Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Sales tactics I've noticed in some privately-owned fragrance shops

Someone started a thread about this topic a while ago and I had a similar experience today. I visited a small privately owned fragrance shop at a local outlet mall and had a varied experience. What I enjoyed was being able to find several 8ml minis of vintage Hermes Bel Ami (I love this stuff). What I disliked was the sales people asking me to sample several off-brand fragrances (while not suggesting any name brand designers). I politely told them I was looking specifically for older discontinued stuff but the SA continued to spray samples of these faux designer scents. I know the game - they make more money when they sell off-brands (the store probably bought them for $10 apiece to sell for $50). This shop had several nice discontinued fragrance buys but instead they only try to sell me something that allegedly smells like Le Male but better? The SA was even visibly upset when I chose to buy the Bel Ami miniatures rather than a blatant copy of Paco Rabanne 1 Million for $60 (I think it was called 10 Billion - I'm not lying). The whole setup just got on my nerves. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by acjigga; 17th March 2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

Default Re: Sales tactics I've noticed in some privately-owned fragrance shops

Weird man, that sucks. I have one local shop that sells some niche and a few harder to find designers, and the SA was great. No funny stuff

I would have just politely said "I'll let you know when I need your help."

OP, you just gotta be honest. You're a pro at this. Not because you are a "Basenoter", but just because I get that vibe from your excellent taste. And you should just use a constructive way, but assertive way as well, to let the SA know what you are about.

I just think it sucks that these SA's think everyone is gullible. Take it as an opportunity to let them know. Obviously, they will still be upset. But still.....I somehow think it is better that they know that there are people out there who as passionate about fragrances and its history/culture....etc.

I myself have seen these "off brands" in some shops. Actually, me and one of the assistant managers were kinda critiqing them. Bottles are kinda ugly, scent.....just nothing special. Especially for the price. $50 is not cheap for what you are getting.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

-- double post --
    Last edited by acjigga; 17th March 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears." - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois EDP, Chanel Egoiste Platinum, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Comme des Garcons Kyoto, Acqua di Parma Oud, Slumberhouse Jeke, Xerjoff Fars and Xerjoff Gao

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    OP, you just gotta be honest. You're a pro at this. Not because you are a "Basenoter", but just because I get that vibe from your excellent taste. And you should just use a constructive way, but assertive way as well, to let the SA know what you are about.

I just think it sucks that these SA's think everyone is gullible. Take it as an opportunity to let them know. Obviously, they will still be upset. But still.....I somehow think it is better that they know that there are people out there who as passionate about fragrances and its history/culture....etc.

I myself have seen these "off brands" in some shops. Actually, me and one of the assistant managers were kinda critiqing them. Bottles are kinda ugly, scent.....just nothing special. Especially for the price. $50 is not cheap for what you are getting.
    Great advice. What's funny (and sad) is the SA's probably sell gallons of this off-brand junk.
    Last edited by acjigga; 17th March 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Yes, there is a perfume cart at a mall near me. They stock some older designer stuff, but always try to sell you on these faux European "designer" scents. You can look the brands they push up online and see that they sell for like $20. But they try to sell them for $60 or more. I find a polite but firm "no thank you" with a bit of a knowing grin deters them.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    Someone started a thread about this topic a while ago and I had a similar experience today. I visited a small privately owned fragrance shop at a local outlet mall and had a varied experience. What I enjoyed was being able to find several 8ml minis of vintage Hermes Bel Ami (I love this stuff). What I disliked was the sales people asking me to sample several off-brand fragrances (while not suggesting any name brand designers). I politely told them I was looking specifically for older discontinued stuff but the SA continued to spray samples of these faux designer scents. I know the game - they make more money when they sell off-brands (the store probably bought them for $10 apiece to sell for $50). This shop had several nice discontinued fragrance buys but instead they only try to sell me something that allegedly smells like Le Male but better? The SA was even visibly upset when I chose to buy the Bel Ami miniatures rather than a blatant copy of Paco Rabanne 1 Million for $60 (I think it was called 10 Billion - I'm not lying). The whole setup just got on my nerves. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Did they try to sell you "Thallium"? That's seems to be one they like to push a lot.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Total kiosk madness! I hate those places! Your shop sounds quite civilized compared to the one we had. They weren't just pushing the cheap no-name brands - they were swapping in fakes after you sniffed the real thing on the counter. They got booted out of the mall - or else they bailed for greener pastures.

