Code of Conduct

Default Interested in smooth, creamy floral notes - advice needed!

I'm trying to narrow down a list of samples for my Perfumed Court order. I want to explore some floral notes and I'm interested in smooth, creamy, possibly slightly sweet florals. From what I've read I think that means I should be looking at magnolia, frangipani, orange blossom (as opposed to neroli) and osmanthus. Should I add gardenia to that list? What do you think of those choices, am I heading in the right direction?

I read through some info I found on the Single Notes Exploration thread and other sites found through Google but would also like some input from you guys please!

P.S. How about lily?
    P.P.S. And tiare?!
    Last edited by finzi; 25th March 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Default Re: Interested in smooth, creamy floral notes - advice needed!

Those choices sound great! I always perceive orange blossom as creamy. Ylang ylang can seem creamy, too.

Probably you shouldn't look at flowers per se. Milky notes are often added to florals to give the creamy impression that you seem to look for. This class of perfumes is usually referred to as "lactonic florals", perhaps you could make a search for that. I've heard that the most famous example of creamy rose is Paco Rabanne Calandre, but I've never smelled it. Ivoire was also a reference in the creamy genre, but I think it has been reformulated over time. For more suggestions, you can check this page by perfumeshrine:
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...-lactonic.html

Some of the flowers you mention (esp frangipani, osmanthus) can indeed go in that direction, but it's always hard to know how a perfumer uses the notes. Gardenia could be anything, it's usually just a fantasy name. I've never smelled real tiare; Ormonde Jayne Tiare is a (fantastic) green chypre - which means, not creamy and not fruity. But Les Nez Manoumalia (supposedly also inspired by the flower) is the opposite, a deep, rich tropical floral, almost mushroomy in its intensity - you should try it if available.

cacio

+ 1 for Les Nez Manoumalia. It's definitely creamy to me.

I'm not sure about lily as being creamy. I always find lily notes to be skankily indolic rather than smooth and creamy. It may be that I search for indole in lily notes as that is my preference though

Basenotes Member

I have Camelia by Keiko Mecheri. Personally it's more like magnolia to me, and certainly covers your request for smooth, creamy style. It's not actually any great favourite for me, but I think that's because I personally find the creaminess too much, sort of similar but different to the difficulty I have with Fracas - I love tuberose but the buttery 'texture' is notmytype of style (what is the olfactory equivalent of some of these description words?)

Happy hunting.

Gardenia by Molinard might be a good one to try. Also, some of the Van Cleef Collection Extraordinaire (Gardenia, Orchidee).

Blog Entries

l am wearing Gardenia Petale by VC&A right now, & it fits your "smooth, creamy floral" criteria perfectly. l highly recommend you try this, it's simply gorgeous.

+1 for Manoumalia as well.
    For tiare l recommend lntense Tiare by Montale.
    For lily; l find Un Lys by Serge Lutens has quite a creaminess to it.

Welcome to basenotes, & happy sniffing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I second Un Lys--it's very unlike most lily scents, with a warm honeyed note.

I tend to find complex florals like Quelque Fleurs, Bulgari Pour Femme or Lalique to be quite creamy--if perhaps a bit sweet. Also Sometimes amber can make a floral a bit more creamy but then it's drifting into the floral/orientale category (Givenchy's Organza comes to mind).

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi is the most floral, creamy scent that I've smelled in a long time. It's very powdery, but in the most natural way...you can smell the florals.

I have Orchidee and it is a creamy redolent floral, if a bit one dimensional. It seems to disappear on me very quickly but my skin and florals do not seem to work well together. It might work better for you!

Marilyn Miglin Destiny comes to mind, particularly the parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    For more suggestions, you can check this page by perfumeshrine:
    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...-lactonic.html
    Hi

Thank you for your reply, that link was extremely useful and definitely worth reading.

Thanks also to everyone else who replied. I can smell most of the perfumes mentioned before I commit myself to buying samples, thanks to the excellently stocked perfumed departments at Harrods and Liberty, and our wonderful Les Senteurs.

For lily of the valley scent VC&A Muguet Blanc is fabulous! I saw a recommendation above for the VC&A Gardenia Petale that scent is also nice. Both have good sillage and last a long time.

You might check Tom Ford Champaca Absolute. It is one of the creamiest florals to my nose. I haven't found the perfect magnolia scent, and this is not magnolia technically, but it comes close to the creamy, white nature of tropical magnolia.

The best frangipani I've smelled is Ormonde Jayne Frangipani Absolute. The actual flower frangipani is slightly buttery itself, and I think Ormonde's version comes pretty close to the real thing.

For a creamy orange blossom, my choice would be By Kilian Sweet Redemption.

Have fun exploring, and keep us posted.

If you want to sample a designer scent, the notes you seem to look for are all in Amarige Mariage by Givenchy, it's one of the smoothers creamier florals that also happen to has a little more longevity than regular designer scents, it may be too strong for some though.

Promesse de l'Aube
    by Parfums MDCI

fits the creamy floral criteria

Notes: Mandarin, lemon, ylang-ylang, jasmine, sandalwood, tonka bean and vanilla

Blog Entries

Once again, I recommend Creed; Jasmal & Tubérose Indiana.