Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Question Civet (plus a few other notes)—modern versions?

I'm finding that civet/clary sage/ tarragon is a most favored note combo for me, and so far I am only smelling this in vintage. Are there any in-production frags that have these notes, especially the civet? Is there a synthetic civet? Educate me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: Civet (plus a few other notes)—modern versions?

You should look into Mouchoir de Monsieur, if you haven't - the current is still good. Civetone is of the synthetic kind today, but I am no expert.

Regrettably civety florals are pretty much out of fashion. Amouage Gold man is a civet bomb, a huge incensy floral with tons of it. Dior Jules has plenty of clary sage as well, but I've seen it sold only in France, I'm not sure it's available in the US. Joy is the prototypical jasmine-civet floral, but I have not smelled it post-IFRA - if the jasmine is gone, so is the civet.

cacio

queen of the universe

Thanks. If it's any help, the fragrance that I can't get enough of is vintage Antilope EdT and PdT. Fortunately I have about 5 or 6 ounces of the Antilope. I also suspect I will move to something greener or more tropical for the warmer weather. The civet there is a very light but noticeable touch. My Sin Eau de Lanvin is another, it has a similar "lotiony" finish with more civet. And, of course, there is Miss Dior vintage.

I will have to sample Mouchoir de Monsieur and the others; cacio. Time to poke about the masculines

Leather Oud has plenty of civet in it.
    A lovely fecal note.

for swap/sale:

queen of the universe

hedonist, this sounds good. I love leather, too, and am just starting in on Dior.

I second Miss Dior and My Sin, and then remembered: only in the vintage. Which is no help! I find a teeny bit of civety-ness in new Joy, but it is a poor tame fat house cat compared to the vintage. Again with the vintage. Oh, mourn the old nasty scents! I am not helping it seems...but like you, I love these notes and can't wait to see what others might recommend in a modern scent.

Popping civet into the advanced search yields 71 frags most of which are still in production. From Al Oudh to Spellbound and Occur! So something for everyone. A couple of Neil Morris's as well as the Artisan. Petroleum is in there too

jujy:

indeed, Mouchoir is supposed to be Jicky with more civet (though with all the reformulations is never clear who has more of what).

Somehow, civet seems to have survived more in a few masculines, at least those that have escaped the sanitizing effect of azure sporty materials. It is now assumed that women must smell of canned fruit, witness the recent defacement of Miss Dior, which, having been reformulated beyond recognition, has now been finally killed and substituted with the Cherie syrup. That said, Gold man seems perfect for women. Jules would probably be a stretch: Kouros it is not, but still, it's not shy either.

Funny you mentioned My sin - I was about to cite it too. I'm not a big fan of the top (I feel much more for Joy), but the drydown is wonderful.

cacio

queen of the universe

Yes, My Sin's drydown is sublime. If you like that you will love Antilope, and I'll gladly send you a sample if you pm me an address.

Another one is Eau des Iles by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier.

for swap/sale:

SLF by Love Potions Magickal Perfumary. Contains (synthetic) civet and copulins.

queen of the universe

Copulins! Interrrrresting chemical name....

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    I'm finding that civet/clary sage/ tarragon is a most favored note combo for me, and so far I am only smelling this in vintage. Are there any in-production frags that have these notes, especially the civet? Is there a synthetic civet? Educate me.
    All civet used nowadays is synthetic! It is mainly a mixture of indole and skatole as far as I know.
    I think Guerlain Samsara has some civet. Also Must by Cartier.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    hedonist, this sounds good. I love leather, too, and am just starting in on Dior.
    What about Cuir de Russie by Chanel? Leather + flowery civet.

I get a nice civet experience from Chanel no. 5 in the pure parfum version - my bottle is about 4 to 5 years old. I have also recently sampled Amouage Gold for Women and was happily surprised at the civet undertones. These may be too aldehydic for you but there you have my two cents.
    What about the current Jicky? The pdt from the 80's that I have is quite "squirelly" with civet, but that is the only version I have ever experienced. It knocked my socks off when I first tried it.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by DieNase View Post
    All civet used nowadays is synthetic! It is mainly a mixture of indole and skatole as far as I know.
    I think Guerlain Samsara has some civet. Also Must by Cartier.
    Not quite all current fragrances use synthetic civet - though all of mine certainly do - so too do the huge majority of mass-market fragrances. If you want to smell the real stuff you can still get it from some suppliers such as this one, who also happens to be a basenoter. Personally I have an ethical difficulty with real civet so I don’t use it, but it isn’t illegal in most countries, has not been prohibited by IFRA and certainly can still be used.

There are synthetic civet blends offered by the major manufacturers - the one I use is from Givaudan - but the key ingredient isn’t indole or skatole but civetone, which besides having it’s own strong smell is also a very effective fixative. Synthetic civet is a very good replacement with a near identical smell and containing the very same molecule (civetone) that the civet itself makes.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    What about the current Jicky? The pdt from the 80's that I have is quite "squirelly" with civet, but that is the only version I have ever experienced. It knocked my socks off when I first tried it.
    Strangely enough, today it seems the current extrait is 'skankier' (civet) than the current EdP. The latter I have come to love (once I had accepted the fact it had practically no civet in it or it is so well blended that I can't detect it - mind you, I have a high tolerance level for animalics until I perceive them as 'outrageous') now. It is the most exquisite lavender, smoky vanilla mix with a naughty, dirty vibe of both ( I think I can detect the 'dash of birch tar' added that Turin or Dove refers to). Lavender rocks! Always liked it, but it's becoming one big wardrobe theme of mine!

I never thought anyone was as into civet as I am. I especially love civet and leather together, take BAV for example, soooo in love. I guess I am just into animalic notes a lot but I too think civet is mostly in vintage but not always, Le Labo tends to put quite a bit of animalic notes in their fumes but Iris 39 which has quite a bit of civet is not a green civet fume but a floral fragrance with civet like Diorissimo too.

I forgot to say what a great thread and so happy that you have started it jujy54! Jicky sound like something I would fall head over heels for but where to get it? I am a huge fan of lavender as well.

queen of the universe

double post!
    Last edited by jujy54; 26th March 2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: hiccup

queen of the universe

OVinvcze. How sweet of your to say. I haven't done the niche thing yet, and Le Labo has intrigued me; it is a plus that they offer affordable ways to sample, too.

As to skank, I once layered Kouros over Shalimar; if I could name it it would Long Weekend in Bed. Or, maybe Lost Weekend in Bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Strangely enough, today it seems the current extrait is 'skankier' (civet) than the current EdP. The latter I have come to love (once I had accepted the fact it had practically no civet in it or it is so well blended that I can't detect it - mind you, I have a high tolerance level for animalics until I perceive them as 'outrageous') now. It is the most exquisite lavender, smoky vanilla mix with a naughty, dirty vibe of both ( I think I can detect the 'dash of birch tar' added that Turin or Dove refers to). Lavender rocks! Always liked it, but it's becoming one big wardrobe theme of mine!
    When I fist tried the (current) Jicky EdP it took my breath away as I have - or used to have - a very LOW tolerance level. In the beginning it really produced nausea for me, like a very strong bad breath. Wasn't able to smell anything else besides it (when smelling up close). Now I'm getting used to it. I have a decant of the slightly milder EdT and even use it at times.