Code of Conduct

Default The perfect rose?

Hello All,
    I'm searching for the perfect rose scent. Something that is soft and natural. Not death by flowers. Please help! Thank you!!

Default Re: The perfect rose?

Easiest to get hold of natural rose I know of and love is Paul Smith Rose.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I'm partial to juliet has a gun- lady vengeance as a rose soliflore (more or less). After long thought, I decided that it's unisex, not strictly feminine. My favorite roses are windsor and lyric man, but they have more going on than just rose.

Basenotes Institution

Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie . A beautiful rose .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Oops didn't realize this was a post for the female discussion forum. I would still recommend lady vengeance though

perfect is a tall order.
    my suggestion is bulgari rose essentielle edt, if I get what you mean.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

There are sooo many wonderful rose perfumes. Help us narrow it down.

1. What price range are you aiming at?

2. Are you looking for a perfume that is relatively easy to find or one that you might have to hunt down, possibly online?

3. Which ones have you tried already and either like, or found they didn't suit you?

I'd give another vote for Paul Smith Rose, I LOVE it. Starts off with quite a bit of green tea, dries down soft and sweet (but not too sweet). Or you could try Stella, also lovely!

You could also try Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue or Ce Soir ou Jamais. I prefer CSOJ, Rose Absolue is more of an 80s rose scent and not really my kind of thing

Serge Lutens Sa Majesté la Rose

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    There are sooo many wonderful rose perfumes. Help us narrow it down.

1. What price range are you aiming at?

2. Are you looking for a perfume that is relatively easy to find or one that you might have to hunt down, possibly online?

3. Which ones have you tried already and either like, or found they didn't suit you?
    Price does not matter at all. I love the hard to find scents.
    Rose is a new search for me, I have tried rose ikebana from Hermes, lipstick rose by Frederic Malle and rose poivree from the diffrent company.
    I think I am looking for a lighter more transparent scent.
    Please let me know if I'm a little crazy. Thanks again!

Hi! A couple of quiet rose fragrances to look at:

Miller et Bertaux Shanti Shanti - Read what Robin at NST has to say about it in this article: http://www.nstperfume.com/2008/08/01...es-more-roses/

Envoyage Perfumes L'Emblem Rouge – A very lovely, lightly spicy all-natural rose. Here is one review: http://www.envoyageperfumes.com/stor...-Henrique.html

Best wishes on your rose hunt!

Very interesting! Thanks so much!!

I suggest you look into the range of Parfums de Rosine: they specialize in rose, in the various possible forms. I think the lighter ones are Ecume de roses and Un Zest de rose, but there are many others.

I'd also like the Parisians to stop by Patou on rue Castiglione and report on the reformulated Joy parfum (I stopped last year but the store was closed). Perfume critic Luca Turin states that it is now the perfect rose (fresh, slightly green).

cacio

I know of and love is Paul Smith Rose.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

A lighter and more transparent rose, price no object?

You may like Highness Rose by Montale, being sold by The Perfume Shoppe online at deep discount. (100ml used to cost $900; 50 ml was $700-- it's a lot less now.) This rose smells (to me) just like our bushes of "Roseraie de L'Hay", a rugosa with a bit of a spicy carnation note. Sillage is lower than usual and it is quite linear but it has great longevity. This online store also sells samples.

As cacio suggested, the Rosine line is worth trying. You can buy the sample set from Les Parfums de Rosine's online boutique. The price is low for so many samples and the cost includes shipping from France. Specify the ones you want to try.

I just ordered the rosine samples. Highness rose is next, thanks!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Another really transparent rose (too transparent for me) is Prada Infusion de Rose. I like my roses to have more substance than that one has, but it may suit you.

Also, others have mentioned Annick Goutal Rose Absolue. This is wonderful stuff, a composite of 6 roses, similar to Highness Rose but brighter. It is more rose de mai than Bulgarian rose. I like the eau de parfum strength, but if you are looking for lighter and more transparent (with lower longevity though) they came out with a very light version 2 years ago, the "eau parfumée". The bottle has a bright pink ribbon and is only available in 100ml, where the edp strength of the same scent has a gold ribbon and gold lamé pouch, and is most often seen in 50 ml bottles.

Finally, although it is not what I'd call transparent, I have to mention Creed Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare, my personal favorite rose fragrance. Very natural.

I keep editing with more thoughts. For people reading this thread who are looking for a soft and natural rose that is more affordable and easier to find than many on this thread, my daughter really likes one sold at Anthopologie called Happ & Stahns 1842 Rosa Alba. See Anthropologie website. It's nice enough-- not my idea of the perfect rose but it is nice.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 19th March 2012 at 03:22 AM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Gosh, here I go again. I figure I edited the last post enough times and I'm due for a new one.

I have a BN friend who loves Penhaligon's Elisabethan Rose and thinks it's the best rose perfume he's smelled.

Basenotes Institution

A lighter and more transparent rose, price no object?

