Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

I am basing this on online forums and videos, it seems from 2010 and on males are more interested in fragrances than females.

I always thought fragrances were a female thing, that perfume was what started it and then male cologne came after that.

Or is it that females are more into fragrances than males but males are on the internet more than females? Or do females have different buying patterns, they smell and then buy and go with word of mouth rather than searching the internet?

I also think females have less of a need to smell nice to attract males than the other way around.
    Last edited by DAX; 20th March 2012 at 04:12 AM.

Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

Certainly, one cannot extrapolate from Basenotes, as that was created to serve men's interest in the subject - makeupalley has a predominantly female membership by contrast. However, though I rarely encountered men saying that they dislike perfume (more often they simply give it no thought at all), yet I have heard quite a few women say that perfumes give them a headache so they wear none. I would not extrapolate from this incident observation onto the entire population of women, however. One wonders.

Dependent

I was under the impression that the women's fragrance industry is about 2x the size as men's. That gap has been narrowing for decades from what I've read. However I can't site anything specific and could be off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    Certainly, one cannot extrapolate from Basenotes, as that was created to serve men's interest in the subject - makeupalley has a predominantly female membership by contrast. However, though I rarely encountered men saying that they dislike perfume (more often they simply give it no thought at all), yet I have heard quite a few women say that perfumes give them a headache so they wear none. I would not extrapolate from this incident observation onto the entire population of women, however. One wonders.
    I concur. BN was started as a men's forum.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My theory is that men are more likely to buy in to hype and prefer to go with the majority, therefore we see a lot of thread asking about a particular fragrance - one that quite popular at the moment (I'm also the starter of some of those thread )

I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post
    I am basing this on online forums and videos, it seems from 2010 and on males are more interested in fragrances than females.

I always thought fragrances were a female thing, that perfume was what started it and then male cologne came after that
    It's good that times change and we are all freer to do what we want to do.

Or is it that females are more into fragrances than males but males are on the internet more than females? Or do females have different buying patterns, they smell and then buy and go with word of mouth rather than searching the internet?
    Yes, possibly a valid point IMO.

I also think females have less of a need to smell nice to attract males than the other way around.
    I am not too sure about this one. In fact, I doubt you are right.

.......I always thought fragrances were a female thing, that perfume was what started it and then male cologne came after that.......I also think females have less of a need to smell nice to attract males than the other way around
    It's common to call men's fragrances colognes, but they're all perfumes. The word perfume is derived from the Latin per fumum which means "through smoke".

Makeupalley is a popular fragrance forum for females. As stated above Basenotes was started as a men's forum and its popularity grew pretty fast. Men are also probably a little more into verbal jousting when it comes to this kind of stuff

It's good if others like the way I smell but I don't wear fragrances with the main purpose of attracting females or anyone else. I wear them because they're a sensual pleasure that I like. Each one I like is sort of a different drug. I usually wear stuff that my girlfriend likes but it isn't always the case. I also get a lot of satisfaction from smelling good stuff on her.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th March 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.
    +1 ... IMO, this answers the question.

This right here.

I think the women's fragrance industry, just like the women's fashion industry is still exponentially larger than the men's, but men have more of a tendency to turn something into a hobby. To study, analyze, and become experts in it. Women are more so casual users of everything but they largely outnumber the men just as "casual" users. So even if there's 1,000 women to 1 man who own a fragrance, chances are there's still 5 men to 1 women who decides to go online and become a fragrance board poster or youtube reviewer.

Men by nature are more extroverted, we tend to become passionate and competitive about things so it makes sense for us to go online and flaunt our knowledge on a fragrance forum or post reviews ranting on and on about a certain fragrance. We seek out and take on these hobbies that draw us in to feed that inner masculine need to exert our ego into the world one way or another. It all goes back to the concept that "feminism" is more "receptive" in nature which fits in more with being a consumer, while "masculinity" fits in more with being " exertive " in nature which fits in with being a producer.

