Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 93
  1. #1

    Default How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    I am basing this on online forums and videos, it seems from 2010 and on males are more interested in fragrances than females.

    I always thought fragrances were a female thing, that perfume was what started it and then male cologne came after that.

    Or is it that females are more into fragrances than males but males are on the internet more than females? Or do females have different buying patterns, they smell and then buy and go with word of mouth rather than searching the internet?

    I also think females have less of a need to smell nice to attract males than the other way around.
    Last edited by DAX; 20th March 2012 at 04:12 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Certainly, one cannot extrapolate from Basenotes, as that was created to serve men's interest in the subject - makeupalley has a predominantly female membership by contrast. However, though I rarely encountered men saying that they dislike perfume (more often they simply give it no thought at all), yet I have heard quite a few women say that perfumes give them a headache so they wear none. I would not extrapolate from this incident observation onto the entire population of women, however. One wonders.

  3. #3
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,699

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    I was under the impression that the women's fragrance industry is about 2x the size as men's. That gap has been narrowing for decades from what I've read. However I can't site anything specific and could be off the mark.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    Certainly, one cannot extrapolate from Basenotes, as that was created to serve men's interest in the subject - makeupalley has a predominantly female membership by contrast. However, though I rarely encountered men saying that they dislike perfume (more often they simply give it no thought at all), yet I have heard quite a few women say that perfumes give them a headache so they wear none. I would not extrapolate from this incident observation onto the entire population of women, however. One wonders.
    I concur. BN was started as a men's forum.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

  5. #5

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    My theory is that men are more likely to buy in to hype and prefer to go with the majority, therefore we see a lot of thread asking about a particular fragrance - one that quite popular at the moment (I'm also the starter of some of those thread )

  6. #6

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post
    I am basing this on online forums and videos, it seems from 2010 and on males are more interested in fragrances than females.

    I always thought fragrances were a female thing, that perfume was what started it and then male cologne came after that
    It's good that times change and we are all freer to do what we want to do.


    Or is it that females are more into fragrances than males but males are on the internet more than females? Or do females have different buying patterns, they smell and then buy and go with word of mouth rather than searching the internet?
    Yes, possibly a valid point IMO.

    I also think females have less of a need to smell nice to attract males than the other way around.
    I am not too sure about this one. In fact, I doubt you are right.

  8. #8
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,302

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post
    .......I always thought fragrances were a female thing, that perfume was what started it and then male cologne came after that.......I also think females have less of a need to smell nice to attract males than the other way around
    It's common to call men's fragrances colognes, but they're all perfumes. The word perfume is derived from the Latin per fumum which means "through smoke".

    Makeupalley is a popular fragrance forum for females. As stated above Basenotes was started as a men's forum and its popularity grew pretty fast. Men are also probably a little more into verbal jousting when it comes to this kind of stuff

    It's good if others like the way I smell but I don't wear fragrances with the main purpose of attracting females or anyone else. I wear them because they're a sensual pleasure that I like. Each one I like is sort of a different drug. I usually wear stuff that my girlfriend likes but it isn't always the case. I also get a lot of satisfaction from smelling good stuff on her.
    Last edited by pluran; 20th March 2012 at 09:27 AM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.
    +1 ... IMO, this answers the question.

  10. #10

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.
    This right here.

    I think the women's fragrance industry, just like the women's fashion industry is still exponentially larger than the men's, but men have more of a tendency to turn something into a hobby. To study, analyze, and become experts in it. Women are more so casual users of everything but they largely outnumber the men just as "casual" users. So even if there's 1,000 women to 1 man who own a fragrance, chances are there's still 5 men to 1 women who decides to go online and become a fragrance board poster or youtube reviewer.

    Men by nature are more extroverted, we tend to become passionate and competitive about things so it makes sense for us to go online and flaunt our knowledge on a fragrance forum or post reviews ranting on and on about a certain fragrance. We seek out and take on these hobbies that draw us in to feed that inner masculine need to exert our ego into the world one way or another. It all goes back to the concept that "feminism" is more "receptive" in nature which fits in more with being a consumer, while "masculinity" fits in more with being " exertive " in nature which fits in with being a producer.

