Code of Conduct

Default Purchase Gone Wrong: Encre Noire

I had a sample of this a while back and remember liking it. I received my bottle today and boy was I in for a surprise. This stuff is revolting and it made me gag upon first sniff. I can now proudly say that this is the first purchase that has gone wrong.

Why So Serious?

Default Re: Purchase Gone Wrong: Encre Noire

I think it's a good scent. But worry you shall not as I believe many like this one and people will grab it if you put it up for swap.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I wish I could I'm not eligible yet...

If you want to be really safe, the best thing to do is to get a sample that you can get at least three "normal" wearings from, and then try it once a month. At the end of that period, if you still like it, it's likely safe to buy a bottle.

Beautiful vetiverS ....

Blog Entries

Despite the positive reviews and feedbacks, scents with strong vetiver notes like Encre Noir and Sycomore are really not for me. I sampled this for a few times, but can't stand it. Will try to reconsider in the future.

Why So Serious?

Oh right, didn't notice that you're not eligible yet, my bad. Put it up on ebay, or better yet just keep it, it might grow on you, who knows?
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

not revolting to me but cant wear peppery vetiver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoon24 View Post
    I had a sample of this a while back and remember liking it. I received my bottle today and boy was I in for a surprise. This stuff is revolting and it made me gag upon first sniff. I can now proudly say that this is the first purchase that has gone wrong.
    Chalk it up as a learning experience on vetiver.

Like it a lot
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I also don't find it amazing. Smells like Burberry Beat with less pepper to me.

I liked it when I first got it mainly for that great smoky woody opening. Then you have ten hours of a pungent sour vetiver note that I began to find unpleasent. That funky sour vetiver note is the reason I never wear it and never will.

I went to have dinner and the smell permeated my senses to the point that I was unable to enjoy my food
    Has that happened to anyone?

That's to bad, this is a good designer vetiver.

Don't like it either. I like the vetiver note but something else in it doesn't smell good to me. I like Guerlain Vetiver and Vetiver Extraordinaire much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I liked it when I first got it mainly for that great smoky woody opening. Then you have ten hours of a pungent sour vetiver note that I began to find unpleasent. That funky sour vetiver note is the reason I never wear it and never will.
    (funky and sour) I agree 100%

Moore, I wish someone could take me up on a swap or give me an offer.

Gag? Really? How much did you put on!?

I can understand not liking it but I'm surprised it elicited such a strong reaction.

Prior to applying EN, I had been sniffing DHI. Maybe that could be it?

Moore, I wish someone could take me up on a swap or give me an offer.
    You should have posted, "boy I regret buying this instead of frag X or something like it." Otherwise, nobody knows what you want and it's a waste of time (considering how you didn't like anything on my huge list LOL).

Lol, I probably should have. Next time....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Yeah, this is a big turn-off for a lot of people. The sour accord is evident, and I can sense it easily, but it's not offensive to me (although I've been known to consume an entire peeled lime on occasion) but the gf is vehemently against the Encre Noire. I can smell the note and understand why some may not appreciate it, but I happen to like it. I know scents are highly subjective, but I don't believe there's a single note that creates such a staunch divide as a strong vetiver.

One question I have for the EN lover is, have you tried vetiver essential oils and if so, why not just wear it and save some money (rather than EN)?

Its very nice for the first few hours then this synthetic note (ISO E Super) just dominates.

for swap/sale:

Wouldn't be without this fragrance in my collection. Think it's very good.

Someone PM me or something for this dirty bastard lol

Lol how can I make a sales pitch for my unloved bottle?

I enjoy it. Although, I've been wearing Sycomore more lately. Both are good.

I love vetiver fragrances but I wasn't impressed with Encre Noire.

