Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dzongkha, Dzing! or Timbuktu?

Looking for another fragrance along the lines of L'Air Du Desert Marocain--dry, dusty, and a little strange. Something that evokes sun-baked climates in far-off places, exotic spices, and musty libraries with esoteric texts. You know...that kind of thing.

I sort of have it narrowed down to the 3 mentioned in the title of this thread, but any other recommendations are welcome as well. At the moment, I'm leaning toward Dzongkha, but I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

--Bb

Default Re: Dzongkha, Dzing! or Timbuktu?

Have and love all three in your title. My preference is for Dzongkha. Can't go wrong with that IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have and love all three in your title. My preference is for Dzongkha. Can't go wrong with that IMO.
    Thanks, Hednic. Always appreciate your advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Far-off places and exotic spices prompts me to recommend Comme des Garçons Jaisalmer, which ushered me back into my fragrance obsession. It's a beautiful spiced incense. From among your choices, though, I'd also go with Dzongkha, particularly since you're looking for dusty and a little strange. (Timbuktu is beautiful but not particularly strange. It's very similar to CdG Kyoto, by the way -- both by Duchaufour.)

Post Thanks / Like

I actually reviewed Dzongkha today here.
    I'm not a massive fan, but if you like it then go for it. It's the fragrance that most accurately fits your description. But I don't find it exotic or spicy, theyre two words I wouldn't use at all.
    onethinline's mention of Jaisalmer is a great choice!
    Have you tried Tauer's other offering: Eau D'Epices?
    Last edited by forfreddie; 18th March 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dzing for me

Post Thanks / Like

Dzing! > Timbuktu > Dzongkha
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Although Dzing! is one of my current favorites, I don't think it meets what you are seeking in a fragrance. Of the three.....I would choose Dzongkha for you. I have not tried Timbuktu.

But please, try out Dzing! when you can. Great scent. But somewhat polarizing.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help so far!

@onethinline...I'll definitely look into Jaisalmer. It's funny, I've looked into the CDG incense series before and that's the one that I can't remember ever hearing about, but it sounds like what I'm looking for.

@forfreddie....Great review, and great blog. I look forward to following it. Dzongkha seems to very much fit what I'm looking for. But I'll have to put it up against Jaisalmer now as well.

@surfacing...Dzing! sounds very weird, I have to check it out now.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

...you should try them all...!

Post Thanks / Like

Have all three. my favorites from L'AP.

I won't describe them as you can find excellent reviews of them online but I will say they are different enough to justify owning all three. I like them equally.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    @forfreddie....Great review, and great blog. I look forward to following it. Dzongkha seems to very much fit what I'm looking for. But I'll have to put it up against Jaisalmer now as well.
    Thanks!
    Thank YOU for the kind words.
    Dzongkha and Jaisalmer are completely different.
    Dzongkha is a wonderfully unique fragrance, but as hedonist says above, they are 3 completely different scents you have chosen.
    If I'm honest, the wonderful opening of Dzing! doesn't persist enough and the drydown is a hay/vanilla which is extremely quiet.
    There are MUCH better leathers out there, and considering Dzing! is available only in a 100ml bottle, the novelty of the opening shortly wears off (Dzing! was my first niche purchase)

If you are blindbuying a bottle, look into every other option, whilst these 3 are good choices, there are other GREAT choices out there. But then again, this is my mentality as I have a small collection, if yours is much more substantial then don't let me influence you at all any of them would be a great contribution.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Have all three. my favorites from L'AP.

I won't describe them as you can find excellent reviews of them online but I will say they are different enough to justify owning all three. I like them equally.
    Agree! I tend to wear Dzing! when it's hot, Timbuktu when it's cold and for sleeping and Dzonghka whenever else I want.
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

lot of L'Artisan experts here. what do you think about Piment Brulent..just be brutally honest..this one gets lot of bashing

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I also like Dzing! the best of the three suggested, and find it to last well and be very original (barely a leather to my nose), then Timbuktu, and never liked Dzongkha (which I found simply astringent and irritating). None of them ideally evoke the dry, dusty, aged character of LAdDM though. Definitely try before buy. Piment Brulant smells on my skin like I've been rubbed in green peppers, not very appealing, although it took on a spicy character when my ex wore it that probably makes it worth a sniff for some people. If you're looking for a L'Artisan fragrance, consider Safran Troublant.

Post Thanks / Like

Timbuktu > Dzing! > >>>> > Dzongkha

Have them all 3. Dont like Dzongkha very much.

Timbuktu and Dzing! amazing !

