Code of Conduct

Default Le Male? Love the scent. But the bottle!?

So there is an elderly professor emeritus at our school who teaches Ancient and Modern Greek. Lovely man. Very continental. Old world. And he ALWAYS smells nice. I've always been afraid to approach him and ask him what he is wearing. The man is in his eighties and I'm not sure he'd consider it polite. Well, anyway, I asked one of his close students what he wears.

"It's Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male."

"Really? The bottle is just so...juvenile."

"Well, it is what it is."

So I go and buy a sample of Le Male. Sure enough, that's what it is!

I like it, actually. Very barbershoppy. Reminds me of Floid Vigoroso. However, I just can't seem to make myself BUY it. The bottle just screams tacky. Maybe I'm just vain like that. And I'm wondering what possessed a 80 year old man to buy it. Maybe he is better than I am. I tend to judge perfumes by their bottles!
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: Le Male? Love the scent. But the bottle!?

Quote Originally Posted by Texican View Post
    I tend to judge perfumes by their bottles!
    Don't.

Yes that bottle and the things they do in the name of art.lol

Sur la Plage

I love the bottle, but dislike the fragrance inside of it. But I do not purchase/judge fragrances based on the bottle it's the juice inside that matters.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I like the bottle design. It's pretty unique, although it has been copied (badly) a few times since it's release.

Jeez, you don't wear the bottle, you wear the fragrance. Maybe the professor is not offended by the male form? After all he teaches ancient Greek. I would suggest getting over the phobia of the bottle shape...sigh.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Jeez, you don't wear the bottle, you wear the fragrance. Maybe the professor is not offended by the male form? After all he teaches ancient Greek. I would suggest getting over the phobia of the bottle shape...sigh.
    It isn't the form of the male body that I'm offended by. I just find it a bit kitsch. It would be like finding out my ninety year old grandfather had a bottle of Candies for Men sitting on his dresser. Doesn't offend me. It just isn't something that I associate with people who lived through the 1940s and 1950s when I would associate it with people from my generation who were born in the eighties.

Scent, like art, is in the eye (or the nose) of the beholder.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

I like Le Male as well, and actually like the bottle for its uniqueness. But if it's that big of a deal, you could just go buy Perry Ellis 360 White, which smells very similar and comes in a cylindrical shaped white bottle.

Ah, I get it! It's an age expectation. Still, it's just a bottle. Not all of us old guys are stuck in time...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I know what you're talking about OP. For many years I haven't even sampled Le Male because I thought the bottle was a joke.
    Recently smelled Le Male and I love that scent.

At this point the bottle is iconic. Just get over it and buy the juice if you love it. I recently did!

Also don't bother getting a Le Male clone just because you don't like the bottle design! You'll regret not having "the real thing" which is the juice.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    I like Le Male as well, and actually like the bottle for its uniqueness. But if it's that big of a deal, you could just go buy Perry Ellis 360 White, which smells very similar and comes in a cylindrical shaped white bottle.
    It isn't a bit deal. In fact, I've gone ahead and bought the fragrance online. I'm just surprised, I suppose. It is one of those little things about this hobby that keeps confirming to me that scent is a very personal and intimate thing, not to mention subjective.

For all this time I thought he was wearing some expensive, old world aftershave. It is a scent I associate with gentility and charm, right up there with Mouchoir de Monsieur. And it turns out to be in a pretty modern-looking bottle.

I dislike the bottle too.

However, I think I just read something about it being available in a flask now. Problem solved if true.

Like others have said, you don't wear the bottle!!

Putting a fragrance down because of it's bottle is as illogical as buying a fragrance for it's bottle irregardless of the scent.

Juice>Bottle.

That's not to say that some bottles aren't fantastic!!

And I'm wondering what possessed a 80 year old man to buy it.
    Maybe he spent too much time reading the 'Which scent gets you the most female compliments?' thread...?

I am in my late 30s and have a bunch of very expensive niche scents in my collection (after getting into the niche world about a year ago). I discovered Le Male only recently and LOVE the scent. Bought a bottle.

Wear what you enjoy! I had same hesitation about Le Male but not as much due to bottle but rather the popularity of the scent (loses exclusivity knowing everyone else is wearing it) and the hatred this scent gets from basenotes. I got over it when I realized how awesome it smells to ME.

