

and

The Bark Bites Back.

TdH is my answer and what I wear most but there is one that is panned often that I love and it is a clean cedar and that is Armani Mania. If cedar is what you are looking for then you get plenty of it here and it does really well on my skin. Just an option
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Actually I think you mean Korres, unless they are making it locally under that name now.
    Yes I like that Cedar wash too, very natural woody scent which leaves the skin very smooth and supple.
    No, I mean what I said. The Korres cedar wash is nice, too, but I prefer the Kings and Queens one.

I thought Gucci PH I had a cedar vibe to it. And I know it's been said that it smells like pencil shavings, but I couldn't agree more.

Roger & Gallet's L'Homme has a nice Cedar note in my opinion. Very similar to Azzaro PH but the cedar in the R&G is more refined and prominent. A very manly smell.