Dont believe that theory??? Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    Last edited by psylence2k; 20th March 2012 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    This right here.

I think the women's fragrance industry, just like the women's fashion industry is still exponentially larger than the men's, but men have more of a tendency to turn something into a hobby. To study, analyze, and become experts in it. Women are more so casual users of everything but they largely outnumber the men just as "casual" users. So even if there's 1,000 women to 1 man who own a fragrance, chances are there's still 5 men to 1 women who decides to go online and become a fragrance board poster or youtube reviewer.

Men by nature are more extroverted, we tend to become passionate and competitive about things so it makes sense for us to go online and flaunt our knowledge on a fragrance forum or post reviews ranting on and on about a certain fragrance. We seek out and take on these hobbies that draw us in to feed that inner masculine need to exert our ego into the world one way or another. It all goes back to the concept that "feminism" is more "receptive" in nature which fits in more with being a consumer, while "masculinity" fits in more with being " exertive " in nature which fits in with being a producer.

Dont believe that theory??? Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    +10000000
    GREAT AWESOME POST ^^^^^^^^^^^
    10/10 rating
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Another +1 for this. Yes, Makeupalley is overwhelmingly women, but the traffic on its fragrance board is relatively low in comparison with BN and even some of MUA's other boards.

And as for "females" needing to smell nice to attract males - bollocks. I wear perfume for me.

By the way, can I ask why people here seem to prefer to say "males" and "females" rather than "men" and "women?" Of course, I'm assuming we're all humans, but I could be wrong!

This right here.

I disagree. I don't think there's a clear fact of the matter about what the "nature" of man is. Much less one that is extroverted &c. I am an introvert and I am into this hobby. Please discard essentialism. Thanks.

I don't have any evidence against men being hobbyists, though. (That is to say, I don't disagree with that part.)

Fragrantica is full of ladies.

Men tend to use the Internet to discuss hobbies more than ladies.

Take a look at high end watch forums. Mostly men but thier wives own as many watches as them but dont congregate online.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post
    I disagree. I don't think there's a clear fact of the matter about what the "nature" of man is. Much less one that is extroverted &c. I am an introvert and I am into this hobby. Please discard essentialism. Thanks.

I don't have any evidence against men being hobbyists, though. (That is to say, I don't disagree with that part.)
    It's a generalization, any and everything that applies to human nature will have an exception, For instance:

Men in general are attracted to women, is this true ?? Yes, are there exceptions ?? of course.

So if I said Men like women , would I be wrong ???

It would be stupid of me to say all men are complete extroverts or all women are complete introverts but there are definitely general tendencies that apply to both genders. We both know that there are sociological studies that have consistently captured certain trends, tendencies, and traits respective to each gender as well as scientific studies that show the chemical / biological differences between a male and female's body even down to their brain. There's clearly documented differences ( in general once again) between the genders in everything from the way we consume, select, behave, react, and so forth from as early as birth.

So being that there's been plenty of research done in both fields people are free to debate whether these differences are biological or sociological, being that there's a decent amount of research one could utilize to defend this argument from either side, but even if you are against the biological one, anyone can see that historically society has created gender roles and placed certain expectations and conditioning on each sex. I think to deny that has had a general impact would be naive.

At the end of the day, you can just ask yourself , are Men and Women the same in nature ?? I definitely dont think so , we can sit here and nitpick all the small little discrepancies, minute details, or less common exceptions, but I feel even an alien observing our race for a short period of time would easily see that each gender has it's "general" tendencies. I really hope no one thinks that I'm trying to pass on this concept as an absolute/definitive law applicable to each and every individual to a full and uniformed extent. That would be more so essentialism.

Like I said these are "general" truths. Look at the title of this thread, the keyword that I want to point out to you is "more", look at my previous post you quoted, and you will see that I constantly use that same word "more".

This is like someone asking : " Hey why do men frequent areas where alot of women congregate ??"

Me: " because men are generally attracted to women"

Disputer: " that's not true, I'm a man and I'm not attracted to women "

does that change the general truth though ??
    Last edited by psylence2k; 20th March 2012 at 07:20 AM.

My guess is there are more hardcore fragheads that are men, but from a mainstream standpoint more women are into fragrances than men.

It's a generalization, any and everything that applies to human nature will have an exception, For instance:

Men in general are attracted to women, is this true ?? Yes, are there exceptions ?? of course.

It would be stupid of me to say all men are complete extroverts or all women are complete introverts but there are definitely general tendencies that apply to both genders. We both know that there are sociological studies that have consistently captured certain trends, tendencies, and traits respective to each gender as well as scientific studies that show the chemical / biological differences between a male and female's body even down to their brain. There's clearly documented differences ( in general once again) between the genders in everything from the way we consume, select, behave, react, and so forth from as early as birth.

So being that there's been plenty of research done in both fields people are free to debate whether these differences are biological or sociological, being that there's a decent amount of research one could utilize to defend either argument, but even if you are against the biological one, anyone can see that historically society has created gender roles and placed certain expectations and conditioning on each sex. I think to deny that has had a general impact would be naive.

At the end of the day, you can just ask yourself , are Men and Women the same in nature ?? I definitely dont think so , we can sit here and nitpick all the small little discrepancies, minute details, or less common exceptions, but I feel even an alien observing our race for a short period of time would easily see that each gender has it's "general" tendencies. I really hope no one thinks that I'm trying to pass on this concept as an absolute/definitive law applicable to each and every individual to a full and uniformed extent. That would be more so essentialism.
    In short - men are producers and geeks/nerds, women are consumers and prefer to meet over tea parties to discuss 'things'
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    My guess is there are more hardcore fragheads that are men, but from a mainstream standpoint more women are into fragrances than men.
    Correct - choose any hobby men and women are into and you'll always find men will take the interest into extremes, whereas women seldom will do that.

Kitchen knifes
    Watches
    Fragrances
    Clothing
    Food
    Designer furniture
    Cars
    Computers
    Hifi gear
    TV
    Astronomy
    etc. etc. etc.

Women are consumers and then producers, men are producers and then consumers....... a rough generalization, but some truth to it
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Okay as a female I have noticed.

Men:
    Obsess much more over products and want the latest, the best in other words the hype.

Is it fake,
    Batch codes
    Why is my bottle different, shiny cap, juice different colour etc etc etc etc etc etc
    What do women/men/pet like

I see guys queuing up outside Apple overnight for the new whatever.

Women we do or rather some do what do men like a woman to wear?

Otherwise we do not obsess in the lest about

Is the cap different, is the juice a different colour than what someone else has, the batch code.

We do worry about reformulation of course. We search for vintage.
    DONNA

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    In short - men are producers and geeks/nerds, women are consumers and prefer to meet over tea parties to discuss 'things'
    I like this idea although i think everyone has their own point of view and no one is really wrong.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Banned

tend to agree with the foregoing ...

I don't agree that men are more into fragrances than women - it's quite the opposite.

It does seem to be the case that more men obsessively collect/explore things but that's just my observation and I don't know what drives this behaviour (if this is indeed correct anyway).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

Men:
    Obsess much more over products and want the latest, the best in other words the hype.

Is it fake,
    Batch codes
    Why is my bottle different, shiny cap, juice different colour etc etc etc etc etc etc
    Yes, this is true!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

I think this is it !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lol, good answer! Men become a little obsessed with our hobbies. Smelling good is a pretty good hobby though!

Great thread. I was wondering about this question myself. The obsessing over hobbies theory goes a long way towards an explanation, well said.

Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    That's also evidence for deeply ingrained societal sexism!

