Code of Conduct

Default M7 Oud Absolu ( first impressions compared to reformulation #1)

Hi, I received my Oud Absolu from eBay today. I've been wearing Oud Absolu for the last hour and a half or so on one wrist, and the first reformulation (from the clear bottle version) on the other. I am going to write my first impressions (I may write a more considered review later, if I think it will add anything or my opinion has changed at all). I have only put on one spray of each so it's just a direct comparison, not a fully fledged review at this stage. And, of course, the fragrance has not had time to go through its full progression yet.

Please note the first reformulation is a scent I am very familiar with, being the closest thing I have to a signature scent. I have decided not to compare much to the original vintage version, which I also own, because it seems to make more sense to compare to the first REformulation to see how much it has changed AGAIN. The first reformulation, among other things, removed the bitter, aggressive opening, so it was always going to be unlikely that YSL would go 'full circle' and replace the part of the fragrance already removed in the first reformulation.

So, with the 'vintage' put to one side for a second, how does Oud Absolu compare on first impressions to the first reformulation? Basically, Oud Absolu continues to occupy most of the same ground as the first reformulation. Whether you like this version will depend on whether you approved of the changes that were made, the first time around. Having said that, there is possibly one new change that has been made.*

Comparing the two from the get go, the first thing I noticed was that the sharpish fruitiness (mandarin) of the opening was stronger in Oud Absolu. This was very noticeable doing a direct comparison. It is however possible that with age the top notes of my bottle of M7 have faded, thus making the Oud Absolu citrus seem more pronounced in comparison.

Apart from that distinct difference, the two (Oud Absolu and the first reformulation) are actually quite similar in my opinion. As I sit here writing, the mandarin is starting to fade a little and the difference between the two is becoming more narrow.

Obviously the fragrance is still brand new (to me) and I will share any further comments I have after a few more wearings for a longer period.

No reliable way to judge projection or longevity yet, but I will say this: the sprayer on Oud Absolu is good, but I would estimate it puts out less than 2/3 the amount per spray that my bottle of the first reformulation does (the sprayer on that one is a monster). So Oud Absolu is going to smell weaker per spray, just because less juice is being sprayed. Having said that I haven't honestly noticed that much difference, but too early (and too few sprays) to be sure.

If you like the first reformulation I would definitely recommend you give this one a go. If you only liked the 'vintage' and were disappointed with the first reformulation, then chances are you will be equally disparaging about Oud Absolu. For what's its worth, I think it's still a good quality fragrance and, had this been the only version of M7, it would still be very highly regarded.

So there you go, just my first impressions, will share any more observations I have after a few more full-day wearings.

Cheers,

Dan.

* After two hours +, the two scents are becoming a lot closer to each other in the dry-down. it has been suggested the difference between the top notes of the two may be accounted for by the age-gap between them. My initial assumption was that the fragrance has been reformulated again, but both explanations seem possible. I can't say either way with any certainty because I only have the one bottle of first reformulation to compare to.
    Last edited by Dan J; 21st March 2012 at 11:58 PM.

Default Re: M7 Oud Absolu ( first impressions compared to reformulation #1)

Thanks for that great write up Dan. Much appreciated

I actually think I am tempted to buy a bottle of Oud Absolu now. I love the first reformulation. I do like the idea of mandarin being ampted up. I have a sample of Oud Absolu, but somehow cannot detect too much difference ( like you) with the first reformulation. That being said, I am not 'spraying' the vial. And actually, I have noticed that makes a difference in how I perceive the top notes.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Very interesting, thanks. I wonder if the greater citrus is due to the relative newness of the juice. In which case it could just be a re-badging...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Thanks for that great write up Dan. Much appreciated

I actually think I am tempted to buy a bottle of Oud Absolu now. I love the first reformulation. I do like the idea of mandarin being ampted up. I have a sample of Oud Absolu, but somehow cannot detect too much difference ( like you) with the first reformulation. That being said, I am not 'spraying' the vial. And actually, I have noticed that makes a difference in how I perceive the top notes.
    Thanks! I'm not the best at judging notes by any stretch of the imagination, but I definitely got the mandarin coming through at the top, loud and clear. Other than that, there are more similarities than differences, at least that I am able to notice. As you say method of application can influence your perception, along with size of spray, skin chemistry etc. Maybe my original bottle has weakened at the top with age, I don't know how likely that is. I think if you liked the first reformulation then you will appreciate this one too...
    Last edited by Dan J; 22nd March 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Very interesting, thanks. I wonder if the greater citrus is due to the relative newness of the juice. In which case it could just be a re-badging...
    I would hazard an opinion that they have tweaked this, at least a little bit. My bottle of the first reformulation is 2009 I think, so it's not that old.

Thanks for that thorough review! Ive been wanting to try this out badly, but each time I'm about to order a sample, something else gets in the way, plus the prices are not bad.

Thanks Dan. Excellent review!

Dependent

Thanks Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I like the idea of more mandarin. Even a 2yo bottle could suffer from loss of top citrus however, meaning the difference in top note formulation could be less than you're perceiving.

Can't say for sure 'cause I only have the one bottle to compare with. For as long as it has been in my possession it's been well-protected from extreme heat changes etc. If it's true that the top notes/citrus can mellow in that time period then that may be what has happened. Oud Absolu just seemed slightly more polished and sharp in that respect, whether that's down to reformulation or the age of my bottle can't say for sure. Regardless, it's still very nice!

Thanks Dan.....This is Excellent!!!
    Gary

Thank you for your impressions.

Thanks for this detailed write up.

Luckily for me I have and love the vintage version. Seeing as it's so strong and I've got about 99ml left, I imagine it will last me a couple lifetimes!

I really should check out either absolu or the original reformulation though, because there are many days and occasions where the vintage M7 is just too much.

The reformulated is a very nice substitue for the vintage. Unless they're side by side, it's hard for me to tell the difference. I'll use the reformulated more liberally and save the vintage for special occasions.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    The reformulated is a very nice substitue for the vintage. Unless they're side by side, it's hard for me to tell the difference. I'll use the reformulated more liberally and save the vintage for special occasions.
    I definitely get a subtle difference between all 3. Vintage = darker, reformulation = softer, Oud Absolu = fruitier. How much this is due to the relative ageing of the first two I can't be sure. Perhaps they all are very close and ageing has just 'matured' them. Assuming they all smell as they should, I'd actually give the edge to the first reformulation as being the most widely enjoyable - just!