Code of Conduct

Smile Long lasting, good projecting, summer fragrance for an 18 year old?

I've recently purchased Bleu de Chanel and I must say the scent is quite mesmerizing! Its longevity is decent but it has good projection. I can't go wrong with this scent, this is ABSOLUTELY sex in a bottle! I was going to go with Allure Homme Sport but Bleu de Chanel just felt like it really was for me. This has become my new signature scent.

Anyways, I have this 20$ discount card (for fragrance purchase of 100$ CDN and up) that starts next week so I am going to get another bottle. My budget is limited to at max 120. So please recommend me good fragrances with a reasonable price.

After my purchase of Bleu de Chanel I was given a sample of L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Sport and its dry down smells FANTASTIC! But I feel it is somewhat similar to Bleu de Chanel. It smells quite sporty but longevity wise it didn't last long enough on my skin (I'd say 4 hours?). So I'm guessing this might make a good after-gym fragrance (might consider getting this).

Alright so for my next purchases here's what I plan on buying:
    - L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (Sport or Intense)
    - L'Instant de Guerlain Eau Extreme
    - D&G The One (Sport or Gentlemen)
    - D&G Light Blue
    - YSL L'homme
    - YSL L'homme Libre
    - YSL Body Kouros
    - YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    - JPG Le Male Summer 2012
    - Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt

I would like your opinions on each one of these. I'm not an expert with fragrances, I just want to know what's good and also to smell good

If you have anything else to recommend for what I should wear for the summer, by all means do so! I'll check them out at the boutique. I'd prefer something that gets the compliments, that's how good I want it to smell!
    Last edited by Apollo; 25th March 2012 at 08:02 AM.

Default Re: Long lasting, good projecting, summer fragrance for an 18 year old?

Give the ones below a try and see if any of them grab your fancy.

- L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme (Sport or Intense)
    - YSL L'homme
    - YSL L'homme Libre
    - YSL Body Kouros
    - YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    - JPG Le Male Summer 2012
    - Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt

Blog Entries

If you like Bleu, you might like L'Homme. It is a head-turner, but its longevity is a suspect. From your list, L'Eau D'Issey is very long-lasting on my skin, and it is a beast in projection. The regular L'Instant de Guerlain also lasts whole day, so I expect the Extreme version to be much better. Rive Gauche smells really nice, it has decent projection. DG The One Gentleman is a spicy sweet fragrance that can be cloying.

Haven't tried Le Male, Pure Malt, Body Kouros, and I really don't care about the Libre.

Also try/sample the following:
    - Dior Homme Sport
    - Acqua di Gio
    - Paris Hilton for Man (it is fruity) - if the name doesn't bother you. :-P

Maybe you want also try:

Chanel Allure Homme Sport new Extreme-version
    YSL Live Jazz
    Creed Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water
    or Acqua di Parma line

+1 for Live Jazz

I heard that L'Homme doesn't last long but I'm certainly thinking about it. And by L'Eau d'Issey you mean the PHS right?

I've given those a try, didn't like Acqua di Gio it is too overused. Dior Homme Sport, not really quite fond. And Paris Hilton for Man, I'll see if the boutique sells that. By the way, what really makes the difference between "Sport" fragrances and their "Original" version?

Dependent

I would vote for
    - Pure Malt
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

It seems you have clear ideas on what you want. Unfortunately, as you mention, fresh citrusy smells are not too persistent. This is in the nature of the material, and one has to live with it. When they last long, it's because perfumers include sharp chemicals that I find very unpleasant. An example would be Light blue - which I strongly dislike, a swampy marine note together with a chemical sharp cleaner; persistent it is, but also very annoying.

In your list, I especially like Rive Gauche, and A*men. A*men is usually not thought of as a summery scent - though that's probably the case for the hot humid summers down here, it should be fine in Canada's cooler summers (and of course it would be great for the winter). Rive Gauche is just a great classic that works in all occasions.

For fresh summery, I tend to gravitate towards vetivers. Examples are Guerlain Vetiver and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Vetiver are fresh, natural smelling and long lasting; their type of freshness is slightly different from citruses, they are greener and more vegetal, and with a touch of rootiness. I like them a lot, though not everybody likes the rooty part.

cacio

I love Rive Guache, but I would personally go with A*men pure malt or l'eau d'issey

L'Eau d'Issey PH Intense or Sport?

I'd say try:
    YSL L'homme
    D&G The One
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Aventus

If you can find Pure Malt, buy as many bottles as you can

Guys. The decision has been made. I've tried all your scents. But I fell in love with L'Eau d'Issey PH Sport. Since I go to the gym 4x/week, this is perfect for the after gym. And I got a nice case and shower gel along with it too. Siccck stuff. I'm thinking YSL or Guerlain for fall/winter. Creed is wayyyyy out of my budget. I mean I could save up and get it but there's no special events coming up for me so there'd be no use for this. And 285$ just for the 100mL is too much. Anyways, thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback!

Basenotes Junkie

how are longevity and projection of ysl l'homme and D&G the one is hot weather?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Guys. The decision has been made. I've tried all your scents. But I fell in love with L'Eau d'Issey PH Sport. Since I go to the gym 4x/week, this is perfect for the after gym. And I got a nice case and shower gel along with it too. Siccck stuff. I'm thinking YSL or Guerlain for fall/winter. Creed is wayyyyy out of my budget. I mean I could save up and get it but there's no special events coming up for me so there'd be no use for this. And 285$ just for the 100mL is too much. Anyways, thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback!
    Congrats, and update us of your purchase. ;-)

I think a lot of people just read the title when they posted "Creed" and other expensive lines; they are useful, though, in the future when you can afford them.

For sure. Damn, Creed is one hell of an expensive house. But yea one day I might as well just try one of their fragrances. Might make a purchase next year for Creed. In the meantime, I think two fragrances is enough for summer! xD

L'Eau d'Issey PH by issey miyake is one of Thee longest lasting frags that is good in the summer...not too sure about the sport or intense version. However some if the others such as l'instant de guerlain extreme and pure malt isn't really recommended for the summer but still nice to try out and have around (I think). Yves l'homme is another good one and the summer heat makes it project better but longevity isn't something to marvel about. It's not listed on your list but if you go get a chance to test Cartier roadster you might like that too...and you can find it fairly cheap from a very good designer house.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post

D&G the one isn't recommended for summer either, more of a fall/winter frags imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post

D&G the one isn't recommended for summer either, more of a fall/winter frags imo.

From your list, I'd suggest:

- YSL L'homme
    - YSL L'homme Libre
    - YSL Body Kouros

YSL Body Kouros

You guys suggest Body Kouros for summer? I love the stuff, but I've never tried it in the heat.

Another good one is diesel fuel for life. It's fresh, has some sweetness but not whole lot. Beauty about this frags??? It projects very well and last a whole day.

From your list, Issey Pour Hommevand Rive Gauche.

I'd say Rive Gauche or any of the better vetivers. Rive Gauche is also reasonably priced. Acqua di Parma is good if you like citrus. There are several great Guerlains to chose from for any season.