What does it matter what bottle look like? That's irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Maybe he spent too much time reading the 'Which scent gets you the most female compliments?' thread...?
    I am not sure. Could be. I think he's a widower.

But probably either a) A closet basenoter or b) He's classy enough to go to a department store, have all the bottles laid before him, and he sniffs and buys what he likes. or c) A younger relative bought it for him so he wears it.

I think b is probably most likely. Or a. He does dress like Jean-Paul Guerlain a little bit. And reminds me of him. Without the whole racist comment thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    Nah. Otherwise he would be wearing Aventus. But then again maybe he's another one of those Creed haters!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/296...-Le-Male-Flask

Here's the upcoming flask. Win-win.

It isn't the form of the male body that I'm offended by. I just find it a bit kitsch. It would be like finding out my ninety year old grandfather had a bottle of Candies for Men sitting on his dresser. Doesn't offend me. It just isn't something that I associate with people who lived through the 1940s and 1950s when I would associate it with people from my generation who were born in the eighties.

Scent, like art, is in the eye (or the nose) of the beholder.
    How about buying an atomizer ?

I quite like the bottle* (esp the Fleu du Male version without stripes). Just a bit of fun.

*unlike the one of Kokorico.

Get this bottle. Same juice.

While I like the bottle, it would not do alone in order to convince into buying this scent

If you can get over this bottle, you can get over any !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    But I do not purchase/judge fragrances based on the bottle it's the juice inside that matters.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Yeah. Agreed. Though I think I have been spoiled by my bee bottles of Mouchoir de Monsieur and Imperiale.

Dependent

usually the juice is all that i am concerned about. if the bottle looks good, thats just a bonus
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

I'm indifferent about the bottle. It's not my favorite, it's not my least favorite. It holds the juice and has a decent atomizer.

You could always buy the limited edition flask they are releasing, and you won't have to see the torso in your collection. (which I'm debating on doing)
    Last edited by killerloop; 21st March 2012 at 07:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Well there ya go.....If you want to smell like an 80 year old man then buy it : )
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I've always said that the Men's juice needs to be in the bottle shaped like a Women!!!

The fragrance is very good!!!

Gary

I don't like the juice nor the bottle.

I remember opening it on Christmas and both of my brothers just kind of looked at me. "What's with the bottle? Looks kind of gay."
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

The bottle might be tacky for some, but my guess is that the elderly individual purchased it for the way it smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    I remember opening it on Christmas and both of my brothers just kind of looked at me. "What's with the bottle? Looks kind of gay."
    LOL

I like the scent but I'll be replacing the bottle with a flask-if i can find one

I like the bottle, hate the juice...no homo.

Banned

IT'S THE JUICE, THE JUICE THAT MATTERS !!!

I am not sure. Could be. I think he's a widower.

But probably either a) A closet basenoter or b) He's classy enough to go to a department store, have all the bottles laid before him, and he sniffs and buys what he likes. or c) A younger relative bought it for him so he wears it.

I think b is probably most likely. Or a. He does dress like Jean-Paul Guerlain a little bit. And reminds me of him. Without the whole racist comment thing.
    Does he wear dresses to school?
    I think the bottle is perfect JPGaultier. I am sure he would be very pleased to know that 80 year old teachers are wearing his fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Does he wear dresses to school?
    I think the bottle is perfect JPGaultier. I am sure he would be very pleased to know that 80 year old teachers are wearing his fragrance.
    No. Just lots of tweed. Expensive suits. Etc.

If you like the smell of it, there are plenty of things things that smell like it (sort of) in different bottles. There's a knockoff by Cuba called Gold or something like that, and then there's Reflection Man by Amouage, and also some offering by Profumum called Antico Caruso that's supposed to be quite similar.

Of the three I've only smelled the Amouge, but found it repulsive. But I also hate Le Male, so there's that. Most others around here seem to think that it smells good. The other fragrances also come in more ordinary bottles, save the Cuba, which looks much tackier.

The dude is 80 and is sportin' Le Male. I've got to wonder what this old guy gets up to in his spare time!