Lol how can I make a sales pitch for my unloved bottle?
    I often do what I think of as quantity swaps. Here's an example. Someone wanted my Tommy T, which has about 50 ml in it. They had frags I wanted but wouldn't do those swaps, due to higher value (and I didn't have anything else the person wanted). So from the list of ones the person was willing to swap, I said I'd take slightly used bottles of Boss Bottled (1 ounce) and Dirty English (50 ml). I'm not a huge fan of any of these, and I already have some DE. And of course I'd have to pay for shipping. So, this was the only swap I could imagine that would make it worthwhile to me (since it gives me two frags to swap in possible future deals). Otherwise, and especially since I like Tommy T more than BB, I didn't see any reason to do it. In other words, try to think a bit outside the box. For example, the person might have a frag that is new and you know someone who might like it as a gift (and since you have to buy a gift anyway, you can now use that money to buy yourself another frag).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th March 2012 at 07:11 AM.

I blind bought Encre Noire b/c it was dirt cheap and b/c it had so many positive reviews. It smelled nothing like I imagined it would. It is a very strange and brooding scent. I don't wear it too often b/c it's hard to wear, but after it dries down it is quite nice. I'm not a huge vetiver fan though. The bottle is sweet.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    That's too bad, this is a good designer vetiver.
    +1 ...

Encre Noire is one of scents when spraying less is more. 1 or 2 sprays max on your chest and you are set for next 12 hours.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I didn't like it either, and - short of a sample of Sycomore en route which may change my mind - might be writing off vetivers as a whole from future consideration. On the plus side, it seems well regarded on here, so I'm sure selling/swapping will be no problem for you.

I also agree with the recommendation to test more than once before you pull the trigger.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I love Encre Noire. However, it is not very versatile.

Love it, and like vetivers in general. No accounting for taste! Sycamore rules.

For a dark and mysterious scent with a prominent vetiver note, Memoir Man is infinitely better than Encre Noire which is disgustingly overrated IMO.

i was thinking of the wrong frag.....
    Last edited by heperd; 10th April 2012 at 08:56 PM.

Love it - earthy Vetiver niche quality at budget price done right !!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Thumbs up Re: Purchase Gone Wrong: Encre Noire

So far, ENCRE NOIRE is my favourite vetiver scent, Simply the best, IMHO
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I like it for what it is, a vetiver scent. but it's just not for me.

I'm a vetiver fan too...Guerlain, Ford, CDG but Encre Noir is really weird (probably just me). One day I like it, next time I don't. Going to wait awhile before I try it again.

Just the bottle makes it worth owning to me. It's a friggin' work of art.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

It smells great for awhile but it soon becomes one of the most grating things I've ever worn.

It contains about 45% Iso E Super, but the disturbance involves a lot more than that.

I am in the exact same boat as you, thegoon24, although I bought it blind without sampling first as you did. This stuff is truly foul! I stuck through the opening hoping for anything better, but it is a very linear fragrance. The pure strength subsided but the unpleasant scent did not.

In a weird way I was somewhat pleased in that I am new to fragrances and now I have found a popular one which prompted a visceral negative reaction from me. So like you I'm proud to say a purchase went wrong, and I guess I have a nose that works! (In its own way of course).

Will agree with the post above that the bottle itself is awesome. Also on the bright side, in the same purchase I bought a bottle of Gianfranco Ferre for Man which is absolutely phenomenal.

Did you order it from a place you have ordered before? sure it's good juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If you want to be really safe, the best thing to do is to get a sample that you can get at least three "normal" wearings from, and then try it once a month. At the end of that period, if you still like it, it's likely safe to buy a bottle.
    Agree.

Try it again in a few day, perhaps. I enjoyed it greatly at first, then didn't wear if for a while, sprayed it again and was less pleased then. If this was because the juice in the sprayer's tube had been exposed to air, because I had worn sweeter scents for most of the winter or just wasn't in the mood for it that day, I don't know, but the following time I wore it I enjoyed it greatly again, as before.

Love it. Really beautiful vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Old post in and old thread, but timeless advice.

Not sure what to make of the split of opinions with EN. The reviews have always been far greater for the positive, but those who don't care for it speak very loudly.

I have never reviewed it here mainly because I wear it beneath Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. It really adds a special dark kick to a bright (almost aquatic) fragrance. While I love both, I've been wearing the two together (GV on top of a layer of EN) for a while - almost to the point that I feel naked if I put on one without the other.

I blind bought it and the first time I tried it i thought I had made the biggest mistake ever. Now I can't wait for an occasion to wear it. It's crazy.