Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MFK Oud + Amber Oud = BIG Disappointment for me

I am a huge fan of oud frags but alas I've had 2 duds in a row and I'm talking expensive duds. Amber oud was the first one and now this MFK Oud. Very bland. Fragrances with no depth or soul. No real character. It's like a soda that's lost it's fizz. No Sparkle. Both of these seem like frags that could be found in the bargain bin. Right after application I feel like I'm eight hours into wearing the fragrance.....you know what I mean.....all the Shimmer and depth has left and the fragrance it's making it's exit. I just can't believe it....I'm in real shock over these two. Now remember, this is how they work for me...if you are a fan don't send out a hitman, lol.

Default Re: MFK Oud + Amber Oud = BIG Disappointment for me

I wonder if MFK rushed this one out to get on the Oud bandwagon as a good few of his other scents are really good. I do not know if this is true as I have not sampled MFK Oud but I heard one reviewer saying it smelled like gummi bears.lol

Post Thanks / Like

I dont care for the Amber Oud either. Nothing special.
    Have not tested the MFK yet.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

MFK really is not very good. I mean for people who actually like oud and want to smell it.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    MFK really is not very good. I mean for people who actually like oud and want to smell it.
    So then it is like Royal Dud?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    I am a huge fan of oud frags but alas I've had 2 duds in a row and I'm talking expensive duds. Amber oud was the first one and now this MFK Oud. Very bland. Fragrances with no depth or soul. No real character. It's like a soda that's lost it's fizz. No Sparkle. Both of these seem like frags that could be found in the bargain bin. Right after application I feel like I'm eight hours into wearing the fragrance.....you know what I mean.....all the Shimmer and depth has left and the fragrance it's making it's exit. I just can't believe it....I'm in real shock over these two. Now remember, this is how they work for me...if you are a fan don't send out a hitman, lol.
    Just curious if you have tried any of Micallef's Aoud scents. If not, they might have the pizazz you're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just curious if you have tried any of Micallef's Aoud scents. If not, they might have the pizazz you're looking for.
    I have tried some Micallefs they are decent. Some of my favorite's are oud 27, harrods oud, al oudh, pure oud, aoud 1, dark oud, oud cuir d'arabie.....and yes I'm actually a fan of royal oud :-) -

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about MFK's but I enjoyed Amber Oud... although I agree that it is not for someone who wants oud to be prominent. I though Amber Oud was very subtle and understated, so it can seem bland, but in any case there isn't much oud, that's for sure.

I recently bought a couple of Agaraura's mukhallats, they feature real, high quality oud as the prominent note. I like them better than any other westernized, alcohol based oud perfume I've tried... by far. I recommend trying Layali and Idaina Dento from their current line up, if you like those sign up for updates as the selection rotates. Some of his oils are starting to sell out pretty quick. The .2 mL samples sound expensive, but they are huge samples, 20+ wearings.

http://agaraura.com/mukh.html

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't a fan of MFK's Oud. It's a little too sweet and doesn't really capture the aura of oud as I expect it to. I think it's a rushed offering in a fragrance world dominated by so many Oud based fragrances.

Kurkdjian Oud is not strong as the others in his line??
    Will be disappointed if it is... Kurkdjian + Oud, i was expecting a bomb.

Whats the price tag?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    So then it is like Royal Dud?
    Yes, it even has that safe bland air but it's better than the royal oud. Which is not a hard feat.
    If it was named absolue pour nothin' I wouldn't mind it terribly. But it's named oud.

Daniel, I don't imagine you liking this. It's not powerful, it doesn't smell over the top, and it's more expensive than the rest of the line. Apom and apls are more appropriate for you.. I'd think.
    Last edited by sarıpatates; 20th March 2012 at 07:37 AM.

I agree, I was also expecting something different from those two oud fragrances.
    To me they are pretty oud scents, more on the feminine comforting side (MFK oud). Not bad scents at all but not something I would purchase for the moment.
    I got a sample of MFK oud but I kinda forgot about Amber Oud from last time I sampled it, maybe a bit more unisex but similar vibe?
    Which one do you prefer by the way if you had to choose?
    Need to resample the ByKilian's ..

And yes Agaraura's mukhallats are very interesting, I haven't tested the new ones yet but I'm sure they are too.

Royal oud didn't do it for me, but I have a sample somewhere maybe it'll be different this time.

Post Thanks / Like

This is disappointing to hear - I was looking forward to trying these. Maybe my skin will have better results...

For those that didn't care for Amber Oud, how do you think it stacks up against Kilian's Pure Oud, Rose Rose, and Incense Oud? Incense Oud doesn't have any oud, but it's a favored incense fragrance of mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    This is disappointing to hear - I was looking forward to trying these. Maybe my skin will have better results...

For those that didn't care for Amber Oud, how do you think it stacks up against Kilian's Pure Oud, Rose Rose, and Incense Oud? Incense Oud doesn't have any oud, but it's a favored incense fragrance of mine.
    I like Amber Oud, and I think it is as good as the others. Rose Oud is the only one that was compelling enough for me to want to own because I like rose. I like all the others but don't feel the need to buy.

Musk Oud is yet to be released from BK, wonder what that'll be like. I hope it's got rose in it too....

