Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I've had Terre D'Hermes for three months without any female compliments. Anyone else experience

This one is tricky for sure! I have this situation: my GF loves it and it's the only girl that complimented it but I don't like it that much maybe because I have the EDP version, which is a bit too dry for me.

Default Re: I've had Terre D'Hermes for three months without any female compliments. Anyone else experience

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Doesn't this ring any bell?
    It should. In fact, I was straight before I started wearing TdH. Now I'm a happy gay man.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The OP's situation doesn't surprise me with TdH. It's a nicely done scent and captures a pleasant woody-ashen effect that is truly modern and masculine . . . yet isn't the least bit sexy. It's like it's a little too modern-smelling to come across as rugged and manly, and a little too ashen and grey to feel lively and impulsive. Whatever middle ground it treads isn't ground young ladies would cover.

Quote Originally Posted by swasson09 View Post
    but for three months to go buy without ANYTHING?! What is going on here?
    If it makes you feel any better, no girls have complimented me on Aventus and according to the Most Complimented Frags thread, it's supposed to be #1.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

The only female to compliment me, while wearing TDH, is my mother. She won't stop saying how good I smell. Needless to say shopping for my Dad's birthday will be easy this year. Women my age like AHS.

Same for me, only compliments I get are from my gf, because I blather on all day about my recent fragrance addiction. Tdh is definitely a scent one wears from him or herself.

I have to chip in here and say that TdH is my most complimented fragrance from any gender, primarily females.

I have been stopped in department stores before, on board planes by air hostesses (see my reviews of both versions I the fragrance), at work and of course by my gf who famously told me she poured it in her bed when I was away so that she could get the feeling that I was there with her.

I must say I am not that fond of the EdT these days, perhaps because I've worn it so much lately, but I still keep a bottle along with the Parfum. Both wonderful fragrances, quite sensual and suited to year-round use.

My other most complimented are Acqua di Parma Colonia and closely followed by Aventus (although I don't wear it that often).

Just my tuppence worth...

Calling all sarcastic BN members!
    Just wear it cuz you like it. Let the ladies buy their own perfume to enjoy. However I get all kinds of compliments from chicks with mine.

I've received compliments from TdH.

One from my female coworker. One from a lady I'm getting to know.

And lastly one from a 10 year old boy. Lol as soon as he walked in he said you smell good. This was the most impressive because he was able to detect the orange note...and he said that it smelled like fresh earth (imagine my surprise that he basically used the term earthy). Lol I was highly impressed with the lil fellas nose.

The first day I ever wore it I got 3 compliments within my first hour at work.

Since then, none, except for my girlfriend who loves it. Then again, I apply a lot lighter these days, so that could be why. I used to put on 8 sprays. Now I go for about 2 or 3.

I get complimented on a regular basis with this one and never on Aventus yet.

I get more compliments on voyage than terre but still a great fragrance

But then again, I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment. Compliments are just a bonus. Haven't had a compliment on MiP but love it to death.

I agree with the comments in the thread that you shouldn't expect a woman to verbally compliment you on your scent.

Many women are just too shy, and don't want to be so forward.

A better way to judge fragrances is by how many women grab you by the crotch and throw you down to the pavement as they tear your clothes off with their teeth.

With Terre D'Hermes it should happen at least once daily, and I usually either get back late from lunch or miss the kid's T-Ball game. On a good day, I'm late for both.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Ladies have a taste for sweet mass produced designer frags on gents.
    Only a select few of the lovely looking fairer sex actually have the right good snobby taste for the more acquired frags like I.E. Terre D'Hermés and the likes (no pun intended)
    Agree with these sentiments. Many women will prefer a "safer" fragrance that is more widely used by men, too.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    I agree with the comments in the thread that you shouldn't expect a woman to verbally compliment you on your scent.

Many women are just too shy, and don't want to be so forward.

A better way to judge fragrances is by how many women grab you by the crotch and throw you down to the pavement as they tear your clothes off with their teeth.

With Terre D'Hermes it should happen at least once daily, and I usually either get back late from lunch or miss the kid's T-Ball game. On a good day, I'm late for both.
    Hahaha nice! But one thing is for sure, action speaks louder words. You dont need a compliment sometimes
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Temple12 View Post
    My guy friends like it a lot and actually comment on it, but I have yet to get a single compliment from a female. I knew I wasn't buying a lady killer at the time of purchase, but for three months to go buy without ANYTHING?! What is going on here?
    Too good to be asked about.

Unlike what certain commercials would have you believe, women really DON'T tend to mention what perfume you're wearing, whether we happen to like it or not. (Now, we may involuntarily wrinkle our noses...)