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I also like Dzing! the best of the three suggested, and find it to last well and be very original (barely a leather to my nose), then Timbuktu, and never liked Dzongkha (which I found simply astringent and irritating). None of them ideally evoke the dry, dusty, aged character of LAdDM though. Definitely try before buy. Piment Brulant smells on my skin like I've been rubbed in green peppers, not very appealing, although it took on a spicy character when my ex wore it that probably makes it worth a sniff for some people. If you're looking for a L'Artisan fragrance, consider Safran Troublant.
    safran definitely seems better but the only problem is the deal i am getting on piment brulant which is too tempting..about $31 total for 1.7 oz brand new bottle (vintage version)

Post Thanks / Like

Dzongka is probably the one that best satisfies your requirements. Though I prefer the other two; Timbuktu is less resiny incensy. Dzing! is not in the style at all - it's a wonderful animalic leather.

cacio

dzing is really good but if you cant afford it, get bvlgari black..pretty good substitute

Post Thanks / Like

Balsamo della Mecca from La Via del Profumo (www.profumo.it) might be a good one to check out. I haven't tried his new Sharif yet but that one might also fit the bill.

The three l'Artisans are all good, but none of them are along the same lines as L'Air or evoke the image you mention. Maybe the dryness of Timbuktu but there is no amber / oriental thing going on. Dzongkha has more of a damp, chilly iris thing happening - miles away from a desert vibe. Dzing is the friendliest of the three - not austere at all.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 21st March 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
    Timbuktu > Dzing! > >>>> > Dzongkha

Have them all 3. Dont like Dzongkha very much.

Timbuktu and Dzing! amazing !
    +1

These 3 are all very different.
    For me, Timbuktu is the most wearable, if a bit 'dressy/formal' smelling.
    Dzing! is the most interesting/unusual, but harder to wear (maybe even 'Not Safe For Work')
    Dzongkha is interesting and nice, but goes 'off' quickly on my skin and takes on an unpleasant 'sour/sticky' aspect, like leftover Chinese food.

Dzongkha is often compared to L'Air du Desert Marocain (not sure why--the similarity is conceptual at best), but Marocain is far better and easier to wear.

All that said, if I were going to recommend a trio of L'Artisans to someone wanting the 'best of the house', I'd say Timbuktu, Dzing!, and Aedes de Venustas EdP (this being made by L'Artisan exclusively for aedes.com) Aedes doesn't get mentioned much because it's not in L'Artisan's general catalog, but it is easily one of their best. Aedes is the absolute best sweet incense I know of. Top notes of coffee and rose (both very subtle), great longevity and sillage, very wearable. It's a bit like Amouage's Jubilation XXV (both composed by Bertrand Duchaufour), but without the foody curry spices (which I personally can't stand in any perfume) Also: comes in the prettiest bottle of any L'Artisan fragrance.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Three top notches from L'Artisan. Personally I prefer Dzing but I guess it fits only the library part of your bill...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

All three are good....but for what you are looking for, perhaps Dzongkha would be the best choice.

For other dry, exotic, evocative scent close to LDDM, you should check out Copper Skies by Kerosene. It's like cousins to LDDM and Ambre Sultan.

Timbuktu

I'm recommending that one since I think it is similar but less heavy in the base (more transparent) than the L'Air and has a wonderful sour vetiver note that puts it in front of Dzongkha for me (the latter almost has a "wet paint" or wet stone note in the dry down, much cooler).

So, if you want something more transparent, yet still energetic, Timbuktu.
    Dry, ethereal, woody and cool, Dzongkha
    Warm, sweet, animalic and cuddly, Dzing!

I've got Dzing! and Timbuktu; I love Dzongkha but have put off purchasing it for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...you should try them all...!
    Yes they are all worth a try

Post Thanks / Like

I reaaaaally wanted to do a blind buy of Dzongkha just for the thrill of it, but after reading all of your responses I went ahead and ordered samples of all 3. The opinions here were just too split up and it seems that all 3 are definitely worth checking out.

So, the samples are on their way! I'll be sure to update this post after they arrive

Post Thanks / Like

I reaaaaally wanted to do a blind buy of Dzongkha just for the thrill of it, but after reading all of your responses I went ahead and ordered samples of all 3. The opinions here were just too split up and it seems that all 3 are definitely worth checking out.

So, the samples are on their way! I'll be sure to update this post after they arrive
    Smart move! Let us know what you think.

Post Thanks / Like

You're disgracing your name : /

for swap/sale:

Dzing! is by far the best of these three, imo.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Dry and dusty? Far off places? Please please wait to make a purchase until you can try Amouage's Opus VI. It's all sun baked earth and dried bay leaves, slightly medicinal sandalwood. There is a unique floral element, which is present through most of the heart but remains in the background, that lends it an elegant factor that is missing in Timbuktu, L'Air, Let Me Play the Lion, and other such dry dry fragrances.

