Code of Conduct

Default I finally got the chance to try Creed Aventus at Neiman Marcus

Ok, I have wanted to try Creed Aventus forever...and today I had the chance to try Creed Aventus and it reminds me very much of Creed Himalayas mixed with Nautica Voyage... it has that clean soapy smell and that apple scent from Nautica Voyage...over all it's a nice scent... but for $200 for a bottle... I doubt it for now...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I finally got the chance to try Creed Aventus at Neiman Marcus

First post before the onlslaught of attacks and agreement posts. This is a change1 thread, therefore will somehow get 60 posts easily.

Remember people, you can only be a Creed humper or Creed hater. There is NO in between.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

It's a good unique fragrance with good longevity. Of all the Creeds it's the only one I think is actually really worth it.

If you like Aventus but don't want to pay those prices, Zara's Gold and Sprint 9.58 are close enough, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

All I get is a smokey sweet pineapple... it's unique IMO because nothing else in my wardrobe smells remotely close to it.

Not my favorite Creed but I like it and glad I have it in my collection.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I savaged Aventus in my basenotes review. But really, I'm kind of neutral on it. It smells uninspired to me, and at times synthetic. But it does have some good points, too. The blackcurrant is interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not my favorite Creed but I like it and glad I have it in my collection.
    I agree, it's a great bottle in my collection.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Aventus smells like quality fruity scent but for the price ill take nautica voyage.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the opening, but it is downhill from there for me. Not a good one from Creed, IMO, but I have smelled much worse...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Ok, I have wanted to try Creed Aventus forever...and today I had the chance to try Creed Aventus and it reminds me very much of Creed Himalayas mixed with Nautica Voyage... it has that clean soapy smell and that apple scent from Nautica Voyage...over all it's a nice scent... but for $200 for a bottle... I doubt it for now...
    I don't get any "soapy smell" from it at all...it smells quite unique to me.

I'm definitely a fan, I think it smells great!!

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus humper here! Even though i am unable to read what the OP wrote i thought i would give my useless opinion that Aventus is great. If it was in a bottle with a pointy gold top, cost twice as much and came in a velvet bag, it would be hated less.
    Also do not get Zara Sprint as it is a copy of Paco Black XS and no where near as good as Aventus.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

I have this, Love this, and I'm glad I have this in my collection!!!
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure if it matters but the sample I got from Bergdorf Goodman is weak compared to the one I got from Nieman's. I can smell the Niemans sample without putting it under my nose.

I like Aventus, so I purchased the 2.5oz tester from FragranceNet last month. It is strong and long-lasting on my skin. Happy I pulled the trigger on that deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus is just about the safest scent in my wardrobe. I wouldn't pay retail but splits are definitely worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

The best Creed. Smell, Projection, Longevity, it has it all.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    First post before the onlslaught of attacks and agreement posts. This is a change1 thread, therefore will somehow get 60 posts easily.

Remember people, you can only be a Creed humper or Creed hater. There is NO in between.
    LOL

I'm neither humping nor hating, nor in between. I'm just here because of some mysterious Force, to help make sure that the change1 thread goes to >60, since this is a mathematical certainty. *cue Twilight Zone music*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL

I'm neither humping nor hating, nor in between. I'm just here because of some mysterious Force, to help make sure that the change1 thread goes to >60, since this is a mathematical certainty. *cue Twilight Zone music*
    My theory is that he puts a dollar in a jar for every thread he starts. Then at the end of the week he buys a bottle of Creed or Serge Lutens with the money.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

For 200 bucks, I doubt it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Also do not get Zara Sprint as it is a copy of Paco Black XS and no where near as good as Aventus.
    Sounds like something a Creed rep would say! LOL. I've tried all four (including the two Zaras), and for me Black XS is unwearable, due to its harshness. It's also has a different predominant fruit note (a strawberry kind of thing rather than pineapple). I did a side by side with Aventus and Zara's Gold, and they were nearly identical to me. I wonder if I sprayed Gold and Aventus on two different people and had those people walk by a Creed lover. Could they tell the difference? I don't think so !

Post Thanks / Like

Having just recently tried it myself, I love the freshness wIth the pineapple note, far superior longevity and projection than Himalayas too. Colleagues in the office were pretty impressed with it too, definitely has a place in my summer line up...just need to buy a bottle or bigger decant now.

My favorite Creed and if the price-tag is what's stopping you from enjoying it, you can get a great deal doing a split here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Eh, I'm in between on Creed. More of a hater because of their dubious history and general averageness of their perfumes, but they make a super fantastic 5* fragrance (MI) so I'm in between.
    Aventus though...hmm...it smells like a little smoky too-sweet pineapple juice which has begun to turn bad in the fridge. But since it falls in the general citrus-fresh-aquatic column of course my girlfriend is unable to not like it.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    The best Creed. Smell, Projection, Longevity, it has it all.
    Yea! + its unique. Cant really find another like it
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Aventus was OK, but not my favorite Creed by far. I don't think this thread is going to make it to 60....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I like it but not enough to purchase.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

One of Creeds best in my opinion. Huge projection and longevity - plus I adore the notes and what they smell like combined.

