Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 4 New Tom Ford Private Blends for Fall 2012 - and some other news

The label on my TV bottle itself is slightly tilted.. to me that doesn't mean much. And I see the big 250ml flacon behind it so my assumption is they used that to fill the roll-ons. I've yet to hear of a single instance of counterfeit TF Private Blends. The releases are right around the corner so we shouldn't express too much surprise that these are starting to sprout up on eBay and other places before the official launch. I'm just hesitant to be skeptical that these are fakes because this ebay user has flawless feedback and the fact this name was trademarked as well, plus the flacon in the background, leads me to believe this is authentic.

Tried these today. Not very impressed at all and I have almost all the original Private blend scents. Coffee rose is a generic rose/Oud type blend while the signature scent smells like a department store scent with the same synthetic powdery/aqua dry down that I can't stand. Considering the amazing and truly unique private blend scents he came out with in the past, these are a disappointment. To me at least. I didn't spend too much time with the other more floral ones. Me me me was a tuberose scent from my memory. Oh well, I'll stick to my originals.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Tried these today. Not very impressed at all and I have almost all the original Private blend scents. Coffee rose is a generic rose/Oud type blend while the signature scent smells like a department store scent with the same synthetic powdery/aqua dry down that I can't stand. Considering the amazing and truly unique private blend scents he came out with in the past, these are a disappointment. To me at least. I didn't spend too much time with the other more floral ones. Me me me was a tuberose scent from my memory. Oh well, I'll stick to my originals.
    To my nose, Me Me Me is almost identical to Velvet Gardenia. Powdery aqua dry down from signature? That o did not get. Lots of patchouli, yes but nothing aquatic. I also did not get much oud in coffee rose at all, much like kilians rose oud barely had any oud at all, if any.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

This is a big letdown to hear, but it's also kinda what I expected. Oh well, I'll still try to sample them but seriously the rose/oud thing has got to stop. So. Played. Out.

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    That said, I'd love it if they did change the name back to this, as it would mean the absolutely god awful "Me! Me! Me!" name would be gone.
    lol. That's exactly what I was thinking. IMO, it would be a big mistake for Mr. Ford to go with that name.

To my nose, Me Me Me is almost identical to Velvet Gardenia. Powdery aqua dry down from signature? That o did not get. Lots of patchouli, yes but nothing aquatic. I also did not get much oud in coffee rose at all, much like kilians rose oud barely had any oud at all, if any.
    I agree with the patchouli dry down you state. I was getting some powdery aquatic note I don't know why.

Also with the coffe rose, I don't smell Oud either but it smells like a rose Oud combo. Just like you stated, a watered down killian rose oud

Just like you stated, a watered down killian rose oud
    well i didnt say it was a watered down rose oud, i actually found it to be a more deep rose with a dry coffee bean background.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Sounds like another fail from this house. The ratio of good releases to bad is sliding dangerously downhill. I should wait til I try them I suppose, but none of this sounds promising. Another sub-line? Really?

And if "Me, Me, Me" is actually the name of a fragrance, what a disgrace.

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...quartet_f.html

Surprisingly affordable price points: "will retail for $90 for a 1.7-oz. eau de parfum and $125 for a 3.4-oz. edp", but this line really doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...quartet_f.html

Surprisingly affordable price points: "will retail for $90 for a 1.7-oz. eau de parfum and $125 for a 3.4-oz. edp", but this line really doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all
    Hmmmm. That sounds more like the price point for Tom Ford Noir - the new men's release.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yea it doesn't sound right to me either. The Scented Salamander credited the info to a site called WWD but I can't find the info on there.

A wee word about Santal Blush? When I stopped by to look at Santal Blush when it first appeared I wasn't keen. I have no idea why. For some reason I tried it again and I discovered the most beautiful sandalwood that I have smelled in a long, long time. It clung to the sleeve of my jacket, and even the air in my closet was infused with this incredible sandalwood. It smells like sandalwood oil used to in the days when we bought it as oil and we had no idea what harm we were doing. It also smells like my memory of very early Crabtree and Evelyn Mysore Sandalwood. However this has been achieved, it is exquisite.

Thank god those names I saw on the lab samples weren't used, those were the dumbest titles I've seen in years. And that pricing must be for the new signature, there's no way he'd lower the price on the PB to that low.
    Splits!

