Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsors

Default Biggest change of heart towards a fragrance

How many times has it happened to you? With which fragrances?
    Either was your mood, your age, whatever... but there was this fragrance you thought rubbish when you started wearing it, left it on the shelf.... and later when you picked it up again became one of your faves, and vice versa!
    I'll fire first salvo: Hermes Equipage, thought it was really old school when I wore it first times, left it for some months, now I find it amazing!
    Share your experience!

Default Re: Biggest change of heart towards a fragrance

A change of heart - actually so radical, as to change my whole outlook from a hostile to an inviting, welcoming, loving one- happened to me not regarding a certain fragrance, but a whole fragrance category. Only 3-4 years ago, I thought gourmand scents were immature, shallow, tasteless, sickly sweet, generic, uninteresting etc., while I could hardly imagine a life without gourmand scents (among other types, categories etc.) in my fragrance wardrobe

Cuir de Russie. Last year I loved the top of it but couldn't take the animalic "dirty hair" notes in the drydown. Now I crave it. I think I've just cultivated a stronger taste for leathers in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    A change of heart - actually so radical, as to change my whole outlook from a hostile to an inviting, welcoming, loving one- happened to me not regarding a certain fragrance, but a whole fragrance category. Only 3-4 years ago, I thought gourmand scents were immature, shallow, tasteless, sickly sweet, generic, uninteresting etc., while I could hardly imagine a life without gourmand scents (among other types, categories etc.) in my fragrance wardrobe
    Very interesting! Was there any particular gourmand that made start looking at them with different "eyes"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Cuir de Russie. Last year I loved the top of it but couldn't take the animalic "dirty hair" notes in the drydown. Now I crave it. I think I've just cultivated a stronger taste for leathers in general.
    Also interesting! Actually I think that the leather note is quite addictive, tried Eau Sauvage Fraicheur de Cuir, and couldnt stop sniffing the back of my hand while walking down the street, people must have thought I'm some retard or something

grey flannel...it taught me a lesson to not judge by just topnote and wait for drydown...

No, not a particular gourmand, but far more a range of "favorable encounters" with a range of gourmands which steadily, but successfully brought on a change. I cannot remember which one was the first to make me look at them with different eyes, but Rochas Man, Versace The Dreamer, several Dsquared, Le Male Terrible, Pure Havane, Very Irresistible, DHI, even the often so blamed One Million were among the first and the most effective to bring on that noticeable change.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 24th March 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ScentsOfHell View Post
    Also interesting! Actually I think that the leather note is quite addictive, tried Eau Sauvage Fraicheur de Cuir, and couldnt stop sniffing the back of my hand while walking down the street
    You may be right about addictive...and now I need to go smell Eau Sauvage Fraicheur de Cuir.

Dior Homme - at first few tries in the shop, i put in top 5 worst fragrances ever, in my mind. This was a few years ago (around 3).
    Now i own and enjoy whole line: DH and DHI, both vintage and reformulation. And basenotes (been a reader for a long time, just started posting for a couple of months) made me return to this fragrance and give it more time, to drydown and not scrub it off after a few minutes.

Most By Kilian pieces were so great, but nowadays, I don´t care too much.

When I've first sampled L'Instant De Guerlain Extreme I was fascinated right away but after buying it the next day and gave it a full ware it just gave me headache and some notes just weren't for me so I returned it!
    The vice versa experience was about one of my current favorite fragrances, Coriolan by Guerlain which didn't impress me at all at first but I've decided to buy it anyway, being already discontinued for many years and extremely hard to find and then slowly began to grow on me each time I was wearing it!

I used to love jasmine and white flowers. Now I can't stand any white flower prominent perfume.
    for swap/sale:

Prince De Galles Gold - didn't care too much for it when I first got it for my collection. A few months later I really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    You may be right about addictive...and now I need to go smell Eau Sauvage Fraicheur de Cuir.
    Cool, tell us about it afterwards! May not be easy to find though, I think its already or about to be discontinued :S

I used to enjoy Tom Fords Oud Wood and purchased a bootle. Then I read somewhere that there was a latex note within the scent. After that everytime I smelled I just kept picking up that latex note and just had too sell my bottle.

Cartier Declaration : Sampled this........3 1/2 years ago and wrote down it was my "new worst fragrance ever" ! I thought it smelled similar to Ck One and Azzaro Chrome. Not to mention some body odor as well

I think it was that particular year.....in the summer heat, where I began to love Declaration. One of my all time favorites for sure.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage), Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Cartier Declaration : Sampled this........3 1/2 years ago and wrote down it was my "new worst fragrance ever" ! I thought it smelled similar to Ck One and Azzaro Chrome. Not to mention some body odor as well

I think it was that particular year.....in the summer heat, where I began to love Declaration. One of my all time favorites for sure.
    Humm, Declaration... Have tried it and didnt exactly fell "head over heels" for it.... Actually, I cant seem able to really like any Ellena's fragrances ( I know thats blasphemy for many people here), Jacques Cavallier is the "champ" for me!

Quote Originally Posted by 7ScentsOfHell View Post
    Humm, Declaration... Have tried it and didnt exactly fell "head over heels" for it.... Actually, I cant seem able to really like any Ellena's fragrances ( I know thats blasphemy for many people here), Jacques Cavallier is the "champ" for me!
    Agreed, Cavallier is a champ for sure. This man has created some good ones.

I am not crazy for Ellena, either. Declaration works best in really hot weather. I also like his Concentee version of Hermes EdOV.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage), Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Orange Star by Andy Tauer -- didn't think it worked at all at first -- now love and have received more comments about it (all good) than any other ever. Conversely -- dropped for Declaration a few months ago, then wore out only once. -- but sprayed into the Hoover bag.

Pure Havane. It could have been a combination of the unxpected (not smelling like what I felt reviews were saying/how I imagined it would smell) and the cherry note at the top feeling medicinal after reading a cough medicine reference. Once I threw out all I had read and cleared my mind of expectations and opinions, I fell in love with it. It has a tractor beam effect on me. I feel myself needing to use it, being drawn to breath deep and really take it in. I was simply wrong about it and have learned to be patient and allow scents to become fully expressed before passing judgment. Made that mistake with Egoiste as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
    Dior Homme - at first few tries in the shop, i put in top 5 worst fragrances ever, in my mind. This was a few years ago (around 3).
    Now i own and enjoy whole line: DH and DHI, both vintage and reformulation. And basenotes (been a reader for a long time, just started posting for a couple of months) made me return to this fragrance and give it more time, to drydown and not scrub it off after a few minutes.
    I loved DH and DHI upon first whiff, but fully understand what you are saying about giving fragrances time to develope. That was a lesson I was fortunate enough to learn and like so many more fragrances because of it.

I should shut up, because funnily I haven't had any change of hearts yet towards a fragrance

On first sniff and first 4-6 hour wear, I'm very sure I get the point of a frag.

I've really really tried to enjoy and understand these frags from my collection but just still can't grasp nor tolerate them:

Guerlain Habit Rouge - awful feminine flower citrus note
    Dior Homme/Intense - awful disgusting makeup & lipstick note, even after 3-4 hours in the dry down
    Guerlain L'Instant/Extreme - kind of liked this a tiny bit but the coco and coffee note in kills it for me
    Caron Yatagan - 'celery + camp fire + wild wolf' = not for me
    Jacomo de Jacomo - I adore smokey tobacco frags, but this smells like a one year old unemptied rotten full ashtray on a harbor bodega in Amsterdam
    Halston Z-14 - smells like the inside of a hospitals surgical room
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 unique bottles in my collection

yeah, 4-6 hrs on a couple full wearings and one should have a good idea. You just hate to see someone pick up a great scent, shoot one spray and say oh thats terrible, before the alcohol has even vanished.
    Last edited by paradigm; 1st April 2012 at 04:57 AM.

I have to say M