Code of Conduct

Default I need help concerning Asian or Oriental style fashion

I need some help from some knowledgeable fashion minded people. I am a 27 year old male and I have recently developed an interest in MODERN Asian/Hong Kong/Oriental ect...style fashion, but I need some help. The help I need is concerning sizing. I know that Asian style clothes run about two sizes smaller than US. based clothes. I have been able to find a "conversion chart" for sizing via the web on some online eBay stores. For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Premium...item3cb651d2d0 If you copy and paste this link and scroll down a bit you can see a conversion chart. Now, I was measured and my measurements are (in inches.) CHEST: 34 1/2 (This was measured by going under my arms and across my chest.) NECK: 16. SLEEVE LENGTH: 24. My WAIST would be either 32 or 33 depending, with the INSEAM needed being 32. I am having trouble lining this up with the size chart. It is possible that I am reading it wrong as well. Also, would anyone have a suggestion as to where I could find the style I am looking for US. based? I have found that "slim fitting suits" look totally different in the US. versus the overseas ones. http://www.sakujapan.com/MENS_SUITS/...63_473829.aspx That link can give you an idea as to what I am looking for. ANY suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. If anyone does alteration work I would love to have you weigh in. Here are a couple of other links concerning the type of fashion I would be seeking http://www.sakujapan.com/Mens_PANTS/...63_446546.aspx http://www.sakujapan.com/Mens_Shirts...63_486194.aspx http://www.sakujapan.com/category/mens_jackets any help is desired and again would be appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: I need help concerning Asian or Oriental style fashion

Awesome man! The links from "sakujapan" (a site I never heard of before) were really cool. It seems like you're talking about suits, but are you looking for a more professional wardrobe or more casual? For suits, I see you seem to appreciate the sleekness and shininess of the fabric, and the overall cut is slimmer because Asians are built smaller (speaking as one). Of course, especially since you're 27 you can break up the suit as you wish. If you're looking to build a casual wardrobe, there are plenty of sources to admire Japanese streetwear. You can start with gq and just type "japanese streetwear" into the search bar and you'll get to see some of the cool ways they dress up over there and maybe start to look at some key pieces a hip japanese dude might rock- varsity jackets, leather jackets, raw super slim denim, heritage sneakers, sometimes bowler hats or fedoras, etc. You can look at the designs of Comme des Garcon, Yohji Yamamoto, and a Bathing Ape. You can score these brands online, particularly at Mr Porter. Since japanese streetwear is largely about swagging up American classic pieces, I think you can find most of what you're looking for pretty easily if you pay close attention to fit, style, and color (Asian fashion is brighter, whereas current trends, though colorful, are more faded and pastille). You can look at the styles of Kid Cudi, Pharell Williams, and some Kanye West (but take Kanye with a grain of salt lol). Best of luck man! Actually, if you can, post up some pics or something of clothes you acquire or whatever, I'd be really interested to know what you come up with!

^^^ I just typed all of that out before realizing that you were specifically looking to address sizing lol. You're probably gonna have a tough time. Trial and error, nothing else. Every brand is different. If you can, seek out certain stores that carry particularly chic asian inspired brands and just try stuff on. Sorry, I really can't think of any better advice.

Quote Originally Posted by icanzapyou View Post
    Awesome man! The links from "sakujapan" (a site I never heard of before) were really cool. It seems like you're talking about suits, but are you looking for a more professional wardrobe or more casual? For suits, I see you seem to appreciate the sleekness and shininess of the fabric, and the overall cut is slimmer because Asians are built smaller (speaking as one). Of course, especially since you're 27 you can break up the suit as you wish. If you're looking to build a casual wardrobe, there are plenty of sources to admire Japanese streetwear. You can start with gq and just type "japanese streetwear" into the search bar and you'll get to see some of the cool ways they dress up over there and maybe start to look at some key pieces a hip japanese dude might rock- varsity jackets, leather jackets, raw super slim denim, heritage sneakers, sometimes bowler hats or fedoras, etc. You can look at the designs of Comme des Garcon, Yohji Yamamoto, and a Bathing Ape. You can score these brands online, particularly at Mr Porter. Since japanese streetwear is largely about swagging up American classic pieces, I think you can find most of what you're looking for pretty easily if you pay close attention to fit, style, and color (Asian fashion is brighter, whereas current trends, though colorful, are more faded and pastille). You can look at the styles of Kid Cudi, Pharell Williams, and some Kanye West (but take Kanye with a grain of salt lol). Best of luck man! Actually, if you can, post up some pics or something of clothes you acquire or whatever, I'd be really interested to know what you come up with!

^^^ I just typed all of that out before realizing that you were specifically looking to address sizing lol. You're probably gonna have a tough time. Trial and error, nothing else. Every brand is different. If you can, seek out certain stores that carry particularly chic asian inspired brands and just try stuff on. Sorry, I really can't think of any better advice.
    Hey man! Thank you so much for your advice, it is GREATLY appreciated. It is responses from people like you that I receive that make me glad I joined this forum! I can really tell you were interested in my "situation." To answer your question, my initial search was for a professional look but not the "political professional" look. I am going to take your suggestions and start looking into some of the stuff you mentioned. I am actually planning to go to California the end of May and my main purpose is to hit up a suit shop in San Francisco and buy four complete suits. suits, belts, ties, cufflinks, pocket squares ect. I found this place on the net, and it’s where I plan to go. I have posted some examples of what I would like, check out these links and tell me what you think.

