Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Is Green Irish Tweed really similar to Cool Water?

Hello guys,
    I was just thinking of buying a Green Irish Tweed bottle, and since where I live there's no way I could get a sample, I tried Cool Water and... hated it.
    It smelt VERY synthetic to my nose.
    So.. my question is, am I going to hate GIT as well? does it smell that synthetic/metal?

Thank you!

Default Re: Is Green Irish Tweed really similar to Cool Water?

Very likely. To be honest man, when I first bought GIT I was a bit surprised by how much hype it gets. It's nice, it's just not THAT nice. I can't help but think that maybe you're falling into the same trap. There's no reason whatsoever to buy this if you don't like it just because a bunch of people on basenotes are saying it's good. There are other Creeds that are quite nice, maybe there's a way to sample those?

The modern bottles of Cool water are very synthetic and have an appauling bleach like quality (the quality has dropped significantly in the last 10 years) Thankfully Green Irish Tweed is nothing like this and if you pick up a 2011 bottle you'll be faced with a vibrant fresh smelling fragrance with a virtually unparalled violet note. The concept of the top/opening notes are similar but they are a class apart in exectution and ingredients.

When the Green Irish Tweed drydown is in effect its a great experience that Cool Water (and the vast majority of fragrances) simply can't compete with.
    Last edited by Kron; 23rd March 2012 at 09:22 PM.

I have heard many people say it, but I don't see it personally.

To me there is a similarity, but the Creed is better blended and doesnt smell synthetic

Basenotes Member

I first became acquainted with GIT and thought it was a great fragrance. Them after taking the advice of others I purchased a bottle of Cool Water thinking that I would get the same exact fragrance of GIT as a fraction of the cost. I have no idea what others were referring to. CW is a pale shadow to GIT while CW smells synthetic and, dare I say dull, GIT is really a crisp well blended fragrance.

Sound Scents

I think there are definitely similarities with the original vintage Cool Water juice. I prefer and own GIT currently, but the vintage Cool Water I maintain was a great scent and I went through my bottle with no regrets during my teen years.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

There is a vague family resemblance between Cool Water and GIT because they had the same father. GIT is, I find, much more refined and sparkling, a quietly energetic scent, while Cool Water definitely has that over-exposed, drug store scent feel, ultimately pretty inert though not unpleasant smelling to my nose. I agree it smells pretty synthetic (not always a bad thing) while GIT is just the opposite. I was never exposed to the vintage Cool Water, however.

I would never put GIT and Cool Water in the same class, though or think of CW as a substitute. They are essentially very different scents aimed at different markets and noses.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 23rd March 2012 at 11:33 PM.

If you like the overall smell but not the synthetic/headache inducing feel then I think GIT would be a good frag for you

i see very little resemblance and that too because i really concentrate...GIT reminded me of fresh cut grass whereas cool water reminded me of spicy aquatic water

Similar? Yes. Do they smell the same? No. GIT smells very fresh, lush and green without even the tiniest hint of synthetic notes. It smells damp, like a rainy day in a green valley. Cool Water does not have that fresh green smell. It smells like GIT scented cleaning supplies. It's a nice scent, but nowhere near the quality or scent of GIT. That being said, GIT is totally overrated and I will not be buying a replacement bottle if mine ever runs out.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

GIT smell similar to a bottle of Cool Water from 1992.
    You should test before buying though.

GIT doesn't smell that great and it's definitely not worth that much. Same with Millisime Imperial.

I put on my sample from Neimans today. Although I'm no expert I was old enough to remember what cool water smelled like when I was in junior high and there is definitely a similarity. However tweed calms down much better and has a better sweet scent IMO .

Glad I tried it. I wouldn't own more than a decant as it will be just a good change up for me.

Double post
    Last edited by Robinoso; 1st June 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Cool Water is very synthetic. I didn't want to believe the Creed hype either and GIT was the first full bottle Creed blind buy and I don't regret it. I use to wear Cool Water and the first about 5 seconds reminds you of it but after that its a whole new ball game. I was wearing this one night and a waitress at a club kept walking by me just to smell me. The longevity since it is a natural and not synthetic fragrance is kind of short being about 4 hrs. but it is the greatest 4 hrs. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

Basenotes Plus

To the OP and anyone curious about this comparison, please use the "Search" function. It's in the upper right corner of the screen, just under the Facebook and YouTube icons. I entered the words "Green Irish Tweed Cool Water" and got the following "About 7,170 results (0.27 seconds)"
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    Cool Water is very synthetic. I didn't want to believe the Creed hype either and GIT was the first full bottle Creed blind buy and I don't regret it. I use to wear Cool Water and the first about 5 seconds reminds you of it but after that its a whole new ball game. I was wearing this one night and a waitress at a club kept walking by me just to smell me. The longevity since it is a natural and not synthetic fragrance is kind of short being about 4 hrs. but it is the greatest 4 hrs. Definitely worth it in my opinion.
    GIT is, in fact, mostly synthetic and built around a set of artificial materials. Many people believe that there are high quality, all-natural scents out there but this is mostly a myth. Modern fragrances are built on synthetics because they are longer-lasting and more reliable, though not necessarily less expensive.

I have a bottle of Green Irish Tweed, and it smells great, but I also have a bottle of cool water, that smells just as good. They are very similar, but they also have a good amount of differences. Personally I bought cool water after GIT just because I like collecting colognes, but whenever I'm complimented on GIT, I'm asked if it's cool water. If you're a collector who loves frags grab some GIT, if you're just trying to smell good in an affordable price range, stick with cool water.

I cannot stand Cool Water!

I was at sears the other day and they had some testers out. I tried a couple sprays and the whole time I had it on I couldn't wait to get home to wash it off. It smelled like detergent/bleach/etc.

I never have smelled GIT though, so I don't have any input on that

I own and enjoy both. Having said that, I only ever felt they were similar the first time I smelled GIT. GIT is much more complex, has a greener opening, and absolutely amazing drydown. However, I could only start to fully appreciate it after trying it for the second time. Then I knew I had to buy it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Similar? Yes. Do they smell the same? No. GIT smells very fresh, lush and green without even the tiniest hint of synthetic notes. It smells damp, like a rainy day in a green valley. Cool Water does not have that fresh green smell. It smells like GIT scented cleaning supplies. It's a nice scent, but nowhere near the quality or scent of GIT. That being said, GIT is totally overrated and I will not be buying a replacement bottle if mine ever runs out.

Spot on about the comparison, would consider a replacement if not for the 1000s of other scents of interest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    The concept of the top/opening notes are similar but they are a class apart in execution and ingredients.
    This ^^^^^

In my opinion, not that similar. Sure, the first impression may be almost strikingly similar, but apart from that, GIT has, at least to my nose, various layers more of complexity, smoothness and herbal spiciness.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    GIT smell similar to a bottle of Cool Water from 1992.
    You should test before buying though.
    Yeah! The new Cool Water is a little bit different. It's better to try first. It's not a cheap fragrance to blindbuy.

Yes, the opening is very similar but the drydown is another world..CW is much more linear!! GIT is far superior!

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    Yes, the opening is very similar but the drydown is another world..CW is much more linear!! GIT is far superior!
    I agree with this^^^

Double post

Banned

arthurmoraes , how did the story end? Did you buy it? In my opinion everything what counts is wether you think they smell similar and wether that bothers you. I for myself won't deny certain resemblances (note that it was the same perfumer who did Cool Water and GIT) but they never caused the need to fight this out for me. Meanwhile I said "Goodbye" to both, as CW isn't the same anymore and GIT is, like most Creeds, a very unstable juice, depending on the bottle you get.

A lot of BNers will tell you it's different or how much better the dry-down is, which is true, but...

You have to take note of the amount of people who have said they received compliments from people asking them if it was Cool Water. That should tell you how similar it is. I love the smell of GIT and it is of course better quality, but to the average person (non-BNer), they will always think it's CW. That's the only thing that's holding me back from buying it, I just don't want to be mistaken for wearing something so outplayed, and it's bound to happen.

GIT is completely different than cool water. For the first 5 minutes there are similarities but then it just goes into a word of its own and beautiful strong violet notes start coming through
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed Cedre Blanc
    2. Tom Ford Costa Azzurra
    3. Bond no 9 Montauk
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

You are just asking for trouble with this thread