The new Signature is only available in 50ml and those prices are for 50 and 100ml so maybe it is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    The new Signature is only available in 50ml and those prices are for 50 and 100ml so maybe it is correct.
    Seriously doubt it, the 100 ml size for the PB's is slowly getting phased out amongst most juices. They've been slowly reducing the number of them that have that size offered, so I cannot see them introducing new ones with that size. Plus, why raise the price on the whole line, then introduce four new ones at half the cost? It'd be an odd business move. Plus, all other Signatures have been available in 50 and 100 ml sizes.
    Splits!

Tom Ford Extreme isn't available in 100ml.

Still very interesting in trying the two florals.
    Comparisons to Velvet Gardenia have me swooning The only private blend I enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    Tom Ford Extreme isn't available in 100ml.
    Ah, you're right, that was only after shave. I still do have trouble seeing him sell one set of PB's at over 50% less than the rest, but I'd absolutely love to be completely wrong about that.

Edit: if this is to be believed, the prices were for the signature: http://cocoperez.com/2012-07-20-tom-...rom=PHheadline heck of a bottle!
    Last edited by fitch256; 21st July 2012 at 02:17 AM.
    Splits!

kind of disappointed to hear this. coffee rose is the only one that intrigued me. guess i'll have to test it out sometime. i hope you're wrong, but i have a good feeling you're spot on

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Still very interesting in trying the two florals.
    Comparisons to Velvet Gardenia have me swooning The only private blend I enjoyed.
    Exactly. Anything comparable to Velvet Gardenia is a good thing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The juice I smelled didn't have quite the buttery/velvety texture of VG, but this was the first juice that came to mind upon sniffing it, and I definitely smelled similarities. Though the lab samples I tested had their names changed, so who knows if the juice changed as well.

- - - Updated - - -

The juice I smelled didn't have quite the buttery/velvety texture of VG, but this was the first juice that came to mind upon sniffing it, and I definitely smelled similarities. Though the lab samples I tested had their names changed, so who knows if the juice changed as well.
    Splits!

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    One little update on this subject. My Tom Ford rep said she just got word that one of the new fragrances will be called Men's Noir.
    I agree that that's a pretty bland name.

Maybe she meant Guy Noir ?

But I think Garrison Kellor already has his name on that one.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Splits!

This fragrance should be called:
    TOM FORD - "I'm Batman."

Disappointed to here about the reviews so far, especially on Cafe Rose. I'll still try them.

There is no way the PB's prices dropped that much.

This looks like a 100ml bottle to me. It's certainly different to the one linked in the Noir thread.

Tom Ford Noir will come in 50ml ($90) and 100ml ($125) EDPs.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Tom Ford Noir will come in 50ml ($90) and 100ml ($125) EDPs.
    Yes, it will (see attached). And the new Private Blends will be the same price as the other Private Blends.

TF Noir.jpg

Also, I tried some of the lab samples today. Some quick comments based on a spray of each on different parts of my arm:

Cafe Rose - I found it to be a nice rose/oud combo. Is it groundbreaking - no. But I doubt at this point anyone is coming up with anything unique in this genre. It's not as harsh/synthetic as something like Montale Black Aoud.

Lys Fume - A very good lily fragrance. I have been exploring lily fragrances recently, and this one really appealed to me. I didn't get any Velvet Gardenia from it.

Ombre de Hyacinth - I actually liked this one the most of the Private Blends - which I would not have imagined prior to smelling them. It's very green - in the vain of Chanel No 19.

Noir - I get a lot of patchouli out of this. Plus I get a little bit of the turpentine note that is in Tom Ford Extreme. There was nothing aquatic about it to me.

I sprayed them on 6+ hours ago, and can still smell them.

I will definitely need to test them further once I can give them a proper wearing, and then determine if any are FBW. But at this point I am not disappointed in my first encounter with them.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd July 2012 at 01:22 AM.

Yes, it will (see attached). And the new Private Blends will be the same price as the other Private Blends.

TF Noir.jpg

Also, I tried some of the lab samples today. Some quick comments based on a spray of each on different parts of my arm:

Cafe Rose - I found it to be a nice rose/oud combo. Is it groundbreaking - no. But I doubt at this point anyone is coming up with anything unique in this genre. It's not as harsh/synthetic as something like Montale Black Aoud.

Lys Fume - A very good lily fragrance. I have been exploring lily fragrances recently, and this one really appealed to me. I didn't get any Velvet Gardenia from it.

Ombre de Hyacinth - I actually liked this one the most of the Private Blends - which I would not have imagined prior to smelling them. It's very green - in the vain of Chanel No 19.

Noir - I get a lot of patchouli out of this. Plus I get a little bit of the turpentine note that is in Tom Ford Extreme. There was nothing aquatic about it to me.

