Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How Come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?

Quote Originally Posted by psylence2k View Post

It would be stupid of me to say all men are complete extroverts or all women are complete introverts but there are definitely general tendencies that apply to both genders. We both know that there are sociological studies that have consistently captured certain trends, tendencies, and traits respective to each gender as well as scientific studies that show the chemical / biological differences between a male and female's body even down to their brain. There's clearly documented differences ( in general once again) between the genders in everything from the way we consume, select, behave, react, and so forth from as early as birth.

So being that there's been plenty of research done in both fields people are free to debate whether these differences are biological or sociological, being that there's a decent amount of research one could utilize to defend this argument from either side, but even if you are against the biological one, anyone can see that historically society has created gender roles and placed certain expectations and conditioning on each sex. I think to deny that has had a general impact would be naive.

At the end of the day, you can just ask yourself , are Men and Women the same in nature ?? I definitely dont think so , we can sit here and nitpick all the small little discrepancies, minute details, or less common exceptions, but I feel even an alien observing our race for a short period of time would easily see that each gender has it's "general" tendencies. I really hope no one thinks that I'm trying to pass on this concept as an absolute/definitive law applicable to each and every individual to a full and uniformed extent. That would be more so essentialism.
    This generalisation is getting dangerously close to a thread that was locked awhile back:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...-sensibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I guess, without wanting to sound patronizing, discriminatory or elitist in any way, Basenotes forums are merely the exception which confirms the rule, because outside of this virtual discussion&interaction forum, men in everyday life are either much less interested in fragrance or much less ready to admit if they are interested
    Men are usually the the ones to pick apart fragrances like one disassembles clocks and engines. Then again, some women like to pick apart things, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    The media and the market are on the side of "effiminate trait" men - just look at all the fashionable ads. Is men wearing colognes ok in the city and not in rural settings ?
    Again, the word "cologne" is a generalisation of all men's fragrances, even the eau de parfums and pure perfumes. Perhaps for rural men there is Davidoff Adventure, faced by a stubble-bearded Ewan McGregor and a motorcycle.

I don't think there is a generalisation that can be made about fragrance connoisseurship. Both men and women who are into fragrance are equally geeky!
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th March 2012 at 08:44 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I think men attack hobbies and projects with a different degree of intensity than women in many cases. We tend to get obsessed with things more easily and have the inclination to evaluate, analyze, and research things down to the last detail. It's the scientist/collectors in us (not that women can't fall under this umbrella of course, but these traits seem to be more prevalent among men, in my experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    This generalisation is getting dangerously close to a thread that was locked awhile back:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...-sensibilities
    I dont understand what you're trying to imply ??

either way I'm just repeating factual documented scientific research.

Blog Entries

The title of this topic says, "How come Males are more into Fragrance than Females?" This is making an assumption. When doing statistics it matters who measures, and how large the field.

There is no reason to get into each other's hair, and make the thread in danger to be closed.

I dont understand what you're trying to imply ??

either way I'm just repeating factual documented scientific research.
    I am implying that gender differences are relative and anyone can conjure up "scientific" evidence to shore up their conclusion.

Men and women cannot be pigeon-holed into this or that. Some women are indeed into fragrance as a hobby and might enjoy analysing things rather than spraying and uttering, "Oooh, that smells so pretty."'

Gender disparity discussions usually degenerate on BN. This discussion is no longer on fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Well, girls like perfumes AND jewelry, make-up,shoes, bags, lipsticks, hair products, clothes, cars, sunglasses, tea, talking bad things about men...
    This is a horribly sexist comment...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Plenty and plenty of generalizations ......
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I think men attack hobbies and projects with a different degree of intensity than women in many cases. We tend to get obsessed with things more easily and have the inclination to evaluate, analyze, and research things down to the last detail. It's the scientist/collectors in us (not that women can't fall under this umbrella of course, but these traits seem to be more prevalent among men, in my experience).
    I think this comment adequately answers the original question.....

