Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I HATE patchouli! (or so I thought)

"Bask in the day", hippies wore patchouli oil and it reeked. I could not stand to be around the scent. I have since decided that patchouli is a dirty, nasty smell with bad memories. But, to my surprise most of the scents that I really enjoy have patchouli as one of the ingredients.

Discuss...
    Last edited by Akahina; 25th March 2012 at 07:07 AM.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Default Re: I HATE patchouli! (or so I thought)

All of my favorite fragrances have a base of patchouli. I love the stuff!

Ah, I very much agree with your initial point, Akahina. I have a problem with patchouli for exactly that reason and association. Indeed, I still encounter hippies reeking of patchouli at train stations, etc. It is unusually complex for a single-derivation oil, but...its association... It is usually with regret that I find fragrances I enjoy containing patchouli, as I would rather avoid it altogether. The most prominent example of this is Third Man, which I really do enjoy occasionally, but contains a discernible patchouli note.

I really love patchouli. It is my favourite note since I smelled Amen/Angel and its flankers. It was pretty unique to me untill I started to sample niches where many of them contain patchouli in basenotes. Anyway, patchouli + vanilla is still my favourite combo.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

As a supporting note, I quite enjoy it. A good example being Portrait of a Lady .
    As a 'front and center' note however, I have come to deeply dislike it, particularly its mentholated aspect (e.g. Mazzolari patchouly).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

patchouli....beautiful and earthy

Post Thanks / Like

I used to like it very now. I used to enjoy Patchouli Elixir by Reminiscence (a reference patchouli) but now, like some of the above, I enjoy it as a supporting note like in Lummiere Noire pour Homme, PoaL and Patchouli Imperiale by Dior.

for swap/sale:

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I really love patchouli. It is my favourite note since I smelled Amen/Angel and its flankers. It was pretty unique to me untill I started to sample niches where many of them contain patchouli in basenotes. Anyway, patchouli + vanilla is still my favourite combo.
    I love patchouli with vanilla too!
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

Before I got into perfume, I thought I disliked patchouli too. Mainly because of the association with annoying pseudo-hippy style when I was growing up (in the 80s).

The truth was I just didn't know anything. When I actually got around to exploring and learning what scents I like, I found patchouli right there among them. Now I own and love Borneo 1834, Coromandel, Calamity J, and plenty of others that have patchouli in either a central or supporting role.

patchoulli fragrance Givenchy Gentleman was my first true love

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    As a supporting note, I quite enjoy it. A good example being Portrait of a Lady .
    As a 'front and center' note however, I have come to deeply dislike it, particularly its mentholated aspect (e.g. Mazzolari patchouly).
    My thoughts exactly.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't handle it as a dominant note and prefer it lingering in the background done with a light hand. Ulrich Lang Nightscape and M.Micallef Patchouli are among the most wearable examples i've encountered so far.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Patchouli is very hit or miss for me. Usually I don't like it as a dominant note bet there are still some patchouli-centered compositions that while conjuring the sixties and all the flower-power types of things are still amazing for their immense beauty. One of them is Cozè which pairs the typical herbal quality to a sort of dirty-gourmandic twist that's typical of many Parfumerie Generale. The other is Intrigant Patchouli that enhances a more classicist, sort of old-fashioned french perfumery aspect, with a strong civet note and a majestic powdery base.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

I have never encountered any hippie who smelled of patchouli, so I never got to make that association. Some patchoulis are too strong for me (JHAG Vengeance Extreme smells like Swiss cheese for a good while to me), but I usually like it a lot when well complemented by other notes.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Don't mind it in scents like e.g. Gentleman and such. Ice Men on the other hand is pushing it a little. It actually reminds me of being a teenager and being around people who smoke weed (and of Rive Gauche).

Post Thanks / Like

Not much hippies were here in Soviet Union (back then), let alone wearing patchouli.

I love ETRO Patchouly, Givenchy Gentleman, Lapidus pour Homme and somehow do miss the discontinued LUSH Tramp showergel.

Regards, Odor.

Post Thanks / Like

Never cared much for patchouli untill I met Coromandel.
    Then I fell in love!