I sprayed them on 6+ hours ago, and can still smell them.

I will definitely need to test them further once I can give them a proper wearing, and then determine if any are FBW. But at this point I am not disappointed in my first encounter with them.
    This is encouraging to hear.

I believe the Velvet Gardenia one that I smelled was the one marked Me Me Me, which I believe is Jonquille De Nuit. I agree, Hyacinth was the most interesting one, something very odd and different about it in a good way.
    Splits!

I'm pretty stoked about the hyacinth, the jonquil, and the lily. All three are favorite notes, and all three renditions sound like something I'd be into.

Blog Entries

Definitely looking forward to all of these. No immediate red flags for Joe, means no mainstream crowd-pleasers for me, but a bit of niche would do me good. I think Noir is almost a must-have for me if it's anything like Extreme.

Joe - is there any obvious coffee in Cafe Rose? Certainly hoping there is.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I'm pretty stoked about the hyacinth, the jonquil, and the lily. All three are favorite notes, and all three renditions sound like something I'd be into.
    +1!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I tried to find these at the local Tom Ford counter but they don't seem to be in yet. Any release date?

I tried to find these at the local Tom Ford counter but they don't seem to be in yet. Any release date?
    looks to be september-ish.
    Splits!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Definitely looking forward to all of these. No immediate red flags for Joe, means no mainstream crowd-pleasers for me, but a bit of niche would do me good. I think Noir is almost a must-have for me if it's anything like Extreme.

Joe - is there any obvious coffee in Cafe Rose? Certainly hoping there is.....
    Unfortunately I did not get any coffee from it.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I believe slurpees387, from YouTube, put out a video on the new Tom Ford fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    I believe slurpees387, from YouTube, put out a video on the new Tom Ford fragrances.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCPTzBZOTho and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3wfA_qp4UY Ignore the incorrect names of the fragrances.
    Splits!

I saw these in Selfridges in London a couple of days ago. I tried CR and thought it was ok, quite subtle. Looked like they were all in stock. Same price as the other PBs.

Just wanted to let you know TPC has five small sample packs available. Have no idea how long they'll last.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Quote Originally Posted by emdia View Post
    I saw these in Selfridges in London a couple of days ago. I tried CR and thought it was ok, quite subtle. Looked like they were all in stock. Same price as the other PBs.
    they come in the 250 ml bottles as well, correct?
    Splits!

they come in the 250ml bottles as well, correct?
    Only the 50ml bottles were on display for testing. The other PBs are on display for testing in 250ml(blotters are dipped in these). There were a couple of 250ml boxes behind the counter of the new PBs. I asked about 100ml and was told they were only available for a couple of the existing range which I assume means that size is being phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by emdia View Post
    Only the 50ml bottles were on display for testing. The other PBs are on display for testing in 250ml(blotters are dipped in these). There were a couple of 250ml boxes behind the counter of the new PBs. I asked about 100ml and was told they were only available for a couple of the existing range which I assume means that size is being phased out.
    as long as they're selling them in 250 ml bottles, that's all i care about, it's the best deal on TF's you can get, especially with the new pricing. and yes, the 100 ml bottles are being mostly phased out except for the very, very popular scents.
    Splits!

Just got a chance to smell them today at NM. All of them are well made and blended but not a game-changer like Tobbacco Vanille or Tuscan Leather. Cafe Rose is the best of the line. I get a dirty natural rose but not much of the "coffee" side of the fragrance at all, it seems like the closest to the Private line already in the collection. Reminds me of a less potent Carnal Flower / Une Rose like fragrance. Hyacinth is the Jean Claude Ellena of the line, a transperent garden that feels like a safe / underwelming Un Jardin entry. I still think that Hermes does the Jardin style better in execution and also price point.

- - - Updated - - -

NM SA tells me they should be in stores to purchase around the 2nd week of September.

Ingsoc48, do they have samples at NM? If so, I need to go check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulmtAz View Post
    Ingsoc48, do they have samples at NM? If so, I need to go check them out.
    They have lab samples, yes. I found Hyacinth and Lys Fume to be interesting, I'm not sure where I stand on them. Hyacinth is a very odd and incredibly dry floral with a bite to it, and a very much background freshness in the drydown. I almost got a similar fresh note to Azure Lime in it. The smoked lilies of Lys was a nice combination, but I would've liked them to be more smoked than they are. Jonquelle de Nuit still smells like a repackaged Velvet Gardenia to my nose. I agree no real game changers, but no boring stinkers like Jasmin Rouge and to an extent Lavender Palm were.
    Splits!

