Code of Conduct

Default Thanks to the fragrance community!

It's been over 3 months now and with the help of Chantix I haven't smoked a cigarette and have no urges to ever smoke again. Besides the obvious heath benefits my sense of smells is 10 times what it was when I was a smoker. My take on many fragrances has completely changed as I can really smell the depth of the notes and I've really been misjudging the projection of fragrances in the past. I'd just like to thank everyone in the fragrance community and especially basenotes members for keeping my interest in fragrances going and for giving me another reason to enjoy life smoke free. Thanks guys and gals!

Default Re: Thanks to the fragrance community!

Very nice, congrats!

Would you mind explaining in as much detail as you can muster the specifics in the changes in your ability to smell? i.e. is it now simply 'unfiltered' or are you finding that you can now smell and appreciate accords that once were either undetectable or bothersome in a different light? What, in your inventory, is now not so special, if any? What have you once tested and discounted, only now to find it much better?
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Good job!

for swap/sale:

Yeah, congrats!

What fragrances have changed the most for you? Any that you used to love or hate that will change for the better or worse?

For me the first thing I noticed is how much better I could breathe out of my nose. When I smoked it was like my nose was always stopped up a bit. I guess the difference is that since I can breathe through my nose deeper I can smell longer and deeper. The difference is really huge as now not only can I distinguish more scents when smelling something, but I can pick up smells so much easier. As far as fragrances go it's now like there's a cloud or bubble of fragrance that I can always detect. Before it was maybe I'd pick up a waft or two throughout the day. Many of the fragrances I thought were weak are now much stronger and what I noticed the most is that I can really get overpowered by sharp or harsh fragrances. Almost every fragrance I have smells different now. What really stands out is how much more complexity and depth I can smell in fragrances. It's so much of a difference that I'm really going to have to re evaluate some fragrances and give them another shot.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Yeah, congrats!

What fragrances have changed the most for you? Any that you used to love or hate that will change for the better or worse?
    I can really pick up the sweetness in fragrances now. Even GIT which I don't consider to be sweet at all has a sweetness to it now I could't detect before.

Good for you! Wearing perfume is pretty much a waste of effort if you smoke because to non-smokers you just smell like an ashtray.

Proud of you rich. Chantix is the sh!t. Helped me quit as well. Overtime my sense of smell came back to that of a non-smoker, and it made the hobby/art of smell just that much better. Not just fragrances, but everything. And a more fulfilling life. Congrats to you, and I hope you stay smoke free. I haven't picked one up since Feb 2005 or 2006 can't remember which year. I will never have a cig again.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Proud of you rich. Chantix is the sh!t. Helped me quit as well. Overtime my sense of smell came back to that of a non-smoker, and it made the hobby/art of smell just that much better. Not just fragrances, but everything. And a more fulfilling life. Congrats to you, and I hope you stay smoke free. I haven't picked one up since Feb 2005 or 2006 can't remember which year. I will never have a cig again.
    Yeah man without the Chantix I don't think I could have ever quit. Here's to kicking a habit that's more addictive than heroin. Cheers!

Congratulation silentrich, good job.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Congratulations just for kicking it Rich!

Banned

good for you !!!!

Blog Entries

I have a question: Does the aroma of another person's cigarette trigger the wish to reach for a pack and have one ? Much like that a single drop of alcohol can undo all previous efforts ...
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Congrats to you! And thanks to you for contributing to the community and selling me several bottles through your sale thread

Congrats Rich ! I too quit this year and will be a full year in April next month. Its not easy what you did.

Congrats mate, keep up the good work!

Well done you!

Keep up the good habit of having a non-habit. Your sense of taste should also be, comparatively, more sensitive.

If Chantix starts giving you psyhotic break downs or nightmares, it may please you to know that nicotine itself is not a carcinogen, so taking up an alternative like the oral fixating e-cigarette could be an option.

Just keep not smoking. Seriously. It negatively affects far more of your body than just lungs.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging posts and the best part!!!!!! The $240 I save every month I can spend on fragrances!!!!!! Time to find a good hiding spot in my sock drawer. My wife is a master at finding my "saving it for a rainy day" stash.

Congratulations! Non-smokers have no idea how hard it is to quit.

I got into the fragrance hobby shortly after I quit (with Chantix too).
    But, I only stayed off the sticks for 6 months. Went out to a bar
    with friends, asked for a smoke, and that was it--hooked again.

I can definitely say that you can smell everything better--fragrances included--
    when you don't smoke. It's amazing how much cigarette smoke affects your
    sense of smell and taste buds...

Great job, and keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Time to find a good hiding spot in my sock drawer. My wife is a master at finding my "saving it for a rainy day" stash.

And yes, wives are good at spending money too. The sock drawer c'mon ? we need to have a talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    And yes, wives are good at spending money too. The sock drawer c'mon ? we need to have a talk.
    Lol, you've never seen my sock drawer. I have well over 300 pairs of socks that covers 2 drawers. Not only was it money well spent, but I rarely ever wear a pair of socks more than twice. Yeah I'm OCD, lol.

Very cool! Congrats on your success! I will be starting a similar sort of challenge but with chew.

Congradulations !!!!! That is really great.

I enjoyed reading this post.

I completely understand. I quit 12-03-08.

Well done Richy! Keep it going!