Most of the other comments and views expressed here seem - to me - to be too complex and convoluted..... people are trying to make this question much more complicated than is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    And I love girls who like all that! Well, I like perfumes, cars, sports, clothes, shoes, watches, sunglasses...
    What about girls who are interested in lapel cuts, pocket squares, Chelsea boots, watch chains and waistcoats?

I did not say that the simple pursuit of perfumes as a hobby was negative.

I noted a hypothesis that a section of Basenote males have gone well beyond hobby and have entered the realm of OCD and object fixation/fetishism in their self-imposed relationship to fragrances.

Said fetishism is hardly indicative of all males. Thus, the attempt to portray Basenote men as generally representative of all males is foolish and ignorant at best.

More likely those making such grand claims concerning "all men" are denying their very own negative self-feelings. Such negative self-feelings are at the root of their grandiosity and fetishism.

I highlighted your text with which I have a problem : Is the pursuit of perfumes and the education that goes with that not fun and enrichment ? You make it sound like a symptom of something negative, like a "disorder".

Blog Entries

You have lost me. What you are saying is over my head. Sorry.

I suppose that anyone who is offended has to speak up for themselves, instead of my saying that I did not like the vibes you were making with your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am implying that gender differences are relative and anyone can conjure up "scientific" evidence to shore up their conclusion.

Men and women cannot be pigeon-holed into this or that. Some women are indeed into fragrance as a hobby and might enjoy analysing things rather than spraying and uttering, "Oooh, that smells so pretty."'

Gender disparity discussions usually degenerate on BN. This discussion is no longer on fragrance.

I agree, gender differences would have to be relative since you're comparing it to the other gender no ??

as far as the conjuring of scientific evidence, I welcome it, I have the articles and links to back up my claims, if it's something " anyone " can do then please by all means I would like to see evidence for the opposing side as I see it as a tad bit more credible than just giving an opinion which is alot easier for someone to do.

saying " I disagree, that's wrong " and leaving it at that with no explanation or backing is kinda useless to the healthy progression of the conversation, debate, or seeking of an understanding. If you disagree with something I say I have no problem with that as long as you're willing to step-up and give a good logical rebuttal.

What I'm confused about is to why people in here are acting like we're not saying " in general" , " more so" , " likely", and so forth, I dont think anyone actually believes that EVERY man acts the same and EVERY women acts the same, but are people on here trying to disagree with the notion that men and women are generally different in nature ?? and that some things are more commonly done by men and some are more commonly done by women ??

and this discussion was never really solely on fragrance but more so human behavior in relation to fragrance.
    Last edited by psylence2k; 21st March 2012 at 05:13 AM.

The above discussion sounds just like that endless thread on genders that was locked.

Maybe the mods need to move this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Let's talk about the elephant in the room!

Is being a man who is a fragrance lover seen in our society as an effeminate trait? Serious question.
    I don't go up to my "real life" buddies and tell eveyrone about my fragrance hobby, the way they can't stop telling me about things like their expertise in wine or microbrew beers, or collecting guns or expensive and/or vintage fountain pens, etc. This may be why a forum like Basenotes thrives and is filled with men. We can talk about this unique hobby/interest openly on these forums. This might be our only outlet for this passion for fragrance. Even my wife thinks I'm crazy constantly sampling and buying frags and asking her to smell them.

And I know there will be the expected "I don't care what other think about my hobby" or "whats wrong with effeminate" response...and I'm with you on that. But this is the society we live in. But I will not lie and say I don't keep this hobby private (maybe that's just how I am in general though).
    +1,000,000

Couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Basenotes is like an oasis for me, and I'm sure many other men who feel the same way.

Blog Entries

Basenotes and any other virtual Forum are widely visible. On the Internet. There is no "hiding" nor an oasis. Whether the Administrators move this thread, which tends to become controversial, or not - no matter ... The underlying issues remain the same.

My stand is - why argue, why fight ? Agree to disagree. Everybody can learn from the discussion. Not only learn, rather enjoy ... talk endlessly about your favorite passion ... the art of perfumery. Men, women ? No matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Correct - choose any hobby men and women are into and you'll always find men will take the interest into extremes, whereas women seldom will do that.

