Code of Conduct

Default Snobby SA's at Boots etc

Hi.
    Sorry if this question is rather silly but I can not hold it any longer.
    Every time I go to the likes of Boot's , Debenhams, House of Fraser etc, the SA's always seem so snobby.
    The way they seem to talk down to people and just act so up their own backside. Top that of with way to much make up.
    I have had SA's put down some of the most classic fragrances ever created and tried so hard to sell me Kokorico , Le Male so forth.

Ok they have sales to make, they are told by managers what to push that day. I however just do not understand how a retail worker can be snobby. They do get paid minimum wage / slightly above it. So why act so " up the social ladder " ?

Just annoys me.
    Top 10 at the moment:

1.Kouros
    2.Terre D'Hermes
    3.Fahrenheit
    4.Creed Royal Oud
    5.Eau Sauvage
    6.Dior Homme Sport
    7.Creed Bois du Portugal
    8.Givency PI
    9.Dior Homme
    10.Ralph Lauren Polo Blue

Default Re: Snobby SA's at Boots etc

Imagine being stuck in a job you hate.
    By the way they have to wear that much make up.
    Its not justified but it's a reason.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    By the way they have to wear that much make up.
    Yes, I recall a big news story last year about a gal in England who lost her job because she was not adhering to the policy of wearing full foundation, eye makeup, etc etc. I was dumbfounded.

Nevertheless, a smile goes a long way in making sales over an attitude of "get out of my deptartment, I'm too busy being disdainful to assist you"
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I know what you mean I was once told in boots that there is no such thing as Egoiste by Chanel only Platinum Egoiste. I just laughed inwardly knowing I knew better.

They always magic away fragrances that are not in their selection. Mugler Cologne? Oh yes, that one was discontinued...can I direct you to something similar?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maitiu View Post
    So why act so " up the social ladder " ?

Just annoys me.
    Insecurity perhaps?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I love snobby SA's. I feel free to be rude with them...it's so liberating

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I love snobby SA's. I feel free to be rude with them...it's so liberating
    Ditto. I give it right back.

Its nice to have permission to be rude to others. I don't make pre-emptive strikes, but they usually warrent my rudeness when they are rude first. I like to see it as my way of teaching them a lesson.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Its nice to have permission to be rude to others. I don't make pre-emptive strikes, but they usually warrent my rudeness when they are rude first. I like to see it as my way of teaching them a lesson.
    Absolutely! I'm usually very nice with SA's but I can turn into a pain in the arse if someone act undeservedly snobbish or rude.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Rude, condescending, and mean spirited people whether they are fragrance SAs or not are simply not worth my time nor respect.

The problem is each month they have staff meetings and are told to push whatever like mad. Sales figures rule, your job could be at risk if the counter loses sales etc. So you might get the hard sell.

I have been told Egoist is discontinued in the likes of Boots. When I know its on very limited release where you can buy in the UK. The its discontinued usually means that store does not sell it, but buy this from us instead. I have known some sa who will tell you try House of Fraser etc quite openly if they don't stock it.

The ones in Belfast don't diss other perfumes or brands, well not that I have noticed. Well one temp who it seems moves from store to store is well known for grabbing customers away from something and telling them. "No, that is not you. This one is a real knicker dropper!" Hence she has not taken on as a full time member of staff in any of the stores.

And yes company rules dictate they must wear the brand products makeup etc. Because of the lighting in stores(you are a guy so might not notice this), it is very draining. I go in with full makeup on and look like I have nothing on,or a cast member of the Walking Dead usually. So the staff have to go heavy and darker in colours to stand out. Some guys on the cosmetic counters even have full makeup on too.

Oh and never ever let them talk down to you
    Last edited by donna255; 25th March 2012 at 09:01 AM.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I know what you mean I was once told in boots that there is no such thing as Egoiste by Chanel only Platinum Egoiste.
    I had the exact same experience. I've had Boots SAs become really pushy quite frequently "yes we know that's what you're looking for but try this."

I had it in House of Fraser too when I asked about M7 and they tried to get me to buy AMen as a substitute.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Wow, I've been really lucky - the SAs in my local Boots are really friendly, even if they can be a bit clueless. They also leave me alone if I'm just sniffing.

The YSL women at House of Fraser do have the classic bored, "I can't believe you're wasting my time" attitude. I wouldn't be rude back to them--I don't think there's ever permission to be rude--but I have no problem thanking them and telling them that I'm going to go and buy this item in a shop where the SAs don't act as though serving customers is an inconvenience.

I usually buy my scents from Douglas (when I don't purchase online) and though the SA's there indeed wear a bit too much makeup, they never acted too snobby with me, they were quite helpful and quick to react, but without pushing/persuading me into buying the hyped new releases

Dependent

Imagine being stuck in a job you hate.
    You have a big, big heart my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    You have a big, big heart my friend.
    It comes with an on/off button.

for swap/sale:

It comes with an on/off button.

Hedonist, I do love your sense of humour!

On the subject of snobby SA's, not that terribly long ago, a sister-in-law of mine went into Holt Renfew in Calgary looking for a Chanel perfume, I believe it was, and was told by the SA, " we can't help YOU here at all". Now this is a well dressed woman of some means, ( and I should add she's a pleasant woman! ) although she seldom goes into Holts. I was thinking she should have demanded to see the manager, but she said she was too stunned to do anything. They have certainly lost her business. I have to say though, I rather doubt that SA is employed there anymore. That's just way above and beyond the call of duty of being a snotty SA....

I find SAs very variable but the ones in Frasers, Boots, Debenhams around where I live are all fine. But then I live in Yorkshire, where people are straight-talking and won't put up with any nonsense - if they're rude, they won't get sales. My impression is that boutique SAs have the greater reputation for arrogance, but some I have met have been utterly delightful (Hermès boutique in Amsterdam, Chanel at the Wynn Las Vegas and Chanel at Heathrow T3). I find the SAs in middlebrow stores (Harvey Nicks, Selfridges) to be the worst, and then I'll just vote with my feet.

Devilcat I have found the SAs in Harvey Nicks in both Leeds and Manchester to be helpful and delightful. Admittedly Selfridges in Manchester were less so but maybe that I was ladened with Harvey Nicks bags was the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Devilcat I have found the SAs in Harvey Nicks in both Leeds and Manchester to be helpful and delightful. Admittedly Selfridges in Manchester were less so but maybe that I was ladened with Harvey Nicks bags was the cause.
    Really? Funny how our experiences could be so different. I've only been to the HN in Leeds, and I found them quite stand-offish. Still, I'm sure if I stopped dressing like a tramp and putting my purchases in a Netto carrier I'd get on much better (my husband's advice)