Code of Conduct

Default SMN Sandalo - gold foil label v. new bottle design

Hey all, I have a question about Santa Maria Novella's Sandalo. I have a bottle in the more recent bottle design and was greatly disappointed. It smells too herbal/medicinal with the eucalyptus overpowering the sandalwood, which even that smelled more like a dry woody variety. I was wondering if anyone's tried it from the older bottle design, the ones with the gold foil label and if there's any difference. My guess is that there isn't but who knows. Perhaps Sandalo once had a creamier sandalwood note?
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: SMN Sandalo - gold foil label v. new bottle design

Coincidence: I tested (on a paper strip) the Sandalo this weekend when I was @ the LAFCO boutique and I thought the same thing. Very sharp, medicinal, thin wood notes - not as substantial as I expected it to be, at all. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: SMN Sandalo - gold foil label v. new bottle design

Quote Originally Posted by cbstarker View Post
    Hey all, I have a question about Santa Maria Novella's Sandalo. I have a bottle in the more recent bottle design and was greatly disappointed. It smells too herbal/medicinal with the eucalyptus overpowering the sandalwood, which even that smelled more like a dry woody variety. I was wondering if anyone's tried it from the older bottle design, the ones with the gold foil label and if there's any difference. My guess is that there isn't but who knows. Perhaps Sandalo once had a creamier sandalwood note?
    I've never given it a full wearing, but I've tested this scent on paper strips a number of times (since early 2009, which I think was shortly before they changed the bottles). As far as I'm aware, it's always been "herbal/medicinal with the eucalyptus overpowering the sandalwood". I think the reviews on BN back this up too.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion