Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan Initial Review

Hello everyone, today I received my sample of Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan from the Perfume Court... I was very excited to try this fragrance.... applied some on my wrist and took a sniff!!! oh oh! I don't like this one that much... this smells like the Chinese medicine that my mom used to give me as a kid when I have an upset stomach... this smells like coriander with some Chinese herbal medicine... I'm so happy that I did not blind buy a big bottle... Overall Initial grade for Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan = 5/10

sorry folks, this is not my cup of tea....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan Initial Review

I like the ambre basenotes but not the kitchen spices in the opening.

Yeah I feel the same way. It smells like awkward mint. Like eating a weird foreign dish full of spices and then chewing gum. Bleh

I sampled this over the weekend and wasn't that impressed. I prefer Amber Absolute.

Yep, definitely check out Amber Absolute if you don't care for the herbs in AS.

I find Amber Absolute to share a similar dryness and character with Ambre Sultan, except it replaces the herbs with incense, giving it more of a smoky "just burned" quality rather than a "what's cooking?" quality.

Thanks for your input.

This is one fragrance i really like tbh, well made

I actually agree with you - very medicinal

Ok, now an hour and half later...the medicinal herbal scent toned down now... now I get a musky scent kind of like MKK now... not bad on the middle dry down, but the opening is not good at all...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I've tried Amber Absolute, MPG Ambre Precieux, and Ambre Russe. Ambre Sultan is my favorite amber fragrance by far.

Dependent

I agree in the spiciness of the overall top notes, but I think that's what makes it great.

Rating: 7.5/10
    "The most beautiful sea hasn’t been crossed yet. The most beautiful child hasn’t grown up yet. The most beautiful days we haven’t seen yet. And the most beautiful words I wanted to tell you... I haven’t said yet…"
    -Nazim Hikmet Ran

Ambre Sultan is not necessarily repetitiive. Meaning that at times, the oregano note in the opening that makes it so difficult is not always as present. At times it is just very spicy without so much of an italian kitchen vibe. When this happens it is wonderful. It is worth a few more wearings before making a final judgement.... That being said, Amber Absolute is a much better composition (for me anyway). It is richer. Smokier. Though I enjoy both a great deal.

I find it to be pleasant enough, but there are other amber scents I like better.

I have tried it only once but does anyone else find it pretty feminine in the beginning? The drydown it is more masculine

I do not find it to be feminine at all. Ambra Aurea -a little, amber114 -very feminine but not so much Ambre Sultan. It is very nice on a woman though.

This one is so much fun to wear. I was put off at first sniff but that herbal is what makes it for me. 8.5/10

Ambre Sultan is among my favorite fragrances. I didn't like it at first. Most Serge Lutens I didn't like at first and now I love many of them. Give them time.

I've only worn it a few times, and they weren't pleasant experiences. I might try again at a later time. To me, Amber Absolute blows this away.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I've only worn it a few times, and they weren't pleasant experiences. I might try again at a later time. To me, Amber Absolute blows this away.
    I own Sultan & Absolute. Sultan is superior imho.

I tried this at Aedes a few years ago just before flying back home. I sprayed a small amount on my wrist and at first I did not like it at all and went on to other things. Then on the plane I could not stop smelling my wrist with AS on it... if I could have inhaled my wrist I would have... I'm sure the people around me thought I was crazy or just very OCD.

AS has become one of my absolute favorite frags... top 3 for sure. Give it a second try sometime
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

I think the opening is the best part to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I think the opening is the best part to be honest.
    it is.

I think Amouage's Opus VI is similar but far better than Ambre Sultan. The amber in VI is much much drier and woodier, which goes well with the prominent bay leaf herbal element. Then, there is a floral that smells something like rose along with a wonderful incense note. Very dry and 'airy' in a way, unlike Sultan which is much thicker and almost suffocating.

If you like the idea of an herbal/dry amber, but just not the execution that you found in Ambre Sultan, check out Opus VI once it's available.

I liked Ambre Sultan at first, but decided that it just wasn't me.

A few years went by and now I feel comfortable wearing it. I tend to see it as an incense fragrance with amber and herbs. On me, it smells very much like incense.

I dote on the opening.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by DAX View Post
    I have tried it only once but does anyone else find it pretty feminine in the beginning? The drydown it is more masculine
    I love The Sultan and own a bottle. I have had comments that it smells feminine on at least two occassions whilst wearing it.
    Last edited by morrison74; 20th March 2012 at 07:42 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Sound Scents

I love it from start to finish. I find the herbal opening innovative and distinctively refreshing. Amber Sultan may not be my favorite amber, but it is definitely in the top 3 I have tried to date. Good stuff, IMO.
    Last edited by drseid; 20th March 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Yea, I actually hate this fragrance, it turned me off to amber for a while..the herbal was more than I could stand and after a few hours I actually felt sick. About the most unpleasant experience I've had with a fragrance.

More power to you if you like it though, I'm sure there's someone appreciating my bottle right now.

I hated this fragrance after first smelling it. I then proceeded to sample a few more times, fell in love and bought a bottle. Now I am out of love again. I always wants what I want until I get it then when I get it I don't want it anymore!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

When I went exploring the Serge Lutens line I was excited to try Ambre Sultan after seeing all the hype it gets. When I opened the cap I cought a very strong whiff of it and was thrown off. Surely this can't be it! I checked the label, it was correct, sprayed the paper which was now stained, and smelled it. STRONG! No way, not for me at all. I didn't even want to spray it on my skin. It reminded me of Amber Absolut, another fragrance i did not like. The ambers I do like are Bond's Amber and Kilian's Amber Oud. Both are much smoother than Ambre Sultan.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I love it from start to finish. I find the herbal opening innovative and distinctively refreshing. Amber Sultan may not be my favorite amber, but it is definitely in the top 3 I have tried to date. Good stuff, IMO.
    +1

I don't wear it very often though.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Mine was a rocky road to finally falling for this fragrance. I was afraid of it at first, then eventually craved it, bought a bottle, wore from a sample some more and became overwhelmed, returned the bottle, then couldn't get it out of my head, missed the smell, and bought a bottle again. Now I've landed on the side of really liking it; I just have to not stick my nose right in it all the time or it becomes overwhelming (particularly the dry herbs). When it's just a few sprays on my chest for the day, it's warm and comforting while still a little challenging and interesting, which I like.

Amber, patchouli and sandalwood with a hint of spices for me. I masterpiece in my opinion and my very favorite amber. A bit spicy and resinous and I love the myrrh, and it lasts a very long time. If it is not for you, that's OK. Works so well for me. One of Serge Lutens' best.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Amber, patchouli and sandalwood with a hint of spices for me. I masterpiece in my opinion and my very favorite amber. A bit spicy and resinous and I love the myrrh, and it lasts a very long time. If it is not for you, that's OK. Works so well for me. One of Serge Lutens' best.
    Agree with all of this. I love amber scents, and I've sampled many looking for the right one for me, and so far none have measured up to AS. A perfect balance of amysterious edginess with sensual softness.