Code of Conduct

Default Bought Zirh Ikon - Blown Away!

This was a bargain blind buy for 25 bucks for 125ml. Just gorgeous fragrance, smells incredibly expensive, think Bulgari Extreme meets Burberry London (If London had any Longevity). Ikon has great longevity, good projection, all around class. This is something that smells like it belongs with a suit and tie.

Let's do a brief note breakdown, Cinnamon, cardamom, citrus and I get a bit of caraway, just a well blended spicy top gives way to a very clean almost soapy fragrance, as mentioned this stuff with a Chanel badge would go for triple the price. Absolute bargain, not worn commonly and would make an incredible signature scent.

If you find it, definitely pick this one up and support Zirh who clearly deserve kudos for making a fragrance of this quality

Default Re: Bought Zirh Ikon - Blown Away!

Glad you like it. Personally didn't care for it at all.

Perfumania has it on CLEARANCE for $12.99 !!!!!

The bottle design alone justifies the money for this one.

...fourteen in a dozen and very cloying...!

I think it's one of the best recent releases at its price point. I have a bottle and enjoy it when I wear it.

yeah it's a good bargain at those clearance prices. It's full price was $50 or 60 odd dollars but it didn't really sell, probably because its not on-trend and zirh doesn't have the brand identity to sell fragrances at that price. IMO the packaging is very well done and I wear the scent often.

Dependent

Got my bottle for $15. The bottle is cool and very dudical with the magnetic top! This is the best cheapie for sure. Don't forget the most prominent note after the cinnamon... MASSIVE PATCHOULI ... would like the juice even drier but it's a fun one for sure. I like to layer it on itself through the day so the patchouli increases. Great as room spray too.

I was very enthusiastic when I bought it and immediately posted about it here - there's nothing quite like it to my nose.

I wear it quite a lot, but on me - despite its longevity - it doesn't project all that much.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Got my bottle for $15. The bottle is cool and very dudical with the magnetic top! This is the best cheapie for sure. Don't forget the most prominent note after the cinnamon... MASSIVE PATCHOULI ... would like the juice even drier but it's a fun one for sure. I like to layer it on itself through the day so the patchouli increases. Great as room spray too.
    Worked great as some wonderful holidays time room spray for me a few years back.

Athey were clearing these out for $10 (125ml) at a local perfume store ( I paid the princely sm of $14 for mone and so felt ripped off LOL).

I sprayed some on a few hours ago (ankle sampling). There is a "brightness" to it that almost suggests aldehydes, though it doesn't have that metallic quality. I get a kind of creamy, spicy, sweet/citrusy aspect with a woody/incense underneath it that gets stronger over time as the creamy aspect gets weaker. If you smell it up close on the skin, though, you can smell the creamy aspect for quite a while, it seems. One thing it lacks is what I call "body," which requires something like oakmoss. Last time I wore it normally, I didn't like the woody/incense, which feels "cheap" to me, and I wish it felt fuller. I can understand why those unfamiliar with the vintage greats would like this one, though. I prefer Tobaco Latino for a similar woody quality, because in that one the tobacco note lasts a long time so it doesn't get boring, and I think it's got a bit more body.

UPDATE: I really don't like what I guess is the cedar note here. It gets stronger and stronger over time, and a lot more irritating. And there is nothing else to act as a counterpoint (everything else is a lot weaker).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th January 2012 at 11:06 PM.

It's truly niche in a bottle. Domination of clove,incense and cinnamon, with that "rubber" smell. The rubber is what makes it so unique imo.. Best of all, they pulled it off without making it sweet or cloying.

Banned

somewhat lacking depth, but for the price, can't go wrong ...

One of the worst scents I ever put to my nose. Not as repulsive as Drakkar Noir but not really good either.

i like the top notes, its nice to spray on, a nice burst, the base is good but doesnt continue for long, a real grower, though a 'smells like cheese' comparison i read on bnotes really hasnt helped my appreciation, in spite of this, one i enjoy wearing, and spraying a lot, since it cost me next to nothing...

In other threads, Zirh Ikon has been compared favorably to both Gucci PH and Dunhill Edition. It is far less expensive than either of those, I'm still on a grad-student budget, and I'm not averse to inexpensive scents. Nonetheless, I'm not quite prepared to buy it blind and no-one around here seems to have testers...

im going to get shot for saying this but it has a similar vibe to poivre 23 by le labo, less sweetness on the drydown, and doesnt last a 10th of poivre, not nearly as good, but similar - ish...its so cheap on ebay right now.......definitely worth a punt..

