Code of Conduct

Default Madness Documented

BN gave me reason to organize the chaos that my perfume madness has caused. I will put together a little album and link to my blog later, but for now, I wanted to share my thrift/antique store finds through March 15, 2012.

The following documents only those gems, and duds, I have carried home from antique stores, thrift stores and flea markets. Not included are all my samples, ebay purchases, and retail purchases. I will post in the collections thread when I get them all together and organized.

But for today, it was so nice to sort through the lot and put together only those that cost me nearly nothing and proved to me that the thrill of the hunt is addictive. This does not include the purchases I made in the last two days. They have their own little photo doc. thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/297...py-Redux-Photo

I promise to NOT post anymore photos except in my personal blog or the collections thread. And to not document purchases except in the "I bought today" thread. But for now, this lets me share my gems. And gave me a reason to get them out and remember them each and every one.

And close up with the Caron beauty upfront. That is flowering quince in the vase. My bees are loving it so brought some inside for the picture:

Last edited by KarmaLee; 17th March 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added link

Default Re: Madness Documented

OOOhh, nice. Madness, I like! Gorgeous flowers & photo. And bottles of course!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

wooooow

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    OOOhh, nice. Madness, I like! Gorgeous flowers & photo. And bottles of course!
    Thanks, Kalli. I am having a scent-themed week it seems. And the flowers abound. I should have called this thread Spring Fever.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I recognize that orange-capped bottle of On The Wind-- I used to have one as a pre-teen. Do you wear it or is it "just for the memories?"

Oh nice! My eyes are magically drawn to the Narcisse Noir. Do you wear it well?

I miss quince lots. Do you make preserves?

i also noticed narcisse noir in the center of pic immediately

I looooove your madness! Thank you so much for sharing. We love to look at pics of collections, it's fun. What a nice collection from thrifting and antiquing. Your pics prove what you can find when you are really focused.

Madness has never looked so good! Lovely blooms and bottles... and what is that book? That looks like a great find also! I thoroughly enjoy your pics here and on the other thread, so I hope you do post more!

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I recognize that orange-capped bottle of On The Wind-- I used to have one as a pre-teen. Do you wear it or is it "just for the memories?"

I had actually never smelled it until I bought this little set. It smells so good to me! It does not last long, but while it does it is sweet and a bit nostalgic, even though I never wore it before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Oh nice! My eyes are magically drawn to the Narcisse Noir. Do you wear it well?

Not really. I want to love it, but instead I just love the bottle. I keep trying, but so far, it lifts from my skin, hits my nose, and makes me wince. That is not always bad. I am patient with difficult scents. Narcisse Noir and I do not seem compatible. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post

No, but I should try that. Our quince tree is wild and unkept, but our honeybees adore it. I need to trim it, but just cannot make myself take the pruning sheers to it.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Madness has never looked so good! Lovely blooms and bottles... and what is that book? That looks like a great find also! I thoroughly enjoy your pics here and on the other thread, so I hope you do post more!

The book holds a story of sorts.

Just outside Gatlinburg, TN beside Roaring Fork creek as it crashes out of the Smokey Mountains is a tiny, ancient homestead with an old mill. Around it have grown an assortment of odd little structures. It was a working farm for generations.

The place has always called to me. It felt like magic might actually still be alive in that place. Yesterday, after taking a drive around a nature motor trail, I noticed a small "We are open" sign at the door.

I met the great-great grand-daughter of the original owners. She gave me a tour, and had a few odd things for sale. One of them was a battered 1871 edition of Tennyson's poetry. For ten dollars, it came home with me.

Some of the mill's magic came with it, I am sure.

Basenotes Institution

Beautiful bottles- this is great madness !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

karmaLee:

what a marve! I am very envious. Especially the Narcisse noir that takes pride of place: heard so much about it, I'm really curious (though of course it could be inflated expectations, as you seem to imply).

But I'm sure you won't divulge your secret spots to buy these things! I live in DC and I have never seen any perfume at antique stores here (with one single, but fantastic, exception, perfect vintage Bandit parfum, even more sensational than the current edp). Perhaps I should search more.

I have a "vintage finds" thread too - I think it's a great idea, I have received great suggestions and informations about things.

