Code of Conduct

Default Hermessence Poivre Samarcande Question

This just might be the best smelling fragrance of all the testers I got from The Perfumed Court. However, it's not very powerful... I really need to sniff my arm to smell it. Does anyone here use it, and if so, how many sprays do you think is necessary to get any projection? I'm thinking about getting a bottle, but if I have to use ten sprays a day (I used three, one on each arm and one on the back of my neck, and again, it's barely noticeable), it might not be a very good value in the long run.

Default Re: Hermessence Poivre Samarcande Question

Poivre is over 70% iso-e super, which some people can't smell easily, some not at all. Most people get olfactory fatigue very quickly from iso-e, so it can play hide-and-seek... you can't smell it for a while, they you get a whiff here and there...

Also, the Hermessence line frags are really paired down, transparent and minimalist. They are not meant to have a strong presence so spraying heavily in an attempt to make the smell more substantial is defeating the intention of these frags.

It will help to spray a hit on your shirt as well as your body.

I use 7 sprays on my chest, and 1 on my neck. Works fine :-)

Just to clarify, my idea of the perfect level of fragrance is when someone standing three feet away can smell it, but someone who is standing four feet away can't. I'm getting the impression that this might be more along the lines of "Only wear it if you're 100% positive the girl on the other side of the table will eventually have her nose somewhere on your body." Am I far off?

Quote Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
    Does anyone here use it, and if so, how many sprays do you think is necessary to get any projection?
    I have it and for me three sprays do the trick.

Liked it enough to order a bottle... I'll experiment and find the best amount. Thanks, all!

also try less, and/or further away from the nose, if you can't smell it anymore after a while. because of adaption (olfactory fatigue). less can be more sometimes. it won't be as strong a blast initially, but you will be able to still smell it later on.

try one spray on the wrist, see if this works. if not, the next day one on each wrist. still nothing? try three sprays on the wrist.

iso e super is not very loud, but very diffusive stuff; so projection should be no problem. and poivre samarcande does smell like a lot of iso e super.

This one doesn't really last for sure. It does smell good and it truly morphs as it cooks on your skin.

I would say that pretty much all of the Hermessence line fragrances are pretty light. You have to bear in mind that Ellena is at the controls here. My final verdict on these is that the only one I really truly like a lot is Osmanthe Yunnan. It is extremely subtle, but I get excellent longevity out of it.

For a couple of years I have been trying to fine something I like as well as Issey Miyake Le Feu. Not the 'light' but the original which was very peppery and not in the least sweet...at least to my uneducated nose. At the fragrance counter mostly everything smells way to sweet and maybe because I was a tomboy since childhood I just prefer the scents for men as the women's are usually way too sweet smelling. I always loved the smell of the leather saddles and the horse barn. I am wondering if this Poivre Samarcande might be the replacement for my beloved Le Feu?

From the Hermes sample, I dabbed 4 times and it barely lasted 3 hours.