Code of Conduct

Default Retail Therapy Redux Photo

So, here is a graphic look at my two days of retail therapy.

Favorites: Old half bottle of Shalimar cologne. Actually like it. But love the vintage Emeraude of all things.

Worst Enigma: Bottle of Joy with little red bakelite knob. I cannot figure out how to open it!!! The little red knob screws off. But then, the rest looks immovable and has proved so. I have tried every trick I know. It is not, I don't think, a refillable. But why does the little red knob screw off? And is the next part a pop out thingie or a screw off thingie? I have no idea. Ideas please?

I came home smelling lovely, feeling relaxed, but determined to reign in my collecting and focus my efforts. Or maybe not!

UPDATE: I got the JOY open! OH! It smells so so heavenly. I was wearing new JOY when I tried TWOLF's method again. It popped open and the juice is divine! I had never tried this Yves Rocher, but it was being nasty about opening. Now I have it open as well. A bit high on fumes this morning!

Last edited by KarmaLee; 17th March 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: updates!

Default Re: Retail Therapy Redux Photo

you have burjois evening in pairs, coty, and yves rocher? (orange)

Excellent finds, that 8eme Jour is a gem.

Vintage Emeraude DOES smell like Shalimar should, on some skins, including Evangeline's and mine.

To open up the red topper -- put the bottle for 20 minutes in the freezer and then take it out and dip really fast in very hot water, it should unscrew right away. Another trick -- those aerosol sprays that computer geeks use to clean off the dust, the liquid is being sprayed through a small straw and comes out cold -- the name, of course, escapes me right this moment -- once my DH sprayed on the neck of the stubborn bottle and it opened just like so.
    Last edited by Twolf; 17th March 2012 at 10:21 AM.

Nicely styled haul! And the pedestal in the back can hold even more bottles

Quote Originally Posted by fazilicious View Post
    you have burjois evening in pairs, coty, and yves rocher? (orange)
    Yes, I got the little Evening in Paris bottle, but empty. I have a few others like it, but this one was only a dollar (US), so I could not resist.

The two Coty's I got for $3 and $2. The Yves Rocher, for 3. I gave 12 for the old Guerlain--which smells divine. The JOY was 20, and currently again in my freezer for another attempt at opening. It is full--of something! The tiny bottle down front is FENDI.

This reminds me to start getting photos of my takes after each expedition. A bit later today, I will post a quick photo of my other finds from the past few months when this fever of perfume fell upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Nicely styled haul! And the pedestal in the back can hold even more bottles
    Thanks! That is actually a lamp from the Renaissance Hotel in Asheville NC. Home today and styling my other bargain finds for another photo to document my obsession.
    Last edited by KarmaLee; 17th March 2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added quote

Fantastic! I love vintage Emeraude. I'll bet the Joy is divine. Enjoy! Thanks for the pic, it's fun to look.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Fantastic! I love vintage Emeraude. I'll bet the Joy is divine. Enjoy! Thanks for the pic, it's fun to look.
    The Joy seemed a bit off at first sniff, but then hit its stride and is gorgeous! I have no idea of vintage or concentration and must do some research. But it smells so complex and rich compared to my newer reformulated but still lovely bottle. And I am sure it had never been opened, and the bottle is full. Good find for 20 dollars!

A bit later, I am going to post a picture of all my thrift store finds to document them. Then, I can start doing the "I bought today" thread!

I love Joy too, and own some vintage (the same bottle as you, which I have not opened, plus a regular transparent glass one, which I have opened). It is truly sublime. The rose and the jasmine are so vivid, they almost jump at you. The duet then continues for a while, over a beautiful chorus of other flowers. The drydown is the usual wonderful civet dirt. I love the edt/edp as well, but the parfum is just on another planet.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I love Joy too, and own some vintage (the same bottle as you, which I have not opened, plus a regular transparent glass one, which I have opened). It is truly sublime. The rose and the jasmine are so vivid, they almost jump at you. The duet then continues for a while, over a beautiful chorus of other flowers. The drydown is the usual wonderful civet dirt. I love the edt/edp as well, but the parfum is just on another planet.

cacio
    Yes, this vintage parfum makes my knees tremble it is so good! New Joy leaves me feeling something is missing though it is still a gorgeous thing. But the parfum vintage Joy has a big dirty animal heart.