Kitchen knifes
    Watches
    Fragrances
    Clothing
    Food
    Designer furniture
    Cars
    Computers
    Hifi gear
    TV
    Astronomy
    etc. etc. etc.

Women are consumers and then producers, men are producers and then consumers....... a rough generalization, but some truth to it
    Very true. On BN, men discuss fragrances like wine, cigars, baseball teams, baseball cards, woodworking tools, John Deere stuff, etc. Fragrance with women is much more just an part of everyday life.

Great thread! I've been meaning to ask the same question.

I agree, gender differences would have to be relative since you're comparing it to the other gender no ??

as far as the conjuring of scientific evidence, I welcome it, I have the articles and links to back up my claims, if it's something " anyone " can do then please by all means I would like to see evidence for the opposing side as I see it as a tad bit more credible than just giving an opinion which is alot easier for someone to do.

saying " I disagree, that's wrong " and leaving it at that with no explanation or backing is kinda useless to the healthy progression of the conversation, debate, or seeking of an understanding. If you disagree with something I say I have no problem with that as long as you're willing to step-up and give a good logical rebuttal.

What I'm confused about is to why people in here are acting like we're not saying " in general" , " more so" , " likely", and so forth, I dont think anyone actually believes that EVERY man acts the same and EVERY women acts the same, but are people on here trying to disagree with the notion that men and women are generally different in nature ?? and that some things are more commonly done by men and some are more commonly done by women ??

and this discussion was never really solely on fragrance but more so human behavior in relation to fragrance.
    I think it is wrong to say all women behave one way or all men behave another. But it is also naive to think there aren't some general differences in the way genders tend to behave as a group, although much less than in previous periods. Hard to say how much of this is social conditioning. On BN, there certainly seems to be some strong group differences, e.g., most of the top reviewers are men and the most reviewed men's fragrances have been reviewed, on average, more than twice as often as the top female fragrances. Fragrances do seem to raise a lot of gender and gender identity issues for some reason.

In running focus groups for marketing, I was taught to always separate men and women. It sounds really sexist but the differences are just stunning. Also, women (not so much men) behave very differently when men are in the discussion than when the group is only female. I've been associated with both all-male and all-female schools and have seen striking differences there as well. It seems censorious to make such discussions off-limits.

I think it is wrong to say all women behave one way or all men behave another. But it is also naive to think there aren't some general differences in the way genders tend to behave as a group, although much less than in previous periods. Hard to say how much of this is social conditioning. On BN, there certainly seems to be some strong group differences, e.g., most of the top reviewers are men and the most reviewed men's fragrances have been reviewed, on average, more than twice as often as the top female fragrances. Fragrances do seem to raise a lot of gender and gender identity issues for some reason.

In running focus groups for marketing, I was taught to always separate men and women. It sounds really sexist but the differences are just stunning. Also, women (not so much men) behave very differently when men are in the discussion than when the group is only female. I've been associated with both all-male and all-female schools and have seen striking differences there as well. It seems censorious to make such discussions off-limits.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post

Very interesting.
    In what way did women alter their behaviour and manner in a discussion when they were in groups with females only compared to when they were in a discussion group with mixed genders ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Blog Entries

This may be material for a whole new thread. I don't have enough background to start it, perhaps somebody can launch it.

My two cents: In a discussion group with just females, women may be discussing anything in a sharing manner, like sisters, like pals ...
    Whereas, in a group where there are men present, a natural spirit of competition is raised, and one wants to outshine the other with her expertness in the field.

Moreover, when there is disagreement between the genders, the opinions get fortified, in an effort that each gender tries to emphasize the point from their side of view.

This may be material for a whole new thread. I don't have enough background to start it, perhaps somebody can launch it.

My two cents: In a discussion group with just females, women may be discussing anything in a sharing manner, like sisters, like pals ...
    Whereas, in a group where there are men present, a natural spirit of competition is raised, and one wants to outshine the other with her expertness in the field.