EDIT: If you like Incense Oud, you should check out Agaraura's Idaina Dento.
    Last edited by Dorje123; 20th March 2012 at 02:03 AM.

I tried MFK Oud today. Pass.

Amber Oud didn't really excite me either. Started off smelling just like Pure Oud, then turned into a mediocre amber, and ended as straight spiced vanilla.

Post Thanks / Like

Amber Oud is very nice. Top in its genre ? No. Groundbreaking ?No.
    Expertly blend and high quality? Yes. Suitable for those seeking a good all round perfume?

Amber Oud reminds me of 34 Boulevard Saint Germain in the sense that no particular note or accord juts out. It's a medley of several accords resulting in a perfumey perfume. A lot of people said it smelled like nothing, or so ad so note wasn't as prominent. Well it wasn't made to be SoliNote (in the manner Philosykos is Fig and Eau Lenten is cinnamon/cloves) type of fragrance. It was made to be a perfume to be worn when you want to smell good smells.

This analysis applies to Amber Oud. There is plenty of amber and Oud in Amber Oud as the title suggests.

If one is seeking an amber prominent or oud prominent perfume, there are several.

I doubt I'll buy it though. In this period of my life I am not attached to this particular accord, no matter how good it smells.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Is the problem with the MFK that it's not a good fragrance or is it that having Oud in the name set an expectation that wasn't fulfilled (or both)?

Post Thanks / Like

Duplicate.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 20th March 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Is the problem with the MFK that it's not a good fragrance or is it that having Oud in the name set an expectation that wasn't fulfilled (or both)?
    It's not a bad fragrance, but it doesn't excite me. For the price, I don't want a functional fragrance, I want an exciting fragrance.
    Having oud in the name does set an expectation. I don't mind the existence of aqua universalis, but a dark bottle with oud in the name promises something it doesn't deliver. If it was named aqua oud, or oud without oud, or airwood or something it would be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Perhaps the former but doubtfully the latter. The former is subjective of course but the latter is objective. Oud is clearly present in AO and is on par with Pure Oud in terms of quality.

Edit:
    Just realized you were referring to the MFK Oud.
    Thought you were discussing the by Kilian Oud.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

On me...amber oud comes off as watered down amber...very bland and weak.....pure oud on the other hand is a power house of oud...closest fragrance to what the actual oil actual oil smells like. Mfk oud is disappointing for both aspects...in terms of finding oud and quality. Both of these frags I would not even consider paying 50 dollars for....no way

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of amber and oud, and I liked Amber Oud, the two notes have been well blended as has been said above. I wouldn't buy it, though, no By Kilian has wowed me yet. I found Rose Oud very similar to most other rose/oud fragrances out there. Come on, tar and feather me now. Incense Oud I found nice too.
    I don't expect much from Kurkie's oud, but at least there is a fair-priced way of sampling it now, through their sample set.
    Creed's Royal Oud is a nice cedar fragrance, and it has some oud in its title...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like MFK's Oud, it's bland, it's quite weak, it's something i've smelled before with very low sillage and longevity. If this is "high quality oud" he can keep it. I don't care about how good is the oud used, or what ingredients are being used in the fragrance, I just want a good result, a good fragrance that works. Sadly, MFK's Oud doesn't work for me, and it's pricetag is quite high. For me, APLS and APOM are this house's jewels and, yes, I think FK was a bit rushed to get in the oud bandwagon.

Amber Oud is no something i'd buy either. For me it start with something like Leather Oud (but with amber where there was leather in the Dior), is not bad but I don't like it. In the drydown i can't help but feel like i'm wearing some kind of flanker of Chergui. Not bad, but not great. I'd like to try a good amber/oud combo as I love amber.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like Amber Oud. I think it's more of a skin scent that last all day. Something I would wear on a Romantic date when I anticipate some close interaction. I really believe that this is the scenario it was meant for this fragrance. Not, your bar wearing scent to get noticed for the first time. But more a scent that once you have met that person, you are meaning to get close to embrace the experience. However, if you are looking for a scent that leaves a wake as you walk through a room, there are others for that purpose (Homage, Tribute, Black Aoud). I don't own Pure Oud but I would consider it on this class also.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Post Thanks / Like

From what I understand, you can order the 50mls refill of Amber Oud from Europe for about $160 shipped to you.

Someone mentioned Leather Oud by Dior. I just got a 25mls decant and I think it's amazing also. It goes to prove that eveyone gets a different experience from a fragrance. I get the leather that settles into a nice musk (Civet) on my skin. It was not until after I kept thinking that I smelled the Civet, that I found out it was an actual ingredient. If you don't like Leather Oud and want to get rid of it at a good price, I am all ears.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Post Thanks / Like

I like Amber Oud for all the reasons most people don't like it. Pure Oud was waaaay to strong for me. Amber Absolute and Amber Sultan are waaaay to much amber for me. The subtlety of the Oud and Amber in Amber Oud smells great to me, pair it with the vanilla in there and the drydown is an nice smooth Amber/vanilla blend.

I wouldnt classify Amber Oud as an Amber or an Oud frag but rather a vanilla gourmand with a touch of amber and oud.

Based on its name and cousins Pure Oud and Incense Oud I can see how people can get disappointed with this frag. But that's why you should sample everything!