Lol..I thought the title said Tom Ford blends for fail? LOL Sorry, carry on, lol.

I tried cafe rose today , it's the only one of the newbs that I fancied trying and my god what a disappointment . Zero coffee , nothing .... It's a poor mans Kilian Rose Oud , nothing new or even remotely interesting , hugely disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I tried cafe rose today , it's the only one of the newbs that I fancied trying and my god what a disappointment . Zero coffee , nothing .... It's a poor mans Kilian Rose Oud , nothing new or even remotely interesting , hugely disappointing
    Are they available in all the shops now?

I just have to point out how funny it is to read that a $205/50ml fragrance is "a poor man's" anything...

I sniffed all four today, two on paper, two on skin:

Ombre de Hyacinth - wore on skin, see my review here.

Lys Fume - wore on skin.

I have so say I absolutely love this. I think how you feel about this will largely depend on how you feel about lillies, as it's almost a monolithic soliflore ode to an oriental lilly.

To my nose, this is a mid-point between the old formula of SL's Tubereuse Criminelle, PG's Louange Profanes, and most of all, Penhaglion's Lilly & Spice. But where as the latter is very mild, rather underpowered, and brief, this is far more fleshed out.

It starts out rather where Tubereuse Criminelle used to end: creamy-frosty vanilla, floral sweetness, musk, and and a hint of that salicylate chill. Then, in the heart, it veers almost a little sweet for me, a tuberose-bubblegum thing going on, but the distinct spice makes manageable. Finally after about an hour in it turns to a perfect light-hearted lilly fragrance, perfect enough that I kept forgetting it was on and looked for where the lillies were in the room.

I want this. I want this now, as I can already see discontinuation lies ahead.

Jonquil de Nuit - smelled on card.

This was merely pleasant. I wanted a jonquil, and this isn't it. There seems to be a hoard of shampoo sambac jasmines these days ( their rightful queen in my view is Love & Tears ), and this isn't really the best example. Smells a lot like J'Adore Absolu to my nose.

I do not get Velvet Gardenia in this at all. They're as far apart as Katy Perry is from Kraftwerk.

Cafe Rose - smelled on card.

Move along people: coffee and rose is a great idea, and this isn't it.

That being said, it's one of the more pleasant variations of the rose-oud combo I've smelled. Not as nice as the Kilian, much nicer than most Montales.

Like the previous, eminently wearable, but arguably unnecessary if you have some other variant.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside, I don't like the bottles. Funny that my favorite Ford scent comes in my least-favorite Ford bottle! The purple label cheapens the whole aesthetic for a reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Also, I've never seen a more bored sales assistant. I went up to the counter and said "Oh, I was waiting for these!" and she looks up from her magazine and says "Oh, you can try them if you want..."

Maybe it's because I work in sales myself, but I feel I could have sold me Lys Fume!

Largely agree. I also sampled this (and only this, of the newbies) at the weekend. I like it, and may acquire it in time, however it's a major disappointment from the coffee point of view, and for me not worth full RRP.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside, I don't like the bottles. The purple label cheapens the whole aesthetic for a reason I can't quite put my finger on.
    Agree. They do look cheap. Which they most certainly aren't.

Sur la Plage

After some more testing, Jonquil de Nuit is becoming my favorite of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    The discontinuation of AA doesn't surprise me. There's a glut of nearly identical ambers on the market and this one was by far the most unoriginal of the TF Private line (at least of the one's I've tried).
    Is this one like Ambre Sultan? That's what I heard..that they are similar?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Is this one like Ambre Sultan? That's what I heard..that they are similar?
    No. Ambre Sultan is much more herbal & woody. AA is a rich, thick amber with a wisp of incense, & IMO one of the very best amber fragrances out there.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Well then, I must try amber absolute! Thanks teardrop!

I enjoy Urban Musk.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoy AA very much; for those looking for a comparatively straight amber fragrance it is a good one to sample. I get a bit of smoke with it and brilliant longevity.

I've become obsessed with Lys Fume. I'm going to give it one more wearing, and then if no-one else arranges splits on this one, I will!

- - - Updated - - -

Color me surprised at Amber Absolute's passing. Franken-juice like Velvet Gardenia I understood them shuffling off, but AA seemed like a genuine crowd-pleaser ( there's a reason every line does an amber... )

I was lucky enough to test them at Le Printemps, in Paris, a fortnight ago and fell in love with Jonquille and Lys...

Kron offers splits of all four in the split section of the forum!

I wound up taking one of the spots on the Lys Fume. Well worth it for me.