Code of Conduct

Default Watch Help Needed!

I would like some recommendations concerning watches. I am planning to pick some up, but have been out of the fashion loop for a while and am hoping there will be people that can assist me in making a good selection. I am a 27 year old male, and would like the style to be modern and “fresh,” yet still fit the image I am going for. I love to wear suits and I am involved with things pertaining to Church, yet I do not plan to dress in a conservative way. (By that, I mean in a traditional “church” style or political style of suit wear.) Here are some examples of some suits I am looking to buy.

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin...ode=ZBSSA12189

http://www.zootsuitstore.com/Shoppin...Code=ZBSSA1406

When dressing “down,” I still want to maintain a fresh fashionable appearance, the likes of Guess, Express or this style http://www.sakujapan.com that I have recently been interested in, also not excluding a casual style which may include loose fitting jeans, a large hoodie and some nikes! I don’t like the thought of cutting out any particular style as long as it is modest and not against my beliefs. My budget is anywhere from 0-200 per watch. Also, how many watches do you think are in order? One for suiting up and one for casual wear? More? Less? Any thoughts, advice, comments and opinions are welcome as long as they are constructive. Thank you in advance for any feedback you provide.

Default Re: Watch Help Needed!

Ys more or lss one for formal wear and one for casual unless you're never formally dressed.

for swap/sale:

Dress - Seiko or Citizen
    Casual - Suunto or G-Shock

Can't go wrong!

Thanks guys!

As an Italian, I've been wearing Swatch watches. They add a touch of zing and color and, although they are plastic, many work well with formal wear too. My favorites are the "skin" ones, that is, the superflat ones. An example for formal wear would be:
    http://store.swatch.com/core-bestsel.../page/1/SFK361
    http://store.swatch.com/core-bestsel.../page/2/SFK360

For casual, there are models that are fun but not too out there eg:
    http://store.swatch.com/core-unisex/...s/page/2/GB261
    http://store.swatch.com/collectibles...page/1/SUOZ126

Incidentally, re the suits you were showing. The plaid ensemble looks typically southern, so it's fine if you live there. Remember that you can wear white trousers only between memorial and labor days. This rule is set in stone. If you don't live in the south, it'll be very hard to make it work other than at church and at weddings. But the suit is fun and I like its green, so I'd say it'll work well with some light colored pants (eg light green?)

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As an Italian, I've been wearing Swatch watches. They add a touch of zing and color and, although they are plastic, many work well with formal wear too. My favorites are the "skin" ones, that is, the superflat ones. An example for formal wear would be:
    http://store.swatch.com/core-bestsel.../page/1/SFK361
    http://store.swatch.com/core-bestsel.../page/2/SFK360

For casual, there are models that are fun but not too out there eg:
    http://store.swatch.com/core-unisex/...s/page/2/GB261
    http://store.swatch.com/collectibles...page/1/SUOZ126

Incidentally, re the suits you were showing. The plaid ensemble looks typically southern, so it's fine if you live there. Remember that you can wear white trousers only between memorial and labor days. This rule is set in stone. If you don't live in the south, it'll be very hard to make it work other than at church and at weddings. But the suit is fun and I like its green, so I'd say it'll work well with some light colored pants (eg light green?)

cacio
    Thanks man, I appreciate your advice. I checked out the links you presented and they are definantly a differant kind of watch. Why around 100.00 a watch if they are plastic? Also, thanks for the advice on the only wearing white trousers between memorial and labor days, I did not know about that. What is your opinion on the other suit?

I said I grew up in Italy... we don't mind paying for fashion; the swatches are interesting and quirky, so they demand a high price even if they are plastic. (But they seem to be appreciated even here, I've been complimented many times about my "skinny" watch).

Yes, the rule of no white-not only on pants but also on suits and shoes- outside of the allowed period is absolute, unless on vacation in seaside resorts. We don't have this rule in continental Europe, and I learnt about it when I moved to the States.

As for the other suit, it seems a more classical pin striped, good for all occasions. I would personally go for a more discrete stripe, but it's hard to judge from a photo - sometimes photos increase the contrast. But I don't dislike plaid suits either - they're nice and informal and I have one myself, but on the tones of light brown. The difficulty with the one you showed is the ivory background- white is difficult to pull off. With a non-white background things would be easier.

cacio

Oh Italy. Those guys put the rest of us to shame...