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by postthispostthat View Post
    i like the top notes, its nice to spray on, a nice burst, the base is good but doesnt continue for long, a real grower, though a 'smells like cheese' comparison i read on bnotes really hasnt helped my appreciation, in spite of this, one i enjoy wearing, and spraying a lot, since it cost me next to nothing...
    Hm I don't get cheese at all.

You may be underapplying -- the atomizer on my bottle only spritzes a little at a time. I'll do 5-10 sprays of this one to get all day longevity.

After a delicious open, I get a wonderfuly rich frankincense drydown that almost overpowers everything else but the cinnamon, but not in a bad way. Smells like Catholic mass from my childhood.

Good stuff!
    Mark K

Blog Entries

Bought this one today for $10 (4.2 oz) at Perfumania. Happy to have Zirh in my small, but slowly growing collection.

I'm starting to wonder if this scent wouldn't have done a lot better had it been a niche scent. I think it was probably too different to strike the right chord with the regular fragrance buying public.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if this scent wouldn't have done a lot better had it been a niche scent. I think it was probably too different to strike the right chord with the regular fragrance buying public.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Ya probably. But, Zirh isn't really marketed that well. I recall an era of their men's facial products being all over Dillard's, I dunno much about now. IMO Ikon and Corduroy are both outstanding scents with poor marketing. Zirh original isn't too bad either, but I prefer darker scents for sure.

I'm going to have to revisit this. I got a lot of a fresh, almost metallic note - what I think may have been dihydromyrcenol - that detracted from my enjoyment of the scent. Other than that aspect though I really liked what I was smelling; it just felt greatly cheapened by that fresh note.

I recently sampled Ikon in a drug store and found it to be somewhat reminiscent of Aramis Devin. Which is not a bad thing by any means, but Devin is a finer fragrance and it's not prohibitively expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
    I recently sampled Ikon in a drug store and found it to be somewhat reminiscent of Aramis Devin. Which is not a bad thing by any means, but Devin is a finer fragrance and it's not prohibitively expensive.
    That's interesting. Devin's on my list of things to try, so how does it compare to Ikon? I got a bottle of this for about $10, but it hasn't been cool enough to really give it a good sampling. I seem to recall there was a lot going on and caught a bit of that metallic note that SOS mentions. Is Devin also like this?

Dependent

I don't catch much relation between the two. Devin is much greener, and full of birch tar, while Ikon is spice and patchouli.

Ikon is a very "nichey" type of scent. A very different type of scent.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Ikon is a very "nichey" type of scent. A very different type of scent.
    I like scents like this. The composition and conception are nichey, but the materials smell quite simple and inexpensive. I would not call it elegant! Fun stuff. I have a feeling it will get discontinued and go for $100 a bottle in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I don't catch much relation between the two. Devin is much greener, and full of birch tar, while Ikon is spice and patchouli.
    The top notes are rather different, but the basenotes are close. I didn't make the connection at first but on the drydown it was like, "this smells like something from the 70's that I already own but I can't quite put my finger on it".

If you look at their official notes they actually have quite a bit in common:

Aramis Devin

Zirh Ikon

I bought the gift set 4.2 oz with deodorant stick for $11.99 today at Perfumania. It's not too bad. Smells like Arber from the Body Shop. Like wood and pencil shavings.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Update: It's actually a lot nicer than I first thought. After 30 minutes it has a very nice cinnamon smell and it gets spicy. Can't attest to longevity yet, but as far as smell goes, this could pass as niche.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I need to give this another chance. I bought it a month or so ago for ultra-cheap ($4), and after it arrived I sprayed it on my arm and almost immediately decided to get rid of it. Haven't given it away yet, however, and with the bottle istill languishing in my basement perhaps I should try it out again.

Banned

Zirh Ikon will shine in the cooler weather of the fall and winter.