Moreover, when there is disagreement between the genders, the opinions get fortified, in an effort that each gender tries to emphasize the point from their side of view.
    You see something similar to this in focus groups. Put six female strangers in a room together and they will immediately look for common ground. They will say things like "isn't that great?" and "don't you love that?" or "You mean your fourth cousin twice removed went to the same school as my daughter's ex-boyfriend's elder half sister? What a coincidence!" If this goes well, you can get instant bonding. I've seen women in focus groups, total strangers two hours before, end up a session by making plans to meet for lunch.

Men, on the other hand, like to disagree and argue. They will tend display whatever status markers (money, education, job) they can come up with. One or two may try to dominate the discussion and others may defer to them. Another model is that the men will behave as if they were equals but will modify or play variations on each others' opinions.

Men and women can also raise completely different issues about the same product. For example, once I was involved in a series of focus groups for a new restaurant. All of the women's group discussed having healthy options on the menu and none of the men's groups even brought up the issue. They were only interested in taste, variety, and price.

In mixed groups, women often seem not to want to contradict the strong opinions of men unless they have a good reason to. So in a group discussing a political group, for example, a woman might strongly disagree with a man on women's issues and the other women may back her up. In general, women seem to feel much freer to speak when there are no men around. This is also true of all-female schools.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 23rd March 2012 at 02:29 AM.

simple... males want to smell good for the females.

I know women that have perfume but I do not know any that are "into" perfume. They tend to gravitate to clothing and makeup.

Also I sometimes ask women about certain fragrances that seem to win awards here on basenotes that are female frags. They all laugh and say smell nasty, gross, like an old lady, etc.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

It's cuz guys are friggin show-offs — you know, like exhibitionists.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Because the number of males that are willing to get on a computer and blather on and on about the same things over and over outnumbers females that are willing to do this by about 10 fold. In general for the most part in my opinion but of course this doesnt apply to anyone that reads this because you are completely opposite of whatever i just wrote and you are so special and unique and i love you and i agree with everything that you say and i like everything that you like
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I dont see it this way, but it seems here because its mostly probably males on BN.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Because the number of males that are willing to get on a computer and blather on and on about the same things over and over outnumbers females that are willing to do this by about 10 fold. In general for the most part in my opinion but of course this doesnt apply to anyone that reads this because you are completely opposite of whatever i just wrote and you are so special and unique and i love you and i agree with everything that you say and i like everything that you like
    lmao

I missed this discussion
    If it was not for women, this industry would have been long time dead

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    I'd say men are way more likely to geek out over a hobby - even if it's an "odd" one like perfume / cologne - than women.
    Plus 1+ Collecting and knowing your scents is exactly the same hobby as collecting wines, cigars, art pieces etc. Masculine per se cause women rarely have such hobbies\obsessions.

Quote Originally Posted by mangalor View Post
    Plus 1+ Collecting and knowing your scents is exactly the same hobby as collecting wines, cigars, art pieces etc. Masculine per se cause women rarely have such hobbies\obsessions.
    This is so sexist I actually laughed out loud.

Its almost 2014.

How can anyone openly say such a thing , with such complacency too.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Jamie B is right..
    Hedonist early post is right also..

Some guys here brag about there collection on here all day..
    Also some do come here for general information..
    But most likely we don't have friends that feel the same way about frag's so we come here to post,brag and chill..

I still think females in the States buy way more than men..
    Even if it's just some Bath & Body-most women wear something compared to most men..

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Men tend to use the Internet to discuss hobbies more than ladies.

Take a look at high end watch forums. Mostly men but their wives own as many watches as them but don't congregate online.
    This is the case for sure.
    (1805)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Women definetly wear perfume more than guys, but it seems that guys are more prone to becoming (haha idk obsessed?) with them (ie. everybody on BN). Why this is I couldn't tell you for sure, but I have some theories that have already been mentioned.
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

I am more into the technical aspects of scents than their allure, namely, brand, presentation, distribution (niche / designer / indy), history, etc. I like the chemistry behind them. I enjoy blending: it is like an abstract version of cooking.

Many are into this hobby due to its "vanity-related" aspects. In other words, I think this is a gender-unrelated topic, vanity is universal - unless you think men are prone at showing off as a sign of their virility, following the Freudian explanation for the demand of big cars.

Basenotes Plus

I has a little bit to do with men looking for an edge to approach a woman.