You may like Highness Rose by Montale, being sold by The Perfume Shoppe online at deep discount. (100ml used to cost $900; 50 ml was $700-- it's a lot less now.) This rose smells (to me) just like our bushes of "Roseraie de L'Hay", a rugosa with a bit of a spicy carnation note. Sillage is lower than usual and it is quite linear but it has great longevity. This online store also sells samples.
    30 Roses, Highness Rose is exquisite ! Lasts quite a while too. ( As is Rose Absolue by Annick Goutal - but I found longevity was only 20 minutes ,unfortunately. However, a very heavenly complete rose 20 minutes . )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sur la Plage

Diptyque Eau Rose
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

with the mention of eau rose, I'll add l'ombre dans l'eau, also by dyptique and rose 31 by le labo

Paestum Rose on a crisp and transparent tip -- think CDG's White but with more rose

I love the description for Rose 31. A rose for men destined to be stolen by woman.
    Thank you I will order samples today!

Paestum Rose was created by Bertrand Duchafour! I love his MDCI La Belle Helene.
    I will try, thanks!

I can see I will be sending my next four paychecks to Paris!
    Perfect! Thank you!

Hi aidemoi, welcome to basenotes!

Rose perfumes are my favorites, too ...and I'd be recommending a bunch but according to your criteria in post #10, the one that comes to mind is Shiseido's White Rose, which is the most perfectly gorgeous, luminous and luxurious rose perfume I know of. It's very hard to find (here in the US, at least - I believe it's exclusive to Japan) but you said you liked a challenge, and this is one that's worth it.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Since you seem to want a simple rose - L'artisan has Voleur De Roses. Very beautiful

Thank you Evangline!
    I just found a sample of Shisedido's white rose! I should have it in a few days!
    Can you suggest others?
    Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    Since you seem to want a simple rose - L'artisan has Voleur De Roses. Very beautiful
    Hello, I see in Voleur de Roses it has plum and patchouli. In your opinion is the patchouli strong or soft? I had a bad experience with patchouli before and I'm still a bit gun shy. I'm sure since you suggested it, it is beautiful.

Blog Entries

the patchouli is soft and earthy in VdR, but the rose transitions gradually from the rose to the patchouli and at about 4 hours it smells more of patchouli. the plum just augments the rose. My most recent bottle had an amped up plum that overwhelmed the rose. I asked the authorized l'artisan retailer about it and even sent it back but they insisted nothing was wrong with my bottle. I've been buying VdR for many years and there is no doubt that this new bottle is not the same thing. I hope it was just a bad bottle, but they insisted it smelled like all of their others. So maybe a reformulation just recently occurred. I hope not. Definitely try it because it is a classic, but i'm afraid that the amplified plum note ruins it. But like I said, i really hope my case was just a matter of a bad bottle.

Lady vengeance was a suitable alternative to VdR. The vanilla serves the purpose of what the plum used to do in VdR: adds just a touch of a sweet tone between the rose and patchouli to give it a rounder blend. The character of the two roses is a little different (a different strain of rose was used certainly). I also think the lady vengeance is a little more feminine, which forced me to think hard about whether I'd be comfortable wearing it. But it is so good; it's a real over-ripe, juicy, luscious rose. On a girl especially: totally irresistible.
    Last edited by autumngleeman; 21st March 2012 at 03:59 PM.

My favorite rose is "Une Rose" by Frederic Malle, it's a pure rose, maybe a bit "oily", but still an amazing blooming dark red rose. Another one i like is "Rose Absolue" Annick Goutal, but have to agree with Mimi Gardenia the longevity is poor

I'll add Liasons Dangereuses and Rose Oud By Kilian.

Une Rose by Malle!

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    with the mention of eau rose, I'll add l'ombre dans l'eau, also by dyptique and rose 31 by le labo
    I just tried Le Labo Rose 31. Wow! What a twist to rose, I absolutely love it!!
    Thank you!!

I love strong, exotic scents, but I must always have a simple rose. My current favorite is Rose de Maya, by Ren. Fresh with a touch of citrus that adds to the freshness.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Any updates, aidemoi? I'm curious about your impressions of the ones you tested.

If you like green scents I would also recommend L'ombre dans l'eau. Quite soft after the sharper green opening.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I suggest you look into the range of Parfums de Rosine: they specialize in rose, in the various possible forms.
    +1 and they have a discovery pack of the whole range available online.

Also, Jo Malone Red Roses; clean and sheer as all Jo Malones are.
    Crabtree and Evelyn Rosewater Eau Fraiche, just like a rose garden.

Remember to keep us posted!

+1 Sa Majeste La Rose
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Nahema also comes to mind, but perhaps not soft enough for your taste.

Any updates, aidemoi? I'm curious about your impressions of the ones you tested.
    First, thank you all for your advice on the perfect rose! I have been overwhelmed with the most beautiful rose scents. I am still waiting on the arrival of a few more samples but as it stands right now my most loved are:
    Fleur de The Rose Bulgare and Le Labo Rose 31.
    I first had a mind set of what I wanted but as I explored all the suggestions, I found I was most attracted to what didn't match my description. Much like life, huh?
    Thank you again!!