I would say that, as a general rule, one should avoid any place selling this guy....

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Total kiosk madness! I hate those places! Your shop sounds quite civilized compared to the one we had. They weren't just pushing the cheap no-name brands - they were swapping in fakes after you sniffed the real thing on the counter. They got booted out of the mall - or else they bailed for greener pastures.

I would say that, as a general rule, one should avoid any place selling this guy....

LOL! These type of stores are just shameless.

Yes. The place i go to buy perfume bottles always tries to push non-brand perfumes. I know it's because the profit rate is much more than selling designers.

No need to get upset about it. Just go about your business.

for swap/sale:

I have seen piles of that thallium crap at some places. there are a bunch of different colored ones with a guy swinging a golf club too, some polo knockoffs i guess. i always just sniff the tester strip they give me and say " that smells pretty good." and then put it down on the counter and keep looking for whatever im looking for. most people they sells these too are probably perfectly happy with this junk. there is obviously a huge market for it. in the large perfume warehouses in Dallas there is always at least one wall lined with 10 Billion, 313 Men, Thallium, Thallium Gold, Daggers and Dice, Douche Dragon......
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    LOL! These type of stores are just shameless.
    I agree, there was a shop like this in town, but now it's closed.

I saw a perfume shop in one of the malls back home that sold rip-offs. They had the one that looks EXACTLY like 1 Million. I guess it's the 1 Gagillion or whatever. It smelled just like 1 Million too. I remarked that it was a good rip-off of 1 Million and the store employee tried telling me that it's not a rip-off of 1 Million. I was like "Are you serious?" And he kept insisting that it was not a rip, but a totally different fragrance altogether. They also had the 212 Men rip off with different numbers. Smelled just like 212. Needless to say I didn't buy anything from there. It's a shame b/c they had some pretty good stuff in the back. They had L'Instant De Guerlain PH, Guerlain Vetiver, Habit Rouge, Lapidus PH, and a bunch of other good designers.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I hate pushy SAs, I know from working as an SA in the past how pushy bosses can be and such to make the most sales and force them onto customers, but oh man.
    LUSH is the worst, seriously, as soon as I walk through the door I get smothered, I still haven't tried the whole Gorilla line yet becuase I get so stressed out in there. It's either some hyperactive librarian looking chick or some guy with dreadlocks and glitter eyeshadow asking me "what kind of scents do you enjoy" as if I have no capability of making a choice myself :')

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I hate pushy SAs, I know from working as an SA in the past how pushy bosses can be and such to make the most sales and force them onto customers, but oh man.
    LUSH is the worst, seriously, as soon as I walk through the door I get smothered, I still haven't tried the whole Gorilla line yet becuase I get so stressed out in there. It's either some hyperactive librarian looking chick or some guy with dreadlocks and glitter eyeshadow asking me "what kind of scents do you enjoy" as if I have no capability of making a choice myself :')
    Haha, I got molested when i went into Lush. Some scenester dude w thick black and blue eyeliner rubbed those frags all up and down my arms. Another girl that worked there walked by and sort of laughed because she saw him taking advantage of me. He was also spraying them into these filthy glasses and having me smell them that way. Had to go wash my arms because of wondering when the last time he washed his has was.....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Down here the Thallium and its cousins are found in open shelves of pharmacies going for around $25 to $30 for a big bottle. Sometimes they're bottom shelf stuff. Their good designer scents are instead usually held behind glass cabinets.

No one has ever suggested to me that I even try them. They are sold cheaply because every one knows they smell a bit cheap (lacking complexity), and don't belong antwhere near the good stuff.