It calls to mind a mix of arabic deserts and an image like this of the Parthenon:

Also, the late dry down smells distinctly of books and dry paper as a slight vanilla note joins the very dry but never scratchy woods. Throughout there is a slight background of amber, but it's misleading to think of the scent as an amber prominent scent, imo!

Post Thanks / Like

Timbuktu

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I owned Dzongkha but gave it away, I found it too girly. I don't like Dzing, so I vote Timbuktu.
    Disclaimer: idk lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of Timbuktu coming tomorrow and I am very excited!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Dry and dusty? Far off places? Please please wait to make a purchase until you can try Amouage's Opus VI. It's all sun baked earth and dried bay leaves, slightly medicinal sandalwood. There is a unique floral element, which is present through most of the heart but remains in the background, that lends it an elegant factor that is missing in Timbuktu, L'Air, Let Me Play the Lion, and other such dry dry fragrances.

It calls to mind a mix of arabic deserts and an image like this of the Parthenon:

Also, the late dry down smells distinctly of books and dry paper as a slight vanilla note joins the very dry but never scratchy woods. Throughout there is a slight background of amber, but it's misleading to think of the scent as an amber prominent scent, imo!
    Sounds awesome. I'll definitely sample that before I make a purchase. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    You're disgracing your name : /

I know I know I know.......

Buysblindsometimesoccasionallysamplesitdependsonhi smoodandbudget just doesn't have the same ring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buysblind View Post
    i know i know i know.......

Buysblindsometimesoccasionallysamplesitdependsonhi smoodandbudget just doesn't have the same ring.
    lol

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Soooo...

I got the samples in today and I have Dzongkha on one arm at the moment and Timbuktu on the other. Of course I'll give each their own wearing at some point but I like to do this when I first sample.

Timbuktu: Reminds me of an old, sweaty leather shoe for the first half hour. A shoe that someone just took their foot out of after walking a while without socks. Really, it could be my skin, but I get a sour, vinegary, bitter kind of body odor note that isn't too pleasant. I'm assuming the sour is the mango and the body odor is the mango combined with the cardamom. And that's really the dominant smell in the opening. As it dries down it becomes nicer. A green vetiver, that papyrus note, and a kind of soapy incense kick in. It retains a hint of the sour b.o. from the opening but it's faint.

I'm not thrilled by this. But I'll give it a full wearing and see how it holds up throughout the day.

BTW, sniffing this one repeatedly has given me a huge headache.

Dzongkha Much more pleasant. I like it quite a bit. Surprisingly, I get a lot of leather, iris and peony. A floral leather with a bit of a sweet quality to it (could be lychee fruit). In the background there's some spice and vetiver, but it's soft. I don't get any of the overwhelming spice and pepper so many reviews mention. But as the fragrance develops the spices become more apparent. I think it's much smoother and easier to wear than Timbuktu.

This one's good. I'll think about it and wear it again. Though it does not match what I am looking for at the moment.

Tomorrow, I go Dzing! and get to see what's that's all about.

EDIT: Hmmm. I was sitting here racking my brain TRYING to figure out what the heart of Timbuktu reminds me of....it smells exactly like something I've been wearing recently, when it came to me---and I'm shocked--A*MEN PURE SHOT! While Timbuktu is more pronounced overall, the heart is very similar to that of Pure Shot (which lasts for about half an hour). I've described Pure Shot as soapy with a hint of b.o. and, as it turns out, I just made the same assessment for Timbuktu. But really, very similar. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried Dzongkha two days ago and I quite like it but damn that stuff is potent on my skin. I can still smell it on my wrist even after a couple of showers and spraying another fragrance (Tea for Two) over it yesterday. The drydown is very peppery and lasts a long time, I thought it was gone by now cause I could hardly smell it but the warm weather today has totally revigorated it. Amazing since there's no trace left of the Tea for Two I wore yesterday but Dzongkha is still there! Unless the drydown of Tea for Two has lots of pepper and that's what I'm smelling but I doubt that...

By the way, Tea for Two is a lovely fragrance, I like it a lot. Too bad they discontinued it...
    Last edited by Daze; 27th March 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

OF those you listed, I would say Timbuktu. Have you tried SL Ambre Sultan? I find that similarish to LADDM
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Finally tried Dzongkha. Anyone else get some serious similarities to Amouage Dia Man? They share iris, leather, cardamom, incense, peony, and maybe a few other notes (too lazy to look them up as I dislike both of them!)

I don't get the appeal of Dzongkha at all. It's an ok smell, but not a real perfume, imo. Well, ok, it is a perfume, despite it's almost total lack of evolution, but I don't get why anyone would want to smell of it all day. Powdery and sweet but spicy and floral, it is, along with Dia, a textbook example of what happens when you fail to truly integrate the contrasting elements of a composition. Blah.

