Code of Conduct

Default LIDGE vs LIDGEDT dilema

So, after receiving some very positive feedback from my good lady on my sample of LIDGE, she suggested she buy me a bottle for my birthday in April, to which I happily agreed.

Almost immediately afterwards, i saw a bottle of LIDGE for sale from a UK dept store website at the great price of 47.95 and suggested she could buy it there, I even sent her a link.

I then decided that it was such a good price that I bought myself a second bottle.

Now, I have found out (due to her leaving her emails open on our PC) that she has in fact bought me the EDT version, which i have not tried at all. I suspect she saw the much reduced price and ignored all my detailed description about different bottle colours, "extreme" in the name, EDP Vs EDT.

My dilemma is do I:

- tell her now, and risk being accused of snooping, but with time for her to exchange it

- await my birthday, and tell her after receiving the gift that it is wrong

- take the gift and say nothing, keep the bottle so i have both EDT and EDP

- take the gift, say nothing, ebay the bottle and substitute my "spare" bottle

Default Re: LIDGE vs LIDGEDT dilema

I would keep the bottle and have both versions as no one likes a snoop . And telling her after she has given you the gift on your birthday that its wrong could be a sticky with her thinking that you are a rude and ungrateful so and so. I do not envy your dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I would keep the bottle and have both versions as no one likes a snoop . And telling her after she has given you the gift on your birthday that its wrong could be a sticky with her thinking that you are a rude and ungrateful so and so. I do not envy your dilemma

This is what i'm erring towards, just to keep waters smooth.

It could certainly appear ungrateful to her if I tell her she has bought the wrong bottle. From my perspective though, particularly after I spent a good while explaining that there are two very similarly named bottles... well, perhaps I better not finish that sentence.

I realise that there are plenty of threads comparing the two fragrances, and the consensus seems to be that EDP is better with the balance tipped in favour of rich coco.

Is the EDT lighter, and more citrussy perhaps more suitable to warmer weather? I could at least have one bottle for Spring/Summer, keeping the Extreme for the colder months.

take the gift and say nothing, keep the bottle so i have both EDT and EDP

Easy decision...

You got it the EDT is lighter and has more citrus and is better for the Summer where the EDP is best for the winter. If you think about it you have the best of both worlds.

Yes I think she has done you a favour, I can't imagine wearing the EdP in the summer. Hide the EdP bottle in the Cupboard of Shame, behind the Quorum, and come December, say 'I liked that aftershave you bought me in April so much, when I saw the Extreme version in the shop today, I thought I'd get that off you for Christmas. Here, keep it for me, you owe me xx' etc.

Probably best though if you just kept both...don't act like you were snooping though, you bought the EDP before you knew that and she already ordered it, so it wouldn't have changed the outcome at all. Or maybe since you already know it's coming, open the package when it comes and say you wanted to make sure it was the right one or say you didn't know it was your gift...then say it was the wrong one. I dunno man...

They're probably both worth owning though, definitely different enough.

Definitely keep both as each is worth owning.

Keep em both. I own both and usually layer them.

Thanks for all the advice. Seems like she may have done me a favour in the end. Good on her.

Sur la Plage

Get rid of the EDT and keep the Extreme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    What he says...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

What I'd do: take the gift and say nothing, keep the bottle so i have both EDT and EDP

Yep. Honesty is best, think of how she'll feel if you decide to eBay the EDT later. Open it like you never knew anything, thank her, tell her much you appreciate it, kiss her, then tell her it's not the one you wanted and exchange it. I think she'll soon forget her oversight and enjoy you enjoying what she got for you. Better yet, tell her it was your mistake, that you told her to get the wrong one and exchange it. The key is showing her how much you appreciate whatever she's doing for you, but don't keep something you don't really want, the effect of not using what she got for you will hurt her more than a simple mistake.

Bro keep the EDT and have both! I have both EDT and EDP in my collection and can't see myself without either. The EDT is better for all seasons and everyday casual wear. The EDP is better for special occasions and secksy time! Seriously, keep the EDT!

Look at these handsome gents. They go great together.

Last edited by mesaboogie; 16th March 2012 at 03:33 PM.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Yup, no harm in having both. I suppose you could always trade the EDT away if you don't like it, as long as your girlfriend (or wife sorry) understands and would not be offended by that.

Well my dilemma resolved itself this morning.

My girlfriend came up to me with the box saying she is pretty sure she's bought the wrong bottle, and would be sending it back.

So, because I still have the secret bottle of LIDGE i bought as a back up, i told her not to worry about buying the extreme edition, as it's a wintery scent anyway :-)

Instead she offered to get me a bottle of my favorite whisky- Lagavulin 16yr old.

That gentlemen, is what I call a result.
    Last edited by corbain; 19th March 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Smooth man very smooth lol. But why not just tell her the truth, "oh that's ok honey, I actually already bought myself a bottle of the edp because I saw it for a very good price, so you did me a favor cuz now I have both!" that would've worked as well.

If i had tried and liked the EDT, that's exactly what I would have done- It's just the risk of opening the package and finding it a complete letdown compared to the extreme.

I'll probably lay all my cards on the table at some point in the future.

You've got the EDP, let her send back the EDT and get the peaty smokey.

Sorry for the side note, but you guys are killing me today with the acronyms, I'm well versed here but c'mon and throw me an apostrophe or change the caps! Guess I'm gettin' rusty!

(It took me about 6 posts in to figure out it was l'instant)

Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    Well my dilemma resolved itself this morning.

My girlfriend came up to me with the box saying she is pretty sure she's bought the wrong bottle, and would be sending it back.

So, because I still have the secret bottle of LIDGE i bought as a back up, i told her not to worry about buying the extreme edition, as it's a wintery scent anyway :-)

Instead she offered to get me a bottle of my favorite whisky- Lagavulin 16yr old.

That gentlemen, is what I call a result.
    SCORE! Lagavulin is a fine alternative and a wonderful gift besides!

Really though, both versions of L'Instant are great, and both full-bottle worthy.

Glad it was resolved. I was going to say that I think the regular version is just a tad more wearable anyway.

This