Code of Conduct

Thread: By Kilian

Default By Kilian

What do you think about By Kilian scents? They are rather expensive so are they worth that?
    Hermeessence collection is transparent, Tom Ford - steroidic with warm drydown. What about By Kilian scents?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: By Kilian

I haven't tried nearly the whole line, but in the ones I have, there isn't an underlying theme connecting them. Perhaps someone that has tried most or all, sees a connection they could share. I was very close quite a while ago, to pulling the trigger on Straight to Heaven, but chose against it eventually. I think it's a fantastic scent, but US225 ( this was before the travel set came out) is a little above my pain threshold. I think they are clearly quality scents, and all deserve to be tried. Whether or not they're worth it is completely subjective and up to the wearer.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 11th September 2009 at 05:05 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I tried a few of there scents and bought a sample pack of straight to heaven. I gave straight to heaven a good review at first but changed it, the patchouli is to much for me. I would judge on a frag by frag basis. In my opinion they are a quality house. I can't quote the source but have read they use quality natural ingredients in line with other houses at this high level.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

I've only tried Beyond Love. It's quite good and enjoyable, but not quite as good as the similar-but-better Fracas in my opinion. If someone gave me a bottle I'd wear it, but I'm not going to search it out at those prices.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 11th September 2009 at 06:45 PM.

i have sampled Cruel Intentions (my favorite), A Taste of Heaven and Straight to Heaven - all are top of the line releases..the price, well, now we have their travel size available!

I absolutely love STH, great rum note to a warm buttery cedar and patchouli, and patchouli, and patchouli, which is almost a little much as it's longevity is like 15+ hours on my skin. But no matter how much I love it, there's no way I can afford a bottle of it

Basenotes Institution

I have tried Love, Beyond Love and Dangerous Liasons -. I eventually bought a full bottle of Beyond Love and a refill because I love this tuberose soliflore so much. I know the 'kit' is expensive but really, the perfumes are very good quality , are very long lasting .You can definitely smell the quality .Also from a practical and environmental standpoint- the bottle can be refilled. The bottle is exceptional quality - even the cap is heavy in the hand . I mean they are well made items . The whole packaging is very very good quality.
    I am impressed.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have tried STH, Cruel Intention and Danger L. STH is a must have Cruel Intention is good but not BW to me although i have received a compliment when wearing it.

I've tried the whole line except Back to black and they are quite good and varied. The most enjoyable to my nose are Straight to Heaven (rum, cedar and pacthouli) and Taste of Heaven (lavander, wormswood and vanilla). Although I do think they are ridiculously over-priced (pure oud sells for $395 I'll pass thanks!). Unless you need the fancy packaging the atomizer refills are the way to go and it brings price down to a more tolerable level.

I've heard good things about Back to Black.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I forgot - I have also tested Back to Black - excellent scent and again long lasting like all the By Kilians. A smooth spicy honeyish tobacco - very unisex and warm .

I know this will sound kind of obvious. But the word I would use to describe them is : "Luxurious" !
    I have tried the whole line and did not dislike any of them. Each one had something gorgeous and delicious about them. I think they are all very accomplished brilliant compositions !
    The two I thought superior (or rather, that I thought suited my tastes the best) were : ... "Straight to Heaven" (Heavenly "Rum-my" Patchouli !) ... and ... "Cruel Intentions" (Agarwood-y Vetiver Gorgeousness !). ... (But I would easily wear a few more of them )
    So yeah, they are a little pricy ... BUT ... The excellence of their superior natural ingredients is immediately apparent. They last on the skin for ages and ages. And you get the lovely bottle and stunning lacquered box. (And once you have that, the refills are actually quite reasonable, considering their higher Quality !)
    So yeah ! I think they are well worth it, for sure !!! ...
    (Except perhaps his latest, much more expensive, Oud wood one. Though I have actually not yet tried that one. But I do think he is perhaps kinda pushing it a little too far with that one's price. ... And therefore I just really hope I do not end up falling for that one too. For I really do not think I will ever be able to justify spending quite that much on a scent. No matter how gorgeous it is )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Sybarite- I totally agree with you . Luxurious is the right word as is Quality with a capital Q .Much better than S L bottles and the like - kind of harks back to when bottles and perfume boxes were made very well .........

Great fragrance line if you ask me, not worth the price, but very refreshing to see high quality fragrances being released these days amid the synthetic chemical bombs we're so used to.

My faves are Love, Straight to Heaven and A Taste of Heaven

By the way guys, I have found an excellent online store, which are offering their Kilian's with a fantastic 25% off discount. (Including their latest Oud one too ! ... That would mean you can get it for "a mere" £195. ... And a "normal one" for only £105 !) ~ Now aint that an excellent deal, huh ??!! ...

This is probably a better deal if you are actually in the UK though. As I do not know quite how much they charge for international delivery ??? (But it should be worth it anyway !) ... I also do not know how long the offer will be available for ???

But now, if I tell ya, and you go get yourself one. It's only fair that you send me a little d*cant as a "Thank You", now wouldn't you say ??

The place is : http://www.savoir-faire.com/fcp/prod...-By-Kilian/759

(Unfortunately they do not have the whole line available though . Still ..... )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 02:00 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Sybarite- I had a look - b****y hell - the Pure Oud is expensive ! Nice packaging though. I admit - if my Beyond Love cost that amount- I would think many many times before parting with the cash .
    it's nearly double the normal price but the 25 % offer is sweet for those in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Sybarite- I had a look - b****y hell - the Pure Oud is expensive ! Nice packaging though. I admit - if my Beyond Love cost that amount- I would think many many times before parting with the cash .
    it's nearly double the normal price but the 25 % offer is sweet for those in the UK.
    Isn't it just total madness !? ...
    I was the same with my "Straight to Heaven". It really hurt parting with that much cash . But I have never regretted it since. And I totally adore my little lacquered box. It is just a total pleasure getting it out the box to "spritz". A pleasure I just do not get from any of my other bottles. So it was well worth every cent (every scent? ) !!! ...

I only wish I had found the "25% off deal" before I did fork out for my other one ! Unfortunately I came upon it far too late

Basenotes Institution

Me too- I adore..... j'adore my black lacquered box, key, well made heavy bottle and cap - we should start a By Kilian Fan club ! I enabled myself by saying it was environmentally friendly too ! No throwing bottles away ....

Me too- I adore..... j'adore my black lacquered box, key, well made heavy bottle and cap - we should start a By Kilian Fan club ! I enabled myself by saying it was environmentally friendly too ! No throwing bottles away ....
    Exactly ! ... It was my concern for the environment that made me do it ! (LOL) ... No, but seriously, I do think that is actually another of it's (many) good points !

And isn't that little key just sooo gorgeous !!! ... And the bottle is wonderfully manufactured. It's brilliantly designed all round. ... I really think other houses should "take a page from his book", and take just as good care of their releases !

I will gladly join a Kilian Fan club with you ! ...
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 03:04 AM.

If you enjoy the Lavender underscored by Vanilla of 'Caron Pour Homme' then you may enjoy By Kilian 'Taste of Heaven'. I certainly do. As has been mentioned here it has a luxe, dressed up vibe, definitely more of an evening thing IMO, and it stays pretty consistent for the ride (which is hours and hours).

I think it would be fair to say that 'Taste of Heaven' does for Lavender what 'Coromandel' does for Patchouli - puts it in a tuxe (or evening gown?) and takes it to a party.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If you enjoy the Lavender underscored by Vanilla of 'Caron Pour Homme' then you may enjoy By Kilian 'Taste of Heaven'. I certainly do. As has been mentioned here it has a luxe, dressed up vibe, definitely more of an evening thing IMO, and it stays pretty consistent for the ride (which is hours and hours).

I think it would be fair to say that 'Taste of Heaven' does for Lavender what 'Coromandel' does for Patchouli - puts it in a tuxe (or evening gown?) and takes it to a party.
    You are absolutely correct ! ... I totally agree with you. ... And your comparison to Caron pour on Homme is spot on. ... Though oddly enough, I was never that much of a fan of PuH, and that being mostly because I am not a fan of strong lavender. I think I just overdosed on it or something.
    BUT ... I do luv "Taste of Heaven" and that Lavender note in it lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts ... and then some . ... But it's such an excellent Lavender that it did not bother me at all. It's Lavender done right !!! (Even though it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb really, at first ). Yet it's still such a wonderful composition !
    (I really don't quite understand why it does not bother me here in ToH , it's quite a mystery to me ???)

I have tried the whole line. My favorites are Straight to Heaven (I own the travel pack), Cruel Intentions (I have a full bottle, signed by KH), and Love. For Love I bought a bunch of samples and put them in an atomizer, so I have my own personal mini.

I am not sure about the Pure Oud. I have a couple of small samples, but I would not pay that kind of money, and in any way, although it is nice, it did not wow me. Back to Black is more to my liking, but again, I have to sample some more.

I have found with the Kilians, that even the ones I adore, were not easy to like at first, I fell in love with them slowly. The others are very nice (Beyond Love, Dangerous Liaisons). My least favorites are a Taste of Heaven, not because it is a bad scent, but because I am not into lavender and Prelude to Love, because I think I have better citrus fragrances at a more moderate price.

Anyway, I like the line in general, but I don't find that they share any elements in the base or in style, like other houses. What they share is the good quality.

By the way, Mr. Kilian Henessy is very pleasant to talk to.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 12th September 2009 at 05:20 AM.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post

Arwen !!! You can't just say that and not tell us anything else- he is quite attractive, Mr. Kilian Hennessy . Spill the beans ,girl !
    Sybarite - you and I have been through the whole swooning over the By Kilian's.
    Honestly, I am quite particular about aesthetics of the bottles and boxes- By Kilians' are some of the best of the modern bottles - along with Guerlain's re issued Vol de Nuit propeller bottle.
    Also Sybarite- now you and Mr. Reasonable have got me thinking about Taste of Heaven - Lavender in a tuxe /evening gown ?!! I will try this ! I love Jicky and lavender .....shoot ... I can feel another lemming coming aong.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th September 2009 at 06:41 AM.

Arwen !!! You can't just say that and not tell us anything else- he is quite attractive, Mr. Kilian Hennessy . Spill the beans ,girl !
    Sybarite - you and I have been through the whole swooning over the By Kilian's.
    Honestly, I am quite particular about aesthetics of the bottles and boxes- By Kilians' are some of the best of the modern bottles - along with Guerlain's re issued Vol de Nuit propeller bottle.
    You know "Mysticknot" the more I hear the more I hear how often we are "thought-twins". We seem to be agreeing on quite a lot lately. (My Avatar just before this one, was the Guerlain "Vol de Nuit". And itis still one of my favourite bottles of all time ! Propeller Bottle" : So, yet another thing ! ) ...

And I am liking this ! ... (Trust me to find a potential "soul-mate" , and they land up being on the other side of the world (*sigh*!).
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 06:47 AM.

I have tried the whole line. My favorites are Straight to Heaven (I own the travel pack), Cruel Intentions (I have a full bottle, signed by KH), and Love. For Love I bought a bunch of samples and put them in an atomizer, so I have my own personal mini.

I am not sure about the Pure Oud. I have a couple of small samples, but I would not pay that kind of money, and in any way, although it is nice, it did not wow me. Back to Black is more to my liking, but again, I have to sample some more.

I have found with the Kilians, that even the ones I adore, were not easy to like at first, I fell in love with them slowly. The others are very nice (Beyond Love, Dangerous Liaisons). My least favorites are a Taste of Heaven, not because it is a bad scent, but because I am not into lavender and Prelude to Love, because I think I have better citrus fragrances at a more moderate price.

Anyway, I like the line in general, but I don't find that they share any elements in the base or in style, like other houses. What they share is the good quality.

I see we seem to have pretty much the same thoughts and fave's from out the Kilian's.
    I had actually forgotten about "Love". It is probably also my third loved one. It really is quite delicious !

Unfortunately I have not yet sampled "Pure Oud" (or Back to Black), but am "dying to" ! ... And even after finding this 25% off offer on it. There is still just absolutely no way I can go for another bottle . At still double the price, I would never forgive myself !). ... Though I would probably kill to own one of each of his scents ! (How greedy is that ! (LOL) )

And ... It's real nice to hear that Monsieur Henessey is a nice chap ! ... (Nice, filthy rich, talented and a "dish" ~ Some people have all the damned luck (LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 07:00 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Hey Sybarite- well we have even more in common! I used to live in England - I lived in England for a very long time ,mate ! I know the UK like the back of my hand !
    We DO have a lot in common.
    I also love Vol De Nuit and the propeller bottle !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th September 2009 at 06:55 AM.

Hey Sybarite- well we have even more in common! I used to live in England - I lived in England for a very long time ,mate ! I know the UK like the back of my hand !
    We DO have a lot in common.
    I also love Vol De Nuit and the propeller bottle !

Cool ! ... Where did you live when you were out here ???

And sorry, everyone, for derailing this thread ! (I will try behave from now on ! )

Basenotes Institution

I lived in the Midlands , Kent, Surrey and London ,also Raynes Park ,outside of Wimbledon ! London, I lived there for 16 years ! Sainsbury's on the Cromwell Road ...ah! how I miss it ! When I went back in May - I was very happy eating my marmalade or marmite on toast with my tea ( Twinings Lapsong Suchong - can't get it here ) in the morning !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th September 2009 at 08:05 AM.

Monsier Hennessy came to Southern California a couple of times last year to the Beverly Hills and South Coast Plaza Saks Fifth Avenue stores. I missed him one time, but I know of at least another Basenoter who met him, bought a perfume and had his box and perfume signed by him.

I went to South Coast Plaza last November, after Prelude to Love was launched. He was behind the counter selling perfume. We talked for a few minutes. He wears Straight to Heaven and his wife wears Love. As I was undecided about which perfume to get, he said that I should take my time and chose the one that touched my soul. I chose Cruel Intentions. He asked me if I wanted him to sign my perfume. I found him very charming. He was wearing jeans, a white shirt and a black blazer. Talk about good customer service!!
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Monsier Hennessy came to Southern California a couple of times last year to the Beverly Hills and South Coast Plaza Saks Fifth Avenue stores. I missed him one time, but I know of at least another Basenoter who met him, bought a perfume and had his box and perfume signed by him.

I went to South Coast Plaza last November, after Prelude to Love was launched. He was behind the counter selling perfume. We talked for a few minutes. He wears Straight to Heaven and his wife wears Love. As I was undecided about which perfume to get, he said that I should take my time and chose the one that touched my soul. I chose Cruel Intentions. He asked me if I wanted him to sign my perfume. I found him very charming. He was wearing jeans, a white shirt and a black blazer. Talk about good customer service!!
    Thanks for sharing that Arwen ! Sounds wonderful. Perfumers are like rock stars to me.

The same seller will sell these Kilians on UK ebay for much lower price - if you check their feedback they recently sold Pure Oud for £160 (that's £100 less than the retail price!) and the other ones for £92..and would probably go even lower. Shows how overpriced the whole line is.. mix $10 worth of essential oils with alcohol, add the super fancy packaging and charge $300-400 for the...gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    By the way guys, I have found an excellent online store, which are offering their Kilian's with a fantastic 25% off discount. (Including their latest Oud one too ! ... That would mean you can get it for "a mere" £195. ... And a "normal one" for only £105 !) ~ Now aint that an excellent deal, huh ??!! ...

This is probably a better deal if you are actually in the UK though. As I do not know quite how much they charge for international delivery ??? (But it should be worth it anyway !) ... I also do not know how long the offer will be available for ???

But now, if I tell ya, and you go get yourself one. It's only fair that you send me a little d*cant as a "Thank You", now wouldn't you say ??

The place is : http://www.savoir-faire.com/fcp/prod...-By-Kilian/759

(Unfortunately they do not have the whole line available though . Still ..... )
    Last edited by phibess; 12th September 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Basenotes Institution

phibess- thank you for sharing that info with us. How dishonest of the seller to do that. We don't know how the product may be tampered with though. The By Kilian bottles unscrew quite well !

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    The same seller will sell these Kilians on UK ebay for much lower price - if you check their feedback they recently sold Pure Oud for £160 (that's £100 less than the retail price!) and the other ones for £92..and would probably go even lower. Shows how overpriced the whole line is.. mix $10 worth of essential oils with alcohol, add the super fancy packaging and charge $300-400 for the...gimmicks.

And how do you know this exactly ??? ... I have just gone and checked their feedback as you mentioned, and their is no info available to be seen ???

You see, let me tell you why I am a little sceptical of your statements. This vendor (or a vendor who happens to have the same name on eBay ???) has not sold anything on eBay since the 9 FEB 09, according to their profile . That is almost six months ago. And "Pure Oud" was not released until way after that time ??? .... (So can you understand why I am so suspicious ???

Are you saying that she sold Pure Oud on eBay before they were even launched ???
    (As for the other earlier sales of the earlier Kilian's, that is probably a possibility ??? But I would like to know please how you got your info ???? ....

EDIT :

P.S. ... The lady that owns the company "Savoir-Faire" is a completely trustworthy and very well respected philanthropist. And she also happens to be areal princess by the name of : Princess Kasia Al Thani .
    "Google" her and you will see !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 04:25 PM.

phibess- thank you for sharing that info with us. How dishonest of the seller to do that. We don't know how the product may be tampered with though. The By Kilian bottles unscrew quite well !
    Careful "Mysticknot" ... As they say, don't believe everything you read on the net ! (Way toooo much misinformation, on this "missinformation highway" of ours !

(I'm afraid I need a little more proof from Mr. "Phibess", before I can believe his statements. ... Whereas, on the other hand, I completely trust the people behind "Savoire-Faire").

And how do you know this exactly ??? ... I have just gone and checked their feedback as you mentioned, and their is no info available to be seen ???

You see, let me tell you why I am a little sceptical of your statements. This vendor (or a vendor who happens to have the same name on eBay ???) has not sold anything on eBay since the 9 FEB 09, according to their profile . That is almost six months ago. And "Pure Oud" was not released until way after that time ??? .... (So can you understand why I am so suspicious ???

Are you saying that she sold Pure Oud on eBay before they were even launched ???
    (As for the other earlier sales of the earlier Kilian's, that is probably a possibility ??? But I would like to know please how you got your info ???? ....

EDIT :

P.S. ... The lady that owns the company "Savoir-Faire" is a completely trustworthy and very well respected philanthropist. And she also happens to be areal princess by the name of : Princess Kasia Al Thani .
    "Google" her and you will see !
    Sybarite - then read again http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...k&myworld=true and check the feedback left for PO on 09 Sept.

And yes, it's the same seller as your Princes Kasia, have a look at their other products.

However, I'm in no way saying they're not trustworthy or - mysticknot - that the seller tampered with the juice, I doubt they would dare to do that. Simply stated the facts about the prices for which they were willing to sell these Kilians..
    As for the scents, I like STH and Pure Oud. On the other hand, I wouldn't pay even half the price for PO, esp. when for similar price you can get some high quality pure oud/oil.

Sybarite - then read again http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...k&myworld=true and check the feedback left for PO on 09 Sept.

And yes, it's the same seller as your Princes Kasia, have a look at their other products.

However, I'm in no way saying they're not trustworthy or - mysticknot - that the seller tampered with the juice, I doubt they would dare to do that. Simply stated the facts about the prices for which they were willing to sell these Kilians..
    As for the scents, I like STH and Pure Oud. On the other hand, I wouldn't pay even half the price for PO, esp. when for similar price you can get some high quality pure oud/oil.
    Thank you very much for that "Phibess" ! ... I was looking under "Savoir-Faire" on eBay, which is their account. And was not aware that you meant another different account = "pure_luxuryculture" . They could very well be "one and the same" , however I have no proof of that ??? ...
    The only Kilian's I've found available at the above store you mention have been available only for the average RRP £148 (incl. delivery). ... (I obviously missed out on that Pure Oud that sold on the 9 SEP, unfortunately ). Not that I would pay £160 for "Pure Oud" either ! ...
    Though I did pay £110 for my Kilian. Which is only about 20 or 30 pounds more than some other niches I have paid for in the past (and will again probably in future). And I think that is a perfectly reasonable extra price to pay for a beautifully quality made bottle/box/key, that will last me pretty much forever probably. "Straight to Heaven's" longevity on my skin also surpasses any other I have. The superior quality of it's natural ingredients is immediately self evident. ... Not an easy thing to achieve with a majority (if not all ?) natural content !).

However, as I mentioned in my first post. I do agree that Pure Oud is far too expensive. And that they are charging far too much for that one. ... But then there is a trend for "exclusivity" and "luxury", the demand for which has never been higher. He is just trying to supply that demand ! (If I was lucky enough to have loads of money, I would not even think twice. As is often the case with people with too much money . ... Lets face it, us "poor people" aren't exactly their target market ! ).
    But of course it is also perfectly acceptable, as is the norm, to charge more for an exclusive limited edition fragrance. Especially when it uses the very best quality natural Agarwood extract. As opposed to some or other cheap synthetic substitute).
    And of course, it also makes total sense that when purchased in bulk, as you are able to do when you have a business. Of course one will be able to get products for much cheaper, leaving room for profit. That is just the way the world works, I'm afraid.
    Kilian's other fragrances are actually not that expensive when you factor the superior quality of their ingredients, the much superior quality and manufacture of their bottles and beautifully expensively made packaging. They are good quality ! (Of course that will push up their prices ! As well they should !). When compared to the prices of other niche releases (without those "extras", they are more or less in line price wise. Yet you actually get much less with these other niche lines for roughly the same amount of money. And yet these other niche lines never get any slack for being far too expensive ??? ~ (Or not as much "slack" as I have seen Kilian getting here, anyway!). ...
    We all know that perfumes have one of the largest profit margins of just about any "luxury" product ! ... But also remember we are not just paying for "a few essential oil in alcohol" as you mention. We are also paying for the artistry and skill of the perfumer as well ! (Believe me I have smelled many a perfume of "just a few essential oils chucked in alcohol", and they really do smell utter crap, I'm afraid !). You really need expensive excellent quality oils and skill before they are anywhere near good enough. (And yes their profit margin is quite huge. But that is the same thing as with any perfume ! ... They all have huge mark-ups. Especially the more synthetic ones.)
    I just don't understand why Kilian is the only one who seems to get ragged for this ??? ~ When all he has done is given us a better quality beautifully made product that you only need to pay once for. (And of course that will cost a little more than other niche releases who have not done so). When you next pay for a Kilian refill the prices of those refills are totally in line with other niche releases (if not cheaper if you factor the superior quality of their natural ingredients). ... When you still need to keep paying for countless other useless bottles with the other expensive niche lines, every time you need a "refill".