Because men like to smell good to impress the pretty ladies. Why do you think men lift weight? Why do you think the male peacock, and duck has the better looking feathers than the female? Also, it's because men likes to analyze things more too; there are more male engineers than female engineers.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    That's also evidence for deeply ingrained societal sexism!
    Oh pleaseeeeeeeeeeee ... here we go, throwing the penalty flag of sexism whenever the facts are apparently offending to the ears of the fairer sex ... I see it coming Tim Gunn, the misogynist, heaven help us ...

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Also, it's because men likes to analyze things more too; there are more male engineers than female engineers.
    Thats because men opressed women in certain cultures for certain periods of time.
    My sister is a senior student in the college of Biomedical Engineering. She also loves baking.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Men tend to analyze things. On Basenotes are more men than on Fragrantica or The Perfume Magazine.

On both Basenotes and Fragrantica, a recurring theme is: Find me the sexy, sexier, sexiest fragrance.

I think you hit it here. They have a little more power over us. We need a little more help.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post

On both Basenotes and Fragrantica, a recurring theme is: Find me the sexy, sexier, sexiest fragrance.
    ummm not that much on BN.Once in a while.
    More so on fragrantica.

for swap/sale:

Very true.

Funny but true!

This
    plus this
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Men tend to use the Internet to discuss hobbies more than ladies.

equals my theory on this matter.
    Mark K

I think it's just a matter of what women largely get interested in. If you look at youtube you will find countless hair/makeup videos out there, and I think that just appeals to women more.

But yea, I think it's just a matter of what hobbies people get infatuated with. Weird how that works on such a large scale when you think about it.

It is kind of frustrating when you're looking for a good video review of a "woman's" fragrance and can't find a single video.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

Men:

Is it fake,
    Batch codes
    What do women/men/pet like

I see guys queuing up outside Apple overnight for the new whatever.

Women we do or rather some do what do men like a woman to wear?

Otherwise we do not obsess in the lest about

Is the cap different, is the juice a different colour than what someone else has, the batch code.

We do worry about reformulation of course. We search for vintage.
    Seems about true enough.
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue

So being that there's been plenty of research done in both fields people are free to debate whether these differences are biological or sociological, being that there's a decent amount of research one could utilize to defend this argument from either side, but even if you are against the biological one, anyone can see that historically society has created gender roles and placed certain expectations and conditioning on each sex. I think to deny that has had a general impact would be naive.

Like I said these are "general" truths. Look at the title of this thread, the keyword that I want to point out to you is "more", look at my previous post you quoted, and you will see that I constantly use that same word "more".

This is like someone asking : " Hey why do men frequent areas where alot of women congregate ??"

Me: " because men are generally attracted to women"

Disputer: " that's not true, I'm a man and I'm not attracted to women "

does that change the general truth though ??
    I think you're talking about culture and not nature. But that's a long debate. Anthropology is full of surprises. Please look at research beyond the United States. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post

Well said.

Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Hmmm.... I'm not so sure about that. I'm thinking that geeking out over a hobby is genetic. My mom can tell you the latin name of every flower and she's got several other hobbies she geeks out over... some which are strange to me. Everyone in my family has several interests they "geek out" over.

Generalization is awful. Especially when speaking about people. And the whole "men this" and "women that" is even more wicked.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Blog Entries

Actually, who cares ? Both men and women are having fun. Some men even wear women's fragrances and some girls wear men's. It is a large playing field for both. Who needs to measure and make comparisons ? To flood the market with more of this, or more of that ?

Is the object of discussions here to outsmart one another, or is it simply to take statistics, or is it to talk the day away ?

Maybe a combination ...

On here, there are more men. In the "regular" world, I think women consume the lion's share of the market.

My wife would not leave the house without spraying herself with perfume, however she does not have a clue about top, middle and base notes and could care less. She smells it and if she likes it she buys it and wears it. On the other hand I read and research as much as I can, I get samples, I test, I buy decants and finally I will purchase something if i really like it. My wife will stay in the same basic genre of perfumes, while I will have a leather scent, a fresh scent, a tobacco scet, etc. I will also group scent for evening vs daytime, winter vs. summer etc. My wife will wear the same thing everyday without any selectivity.

