Code of Conduct

Default What was the first fragrance you bought a backup bottle of and why?

for me its gucci envy. I like the scent and its getting really rare now so when I had the chance to buy one from a small perfume shop, I bought it! Although, I wouldn't be able to finish my original gucci envy. My inner hoarder wanted me to buy it lol

and to add to the question, do you still have that back up bottle, if not why?
    Top 5 in rotation: Dior Homme, Pure Malt, Egoiste, Gucci Envy, Platinum Egoiste

Happiness is perfume, you can't pour it on somebody else without getting a few drops on yourself.
    -James Van Der Zee

Looking for large CAPS for M7, boss bottled #6, Bvlgari PH and YSL La Nuit

Default Re: What was the first fragrance you bought a backup bottle of and why?

It was a bottle of vintage Dior Homme Intense as at the time their were rumours that it was going to be reformulated which it was.

Bulgari Black. The SA at Selfridges told me it was being discontinued.

Creed Green Valley. The reasons are that I love it, and it is now discontinued. I have about 150ml left of a 250ml flacon, plus 3x75ml bottles. That should be enough to see me out until the wooden overcoat beckons.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

If some burglar broke into my house I have a secret stash of back-ups so even though I was robbed I would still smell just as good the following day. First one was LIDGE. If I find a great price on something and I really like it I would always buy a second. Second reason in reformulation and discontinuations.

Gengis Khan because I fell in love with it when I first got it.

Theorema, because it was already discontinued, and I knew it would become exceedingly scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Creed Green Valley. The reasons are that I love it, and it is now discontinued. I have about 150ml left of a 250ml flacon, plus 3x75ml bottles. That should be enough to see me out until the wooden overcoat beckons.
    Wow I'm impressed and I rate Green Valley higher than GIT. Really good underated fragrance!

Dior Homme, at the time of the Great Reformulation Panic. I wear it from time to time. To me it's more of a formal scent.

None, all the back up bottles I have are gifts with the exception of 50ml of current Or Black which I got it from the marketplace just because I'm almost out of the vintage...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

LIDGE. Just worried I wouldn't find another before price jump. I just panicked.

iiirc i backed up a few at the same time, Versace black jeans, YSL rive gauche and boss bottled

Quote Originally Posted by BlackRainbow View Post
    for me its gucci envy. I like the scent and its getting really rare now so when I had the chance to buy one from a small perfume shop, I bought it! Although, I wouldn't be able to finish my original gucci envy. My inner hoarder wanted me to buy it lol

and to add to the question, do you still have that back up bottle, if not why?
    Gucci Envy too. I adore it, simple as that. When I heard this scent is "bye bye", a friend from this site helped me about it.

Banned

Cartier Santos Sport...it was in high school and even then I realized that some things are too good to last.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Gengis Khan because I fell in love with it when I first got it.
    Back to Black for me (same thing....fell in love with it when I first got it).

I buy backups if I see a really good deal I can't pass up.

Byredo Gypsy Water... I just love it.

ysl m7
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Brut (more like gifted/re-gifted) That was the first the second one was Dior Homme (non Intense version) couldn't handle the pressure.

M7 ysl

YSL rive gauche and M7,,

BY man and only By man. I cant get enough of it. Something about it. My lady finds it strange when I wear other frags. I have enough for many lifetimes.

Blog Entries

Tom Ford Extreme - because I loved it and it was a limited edition. Got two backups, actually, but ended up gifting one of them.

Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris....cause the prices on fragrancenet were a friggin steal lol (take that Neiman Marcus prices)

first was givenchy gentleman but the most i have backups of is Eau Sauvage...citrus scents are so tough to perfect and if anyone has smelled the current eau sauvage, they may see wisdom in me having over a liter of vintage eau sauvage...my future generations will also use it and mourn the past glory of perfumes just as we have started doing now

Dior Homme Intense because it was the first fragrance to literally blow my mind. I received a small spray decant from a fellow frag head and instantly fell in love with it and ordered two 100ml bottles. I can't see how another fragrance could take Dior Homme Intense from my #1 spot!!

Domenico Caraceni 1913. The first one I purchased was the original Forester Milano version; unfortunately the second bottle was not.

Armani Code

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    Dior Homme Intense because it was the first fragrance to literally blow my mind. I received a small spray decant from a fellow frag head and instantly fell in love with it and ordered two 100ml bottles. I can't see how another fragrance could take Dior Homme Intense from my #1 spot!!
    try Cuiron and Derby, they may do the impossible

Dependent

Dior Homme before reformulation. Gotten two bottles of that as backup to be exact
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I bought a second bottle of vintage M7, both testers. Why? It is not made anymore! And each bottle was $41.

Also bought 2 bottles of L'Instant Extreme because I looked for about a year. The second bottle was insurance in case I could not find it again in the US for a decent price, and yes, I got them for a very good price!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Pure Havane. It was my first Mugler and I loved the sample. I looked up reviews on here and learned it was going to be discontinued and I panicked! so I bought 3 bottles. At the rate I go through cologne, my opened bottle will theoretically last me 7-10 years before I have to crack open the new bottle.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris....cause the prices on fragrancenet were a friggin steal lol (take that Neiman Marcus prices)
    The price of MiP on fragrance net is a steal. I just received mine the other day. I would order another bottle but it's a 4.2oz EDP so I won't be using as much juice as if it were an EDT. I'm sure with my rotation of other fragrances it should last me a very long time.

I would buy this fragrance for retail price tho. I love it that much.

GIT

cause it's awesome.

First Pure Malt then VIW

I at one point had three bottles of Le Male, mostly because I had the money and go through a 4.2oz bottle in about a year. Having said that I rarely wear it any more and just finished a bottle after three years. I also have backups of Fleur du Male and Terre d'Hermes, not because they're going anywhere anytime soon but I like them and use them with some frequency.

Donna Karan DK MEN (vintage) as it was being discontinued at the time. It took quite a while to have it relaunched in Private Collection as Fuel for Men.
    The other ones were Ungaro III and Guerlain's Coriolan because I love them so much and both were dead cheap.

Regards, Odor.

That was L'Essence de Must de Cartier pour Homme: I like that one very much, but curiously it seems to be quite unpopular so I won't be surprised if Cartier chooses to discotinue it. I bought two bottles when some webshop offered it for half the price.

I can hardly remember what my latest purchased backup bottle was, but then again, I also know the reason why it's not that easy to remember: I do have backup bottles for nearly a quarter-even up to almost a half of my scent wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Creed Green Valley. The reasons are that I love it, and it is now discontinued.
    Now that's pretty coincidental. Green Valley was my second backup and I bought more for the same reasons you cited. My first backup was Creed's Selection Verte. I've never smelled anything quite like it and it will soon be impossible to find. What's funny is that when I first tried it, I was pretty sure that I didn't like it. I had trouble getting used to the mint. How things change....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Wow I'm impressed and I rate Green Valley higher than GIT. Really good underated fragrance!
    The world loves a convert, Jack! And RedRaider, I'm with you too.

I wish I could find another flacon, as I do like to use GV as a splash.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Nothing yet but will likely get another bottle of Gucci pour Homme I

Brit for Men... purely because it was a 50ml priced up as a 30ml (from a store thats already heavily discounting their 30ml bottles). Too good a deal to pass up.

I don't think buying a backup bottle is necessary unless the frag is extremely rare or discontinued. I recently purchased a 30ml decant of Pure Havane just to have a little extra

Platinum Egoiste b/c I wore it so often and don''t see ever not liking it.

Just got two extra bottles of Rive Gauche and I am looking for an extra M7 as well... If I ever find more than one bottle of Égoïste Cologne Concentrée I'm going to buy 'em all
    - Mark

ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE! ÉGOÏSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Rive Gauche

Oh! I've bought my first fragrances in 1995, namely Fahrenheit by Christian Dior and Egoiste Platinum by Chanel!
    Fahrenheit was my first love, my most cherished perfume and the first one with 2 backup bottles (all vintage, of course) until the first reformulation! Since then it has been changed frequently and I couldn't wear it anymore! To me, the continous reformulation of Fahrenheit (along with many other scents from Dior and Chanel) is a major disappointment! This is why I don't buy and wear the current formulas of Dior and Chanel older releases, unless I manage to find vintage bottles!

Very first back up was Gucci Nobile in the original bottle. A few years ago I was able to stock up on some discontinued favorites. I therefore, have very ample supplies of Nobile, Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men(original), and Giorgio Beverly Hills V.I.P. Special Reserve. I currently have back ups for several of my vintage bottles as well as Creed Baie de Genievre and 1 oz bottles of MI and Green Valley.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Mine was Fahrenheit. Why? , because it is amazing and I wear it often. I will be buying a back up of Kouros very soon. I love Kouros. Even wearing it now. Nothing starts a nice sunny Monday morning of work of better than Kouros.
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue

None so far, but I am on my second bottle of Gucci Pour Homme 2, the only fragrance I've bought more than once so far, minus a Joop ph purchase years after my first bottle finished.

Sisley - Eau de Campagne

It was my summer work horse at the time, I only had 2 other frags (I think it was Burberry Touch and Jo Malone LBM). I loved it so much and found a great price on a 120 mL bottle. Been on the hunt ever since b/c of the small distribution and high price at NM.

Exclamation Re: What was the first fragrance you bought a backup bottle of and why?

duplicate
    Last edited by runstile; 19th March 2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: delete

Perhaps Horizon. Discontinued and very cheap. That there still seem to be several million bottles around didn't discourage me.

First for me was DHI, after reading the reformulation hysteria here! I've now got enough vintage (350ml) to last me a lifetime!
    Others I backed up (whether due to them being a good deal or rumours of/actual discontinuation) are:

75ml LIDGE
    150 ml Gucci PHII
    200ml Pure Malt
    200ml Pure Havane
    100ml Tobacco Vanille
    50ml Jil Sander Man Absolute
    200ml Jaipur Homme

It will likely be Kouros, cause YSL is screwing around with it. I'm so careful with Kouros - I treat it like gold.

Pure Malt because I really loved it and was afraid to be without that juice. Later,, I sold all backup bottles because I am pretty sure that I wont get even through 1. There are TOO MANY fragrances waiting to be explored (especially in niche).
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

YSL Body Kouros
    YSL Rive Gauche
    Boss Spirit
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Gucci Pour Homme I - News of discontinuation made me run for a backup... Its a staple, a milestone in my collection