I'm amazed that anyone could have a price on them of $60, and especially trying to con anyone into buying them with such fragrant lies.
    Renato

P.S. I've seen 313 Men also going for $10 in discount cosmetics counters placed in the middle of shopping centres, which otherwise carry no legit designer fragrances.
    Last edited by Renato; 18th March 2012 at 07:13 AM.

Did they ask you for paypal? That's another big red flag it's a RIP-OFF fer sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey.its.me View Post
    Did they ask you for paypal? That's another big red flag it's a RIP-OFF fer sure.
    HA HA. PM me if you have any issues.

If they have any sense they'll eventually learn to not try to sell that crap to you. The little perfume kiosk near my house has thallium and some other bullshit fragrances, but the SA there has actually started making really good suggestions - like Givenchy Gentleman (which I loved and bought immediately). Just politely refuse and treat them with kindness and they can eventually become a great help.

I'm now realizing that I'm on a first name basis with all of the fragrance retail workers in a 25 mile radius. Jesus, I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey.its.me View Post
    Lol

Yeah, I've been a victim of these sales tactics as well, but thank goodness I've never made a purchase. The names of these fragrances are hilarious by the way (10 Billion? 313 Men? )

It is even worse when you go into an established shop that deal quality niche and designer fragrances and get terrible service. I went to a local long time established shop searching and wanting to sample several fragrances for a purchase. I went in twice and smelled about 4 or five fragrances each time (never got a sample) before my nose got burned out. On my third visit I asked specifically for Black Aoud. "We are out of that." Then I asked for Ambre Sultan. "We are out of that too. So...what are you going to buy?" was their reply. I was shocked, and dismayed! I turned around and never went back and I may never shade their door again. In the end I bought Black Aoud from France, got extra concentration and a 20ml bottle of Dark Aoud for $50 less than I could have locally. And I bought Ambre Sultan at a discount saving another $40. I am tempted to go back with the box of fragrances I have purchased in the last 6 months and tell them they really messed up.

As for discounters, I always just let them know I know my fragrances well. One shop told me I would never find Terre d'Hermes because it had been discontinued! LOL. Discounters will tell you anything to make a sale! Established shops should do anything to make a potential customer happy so they will want to return. Customer service is a thing of the past it seems...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I once had a guy in a local perfume shop tell me his bottle of "Green Frich Tweed" was spelled that way because it was "something Creed did the first week of Christmas."

I bid him adieu whilst sending mental f**k waves crashing against the shores of his karma.

Did he have Brute in stock too? ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I am tempted to go back with the box of fragrances I have purchased in the last 6 months and tell them they really messed up.
    You would be my personal hero if you did that. I am fed up with pushy, ignorant SA's.

Btw, I see Dior Leather Oud and Bond NY Oud have switched spots?! I am contemplating buying the big bottle of Leather Oud...

I did change my signature and I may change it again. I love all the scents in my signature but I changed the order of the two because when I wear Leather Oud I get complements every time. Seems weird to me because Leather Oud is dark, animalic and "challenging", but when I get complements galore, I have to move it up on the list. I guess it just works for me!

As for the shop that treated me poorly, I should go in and show them a couple of thousand dollars worth of fragrances, but I don't know if it is worth my time. They do carry Amouage, Lutens, and many other niche fragrances, but I can get samples elsewhere. Would be nice to have a shop locally so I can sample, smell and buy, but the Internet is so handy I just don't need them. Since I live in the neighborhood and don't drive in with a Benty or have a foreign accent I think they just don't care. I look like I live here...which I do, and I usually arrive in street clothes suitable for the Bohemian neighborhood. Screw 'em!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Even greater retail chains, like some Douglas subsidiaries, sadly do sometimes adopt this tactics

With two differences though, both more or less to the advantage of fragrance consumers: they do want to push faux-brand name products, but they are not THAT pushy, while their pseudo-branded surrogates at least come cheap (even if judging by the appeal these products might have among less discerning customers, probably still very profitable), e.g. a Boss Bottled knockoff at 5-10 Euros

I brought Thallium back in '08 for $10 when i visited florida, im not ashamed to say i like it :P

I wish I could at least have that problem. I don't have one single Boutique/Shop in Columbus.