In other words I obsese, reasearch, "kick the wheels" and then geek out over it and my wife just buys and wears it.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Why So Serious?

I think Basenotes did start as a Men's forum, it was the very few or probably the only online place where men could actually discuss an uncommon subject - Fragrances. The female board was added later.

Sure, there are lots of guys who look for different ways to impress women, but the fragrance industry for men has come a long way. It probably would've been more awkward (as a guy) to talk about a fascination about fragrances 10 years ago. But now, it has become more of a lifestyle. And maybe it was because that the topic was uncommon and that men were unfamiliar with this territory that drives us into this fascination. And now with a much open society where this topic became more popular among men (driven by marketing or not), more and more seek to blend this in as part of a lifestyle and as part of individuality.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I guess, without wanting to sound patronizing, discriminatory or elitist in any way, Basenotes forums are merely the exception which confirms the rule, because outside of this virtual discussion&interaction forum, men in everyday life are either much less interested in fragrance or much less ready to admit if they are interested

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I guess, without wanting to sound patronizing, discriminatory or elitist in any way, Basenotes forums are merely the exception which confirms the rule, because outside of this virtual discussion&interaction forum, men in everyday life are either much less interested in fragrance or much less ready to admit if they are interested
    I think you are right. On most Forums, where I have been posting, the women outnumber the men, and the men, although they have their own section, contribute much less to the chatter that is going on.

It is in Basenotes where a high level of intelligent discussions takes place that men - who tend to analyze - analyze this subject to death, too.

Women, if they are not out shopping, do discuss fragrances, make up and such, with their girlfriends, mothers and probably their cat. They don't really need the net (even though I'm sure there are plenty of sites, e.g. Fragrantica, that are dominated by females).
    I've gingerly tried to do this with other men, the best result so far was a (gay) friend, telling me about a £5 A*men knock off he bought from the market.

Lightbulb Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    In other words I obsese, reasearch, "kick the wheels" and then geek out over it and my wife just buys and wears it.
    I think you hit it right there

Of course there ARE women, who goes into detail with a lot of things, but in general if you look at our western society as a whole - women do NOT tend to over think and analyze into the same high level of detail that men tend to.

There will always be exceptions to this rule, but in general - men tend to over think overanalyze things - thus you will more often than not see the new inventions coming from men and not women.
    It takes a certain level of 'geekness' and 'nerdiness' to invent and analyze things into atoms, and men tend to do just that with most of the things they are interested in.
    Women are more practical and pragmatic about their hobbies.

As you say - if it works then they'll use it. if not, they will have it fixed or buy a new one. Men will try to see if they can fix it before they buy w new one and will look for advice on internet forums etc.
    I'm not saying all women are like that - but in general they are.
    Not all men are geeks and try to repair or fix things, but most men are like that.

I think this gender difference is the reason behind the way we discuss and look at fragrances. The girls I have known almost all were very much into fragrances, some even had 40-50 bottles of juice, but NO ONE had the same level of interest in fragrances as the average male has in here on BN.

I've visited some of the other fragrance websites - and also seen reviews on YouTube and you can clearly see a difference in how a male and a female reviews a certain fragrance. Men are just more nerdy in the way they perceive a fragrance and split the notes up in atoms. Women just seem to look at the over all scent and what it smells like to them, without going into details about the elements in the fragrance.

You see the same on computer and mobil phone forums.
    Men hype the new stuff, looking for improvements and added new features, women just want to use it, and don't care much about the functions, as long as they work.

Men will always be more geeky than women - thus they will always create most of the inventions on this planet. NO PUN INTENDED - just a fact of life
    Women will always look better in general - also just a fact of life
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Blog Entries

Slightly Off Topic :

Are not most of the perfumers men ? It is this capability to analyze (into atoms ...) that brings the perfumer to translate his vision into the finished product. For a while, I have been following the Tauer blog and this male perfumer shares how he goes about. With Excel Spreadsheet, molecules in arrangement, juxtaposition, all coming from a background as a chemist and a specialist in computer technology. And yet, he translates feelings ...