I hope the photo set up was just temporary, and that the bottles are now back to where they belong, in a drawer in absolute darkness.

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fazilicious View Post
    i also noticed narcisse noir in the center of pic immediately
    Me too! And that book is a wonderful find, too.

Thanks for posting your lovely pics KarmaLee, l also love looking at other people's collections!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

A brief hijack:

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    A local gourmet cheese store sells quince paste (it's a pretty solid slab you can cut with a knife.) My grandmother used to make this very same thing when I was little and it tastes just like I remember it.

It is customary to eat quince paste with the Spanish cheese manchego-- I've tried this combination and it's quite good:
    http://southamericanfood.about.com/o...incecheese.htm

[/hijack]

Hijack anytime, 30 Roses! I love food as much as I love perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    karmaLee:

what a marve! I am very envious. Especially the Narcisse noir that takes pride of place: heard so much about it, I'm really curious (though of course it could be inflated expectations, as you seem to imply).

But I'm sure you won't divulge your secret spots to buy these things! I live in DC and I have never seen any perfume at antique stores here (with one single, but fantastic, exception, perfect vintage Bandit parfum, even more sensational than the current edp). Perhaps I should search more.

I have a "vintage finds" thread too - I think it's a great idea, I have received great suggestions and informations about things.

I hope the photo set up was just temporary, and that the bottles are now back to where they belong, in a drawer in absolute darkness.

cacio
    I seem to find my best vintage bottles in the oddest places: Salvation Army, ratty old antique stores, flea markets. And my last nice Guerlain Shalimar was hidden in the back of a 1000 dusty avon bottles. When I travel, I tend to zip through interesting places. I have the best luck with things off the beaten path, and not usually high end dealers.

And yes, the little gems go back into safe storage in an antique Hoosier cabinet fitted for perfume storage (extra shelves).

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Me too! And that book is a wonderful find, too.

Thanks for posting your lovely pics KarmaLee, l also love looking at other people's collections!
    I do love that old book. A friend came by last night and tried to purloin it. I sprayed him with some Youth Dew and got him to leave! Not really. Well, I did spritz him and he did love that book!

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaLee View Post
    Hijack anytime, 30 Roses! I love food as much as I love perfume.
    I do love that old book. A friend came by last night and tried to purloin it. I sprayed him with some Youth Dew and got him to leave! Not really. Well, I did spritz him and he did love that book!
    Lol, had to laugh at the Youth Dew repellent concept. My brother hated Opium so much that in high school, I *did* actually use it to threaten him when he bugged me too much! The book is just lovely, and all the more special for the story behind finding it. Thanks for sharing!

Also, another food tidbit-- there is a Persian stew made with quince; it is simple, but pretty interesting and savory! That quince paste with manchego sounds fantastic...

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Lol, had to laugh at the Youth Dew repellent concept. My brother hated Opium so much that in high school, I *did* actually use it to threaten him when he bugged me too much! The book is just lovely, and all the more special for the story behind finding it. Thanks for sharing!

Also, another food tidbit-- there is a Persian stew made with quince; it is simple, but pretty interesting and savory! That quince paste with manchego sounds fantastic...
    I sprayed my kitchen window sill with a touch of vintage avon white hawaiian ginger yesterday afer I saw an ant. I was out of my usual spring batch of peppermint oil that I use for insect-go-awayness. It seemed to work!

I must get some quince recipes and do the domestic goddess thing soon.
    Last edited by KarmaLee; 21st March 2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: edited my horrible iphone typing mistakes

What a great collection of classics! Thank you for sharing.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I do quince candies, which I think is just the same recipe for membrillo, just cooked a bit more. I use 2 pounds quinces and 3 1/2 cups sugar. I also add some citrus juice and some rose syrup, though this is not necessary.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    What a great collection of classics! Thank you for sharing.
    So nice to have a place to share with others who share this passion!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I do quince candies, which I think is just the same recipe for membrillo, just cooked a bit more. I use 2 pounds quinces and 3 1/2 cups sugar. I also add some citrus juice and some rose syrup, though this is not necessary.

cacio
    I bet this is wonderful stuff!

I was talking to a friend today about the way perfume, wine, and food cross together.