I don't particularly think he is "ripping anyone off", any more so than is any other niche perfume house. (In fact, non-niche perfumes that use absolutely rubbish-y dirt cheap synthetic aroma chemicals (or even some niche ones), and still put on a huge profit margin, are actually much more of a "rip-off", I would think. Yet we pay for them and never complain or accuse them of being "rip offs" or "gimmicks". For their perfumes really cost absolutely nothing to manufacture. And just look how much they still charge for them. ... They never get any slack for the rubbish they put out for a far higher profit margin!)

And ... P.S. : (Just by the way, she is not "my princess". Though she is a real princess in her own country !)
    If the above store is the same store as her's, she is probably just selling off some of her products at closer to cost to her. We also know that often with eBay auctions some products actually land up selling for even less than what they are worth. They just make up their money on other items that happen to go for more.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 08:25 PM.

That person was me, back in August 2008. And let me tell you the story of how I ran into the line and how I met Kilian.

To be honest, I had heard about the By Kilian line prior to that event, thanks to Basenotes and other means. I first saw the line in person at Bergdorf's in NYC earlier that year, but I had tested some Annick Goutals that day, so I couldn't test the line.

As part of a trip to Disneyland, among other places (don't laugh... you're never too old for the mouse), I went out to Southern California in August 2008. I realized while on the trip that the black plastic case on my all-important MacBook was starting to warp, and it had to go to the Apple Store for repairs. South Coast was the first one with an opening, even though Brea Mall was closer to where I was staying, so I went there.

While waiting for my MacBook to be fixed at the Apple Store, I went to Bloomingdale's to test the (then-exclusive) Cartier Roadster. I came out unimpressed, and then I had to go to Saks to see if they had Dsquared2's He Wood in yet. They said "no", but I saw a spot where they had some pre-release testers of the By Kilian line. I tried on A Taste of Heaven and thought it was OK, but the SA said "Come back during the official launch. Kilian himself will be there, and there's two more scents that you will love." Since Straight to Heaven wasn't there, and there were some raves on Basenotes about it, my mission was simple: come back.

Anyway: I came back. I chatted with Kilian (my transcript is available here). I was the first customer that day. I tried Straight to Heaven and fell in love with it. And I got my lacquered box signed by him with "I hope this fragrance will open a thousand doors in your memory and take you "straight to heaven". -Kilian"

And the juice is amazing. I have gotten more compliments on it than any other fragrance in my wardrobe. And if it wasn't for a broken MacBook and an overflow at the Brea Mall Genius Bar as opposed to the South Coast Plaza one, I probably wouldn't have ever sniffed it.

BTW, I wonder if the By Kilian scents are available at the Naptown (that's Indianapolis for you non-Hoosiers) Saks yet... I really hope to smell the new ones.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 12th September 2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Sybarite, thanks for the post, I agree with most of what you've written above although.. I don't think that Kilian is the only brand that 'gets the slack' here for being expensive - Creed takes the cake imo.. I still think that £140 for 50ml is way too much - I tend to think of what I can get for that kind of money - Chanel Paris exclusive parfums, vintage Tabac Blond extrait..you name it.. Prices similar to Malles or Lutens frags would be more realistic imo. As for Pure Oud, I doubt they used 'the very best' quality agarwood in this (e.g. Thaqeel costs approx. $3700/tola)

Thank you very much for that "Phibess" ! ... I was looking under "Savoir-Faire" on eBay, which is their account. And was not aware that you meant another different account = "pure_luxuryculture" . They could very well be "one and the same" , however I have no proof of that ??? ...
    The only Kilian's I've found available at the above store you mention have been available only for the average RRP £148 (incl. delivery). ... (I obviously missed out on that Pure Oud that sold on the 9 SEP, unfortunately ). Not that I would pay £160 for "Pure Oud" either ! ...
    Though I did pay £110 for my Kilian. Which is only about 20 or 30 pounds more than some other niches I have paid for in the past (and will again probably in future). And I think that is a perfectly reasonable extra price to pay for a beautifully quality made bottle/box/key, that will last me pretty much forever probably. "Straight to Heaven's" longevity on my skin also surpasses any other I have. The superior quality of it's natural ingredients is immediately self evident. ... Not an easy thing to achieve with a majority (if not all ?) natural content !).