It takes this type of ANALYTICAL THINKING to actually translate a vision, a dream, a fantasy from a different part of the brain, into something tangible, the finished scent.

Correct me if I am wrong. What I am trying to say is that a sweeping more generalized approach - like you say women have in their approach of selection - may work in the creative arts when painting paintings, or writing poems, but in music and perfumery, there has to be structure for the outcome to be good.

Basenotes Member

I just think that maybe more men than women take it serious enough to discuss over message boards

There's no evidence to suggest that the Basenotes subset of men is in any way indicative of "men" in general.

A much more plausible hypothesis is that the Basenotes subset of men is comprised largely of an affiliation around certain neuroses such as obsessive compulsive disorder whereby the constituents have a common fixation, a fixation in this case that is fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post
    I think you're talking about culture and not nature. But that's a long debate. Anthropology is full of surprises. Please look at research beyond the United States. Thanks.
    Societal conditioning definitely has an effect but I think biological nature also has a very significant effect

Scientifically there’s been consistent research showing the brain (which controls everything from behavior, thought, learning, etc) differs from male to female. Certain sections of the brain that control certain personality functions are more prominent in men while others are more prominent in women. It causes us to generally think and act different. The research in a way also supports a lot of these societal “generalizations” about both genders.

Why do you assume that all the research I have read and studied is all from the U.S. ?? I’ve read about Chinese, Japanese, and German research stating similar. Though even aside from the research I’ve looked at, I’m speaking from direct experience. I’ve lived in Asia and Europe as well as the United States. Even though there’s a few small differences , overall gender roles on a large scale are very similar cross culturally. Can you name me a culture where men act like women and women act like men ??

I would actually go as far as to say that in Asian culture, Hispanic culture, Middle Eastern Culture, most African cultures and most European cultures, that both men and women act in a more “stereotypical” or should I say “traditional” manner of what is expected of a male or female. The U.S. (even though we still strongly enforce gender roles) relatively is more liberal in the way we view societal gender roles in comparison to most other countries. So even If I was speaking from a observation of just American society it would probably help your argument more so than most other countries.
    Last edited by psylence2k; 20th March 2012 at 05:26 PM.

I clicked the thread to say this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AllanC View Post
    There's no evidence to suggest that the Basenotes subset of men is in any way indicative of "men" in general.

A much more plausible hypothesis is that the Basenotes subset of men is comprised largely of an affiliation around certain neuroses such as obsessive compulsive disorder whereby the constituents have a common fixation, a fixation in this case that is fragrances.
    I highlighted your text with which I have a problem : Is the pursuit of perfumes and the education that goes with that not fun and enrichment ? You make it sound like a symptom of something negative, like a "disorder".

ah well ... at least we don't like discussing Vampire Diaries.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room!

Is being a man who is a fragrance lover seen in our society as an effeminate trait? Serious question.
    I don't go up to my "real life" buddies and tell eveyrone about my fragrance hobby, the way they can't stop telling me about things like their expertise in wine or microbrew beers, or collecting guns or expensive and/or vintage fountain pens, etc. This may be why a forum like Basenotes thrives and is filled with men. We can talk about this unique hobby/interest openly on these forums. This might be our only outlet for this passion for fragrance. Even my wife thinks I'm crazy constantly sampling and buying frags and asking her to smell them.

And I know there will be the expected "I don't care what other think about my hobby" or "whats wrong with effeminate" response...and I'm with you on that. But this is the society we live in. But I will not lie and say I don't keep this hobby private (maybe that's just how I am in general though).

Blog Entries

The media and the market are on the side of "effiminate trait" men - just look at all the fashionable ads. Is men wearing colognes ok in the city and not in rural settings ?