    Dont believe that theory??? Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    Last edited by psylence2k; 20th March 2012 at 05:30 AM.

  11. #11
    Dependent CHSeifert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    2,005

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    This right here.

    I think the women's fragrance industry, just like the women's fashion industry is still exponentially larger than the men's, but men have more of a tendency to turn something into a hobby. To study, analyze, and become experts in it. Women are more so casual users of everything but they largely outnumber the men just as "casual" users. So even if there's 1,000 women to 1 man who own a fragrance, chances are there's still 5 men to 1 women who decides to go online and become a fragrance board poster or youtube reviewer.

    Men by nature are more extroverted, we tend to become passionate and competitive about things so it makes sense for us to go online and flaunt our knowledge on a fragrance forum or post reviews ranting on and on about a certain fragrance. We seek out and take on these hobbies that draw us in to feed that inner masculine need to exert our ego into the world one way or another. It all goes back to the concept that "feminism" is more "receptive" in nature which fits in more with being a consumer, while "masculinity" fits in more with being " exertive " in nature which fits in with being a producer.

    Dont believe that theory??? Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    +10000000
    GREAT AWESOME POST ^^^^^^^^^^^
    10/10 rating
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,445

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.
    Another +1 for this. Yes, Makeupalley is overwhelmingly women, but the traffic on its fragrance board is relatively low in comparison with BN and even some of MUA's other boards.

    And as for "females" needing to smell nice to attract males - bollocks. I wear perfume for me.

    By the way, can I ask why people here seem to prefer to say "males" and "females" rather than "men" and "women?" Of course, I'm assuming we're all humans, but I could be wrong!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    This right here.

    I think the women's fragrance industry, just like the women's fashion industry is still exponentially larger than the men's, but men have more of a tendency to turn something into a hobby. To study, analyze, and become experts in it. Women are more so casual users of everything but they largely outnumber the men just as "casual" users. So even if there's 1,000 women to 1 man who own a fragrance, chances are there's still 5 men to 1 women who decides to go online and become a fragrance board poster or youtube reviewer.

    Men by nature are more extroverted, we tend to become passionate and competitive about things so it makes sense for us to go online and flaunt our knowledge on a fragrance forum or post reviews ranting on and on about a certain fragrance. We seek out and take on these hobbies that draw us in to feed that inner masculine need to exert our ego into the world one way or another. It all goes back to the concept that "feminism" is more "receptive" in nature which fits in more with being a consumer, while "masculinity" fits in more with being " exertive " in nature which fits in with being a producer.

    Dont believe that theory??? Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    I disagree. I don't think there's a clear fact of the matter about what the "nature" of man is. Much less one that is extroverted &c. I am an introvert and I am into this hobby. Please discard essentialism. Thanks.

    I don't have any evidence against men being hobbyists, though. (That is to say, I don't disagree with that part.)

  14. #14

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Fragrantica is full of ladies.

    Men tend to use the Internet to discuss hobbies more than ladies.

    Take a look at high end watch forums. Mostly men but thier wives own as many watches as them but dont congregate online.
    for swap/sale:



  15. #15

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by inscents View Post
    I disagree. I don't think there's a clear fact of the matter about what the "nature" of man is. Much less one that is extroverted &c. I am an introvert and I am into this hobby. Please discard essentialism. Thanks.

    I don't have any evidence against men being hobbyists, though. (That is to say, I don't disagree with that part.)
    It's a generalization, any and everything that applies to human nature will have an exception, For instance:

    Men in general are attracted to women, is this true ?? Yes, are there exceptions ?? of course.

    So if I said Men like women , would I be wrong ???

    It would be stupid of me to say all men are complete extroverts or all women are complete introverts but there are definitely general tendencies that apply to both genders. We both know that there are sociological studies that have consistently captured certain trends, tendencies, and traits respective to each gender as well as scientific studies that show the chemical / biological differences between a male and female's body even down to their brain. There's clearly documented differences ( in general once again) between the genders in everything from the way we consume, select, behave, react, and so forth from as early as birth.

    So being that there's been plenty of research done in both fields people are free to debate whether these differences are biological or sociological, being that there's a decent amount of research one could utilize to defend this argument from either side, but even if you are against the biological one, anyone can see that historically society has created gender roles and placed certain expectations and conditioning on each sex. I think to deny that has had a general impact would be naive.

    At the end of the day, you can just ask yourself , are Men and Women the same in nature ?? I definitely dont think so , we can sit here and nitpick all the small little discrepancies, minute details, or less common exceptions, but I feel even an alien observing our race for a short period of time would easily see that each gender has it's "general" tendencies. I really hope no one thinks that I'm trying to pass on this concept as an absolute/definitive law applicable to each and every individual to a full and uniformed extent. That would be more so essentialism.

    Like I said these are "general" truths. Look at the title of this thread, the keyword that I want to point out to you is "more", look at my previous post you quoted, and you will see that I constantly use that same word "more".

    This is like someone asking : " Hey why do men frequent areas where alot of women congregate ??"

    Me: " because men are generally attracted to women"

    Disputer: " that's not true, I'm a man and I'm not attracted to women "

    does that change the general truth though ??
    Last edited by psylence2k; 20th March 2012 at 07:20 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    My guess is there are more hardcore fragheads that are men, but from a mainstream standpoint more women are into fragrances than men.

  17. #17
    Dependent CHSeifert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    2,005

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    It's a generalization, any and everything that applies to human nature will have an exception, For instance:

    Men in general are attracted to women, is this true ?? Yes, are there exceptions ?? of course.

    So if I said Men like women , would I be wrong ???

    It would be stupid of me to say all men are complete extroverts or all women are complete introverts but there are definitely general tendencies that apply to both genders. We both know that there are sociological studies that have consistently captured certain trends, tendencies, and traits respective to each gender as well as scientific studies that show the chemical / biological differences between a male and female's body even down to their brain. There's clearly documented differences ( in general once again) between the genders in everything from the way we consume, select, behave, react, and so forth from as early as birth.

    So being that there's been plenty of research done in both fields people are free to debate whether these differences are biological or sociological, being that there's a decent amount of research one could utilize to defend either argument, but even if you are against the biological one, anyone can see that historically society has created gender roles and placed certain expectations and conditioning on each sex. I think to deny that has had a general impact would be naive.

    At the end of the day, you can just ask yourself , are Men and Women the same in nature ?? I definitely dont think so , we can sit here and nitpick all the small little discrepancies, minute details, or less common exceptions, but I feel even an alien observing our race for a short period of time would easily see that each gender has it's "general" tendencies. I really hope no one thinks that I'm trying to pass on this concept as an absolute/definitive law applicable to each and every individual to a full and uniformed extent. That would be more so essentialism.
    In short - men are producers and geeks/nerds, women are consumers and prefer to meet over tea parties to discuss 'things'
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

  18. #18
    Dependent CHSeifert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    2,005

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    My guess is there are more hardcore fragheads that are men, but from a mainstream standpoint more women are into fragrances than men.
    Correct - choose any hobby men and women are into and you'll always find men will take the interest into extremes, whereas women seldom will do that.

    Kitchen knifes
    Watches
    Fragrances
    Clothing
    Food
    Designer furniture
    Cars
    Computers
    Hifi gear
    TV
    Astronomy
    etc. etc. etc.

    Women are consumers and then producers, men are producers and then consumers....... a rough generalization, but some truth to it
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

  19. #19

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Okay as a female I have noticed.

    Men:
    Obsess much more over products and want the latest, the best in other words the hype.