I just bought a new watch as it happens, an ESQ Movado, all-black chronograph, at the Movado Factory Store at about half price. I like large chronographs and wear them all the time but the big chunky ones look a bit too flashy for me in standard stainless.

I really like the Movado Bold series, which you can get at upscale department stores like Saks, but they are probably out of your price parameters. There always seems to be lots of watches on sale at every price point at Amazon.com.

I've always liked the idea of a dress watch and a regular watch but essentially I buy one (water resistent to at least 5 atm) and wear it all the time until I get tired of it or the battery runs out. I have two or three dozen stopped watches in a drawer. I work in an extremely dressy place my and new watch works just fine there. In the U.S. you can wear pretty much any watch that isn't too cheesy or outright ugly these days in most situations. I would never wear a digital at work, however.

BTW I wouldn't say the white rule is sacrosanct everywhere in the U.S. anymore (e.g., maybe not in California and other semi-Mediterranean, anti-Eastern establishment locations) though in my neck of the woods it sure is. Current fashion in the northeast seems to be for dark and neutral colors and very tight, minimalist styling and tailoring with the most subtle patterns, if any. (Looks very early '60s to me.) I've been wearing a lot of black and notice that's what's in the stores. I always wear simple black rubber-soled Oxfords, not too shiny ("priest shoes" a friend calls them) because they go with almost everything. You are still supposed to wear brown shoes with a gray suit but even my gray ones are pretty dark.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I said I grew up in Italy... we don't mind paying for fashion; the swatches are interesting and quirky, so they demand a high price even if they are plastic. (But they seem to be appreciated even here, I've been complimented many times about my "skinny" watch).

Yes, the rule of no white-not only on pants but also on suits and shoes- outside of the allowed period is absolute, unless on vacation in seaside resorts. We don't have this rule in continental Europe, and I learnt about it when I moved to the States.

As for the other suit, it seems a more classical pin striped, good for all occasions. I would personally go for a more discrete stripe, but it's hard to judge from a photo - sometimes photos increase the contrast. But I don't dislike plaid suits either - they're nice and informal and I have one myself, but on the tones of light brown. The difficulty with the one you showed is the ivory background- white is difficult to pull off. With a non-white background things would be easier.

cacio
    Forza Italia mia paisano.

for swap/sale:

@ Cacio: Thank you sir for your feedback. I appreciate the fact that people here do take the time out of their day to provide feedback. I use to somewhat be in the fashion game but had a lengthy period of time where I discided not to make it a priority and even neglected it to a degree. It really is a long story. But I have quite a bit of money saved up and am getting ready to make some changes, (planning a trip to California and plan to go to San Francisco and pick some clothes up.) That being said I do appreciate all the feedback I get from this post or others that I have started concerning fashion or cologne. @ BurgundyMarsh: Thanks for your thoughts, I will have to look into the Movado Bold Series. I can adjust my budget a little, but I do want to feel I am getting what I pay for. Thank you all for your responses they are appreciated.

An additional belated suggestion: so far, Tissot watches have never let me down, a good brand at affordable prices

I admit, their range of sporty and complicated models is still limited, but in terms of dressy and daytime wear, as well as formal wear watches, they are hard to beat within their price range

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne219 View Post
    @ Cacio: Thank you sir for your feedback. I appreciate the fact that people here do take the time out of their day to provide feedback. I use to somewhat be in the fashion game but had a lengthy period of time where I discided not to make it a priority and even neglected it to a degree. It really is a long story. But I have quite a bit of money saved up and am getting ready to make some changes, (planning a trip to California and plan to go to San Francisco and pick some clothes up.) That being said I do appreciate all the feedback I get from this post or others that I have started concerning fashion or cologne. @ BurgundyMarsh: Thanks for your thoughts, I will have to look into the Movado Bold Series. I can adjust my budget a little, but I do want to feel I am getting what I pay for. Thank you all for your responses they are appreciated.
    The Movado Bold series is quite reasonable for a Swiss made watch. You can also see them and order direct from their website, which I think is just www.movado.com.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    The Movado Bold series is quite reasonable for a Swiss made watch. You can also see them and order direct from their website, which I think is just www.movado.com.
    Awesome. Thank you.