However, as I mentioned in my first post. I do agree that Pure Oud is far too expensive. And that they are charging far too much for that one. ... But then there is a trend for "exclusivity" and "luxury", the demand for which has never been higher. He is just trying to supply that demand ! (If I was lucky enough to have loads of money, I would not even think twice. As is often the case with people with too much money . ... Lets face it, us "poor people" aren't exactly their target market ! ).
    But of course it is also perfectly acceptable, as is the norm, to charge more for an exclusive limited edition fragrance. Especially when it uses the very best quality natural Agarwood extract. As opposed to some or other cheap synthetic substitute).
    And of course, it also makes total sense that when purchased in bulk, as you are able to do when you have a business. Of course one will be able to get products for much cheaper, leaving room for profit. That is just the way the world works, I'm afraid.
    Kilian's other fragrances are actually not that expensive when you factor the superior quality of their ingredients, the much superior quality and manufacture of their bottles and beautifully expensively made packaging. They are good quality ! (Of course that will push up their prices ! As well they should !). When compared to the prices of other niche releases (without those "extras", they are more or less in line price wise. Yet you actually get much less with these other niche lines for roughly the same amount of money. And yet these other niche lines never get any slack for being far too expensive ??? ~ (Or not as much "slack" as I have seen Kilian getting here, anyway!). ...
    We all know that perfumes have one of the largest profit margins of just about any "luxury" product ! ... But also remember we are not just paying for "a few essential oil in alcohol" as you mention. We are also paying for the artistry and skill of the perfumer as well ! (Believe me I have smelled many a perfume of "just a few essential oils chucked in alcohol", and they really do smell utter crap, I'm afraid !). You really need expensive excellent quality oils and skill before they are anywhere near good enough. (And yes their profit margin is quite huge. But that is the same thing as with any perfume ! ... They all have huge mark-ups. Especially the more synthetic ones.)
    I just don't understand why Kilian is the only one who seems to get ragged for this ??? ~ When all he has done is given us a better quality beautifully made product that you only need to pay once for. (And of course that will cost a little more than other niche releases who have not done so). When you next pay for a Kilian refill the prices of those refills are totally in line with other niche releases (if not cheaper if you factor the superior quality of their natural ingredients). ... When you still need to keep paying for countless other useless bottles with the other expensive niche lines, every time you need a "refill".

I don't particularly think he is "ripping anyone off", any more so than is any other niche perfume house. (In fact, non-niche perfumes that use absolutely rubbish-y dirt cheap synthetic aroma chemicals (or even some niche ones), and still put on a huge profit margin, are actually much more of a "rip-off", I would think. Yet we pay for them and never complain or accuse them of being "rip offs" or "gimmicks". For their perfumes really cost absolutely nothing to manufacture. And just look how much they still charge for them. ... They never get any slack for the rubbish they put out for a far higher profit margin!)

And ... P.S. : (Just by the way, she is not "my princess". Though she is a real princess in her own country !)
    If the above store is the same store as her's, she is probably just selling off some of her products at closer to cost to her. We also know that often with eBay auctions some products actually land up selling for even less than what they are worth. They just make up their money on other items that happen to go for more.

it's sad to see no one talking about the scent. even a patou used to cost $35 at a point in time... but we dont remember those releases by "what price" it used to sell..?

for those who have a problem with the packaging etc. etc.. - http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...efill_Set.html

imho - the price is fair..

I was fortunate to have bought By Kilian from pure_luxuryculture on Ebay and can confirm that their items are exactly the same as the ones for sale in Harvey Nichols, where I have tried the fragrances and recently bought Back to Black.

Quote Originally Posted by kimnyiri View Post
    I was fortunate to have bought By Kilian from pure_luxuryculture on Ebay and can confirm that their items are exactly the same as the ones for sale in Harvey Nichols, where I have tried the fragrances and recently bought Back to Black.
    Hey Hello there ! ... You are the very lucky one who managed to get the brand new "Pure Oud" Kilian for £160. (And the other Kilian for £92 too !) ... I have just been reading your "feedback" on eBay ! (Because of the above comments !) ... (You see there's just no keeping of secrets around here, with us lot (LOL) ! )

Woo Hoo ! ... I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous !

Did you get it on auction ??? Or was that the "Pay Now" price they had it on for ??? ... (For I have only seen them there for £148)

EDIT : ... P.S. ... Welcome by the way , and congrats on your very first post !

It must have been kinda surreal finding us here sorta talking about you here. (LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 13th September 2009 at 12:46 AM.

Hi, thanks for the kind welcome. The answer to your question is that I saw that someone else had offered £92 and had been sucessful with the bid so I tried the same and was lucky. I had been wanting Straight to Heaven for some time so I was chuffed to get a good chunk off the price.
    The bid for Pure Oud was done on the spur of the moment and I did not know if I would be lucky at that price.Maybe as I had bought from them before they were extra generous who knows.
    I must say a lot of mixed things have been written about Pure Oud, some by people who have had tiny testers and some who haven`t even tried it at all. I am one of the few people lucky enough to have sprayed it generously and worn it for a few days to get to know it and honestly find it wonderful and worth every penny. I use 5 sprays and find it is addictive, lasts all day, and can still be smelt in bed at night. I also love the bottle and box, and the fact it is refillable at a much reduced price from any By Kilian stockist.
    Some people spend loads on expensive shoes, bags, clothes, watches and jewellery which are only worn once or twice a year and stay in cupboards and drawers the rest of the time, this fragrance sits proudly in its lovely box on my dressing table and gets lots of use, so its good value to me.( especially at £100 off the normal retail price).

Quote Originally Posted by kimnyiri View Post
    Hi, thanks for the kind welcome. The answer to your question is that I saw that someone else had offered £92 and had been sucessful with the bid so I tried the same and was lucky. I had been wanting Straight to Heaven for some time so I was chuffed to get a good chunk off the price.
    The bid for Pure Oud was done on the spur of the moment and I did not know if I would be lucky at that price.Maybe as I had bought from them before they were extra generous who knows.
    I must say a lot of mixed things have been written about Pure Oud, some by people who have had tiny testers and some who haven`t even tried it at all. I am one of the few people lucky enough to have sprayed it generously and worn it for a few days to get to know it and honestly find it wonderful and worth every penny. I use 5 sprays and find it is addictive, lasts all day, and can still be smelt in bed at night. I also love the bottle and box, and the fact it is refillable at a much reduced price from any By Kilian stockist.
    Some people spend loads on expensive shoes, bags, clothes, watches and jewellery which are only worn once or twice a year and stay in cupboards and drawers the rest of the time, this fragrance sits proudly in its lovely box on my dressing table and gets lots of use, so its good value to me.( especially at £100 off the normal retail price).
    I am absolutely amazed that they accepted an offer £100 less than they were wanting for it. That is really quite incredible ! .... I think I may just have to go try that myself, and go offer them "an offer". Thank you so much for the tip ! I would have never dreamed of entering such a reduced amount as an offer. As I would have thought that they would just laugh at me, and tell me to go get stuffed ! (LOL) ... The only problem is probably they will now get totally inundated with offers, from people reading this thread. (And probably not be willing to do the same quite that often, I would think !)
    I agree with you 100% on the Kilian's. Straight to Heaven is also my fave at the moment. But I have been dying to sample the new Pure Oud one. Unfortunately I have not been able to find or purchase a sample anywhere. ... At lucky scent they will only sell them to a select few people. ... I am so glad to hear some good things about it. I am almost pretty sure that I would just luv it !!!
    Last edited by Sybarite; 13th September 2009 at 04:22 AM.

