Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Chergui or Serge Noir?Which is more oriental?

Just smelled both on the samples i was delivered and i am confused.i want a classic oriental perfume and i want to know which one fits better and resembles the arab guy
    more

Default Re: Serge Lutens Chergui or Serge Noir?Which is more oriental?

Neither. I don't think I understand your odd question, anyways. From the men of arab descent I have been around, some smell like .....all kinds of fragrances. I guess it would just depend on who that person is and what they wore that day.

By the way, since when are Chergui and Serge Noir considered "...classic oriental perfume..." ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I agree, Ambre Sultan is closer to a true oriental than either of these two.

With that said I am a massive fan of Serge Noire. I don't wear it often, but there are certain occasions where it is the only obvious choice.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I agree, Ambre Sultan is closer to a true oriental than either of these two.

With that said I am a massive fan of Serge Noire. I don't wear it often, but there are certain occasions where it is the only obvious choice.
    One thing that surprises me is how many reviews are completely disgusted by Serge Noire. I certainly did not think it was that bad. And while it is not something I want a full bottle of, it is pretty decent fragrance. I guess I was perplexed that so many people found it revolting.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Serge Noir is pretty rough.

Default SL Chergui or Serge Noir on a man?

Well the question applies to those of you women who have smelled both on a man

Well yes they are both considered oriental

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution View Post
    Serge Noir is pretty rough.
    You are not helping my argument !

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    One thing that surprises me is how many reviews are completely disgusted by Serge Noire. I certainly did not think it was that bad. And while it is not something I want a full bottle of, it is pretty decent fragrance. I guess I was perplexed that so many people found it revolting.
    It actually surprises me too, many reviews are quite outspoken on their disgust for Serge Noire while I really like it. In fact it's by far my favourite out of the Lutens fragrances I've tried. But hey, that's just how it works...

Go with the Chergui, unless you want to smell like a homeless guys rotting feet mixed with onions.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Chergui

Serge Noir is not my tipe of f. , realy don't get it !

Default Re: SL Chergui or Serge Noir on a man?

Both.

Chergui is a wonderful but so is Noir.
    DONNA

Default Re: SL Chergui or Serge Noir on a man?

Depends on what he prefers.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I like them both but favor Chergui

They're both good.

for swap/sale:

I prefer Chergui, but both are quite good. Serge Noire may result a little harder to stomach, but you could easily fall in love with it after a few tries.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After the initial nutmeg? blast wears off, Serge Noir becomes transcendental on my skin, and lasts all day long. This fragrance surprised me by the amount of compliments it garnered. I had purchased a sample from TPC, but now I am considering a full bottle. I have not tried many SL fragrances, but -apart from MKK- this is my favorite thus far.

I also don't get the supposed nastiness that Serge Noir is supposed to possess either. Smells like a spice heavy oriental at first blast, and smooths out in about 45-60 minutes just fine. It's always smelled good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Go with the Chergui, unless you want to smell like a homeless guys rotting feet mixed with onions.
    Vivid....agreed, Chergui is better.

True!

Im trying to convince myself to try SN again..........
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

My first reaction when I tried Serge Noir was 'bad joke'. It actually felt sinister to me - foul, messy, just incomprehensible. I remember reading Tania Sanchez review and agreeing completely with her - a mess.

But this had happened years earlier with my first exposure to both Mouchoir de Monsieur and Mitsouoko (believe it or not) so I couldn't help but wonder - as I came to really respect and enjoy both of them. Then I noticed Diamondflame waxing eloquently about it and a year or so later I gave it a shot. Just a small spritz.

Very different. I suspect it's because I had experienced more frankincense and deep balsmasmic stuff, but I could appreciate the blast of burnt spice and herbal top and smoky, ashy base and found it quite intriguing. I haven't bought a bottle - there was a free Lutens 'tube' on offer way back with a purchase but I chose Ambre Sultan instead - I wish I had taken the SN because the 15ml would be perfect.

It's not for everyone but my take on this is that a wider exposure to other stuff made it easier for me to 'get' what is going on in SN. I like it, now - I think it's a brave, ballsy piece of work with no compromises for 'the general public' and that alone is refreshing in this day and age.

So - Diamondflame, merci mon ami

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Vivid....agreed, Chergui is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    True!
    I guess I don't want to know how and where you guys spend your time to make an association like that...

I think they'r both good. Chergui is more oriental to me but SN more "resembles the arab guy" I guess....

I think you should just go with whichever you prefer the smell of.

Chergui to my nose.

Both are great. I find Serge Noir to be a perfectly tame incense fragrance, nothing outrageous, nothing screeching, just plain comfortable and even pretty office-suitable.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

From the two Chergui is the more oriental. Serge Noir is like sitting next to the fireplace on a cold, snowy winter day (it even somehow physically warms me) - not a typical arabic picture I guess.

But to "resemble the arab guy" you would need something sweeter than Chergui I presume.

I'm one of the few people on here who dislikes Chergui. I've tried it several times, but there's something about it that makes me a bit queasy. I love the burnt spices of Serge Noire, though!

Serge Noir is one of the most horrible things I've ever smelled.
    Chergui is lovely though...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    It probably has something to do with Turin/Sanchez's bashing of it. While I do think it has a harsh, bitter quality, I find it appealing in certain situations, and I have gotten a lot of compliments on it. I think it is one of the few SL that can be worn at night in the blistering heat and humidity. It is my next-to-last Lutens based on frequency of use (least used being Douce Amere) so maybe that does rate it lower in my book, but it's not god awful by any means.
    Last edited by runstile; 23rd March 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    ..........i want a classic oriental perfume and i want to know which one fits better and resembles the arab guy more
    Serge Lutens has made a lot of orientals but you might as well try these first. All of them are based on the classical orientalist style:

Chergui
    Ambre Sultan
    Fumerie Turque
    Arabie
    Borneo 1834

I wouldn't consider either Chergui or Serge Noir to be orientals, and I'd best most basenoters would agree.

Chergui smells miles better than Serge Noir to my nose. I'm not disgusted by Serge Noir (it's not in the same league as Musc Kublai Khan), but don't much care for it.

I think all of Pluran's suggestions in the post above mine are worth a sniff. That's a good selection.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks Mr R, for your kind words. I guess Serge Noire is something of an acquired taste. Not everybody gets it. But that's ok, really. If everybody likes it, it would'nt be 'niche' anymore, would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm one of the few people on here who dislikes Chergui. I've tried it several times, but there's something about it that makes me a bit queasy. I love the burnt spices of Serge Noire, though!
    I'm not a fan either. It is raspy, powdery, and synthetic to me. Almost reminds me of someone inhaling a tablespoon of baby powder and then coughing while sitting next to a bucket of dry amber smelling solvent. I can stand it once it's into the dry down, but before that I don't like it.

I've never smelled Serge Noir so I can't really compare the two. My next order from aedes will include a sample of it though and I'll update if this thread is still alive.
    Last edited by Smells_Familiar; 24th March 2012 at 02:16 AM.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top