    Is it fake,
    Batch codes
    Why is my bottle different, shiny cap, juice different colour etc etc etc etc etc etc
    What do women/men/pet like

    I see guys queuing up outside Apple overnight for the new whatever.

    Women we do or rather some do what do men like a woman to wear?

    Otherwise we do not obsess in the lest about

    Is the cap different, is the juice a different colour than what someone else has, the batch code.

    We do worry about reformulation of course. We search for vintage.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

  20. #20
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,112

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    In short - men are producers and geeks/nerds, women are consumers and prefer to meet over tea parties to discuss 'things'
    I like this idea although i think everyone has their own point of view and no one is really wrong.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    7,186

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.
    Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    I think the women's fragrance industry, just like the women's fashion industry is still exponentially larger than the men's, but men have more of a tendency to turn something into a hobby. To study, analyze, and become experts in it. Women are more so casual users of everything but they largely outnumber the men just as "casual" users. So even if there's 1,000 women to 1 man who own a fragrance, chances are there's still 5 men to 1 women who decides to go online and become a fragrance board poster or youtube reviewer.

    Men by nature are more extroverted, we tend to become passionate and competitive about things so it makes sense for us to go online and flaunt our knowledge on a fragrance forum or post reviews ranting on and on about a certain fragrance. We seek out and take on these hobbies that draw us in to feed that inner masculine need to exert our ego into the world one way or another. It all goes back to the concept that "feminism" is more "receptive" in nature which fits in more with being a consumer, while "masculinity" fits in more with being " exertive " in nature which fits in with being a producer.

    Dont believe that theory??? Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    tend to agree with the foregoing ...

  22. #22

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    I don't agree that men are more into fragrances than women - it's quite the opposite.

    It does seem to be the case that more men obsessively collect/explore things but that's just my observation and I don't know what drives this behaviour (if this is indeed correct anyway).

  23. #23
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    7,182
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Okay as a female I have noticed.

    Men:
    Obsess much more over products and want the latest, the best in other words the hype.

    Is it fake,
    Batch codes
    Why is my bottle different, shiny cap, juice different colour etc etc etc etc etc etc
    Yes, this is true!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  24. #24
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.
    I think this is it !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  25. #25

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.

    Lol, good answer! Men become a little obsessed with our hobbies. Smelling good is a pretty good hobby though!

  26. #26

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Great thread. I was wondering about this question myself. The obsessing over hobbies theory goes a long way towards an explanation, well said.

  27. #27

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post
    Just look at the fashion industry, women LARGELY outnumber men as consumers, but men since the beginning have largely outnumbered women as designers and heads of fashion houses.
    That's also evidence for deeply ingrained societal sexism!

  28. #28

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Because men like to smell good to impress the pretty ladies. Why do you think men lift weight? Why do you think the male peacock, and duck has the better looking feathers than the female? Also, it's because men likes to analyze things more too; there are more male engineers than female engineers.
    My Top 10

    1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui



    "A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

  29. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    7,186

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    That's also evidence for deeply ingrained societal sexism!
    Oh pleaseeeeeeeeeeee ... here we go, throwing the penalty flag of sexism whenever the facts are apparently offending to the ears of the fairer sex ... I see it coming Tim Gunn, the misogynist, heaven help us ...

  30. #30

    Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

    Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Also, it's because men likes to analyze things more too; there are more male engineers than female engineers.
    Thats because men opressed women in certain cultures for certain periods of time.
    My sister is a senior student in the college of Biomedical Engineering. She also loves baking.
    for swap/sale:



Similar Threads

  1. Most popular female fragrance for males
    By martinijo in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 22nd November 2011, 10:32 PM
  2. Males Wearing Female Fragrances.
    By Renato in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: 30th September 2011, 09:21 PM
  3. Are males more interested in fragrance than females?
    By LuckyLuke in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 30th August 2009, 04:33 AM
  4. Scents of the famous - males
    By RugbyPete in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th October 2006, 06:18 PM
  5. Males Wearing Female Fragrances.
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000