I do note that this is my first Creed, and probably the fragrance that sparked my interest for this hobby - so call me biased as hell. It has made me sample alot, and pick up several other Creeds I really love, as well as a cute and tiny amount of other frags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like something a Creed rep would say! LOL. I've tried all four (including the two Zaras), and for me Black XS is unwearable, due to its harshness. It's also has a different predominant fruit note (a strawberry kind of thing rather than pineapple). I did a side by side with Aventus and Zara's Gold, and they were nearly identical to me. I wonder if I sprayed Gold and Aventus on two different people and had those people walk by a Creed lover. Could they tell the difference? I don't think so !
    But Bigsly, I gotta say - the similarity is all in the fruity topnotes. Which we all know you hate! What about the base? Personally, I find Aventus has a much nicer base (and that's the part I like - the smoky birch, and especially early on when the blackcurrant is sharpening it up). The Zara smells good enough to get an impulse buy out of the store, but that base just gets left in the dust fairly soon, in my opinion. Too soft for me, without going full-tilt powdery or anything that's at least more well-defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Renard View Post
    But since it falls in the general citrus-fresh-aquatic column of course my girlfriend is unable to not like it.
    He-he-he-he-he. I love the way you said that.

I may not exactly be an Aventus fanboy, but I simply have to admit that this thing charms the ladies in an obvious way. Makes me wonder if this stuff got focus-grouped. No law that says Creed or its anonymous "less-than-master" perfumers can't do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    One of Creeds best in my opinion. Huge projection and longevity - plus I adore the notes and what they smell like combined.

I do note that this is my first Creed, and probably the fragrance that sparked my interest for this hobby - so call me biased as hell. It has made me sample alot, and pick up several other Creeds I really love, as well as a cute and tiny amount of other frags.
    Hey, that's great! I can see it - Aventus is something of an ideal fragrance to get people interested in the hobby. It has a lot of popular appeal, but it's still somewhat off the mainstream. No reason to ever deny your first love, in fragrance or anything else. Creed has been good for me too, even though it's probably not my absolute favorite house. I think that, once I found some Creeds that I liked, I really got deeper into things. It didn't work for my first main "love house" (that was probably Hermes, Bulgari, or TDC), but it helped me define what I liked and didn't like. And Creeds are fun to analyze, because a LOT of people are smelling them, so there's a lot of opinion.

BTW - welcome to Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like

Creed aventus is definitely one of my favorite fragrances. Awesome longevity, average sillage. Amazing scent

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of the scent, but there is no denying it is very popular and a compliment getter. I think the strong projection contributes to it, and the fact that it's unique and a manly scent.

I love this fragrance and glad I own it!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

I rather like Aventus myself, and I find it superior to Zara Gold. To a undiscerning nose like mine, I can differentiate the two: Zara Gold is harsher, with the notes of bright pineapple and woods; Aventus is smoother, with a quieter dark pineapple, and a creamier ambery base. I am not sure if Aventus has the same kind of ambergris base as the other millesimes, but I like the ambery base.

But, between Aventus and Millesime Imperial, I like MI a lot more: there are many many days where I just want to wear MI simply because I crave the smell of MI; the flowery 'melon' note is rather intoxicating to me! Aventus, while rather nice, does not inspire me so much. But I really do like that pineapple note!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Redneck Perfumisto;2510072)

I may not exactly be an Aventus fanboy, but I simply have to admit that this thing charms the ladies in an obvious way. Makes me wonder if this stuff got focus-grouped. No law that says Creed or its anonymous "less-than-master" perfumers can't do it. [/QUOTE]
    I'd bet heavily on the idea that this one got focus-grouped. Great comment, RP!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    But Bigsly, I gotta say - the similarity is all in the fruity topnotes. Which we all know you hate! What about the base?
    As I've said before, skin chemistry seems crucial with many frags. With Zara Gold, the smoky pineapple lasts for a very long time. This may be accentuated by the fact that I get a little on my shirt. Whatever the case may be, neither frag is like the old vintage ones. These are largely if not entirely non-natural frags. Aventus may be a bit "better" in some way, but because I rarely wear it, or anything like it, and because of my skin chemistry, there is no difference for me. Sure, if someone studies these day after day, he will likely detect some difference, but that is irrelevant to me, just as some people can't tell the difference between the new and old Lagerfeld Cologne/Classic or Red for Men by GBH (which I think separates a great frag from an unwearable one). What kind of base could Aventus have that would compete with the great vintage designer frags? The answer is that it can't compete, at least for what I'm seeking. However, if the top notes last for hours, as is the case for Aventus and Zara's Gold, and I like them, it works for me (at least once every couple of months) !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As I've said before, skin chemistry seems crucial with many frags. With Zara Gold, the smoky pineapple lasts for a very long time. This may be accentuated by the fact that I get a little on my shirt. Whatever the case may be, neither frag is like the old vintage ones. These are largely if not entirely non-natural frags. Aventus may be a bit "better" in some way, but because I rarely wear it, or anything like it, and because of my skin chemistry, there is no difference for me. Sure, if someone studies these day after day, he will likely detect some difference, but that is irrelevant to me, just as some people can't tell the difference between the new and old Lagerfeld Cologne/Classic or Red for Men by GBH (which I think separates a great frag from an unwearable one). What kind of base could Aventus have that would compete with the great vintage designer frags? The answer is that it can't compete, at least for what I'm seeking. However, if the top notes last for hours, as is the case for Aventus and Zara's Gold, and I like them, it works for me (at least once every couple of months) !
    Yeah - I have to admit that the Aventus base is just your standard modern thing that doesn't compare with the oldies. Probably more similarity to the JayZ scents and Gucci Guilty PH Intense than anything you're talking about. And in that sense, not a lot of difference between them.