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin...ode=ZBSSA12189

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin...Code=ZBSSA1406

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin...ctCode=ZHSA342

I have been saving for a long time and its time to make my move. I recently stumbled on the suit types I found through Sakujapan, and it got me going in that direction, but the obstacle I have run into are the size difference and location of most of the sellers I have run across on EBay, not to mention feeling a little hesitant of buying things online with it being such a different style and cut as well as not knowing the sellers. At this point I am open to dress or casual outfits and would love to add some Asian or oriental influenced pieces to my wardrobe.

Here's some inspiration:

http://www.gq.com/style/street-style...-style#slide=1
    http://www.gq.com/style/street-style...tyle-2#slide=1
    http://www.gq.com/women/photos/20110...-women#slide=1

The styles are crazy and so avant garde! Lots of tribal prints, lots of Americana hiking boots similar to Red Wing or Merell styles, outerwear that's off the charts ornate, mixing patterns like crazy, and lots and lots of accessories.

@ icanzapyou Thanks for the links! Wow man that is some crazy stuff! I checked out your suggestions in the previous post, thanks for that as well. I typed japanese streetwear in the GQ search box, but it didn't bring up any pics. Maybe I did something wrong?

Try Tokyo street style in google there's plenty of sites to get inspiration out there . I'm always quite envious of the Japanese especially as they look so effortless and not contrived , they seem to have the knack mixing up high end pieces with vinage and thrift store finds . Sadly my unforgiving western build is prohibitive in several Japanese brands as some are particularly tiny ...

Depending on what you are looking for these sites may be helpful with the casual stuff

Head-porter.org
    Stay246.com
    Bid-service.jp
    Cliffedge.co.jp

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Try Tokyo street style in google there's plenty of sites to get inspiration out there . I'm always quite envious of the Japanese especially as they look so effortless and not contrived , they seem to have the knack mixing up high end pieces with vinage and thrift store finds . Sadly my unforgiving western build is prohibitive in several Japanese brands as some are particularly tiny ...

Depending on what you are looking for these sites may be helpful with the casual stuff

Head-porter.org
    Stay246.com
    Bid-service.jp
    Cliffedge.co.jp
    Thank you Sir.! I will have to check those sites out.

@ Pour_Monsieur I checked out those sites man. The items seemed pricey, but Thank You just the same.

What size you normally wear 38 or 40? (American size)

Those suits above that you looking for are actually Korean style fashion. (ebay type Korean suit) and to what it seems those are the following slim-cut trend of Dior Homme under Hedi Slimane 2004-2006 and oh boy, those are really slimylimy cutting stuff and the pants are awfully tight, so watch out this part if your trying to buy them online.

H&M usually often have this kind of slim-cut suits on every season, maybe you could try some blazers from them to match with some pants, it's all about the styling anyways so it doesn't need to be all matchy-matchy. Or if you want something with a bit quality and style, you can check out some from Jcrew, they have been using Lora Piana fabic for some of their suits for quite a while and the garment itself actually pretty nice without a heavy price tag, you might wanna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    What size you normally wear 38 or 40? (American size)

Those suits above that you looking for are actually Korean style fashion. (ebay type Korean suit) and to what it seems those are the following slim-cut trend of Dior Homme under Hedi Slimane 2004-2006 and oh boy, those are really slimylimy cutting stuff and the pants are awfully tight, so watch out this part if your trying to buy them online.

H&M usually often have this kind of slim-cut suits on every season, maybe you could try some blazers from them to match with some pants, it's all about the styling anyways so it doesn't need to be all matchy-matchy. Or if you want something with a bit quality and style, you can check out some from Jcrew, they have been using Lora Piana fabic for some of their suits for quite a while and the garment itself actually pretty nice without a heavy price tag, you might wanna check it out.
    Thank you for your response! I think I would wear size 40 (American.) But not sure. I am haveing a hard time finding out how they are measureing for those suits. I dont think they are measureing all the way around the chest, just across it because the measurements are not lineing up. Does anyone know? Thank you sir for the heads up on Jcrew and H&M. (I will have more info on the exact suit size I wear in american sizeing later.) Thanks to all who have weighed in.

40..i guess you need XL or L but make sure to ask them the exact measurements of thigh, shoulders and arms. Your good to go if those match your measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by CX827 View Post
    40..i guess you need XL or L but make sure to ask them the exact measurements of thigh, shoulders and arms. Your good to go if those match your measurement.
    Thank you for your help Sir.

I wear around a size 38R or 38L for the jacket size and 32 waist and 32 length for the pant size in American sizeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne219 View Post
    I wear around a size 38R or 38L for the jacket size and 32 waist and 32 length for the pant size in American sizeing.
    As i found out, in most cases the waist part is not much a problem, the headache part usually come from the thigh measurement. Sometime i would go one size bigger for the pants, just to make it not like wearing some legging if you know what i mean.

The measurements of the chest and shoulder cannot be smaller or just fit otherwise you won't be able to lift your arms.

Thanks.