Opus VI or Let Me Play the Lion are much closer to what you describe in your original post. I can't believe I didn't mention Let Me Play the Lion before. You definitely need to check it out! WAY closer to L'Air, while still being totally unique, than any of the three in your title.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

( Sorry to zombify this thread but I was doing some research into Dzing when i stumbled upon this thread)

So... Which did you buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Three top notches from L'Artisan. Personally I prefer Dzing but I guess it fits only the library part of your bill...
    + 1
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EncreNous View Post
    ( Sorry to zombify this thread but I was doing some research into Dzing when i stumbled upon this thread)

So... Which did you buy?

No, it's cool that you brought this up because I had completely forgotten about it.

Anyway...I didn't buy anything at first. Then, about 2 months ago, I saw Dzongkha at a price I couldn't pass up (something like $45 shipped for a 50ml bottle), so I went for it.

Now, I own Dzongkha, and really enjoy it. But I go very light with it, maybe one or two sprays. It's one of the most unique scents I own, and I notice that people notice it immediately (but they never expect it to be me!).

I would love to get a bottle of Dzing! at some point too--I'm constantly scanning ebay for it.

As for Timbuktu, I think I assessed it poorly. I would like to sample it again, this time maybe for a week or so, because I hear such great things about it and my experience was so different.

Anyway, I'm glad you resurrected this thread. It's full of many, many great, helpful answers and detailed explanations of the 3 frags and I think it's good for other people who might be interested in these to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you managed to get one of the three you were wondering about, and Dzongkha is definitely unusual. I should revisit it in the same way you want to review Timbuktu. Sadly, I noticed recently that Dzing is no longer available on the L'Artisan website...shades of Turin?!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT]

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No, it's cool that you brought this up because I had completely forgotten about it.

Anyway...I didn't buy anything at first. Then, about 2 months ago, I saw Dzongkha at a price I couldn't pass up (something like $45 shipped for a 50ml bottle), so I went for it.

Now, I own Dzongkha, and really enjoy it. But I go very light with it, maybe one or two sprays. It's one of the most unique scents I own, and I notice that people notice it immediately (but they never expect it to be me!).

I would love to get a bottle of Dzing! at some point too--I'm constantly scanning ebay for it.

As for Timbuktu, I think I assessed it poorly. I would like to sample it again, this time maybe for a week or so, because I hear such great things about it and my experience was so different.

Anyway, I'm glad you resurrected this thread. It's full of many, many great, helpful answers and detailed explanations of the 3 frags and I think it's good for other people who might be interested in these to see it.

Ha! I thought you'd go for Dzing. Gotta retry my sample of Dzonghka now!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a decant of Dzonghka and this was always just enough for me, it's such a freaky bizarre scent for me. That sour, tart, salty iris smell...I really have to be in the mood for it. I found it smells wonderful if I'm hot and a tiny bit sweaty (like post-gym locker room time). I've never worn it in the cold of winter, so perhaps I'm missing some other facet of the scent, but I really do enjoy it in the hot weather here. It is, IMO, a nice representation of Betrand Duchaufour doing what he does well.

Nonetheless, I think the other two are amazing also...I just happened to have given more skin time to the Dzonghka.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Dzonghka is too vegetal on my skin, not a fan. Timbuktu on the other hand is great, but for some reason longetivity and projection for these two are very poor for me. I think though I would go for Duchaufour's other L'Artisan creation Mechant Loup, didn't particularly like it at first but now I certainly do. A very interesting take on spices, it's kind of fresh and uplifting.

Post Thanks / Like

Timbuktu is an excellent fragrance. The other 2 suck imo.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Post Thanks / Like

Dzongkha!

If you're looking for something in the line of L'Air Du Desert Marocain (which I love), I would not recommend Dzing!. For me Dzing! was very, very sweet and not much more. I know others get a lot more from it, but it was too cloying for me and I didn't find it had any elements remotely close to Marocain.

Post Thanks / Like

Dzongkha is most similar in overall effect to L'Air du Desert Marocain, although there is no substitute for the original. Given the choice, I would grab Dzongkha over L'Air du Desert Marocain, if only because of my dislike for the sickly sweet drydown of the Tauer fragrance. It should be noted that Dzongkha has a prominent "celery" note that many find off-putting, so that may be something to consider. All that being said, of the three L'Artisan fragrances you mentioned, Dzing! is my absolute favorite and, conceptually, miles ahead of Dzongkha. Timbuktu is just plain beautiful and fits the bill for "dry, dusty, and a little strange" better than any of the other three. All three are solid choices though (I own all of them).

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

"Timbuktu is just plain beautiful and fits the bill for "dry, dusty, and a little strange" better than any of the other three. All three are solid choices though (I own all of them)."

Same here.