I don't like patchouli by itself because of the association the OP mentioned. I do have some fragrances with patchouli and they do smell good but I believe it is because of the combination of scents and the patchouli is in the far back and not a dominant note.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: I HATE patchouli! (or so I thought)

All REMINISCENCE PATCHOULI issues are great. Also Mazzolari and Montale. I love Patchouli
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I have no problem with patchouli whatsoever or patchouli dominant fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

I love patchouli scents like Patchouli Patch(wear it today), Borneo, Coromandel and Cozé; I like that good old hippie feeling...!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the patchouli/sweet syrup combination in Angel. That combination has really turned me off patchouli in fragrances like that. I love the smell of pure patchouli, though, and I enjoy the mentholated quality of it in its dried and living plant form. Also its dank earthiness is enjoyable to me. I often find it difficult to wear, but it depends on the fragrance. Keiko Mecheri has a lovely one called Patchoulisime that is very feminine and pretty. Patchouli as a supporting note, as others have mentioned, are in many of my favorite fragrances, particularly classics like Miss Dior. When I was a teen I bought myself a bottle of Givenchy Gentleman because the patchouli was so appealing to me. I particularly like it when men wear patchouli fragrances...pleasant associations for me. A patchouli sillage will always turn my head.

Post Thanks / Like

I love patchouli, but at this moment I am kinda tired of it. Maybe because I went overkill with it last year.

I've never associated it with hippies. "Hippies" were ......45 years ago. That is a long time.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a big fan of patchouli. A little of it goes a long way, IMO. Best as a supporting, rather than dominant, note.

Post Thanks / Like

This is actually one of my favorite scent if done well

Ω
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have a handful of frags that DON'T have Patchouli in them. I made my own recently all three notes are Patchouli. It's heavenly, the only thing that could improve it is to come up with a note of Hash to throw in the mix. Don't ask how I did it, trade secret!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the op and many others... Hippies usually wear straight patchouli oil, which can be way strong and leave a silliage trail a mile long. So I didn't like it... but now, after getting into frags, I am starting to like it and enjoy it as a supporting role in many frags.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy patchouli as much as most other ingredients but I've never had the hippie association to deal with.

For me, it's hard to just say "patchouli" as if it's one smell because I find the more natural and multifaceted presentation in some fragrances to be miles apart from the synthetic, monotone and almost vanilla like synthetic/s used in others.

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love patchouli in any shape since the (late) Age of Aquarius. Groovy!
    Last edited by easyfish; 26th March 2012 at 06:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

funny that you mention hippies, Heeley Hippie Rose has a pretty strong patchouli note

Not a fan of patchouli EXCEPT for Dior Patchouli which I find absolutely amazing. Beautiful scent.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Not my favorite note, but I've really come to like Mazzolari Lui
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Patchouli? to be fair, I think it depends of the blend.
    * the patchouli note I like the most is the one present on give rauche.
    * the heaviest patchouli note I can wear: heritage
    * frags where patchouli is not an issue: obsession, azzaro, armani attitude and allure
    * and there is a LARGE list of frags where patchouli is overkill to me

when sampling scents I can easily tell which fragances contain patchouli, even if it is not on the topnotes. Strong patchouli is a deal braker to me... that's because patchouli on me usually gets too loud and harsh. maybe my nose is overly sentitive to the note.

do you have some kind advice about how to 'tone down' patchouli-heavy scents to make them wearable?

have a great day!
    D.

So, Um, Like, What's wrong with Hippies?
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Ok, sorry: I couldn't help myself. Interestingly, I happen to think Patchouli smells divine on people, and I'm difficult: Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you: Le MdM--definitely difficult. In the 80's, at Uni, I would douse myself daily with Givenchy Gentleman. I wore this religiously for almost four years. Recently, I've cleaned out e-bay of all of the vintage juice I could get my hands on and I've been wearing it as a base to Mouchoir de Monsieur, since we all know that needs something at this point, having become tantamount to Bed Bath & Beyond Lavender Linen Spray. Not a day has past since I began this odd pairing that I haven't gotten a compliment--and what kinds of compliments! Someone licked my hand the day before yesterday! I'm not sure I would ever actually wear pure patchouli oil--but I must admit: I have always liked it on others. I suppose if you layer in filth and a carton of Camel Filters it could be pretty grotesque. Hippies around my 'hood, I must say, these days, they smell pretty good! My newly rekindled flirtation with the perfectly dashing Vintage Givenchy Gentleman: Working out beautifully.....

PS: Clearly: Different strokes for different folks. Two of my favourite things in life are:

DRUGS
    TOILETRIES

It takes all kinds.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    PS: Clearly: Different strokes for different folks. Two of my favourite things in life are:

DRUGS
    TOILETRIES

It takes all kinds.....
    LOL!

I like both of those things too, and I could kinda be considered a hippy even though I don't look like one. I think Cartman's quote on hippies is hilarious. I guess he doesn't like patchouli!

"Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

My mother is a hippy, so it is perhaps the natural course of things that I should rebel - albeit in the harmless revolutionary particular of patchouli. In truth, she far more often wore clary sage, or Mysore sandalwood when it was inexpensively available (how recently!) than patchouli. Still, patchouli - the naked oil - remains in great vogue among hippies here. It is a charming scent in itself, but I suffer, quite aside from the revolutionary impulse, from overexposure. At train stations particularly, I find - there is always Someone who has doused themselves in it. I rarely can pick out who it is, but their scent trail is unmistakable above all others. Patchouli is distinctive in that way.

Post Thanks / Like

What he meant by “toiletries” was their lack of them. Going au naturel and disdaining commercial deodorants, etc.

I was not a hippy but I did love this shop in NYC called Aphrodesia which used to be on Carmine Street and later moved to Bleecker Street. They had rows and rows of glass jars of every imaginable herb and root and powder, and all kinds of essential oils as well. I bought Mysore sandalwood oil there, lavender oil, rose oil, all kinds of things that I wore as perfume. But not patchouli. I loved smelling it on others, or as incense or something, but I couldn’t wear straight patchouli oil myself. I tried to wear it a few years ago but my husband complained that it reminded him of his first wife. She worked in her family’s horse business and all the horse people used to wear patchouli, apparently, which I think sounds wonderful – leather, horse sweat, patchouli, other barn smells.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't enjoy Patchouli much . I can't totally relax in a fragrance with heavy patchouli in it .
    Worst patchouli - the one that tortured me was Montale's Patchouli Leaves. Borneo 1834 by SL - ugh . As a rule if it's patchouli dominant I'm outta there!
    However....
    Best wearable patchouli on me - one even I would buy is CdG Luxe Patchouli which is a dream .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I agree with the op and many others... Hippies usually wear straight patchouli oil, which can be way strong and leave a silliage trail a mile long. So I didn't like it... but now, after getting into frags, I am starting to like it and enjoy it as a supporting role in many frags.
    Where are you all running into all these hippies?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    In 1967. They have a time machine.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap Patchouli can really ruin a fragrance, but to my surprise, one of my most favorite fragrances ended up being Givenchy Gentleman, almost entirely patchouli.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Dude, man... I've like... lived in Boulder, CO since like... ummmm... let's see... 1992!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Intrigant Patchouli
    Finally bought a bottle the other day
    It's intense civet and patchouli along with other animal notes, honey, sandalwood, oh man just everything good blended into this over the top opulent scent, it's amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Never cared much for patchouli untill I met Coromandel.
    Then I fell in love!
    Same here. Coromandel is an amazingly bold fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    There are also boutique hippies.
    Well about drugs and toiletries, for each head an appropriate hat/cap/bonnet.
    -As long as mine is Yves Saint Laurent, I'll wear it: Rive Gauche Homme boutiques are the only ones that consistently have desirable hats for men, unless of course you want to take the English route, which makes things much easier, but hats are very tricky/difficult to find! My signature shape: The YSL "Paper Boy." I must have one of these in every incarnation possible. To keep clean: Spray interior of hat periodically with vintage "Givenchy Gentleman." Don't worry. Be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I didn't like it, but then I did a quick analysis of the note break downs of my favourite fragrances. Patchouli was quite high up there as a reoccurring note.

Post Thanks / Like

I was mainly in the same boat (or almost), until I discovered the smoothness of patchouli in, e.g., Givenchy Gentleman and Rive Gauche pour Homme