I tend to use the base of Kouros as a reference standard for "good old bases". That one is just wicked strong. The drydown is actually stronger than most modern sport scents, fresh on skin, and is about as strong as a modern weak oriental. And clearly neither Aventus nor Zara Gold are anywhere close to that kind of base.

Still, for modern mainstream, I think the base of Aventus is significantly better than Zara Gold's. The latter just seems quintessentially nondescript to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Aventus well enough, but I don't get the comparison to Voyage at all.

I'll have to wear Gold one of these days and report back. One thing is for sure, which is that it smells great when I take the cap off and smell the sprayer, and that really surprised me (I don't know if I can say that about any other fairly recent frag, other than M7, which I don't actually like to wear).

Post Thanks / Like

I tested Zara Gold again today, as I happened to go to Zara. It seems that Zara Gold is now Zara Man Gold (Zara Gold is in a gold metallic bottle in 100ml while Zara Man Gold is a black glass bottle in 30ml; ditto for Zara Silver/Zara Man Silver). I am not sure if there is any reformulation for Zara (Man) Gold. Testing Zara Man Gold, it confirms my impression of a bright, tangy pineapple with a woodsy undertone. Compared to Aventus, it is less smooth (the pineapple is more prominent and imposing) and less complex. Aventus has more complexity in that the pineapple note is less fruity per se (the floral accords) and is better blended with the other fruit accords (with the apple being more prominent). I also do not get much of a base from the Zara Man Gold, the pineapple just goes on then fades out.

Had I not known of the existence of Aventus (Creed is not well known in Singapore at all), and I only know of the Zara, I would definitely go for the Zara for a rather nice pineapple fragrance. But Aventus, though expensive, is really quite worth the price, and since I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment (Singaporeans in general are not really into fragrances, and fragrances are usually lightly applied here anyway), Aventus is definitely more pleasing to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    +1. Aventus has weak projection for me.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

aventus smells nothing similar to voyage, they are both fruity scents and one is hell of a lot cheaper.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ovaltine Jenkins View Post
    +1. Aventus has weak projection for me.
    you must have a bad batch. I got the fruity batch that is hyped up in a split and the next day it feels like i just sprayed it on.

I'm wearing Zara's Gold today. There is no metallic or "synthetic" qualities, and I am very sensitive to them, especially calone and metallic ones. It's lasting well, a few hours in now, though I get little in the way of "development" (in this case, that's what I'm seeking, since any base would likely be typical/generic and not worth noting). Sure it's simple, but it's not like so many of the super-sweet or downright revolting fruit frags marketed to men these days, and I enjoy it, which of course is most important to me. I don't remember Aventus being any different (my decant of that is no longer available), but for my purposes there is really no way it can be "better." There is no base that it could develop into that would be something I'd want, at least that I've ever come across. Others may be looking for something else, which is legitimate, but to me the cost difference is far too great to even consider purchasing a bottle of Aventus.

Post Thanks / Like

Though I do own it, I do find it a bit overrated, and truly believe I can find an even better more unique every day scent. With that being said, you are lying to yourself if you think the Zara smells anywhere close to it.

Aventus is MUCH more complex, and the crisp, fresh pineapple opening dries down to something very different. Zara Gold starts off honey glazed pineapple, and finishes a more synthetic honey glazed pineapple. Too sweet.

This is one of the best Creed's in my opinion and when my decant runs out I'll definitely be getting more

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    this ^^^^^^^^^

paid 150 euros (188 dollars) for 75ml (2,5oz) bottle of Aventus. My batch number is C42B11Y02 and I'm very satisfied. Maybe expensive but smells amazing so I don't care

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    it reminds me very much of Creed Himalayas mixed with Nautica Voyage... it has that clean soapy smell and that apple scent from Nautica Voyage...
    Uhm.... huh?

A: I smell no soap or apple in Aventus. I get rich (not sharp) pineapple and smoke.
    B: Clearly, I need to snag one of those $20 bottles of Nautica Voyage at Ross!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I smell absolutely no similarity between Nautica Voyage and Aventus. I HATE Nautica voyage, but love Aventus. I'm no Creed snob either.

Best Creed. Original and if you get a good batch.... Great performer
    Top 5
    1. Dior Homme/Intense
    2. Aventus
    3. Musc Ravageur
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Tobacco Vanille

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q