Zirh Ikon by Zirh - One is initially treated to a zesty lemonade. Tart and tangy lemon interplays with davona flower, with its sweetly fruity aspect, and cardamon, with its mildly spicy, anise-tinged facets. Ginger sprinkles the melange with its peppery, lemony and green character. Transitioning to the heart, the citric brew succumbs to the darker aspects of the scent. Labdanum infuses its resinous, myrhh-like and slightly leather-like facets, commingling with a raw, spicy cinnamon as well as clove buds, with their charred wood and smokey aroma. An undercurrent of a citrusy, pine-like frankincense and earthy, green vetiver adds to the mystical aura, and flows to the base. Here, a rich amber alters the accommodating frankincense, which has come into its own, to a darker character. And, an almost creamy cedarwood intermingles with a balsamic patchouli, which imparts its earthiness coupled with camphoraceous and mossy nuances. An inviting drydown ensues. This manly composition is well blended, and challenges the domain of niche. A fall and winter scent, this spicy and dark fragrance has good projection, a 2-3 hour, scent cloud, and longevity, about 8 hours. Given its inexpensive price, it is a welcomed addition to one's fragrance wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    It's truly niche in a bottle. Domination of clove,incense and cinnamon, with that "rubber" smell. The rubber is what makes it so unique imo.. Best of all, they pulled it off without making it sweet or cloying.
    I absolutely agree with this

I own this and agree with those who think highly of it. I think Ikon is great, but the things I love about it are very similar to why I love Dirty English, except DE seems rougher around the edges... and, for this kind of scent, I prefer the roughness. I own both but haven't tried directly comparing them side by side yet. I realize they're different, but when I reach for this sort of scent, I can already tell I'll go for Dirty English.

I'll probably swap away my bottle of Ikon.

I already have DE and like it....should I pass on Ikon even though it's dirt cheap? Are they different enough to own both?

Didn't like it when I tried it some years ago.

I thinkive got a sample of it, if I'm of mistaken I remember felling rather...underwhelmed

I love it. It's my sotd.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Amerioca da Gema View Post
    I already have DE and like it....should I pass on Ikon even though it's dirt cheap? Are they different enough to own both?
    They're not that similar imo. DE is about wood while Ikon is spice. Ikon is considerably sweeter and is cinnamon-dominant, while DE is cypress-dominant with a touch of calone. (I dislike DE for this calone; otherwise I would have liked it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Amerioca da Gema View Post
    I had a bottle of DE and although I loved the scent the longevity issues killed it for me. Imo Ikon took everything wrong with DE and made it right. I get atleast 6-8 hours with Ikon where I was only getting 3-5 hours from DE. Where DE quites down Ikon soars and stays edgy. For me, I got rid of my bottle of DE but when I seen Ikon at tjmaxx I quickly jumped on it. I will say there is nothing wrong with having both bottles because although they are similiar they both take different turns from the midnotes to the base. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    I thinkive got a sample of it, if I'm of mistaken I remember felling rather...underwhelmed
    You took the words right out of my typing fingers.....

I never understand why people have this sort of justification and use the term "niche quality" with designer scents. When I sample fragrances, I don't stair into the horizon, squint my eyes and say "Yes...you truely are a niche quality scent".
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I never understand why people have this sort of justification and use the term "niche quality" with designer scents. When I sample fragrances, I don't stair into the horizon, squint my eyes and say "Yes...you truely are a niche quality scent".
    Hehe. In addition, despite the fact I like it, Ikon does not smell niche at all to me. It's obvious that the formula is cheap -- I wouldn't be surprised if it's 100% synthetic. Making something that smells good with that type of budget is a real accomplishment though.

I recently picked up a 75 mL of this for $8, and I'm quite pleased. I'm surprised at how smooth it is (well, on my skin), although it is a bit light.

On another note, Kevin's review of Ikon at NST mentions layering this with Infusion d'Homme by Prada...I was curious if any of you had tried this? I'm still playing around with the proper ratios (his one Ikon to three IdH doesn't seem to work for me), so I can't comment too much on how they smell together.

Both seem to share notes of iris, cedar, vetiver and frankincense.
    http://soundcloud.com/lovejon

I purchased this as a blindish buy. At the price, I just couldn't resist. I remember I tried this out when it first came out to pretty mediocre feeling, it has a certain sophistication which I simply couldn't resist. At first it reminds me exactly of Body Shops Arber, but the smokiness afterwords is amazing. Very well blended, modern rugged masculine. I love it. Great bottle and sprayer too!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

for all the Canadians out there that might not visit Winners, its always popping up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Versailles View Post
    for all the Canadians out there that might not visit Winners, its always popping up there!
    I've seen it there a few times too, but cheaper on FragranceX, I got my 75mL for $12!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think so too. The right niche house would know how to market a scent like this.