I love By Kilian for one reason alone:

They make Amoauge look inexpensive in comparison.
    (at least when comparing what it will cost you to get 100ml)

The two By Kilian's I tried - Cruel Intentions and Straight to Heaven, left me completely underwhelmed. One of them had an irritating very synthetic drydown of musk and what smelled like synthetic patchouli (Straight to Heaven, I think. I still don't get how that juice can be so white if it is 30% natural patchouli oil, as they claim. In a homemade blend that was completely clear, even adding just 1-2% patchouli - with the overall solution being at 20% dilution, EDP level - would make it that dark or darker. Hmm...)
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 13th September 2009 at 04:27 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I love By Kilian for one reason alone:

They make Amoauge look inexpensive in comparison.
    (at least when comparing what it will cost you to get 100ml)

The two By Kilian's I tried - Cruel Intentions and Straight to Heaven, left me completely underwhelmed. One of them had an irritating very synthetic drydown of musk and what smelled like synthetic patchouli (Straight to Heaven, I think. I still don't get how that juice can be so white if it is 30% natural patchouli oil, as they claim. In a homemade blend that was completely clear, even adding just 1-2% patchouli - with the overall solution being at 20% dilution, EDP level - would make it that dark or darker. Hmm...)
    Not all patchouli oil is dark. ... I have three different patchouli oils. And one of them is much much paler (almost transparent when diluted) than the other darker two (one being green the other brown). (Though I admit the very light one is not actually my favourite one). It also darkens considerably with age. ... (The different "paleness" of some might have something to do with the method of extraction or distillation, I imagine ???)

But you are right, "Straight to Heaven" really is incredibly clear jus.
    Last edited by Sybarite; 13th September 2009 at 06:20 AM.

Sybarite, thanks for the post, I agree with most of what you've written above although.. I don't think that Kilian is the only brand that 'gets the slack' here for being expensive - Creed takes the cake imo.. I still think that £140 for 50ml is way too much - I tend to think of what I can get for that kind of money - Chanel Paris exclusive parfums, vintage Tabac Blond extrait..you name it.. Prices similar to Malles or Lutens frags would be more realistic imo. As for Pure Oud, I doubt they used 'the very best' quality agarwood in this (e.g. Thaqeel costs approx. $3700/tola)
    True , I will admit that I was exaggerating a tad when I said "the very best quality". ... Though at least they are using natural extracts as opposed to just some dirt cheap aroma-chemicals.
    And yes their prices could be a little cheaper, for sure.
    But you say that they should be more in line with Serge Lutens and Malle. They actually are in line with them already. (In fact the refills are actually about $15 cheaper than Lutens).

You only pay about $85 dollars more than a Lutens frag for the first bottle. And you are receiving a much better quality (leathered) heavy bottle, than the decidedly average Lutens one. And the gorgeous engraved lacquered box. Which I'm sure is not that cheap to manufacture, having a key and lock and all. (You would pay probably just a little less than £50 ($85) for a lacquered box like that had you bought it separately in some or other smart interiors or gift store). ...
    (But here yes I suppose they could be somewhat cheaper ! But it gives me endless pleasure, and is the most attractive bottle in my wardrobe. It's a pleasure to use too. And so I find it worth every scent. ... (But then, I did not exactly pay full price for it either )

BUT when you then pay for the Kilian refills, they are actually cheaper than Lutens (Lutens being about $140, and the Kilian Refills being $115 , both for 50mls. And Malle over here (London) averages in price from $125 to $160 (for Une Rose) for 50ml, which is also quite a bit more expensive than the Kilian (from $10, but as much as $45, more). ... And I would say the quality of their fragrances are all pretty much on par ! (Kilian might even have the upper hand since he uses mostly naturals).

So ya see ... they are already "in line" with Lutens frags ! With Lutens and Malle actually being more expensive !

EDIT : P.S. : And yes you are correct, Creed does "take the cake" as far as the "ragging" goes. But personally I actually feel that they generally deserve pretty much every bit of it !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 13th September 2009 at 06:39 AM.

What a great story MFfan310.

I remember reading your report back then. I was new at Basenotes. I was all set to go that day to meet M. Hennessy, but work got in the way. I was glad that I found out about his next visit to the same store in November. I read somewhere that he would visit the Indianapolis store this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    That person was me, back in August 2008. And let me tell you the story of how I ran into the line and how I met Kilian.

To be honest, I had heard about the By Kilian line prior to that event, thanks to Basenotes and other means. I first saw the line in person at Bergdorf's in NYC earlier that year, but I had tested some Annick Goutals that day, so I couldn't test the line.

As part of a trip to Disneyland, among other places (don't laugh... you're never too old for the mouse), I went out to Southern California in August 2008. I realized while on the trip that the black plastic case on my all-important MacBook was starting to warp, and it had to go to the Apple Store for repairs. South Coast was the first one with an opening, even though Brea Mall was closer to where I was staying, so I went there.

While waiting for my MacBook to be fixed at the Apple Store, I went to Bloomingdale's to test the (then-exclusive) Cartier Roadster. I came out unimpressed, and then I had to go to Saks to see if they had Dsquared2's He Wood in yet. They said "no", but I saw a spot where they had some pre-release testers of the By Kilian line. I tried on A Taste of Heaven and thought it was OK, but the SA said "Come back during the official launch. Kilian himself will be there, and there's two more scents that you will love." Since Straight to Heaven wasn't there, and there were some raves on Basenotes about it, my mission was simple: come back.

Anyway: I came back. I chatted with Kilian (my transcript is available here). I was the first customer that day. I tried Straight to Heaven and fell in love with it. And I got my lacquered box signed by him with "I hope this fragrance will open a thousand doors in your memory and take you "straight to heaven". -Kilian"

And the juice is amazing. I have gotten more compliments on it than any other fragrance in my wardrobe. And if it wasn't for a broken MacBook and an overflow at the Brea Mall Genius Bar as opposed to the South Coast Plaza one, I probably wouldn't have ever sniffed it.

BTW, I wonder if the By Kilian scents are available at the Naptown (that's Indianapolis for you non-Hoosiers) Saks yet... I really hope to smell the new ones.
    Evenstar

.. The only problem is probably they will now get totally inundated with offers, from people reading this thread...
    Oh shit, I should never have mentioned that seller here on BN! Where am I going to get my cheap Kilians now?
    In fact, they had 'buy it now' price £180 for PO last time I checked (Friday) - with the 'make an offer' option available as well. Despite the 'reduced' price the listing for PO ended on Sat with no offers so wait until they re-list this one. However, I don't recommend buying PO blind - it is an interesting scent but not one of the 'pretty' or delicious ones IMO.

Oh shit, I should never have mentioned that seller here on BN! Where am I going to get my cheap Kilians now?
    In fact, they had 'buy it now' price £180 for PO last time I checked (Friday) - with the 'make an offer' option available as well. Despite the 'reduced' price the listing for PO ended on Sat with no offers so wait until they re-list this one. However, I don't recommend buying PO blind - it is an interesting scent but not one of the 'pretty' or delicious ones IMO.
    Yep, I'll definitely not "got it blind" with this one, no matter what the reduced amount. ... I mean, even though I do still luv my oud frags. There is always the possibility that this will be the first Kilian that I actually dislike !!?? (Though I really hope not !) ... It hasn't been getting the best reviews on here. Though I have read a few "glowing" ones too. ... A very strongly divided opinion on a scent, I generally regard as a very good sign. (I've found that I'm more often than not drawn to them favourably).
    (Though, I have also become very attached to my sample of TFord's "Oud Wood" lately. I keep liking it more and more each time I've worn it. And it's got monster longevity, lasting well over 14 hrs on my skin). ... So I might very well go for the TF one instead.

So I have actually been trying to twist our brand new poster "kimnyiri's" arm for a small sample ... I really hope he does not mind . ... I've probably just "scared him off" from posting any more "posts" now, ... if he's only gonna get "pestered" as a result (LOL)

Definately fragrences for the connosuer. Great juice with unbelievable bottles and packaging. Not sure if they are completely worth the price but the travel bottles seem the way to go.

I was meaning to post a travel size thread to see if anyone would be interested in getting a trade going. I am interested in STH,LD, and CI mostly and I want to get the travel sized bottles, but don't want 4 mini bottles of all the same scent. Anyone here want to get a mini-bottle trade going?

I would actually love to have full bottles of them, but I have too many frags as it is and it would be nice to have a nice travel sized selection when I go on trips.

PM or reply here if interested and maybe we can get something going. I'll keep people posted if I get enough requests to do it.

Mysticknot and Sybarite should get a room...their own chat room that is. Hahahaha

GunnBBang

I can´t decide between Back To Black and Straight To Heaven..Help me, otherwise, I have headache...Arrrghhh...

By Kilian is a great company.

GunnBBang

I can´t decide between Back To Black and Straight To Heaven..Help me, otherwise, I have headache...Arrrghhh...

tbh the lines not worth it, actually theres only two I would buy. Back to Black and Incense Oud

I've tried almost all their offerings and while I don't own any I think they are quality scents.

GunnBBang

The oud-collection is impressive, but too expensive. Even if you want to buy a refill, you must pay over 200€.
    I respect good ingredients, but I would rather save my money.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnBBang View Post

From these, I would pick Back to Black.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnBBang View Post

The only By Kilian frag that I've tried is Back to Black. Got a sample of it and it's my SOTD. Will probably buy one of their $70 travel sprays (1 oz total) rather than spend the $225 for the fancy 1.7 oz bottle.

I really like it, more than Tobacco Vanille even. What I like about it is probably what many people dislike about it, and that it's subtle. It's not a power house like TV, but to me that means it's more versatile and I can easily wear it to work.

Don't get me wrong, TV is a great scent, but I wouldn't be reaching for it much because it's not that versatile.

I've sampled both of these quite a bit and have not purchased either. B2B opens with a beautiful honeyed tobacco but fades to baby powder. I like TOH, but Incense Oud is the only one I'd consider purchasing.

I've tried Back to Black, Cruel Intentions & Liaisons Dangereuses. So far non of them stand out to me. The $70 travel sprays are more reasonable since the expensive bottle looks more like a gimmick to me, pretty much remind of Creed, Clive Christian & Xerjoff. A 50ml priced about $90-100 in "normal" bottle would be more ok