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I get complimented on a regular basis with this one and never on Aventus yet.
    Lol

Oh for goodness sake, forget the #'$@, For 25 years I've worked with lots of females and dread the moment they apply a top-up spray- It invariably smells like fly spray- women in general exercise no taste when wearing a frag for work. Case in point- I asked a SA why do women buy anti-perspirants containing cheap perfume and then apply another perfume on top- she just looked at me blankly????

A lot of girls will compliment a fragrance JUST to talk to the guy wearing it. Not because they like it...they just want to get a conversation going.
    You can wear Aventus (sorry, I had to) and have a cold personality, chances are you wont get any compliments.
    You can wear Grey Flannel, have a warm and inviting personality, and chances are you will get complimented on it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Not one compliment? Perhaps TDH does not suit your particular skin chemistry. Definitely move on to something else IF compliments are what you are after.

I'm with the women in your life. Whilst crafted and competent I'm part of an apparently minuscule minority of males who don't think this scent is particularly worthy of compliment. Try something a little, well, more... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    You can wear Aventus (sorry, I had to) and have a cold personality, chances are you wont get any compliments.
    You can wear Grey Flannel, have a warm and inviting personality, and chances are you will get complimented on it.
    Especially since Grey Flannel is better than Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    Maybe it's not the fragrance.....
    I never get compliments from anyone about my scents. I dont think people are often moved to comment on it as much as just a reason to talk.

TdH has 55% Iso-Super E, so if you can't score with that either you've got a bad batch or need to get Molecule 01
    by Escentric Molecules, which is 100% ISo-Super E.

You won't be able to smell it and the cost is prohibitive--that's a fancy word 'prohibitive' rip-off is more like it--but who can argue against a menage a trois with two babes? Well . . .I was married at the time but I'm a firm believer in the spiritual saying: Feel the guilt and do it anyway!

Still, it kept gnawing at me. Why should I have two women? There are people in India who are horny and can't even get one.

Stick to what you like to smell on yourself, don't overdose and be a hunk.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Since my inital post I have only received 3 compliments from TdH which was from, my mother, brother an older lady maybe in her 60s. She absolutely drooled over how good it smelled.

I made my brother a 2.5mL sample, he wore it but said that it was too strong for him......

I've noticed that with this fragrance initially I don't care for it myself, yet in about hour 5 or 6 I really love it.
    Last edited by frostyicy; 3rd December 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Spray more on and keep adding until they comment on it.

Your problem might simply be that it's wrong for you. Things become fashionable, and many people will want them, and certainly those selling it will want many people to buy it. That doesn't necessarily mean many people should.

Others in this thread have talked about wearing fragrance for your own enjoyment. I appreciate that. For myself I don't simply have one reason for owning fragrances. Some I buy because I like the bottles, some because I simply want to own them as they may be linked to a certain memory, some I like to wear at home which smell good to my nose. Some I think smell good on me to others noses. However when I am treating fragrance like an element of my personal style (as opposed to a form of entertainment) I try to make sure it fits my personal style.

I've worn Le Male, Azzaro Chrome, Chrome Legend, GiT, Cool Water, Fierce, ADG, and most other fragrances which are reputed to draw copliments as well as many which were hyped up in a big way on BN or elsewhere. If only to use up a sample or 30ml bottle. However with the exception of a few these scents don't suit me, and for that reason they don't have a positive effect. Sometimes it can be like wearing a particular garment or pair of shoes because it's in fashion even though it clashes horribly with everything else in your wardrobe.

Fragrances I do get complimented on? These vary so widely. So many people see aquatics as safe scents, sure to draw compliments in the right weather, but the only scents with any aquatic note I've worn which have made any sort of impression are Molinard Homme III, Sandflowers (Montale); Annick Goutal's Vetyver and Desire Blue, and only Desire Blue and Sandflowers out of these have ever attracted actual, direct compliments.

Far from Aventus, ADG, or anything else popular. The most complimented fragrances 'of the moment,' for me are La Roue de la Fortune from D&G's anthology series, Azzaro's Jetlag and Molinard's Homme II and Vanille Marine. Hardly a line-up of super-masculine scents. Nor are any of them especially popular or well regarded as compliment getters.

My most complimented scents overall are probably Sables and vintage Givenchy Gentleman, but I've been wearing both for a long time, wear them quite frequently, and both are very strong, distinct scents that people tend to notice, whether for good or ill, and the ill tends to come in fairly equal measures. Particularly with Sables. I'm not telling you to go buy those fragrances. However I am saying that if you want to seem stylish and noticable to the point where people compliment you for it, by way of perfumes, the solution might be a little more complicated than simply buying those fragrances which everyone is saying you should buy. Especially online as you can't really find out about the person submitting the review or making the suggestion. They may be your polar opposite.

Buy aventus and you will have

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by pav View Post
    Buy aventus and you will have
    Right on queue...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie