Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Une Fleur de Cassie appropriate gift for 17yo?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, good gift

4 36.36%
  • No, try _____ instead...

7 63.64%

Default Is Une Fleur de Cassie an appropriate gift for a 17yo?

I was thinking of getting my 17yo niece Une Fleur de Cassie for her birthday, but I was a little concerned reading reviews of this scent that it might be too animalic (and perhaps inappropriate?). Now I'm not smelling anything like that in my sample, but perhaps I'm anosmic to some key ingredient. Is this a good selection for a young woman? Or should I pick something else? (And if so, what?)

Default Re: Is Une Fleur de Cassie an appropriate gift for a 17yo?

Is she a pretty sophisticated 17 year-old? Do you know what perfumes she does like?

This is just me, but I found Une Fleur de Cassie really difficult, and I still don't like it much. It's not scary and animalic like Le Parfum de Therese, but it's a bit skanky (I like animalic and skanky, by the way).

If you do want to go with Frederic Malle, I think Lipstick Rose, Lys Mediterranee, or En Passant might be more appropriate for a young girl. If you're open to other perfume brands, maybe let us know why you chose Cassie, and maybe we can help with other suggestions?

K

I would not use those adjectives exactly. She is a practical, street-smart 17yo. I don't know if she owns any other scents, as she lives 3000 miles away and our visits are infrequent. I was thinking about Shalimar Parfum Initial, but when I actually smelled it, it was way too girly-girl. I picked Une Fleur de Cassie because I gave her mother Lys Mediterranée for Christmas, and I thought it was also kind of cute that her name is part of the title in UFdC.

I'm trying to pick up the skank in my sample now so I can judge this better. It still doesn't seem skanky to me. Perhaps a faint whiff of diaper. Is that the challenging bit? Your other two Malle suggestions are good as well (I like them both). And no, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Malle.

I don't want something super challenging, so your concern is my concern here. But I do want some real perfumery and not something totally devoid of contrasts. She can definitely handle it.

Hmm...I did wonder if her name might be Cassie? In which case, that's a few points in favor of UFdC. But I think you hit the nail on the head with 'diaper.' I do remember that, but mainly it didn't make too much of an impression otherwise.

The thing with being 17 is that there are so many random reasons why you might or might not like something, and many of them have nothing to do with the thing itself. There's what's trendy in her age group, what her friends think, what the bottle looks like, etc. Then again, we see a lot of that right here among adults at BN too!

Agree that Parfum Initial is way too girly. Actually, when we were 17 my best friend wore Shalimar.

I think you'd be fine with UFdC, and I'd stand by En Passant (which I think is beautiful although I can't handle the aquatic note) and Lipstick Rose, but then a few other things came to mind, just to make things difficult:

- Vert Pivoine by Histoires de Parfums - clean and very pretty floral, but maybe not enough contrast.
    - Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris - A bit salty, quirky, and different
    - Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange - warm, bright pumpkin, ginger, and immortelle. Clean but slightly edgy, with something a tiny bit smoky.
    - The Pour un Ete by L'Artisan Parfumeur - I'm not a huge fan of L'AP, but this is a really nice transparent jasmine and green tea. Reminds me a little of CK One but more interesting.
    - Bulgari Black - just because it's really cool and it smells good
    - Jardin de Kerylos by Parfumerie Generale - gorgeous fig, peach, green and salty.

Sorry if it's unhelpful! Good luck, and let us know what you decide--and whether she likes it!

K

Those are such good suggestions! Thank you so much. I'm actually going to have trouble choosing now. I've always liked En Passant and Lipstick Rose, too. Like This is also a favorite and something I was considering for myself; I think she'd dig that we have the same scent. And I am going to check out the others, too. Based on your descriptions, there's not one thing on that list I think she wouldn't like. (Though Bulgari Black might have an image problem for 17yo female?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Hmm...I did wonder if her name might be Cassie? In which case, that's a few points in favor of UFdC. But I think you hit the nail on the head with 'diaper.' I do remember that, but mainly it didn't make too much of an impression otherwise.

The thing with being 17 is that there are so many random reasons why you might or might not like something, and many of them have nothing to do with the thing itself. There's what's trendy in her age group, what her friends think, what the bottle looks like, etc. Then again, we see a lot of that right here among adults at BN too!

Agree that Parfum Initial is way too girly. Actually, when we were 17 my best friend wore Shalimar.

I think you'd be fine with UFdC, and I'd stand by En Passant (which I think is beautiful although I can't handle the aquatic note) and Lipstick Rose, but then a few other things came to mind, just to make things difficult:

- Vert Pivoine by Histoires de Parfums - clean and very pretty floral, but maybe not enough contrast.
    - Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris - A bit salty, quirky, and different
    - Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange - warm, bright pumpkin, ginger, and immortelle. Clean but slightly edgy, with something a tiny bit smoky.
    - The Pour un Ete by L'Artisan Parfumeur - I'm not a huge fan of L'AP, but this is a really nice transparent jasmine and green tea. Reminds me a little of CK One but more interesting.
    - Bulgari Black - just because it's really cool and it smells good
    - Jardin de Kerylos by Parfumerie Generale - gorgeous fig, peach, green and salty.

Sorry if it's unhelpful! Good luck, and let us know what you decide--and whether she likes it!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    (Though Bulgari Black might have an image problem for 17yo female?)
    Possibly. But that would have been the selling point for the 17-year-old me. It would have seemed pretty badass.

It might be for her, too, but I don't want to assume too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Possibly. But that would have been the selling point for the 17-year-old me. It would have seemed pretty badass.

I voted yes because it smells wonderful, and that's a good way to put her on the right track in perfume appreciation. Plus, if there is indeed a connection in the name, that seems to seal the deal. Perhaps I'm used and love civet in florals, but I don't find much skank in fdc, certainly there's way less than in typical vintage french florals (joy, my sin, etc etc).

No to shalimar pi. if any, the real thing. but since shalimar is seen in many stores, it will probably not seem as special as a Malle.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I voted yes because it smells wonderful, and that's a good way to put her on the right track in perfume appreciation. Plus, if there is indeed a connection in the name, that seems to seal the deal. Perhaps I'm used and love civet in florals, but I don't find much skank in fdc, certainly there's way less than in typical vintage french florals (joy, my sin, etc etc).

No to shalimar pi. if any, the real thing. but since shalimar is seen in many stores, it will probably not seem as special as a Malle.

cacio
    I've been wearing it for a few hours, and I do agree with you. It's a good scent. I like the civet. I think in the case of my niece, though, this would be a second or third step on a perfume expedition. And maybe only after a sample.

I see - you want light-fresh. If she likes iris, then my favorite light-fresh would be Chanel La Pausa, a clean, fresh iris. Another light pleasant perfume would be Chanel No. 18 (rose iris with a touch of ambrette in the drydown), which perfume critic Luca Turin has compared to a young scrubbed face.

Vintage Diorissimo would have been wonderful too, but the current incarnation is not worth it. Some have suggested that Tauer has made a great job for muguets with Carrillon pour un ange, but I have not smelled it.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I was thinking of getting my 17yo niece Une Fleur de Cassie for her birthday....
    Please do. It's one of the few modern fragrances with character.

If she doesn't like it you'll still be glad to own it and will probably appreciate more all the time once the IFRA restrictions have people making nothing but Mickey Mouse perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Please do. It's one of the few modern fragrances with character.

If she doesn't like it you'll still be glad to own it and will probably appreciate more all the time once the IFRA restrictions have people making nothing but Mickey Mouse perfumes.
    If she doesn't like it, she will probably politely say that she does and it will sit on a shelf somewhere until it gets tossed. Maybe I'll take a sample with me the next time I see her and see what she thinks. I think it's a great choice, but I don't want to waste $200 either.

Cassie is a difficult scent for me to personally enjoy and I therefore voted no to this idea. I do think I'm highly sensitive to some notes in this perfume. If you do ask her opinion of the sample and end up gifting her with Cassie, would you please let us know?

A perfume with contrasts for a street smart 17 year old who can handle it - hmmm- Violet Blond by Tom Ford, Traversee du Bosphore by L'Artisan, and Moscou by Guerlain. I'm trying to think "edgy but still familiar". I like the Traversee du Bosphore and the Moscou ideas best, based on your description of your niece.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 25th March 2012 at 07:46 PM.

I get the animalic vibe frome UFdC. A wonderful basenoter at the SF meetup last year gifted me a decant and noted that it's a barnyard smell - not necessarily fecal, but smells like a barn filled with life.

I do like it (it has great character, as pluran pointed out), but I think most 17yr old girls would be put off if it's their first foray into real perfume.

I second En Passant - a stunningly beautiful lilac and much safer option. My only qualm is longevity and projection. But then she can spray on heavily, and I doubt most 17yr olds really care or think about longevity.

Do you think she'd want more of a daytime or evening scent?

On second thought, I think En Passant might be too delicate and pretty for a street smart, edgy girl, as much as I love it. Go for something darker/edgier.

I wonder what Katniss would wear? How have we not seen a thread on that, yet?
    Last edited by hobbes22; 25th March 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: originally double-post, then actually wanted to add a thought

Basenotes Plus

What a nice uncle you are!! When I was growing up I got a card and a fiver tucked in-

Could you ask your sis to take neice for a sniffie day and see what she likes, then report to you?
    What about one of the Nicolai's Le Temps D'une Fete,perhaps? That's a $ risk in comparison.
    And in my experience many in that age group love the Chanels and the Muglers

Good luck and keep us posted, B.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Institution

Brian - what did you get for your niece in the end ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Brian - what did you get for your niece in the end ?
    Yeah, I'm curious as well....did you get her Jardenia instead?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious as well....did you get her Jardenia instead?
    I'm curious too now that I have dug this up. What did you end up purchasing for her?