Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: My new signature is the most common scent around...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Well, at least here in Brazil, there is no Old Spice. I even wondered many times how does it smell...
    I don't think Old Spice smells much like anything - very low key scent to my nose.
    But I bought some for $15 and wore it.
    My wife immediately told me to stop wearing it as she thought I smelled like a really old man.
    Regards,
    Renato

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hi, Rod.

My personal opinion 212 Men is that it is a decent fragrance, but it is not exceptionally creative or unique. Still, it is a scent that very few people will respond negatively to. You will probably get a lot of nuetrals and a good number of positive responses as well.

To answer your question, yes girls will recognize you by it.

Keep in mind that probably less than half of men wear cologne. And there dozens of mass market colognes that the chances that every guy is wearing 212 and not AdG/CW/Le Male are not likely. So, yes, there is a chance that a woman may have recognized that scent from 1-2 other guys before, but even women who have smelled it before probably won't be so attentive to the fact that they can identify the scent. As a person spends more time with you, they can identify it as your signature.

Mostly, when you look at everything. Most women (I'd bet 70%) won't know that you are wearing a scent that maybe 3% of all other guys are wearing.

Hey guys!
    I'm almost buying 212 Men...

I will try to make this one my new signature scent(Yes, I want a signature scent, this is why this obsession started after all )! I just love this fragrance!

Problem is: it's one of the most common scents in where I live(Brazil)...I mean, everyone has smelled this one at least once. To make it worse, this is the signature scent of a good friend of mine.

I have worn many other fragrances in the past years, trying to find a good signature...but 212 always came back to my mind.

I'm afraid of regretting this later(because it's somewhat too common). But on second thought, I almost never come across a guy wearing fragrances here...maybe at clubs only. I hardly know anyone that wears fragrances on daily basis like me...

I want people(girls included) to recognize me by this smell...do you think this is possible? Would you guys wear a common fragrance like this as your signature?
    I want your opinion!
    Nothing I know off resembles 212 Men, so consider layering it with another frag to get a unique scent.

Suggestions:

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Lomani Pour Homme
    Nautica Voyage
    Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    Prada Infusion D'Homme
    Mugler Cologne
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I would even venture to wear Prada Infusion d'Iris. It's made for women, but it is very unisex with incense and iris.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Well, I just ended up buying it from a friend. I got a half-full 100ml bottle.
    Now I'm praying that I can stick to this one as a signature, or even alternate 212 with 2 more scents, like Renato said, so I don't get olfactory fatigue! (The idea of wearing 3 scents, each with a different group of people is great!)

Problem is: I don't think I have that much groups of people LOL...I may go unscented some times then, to avoid fatigue.

I'm thinking of getting a sweet-elegant scent to alternate as well, nothing grandpa-smelling as I'm 24...something woody maybe.
    What do you guys think of Fahrenheit, D&G The One or even that Rocky Mountain Wood that moore suggested? (never tried Rocky Mountain, btw)

PS: Thanks for all of the other suggestions too!
    Last edited by Rod; 4th April 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    If you like this one and feel comfortable wearing it, that's all that matters IMO. Just enjoy it.

This.

Ola Rod,

This is a great question. You want a signature scent, but one that is not TOO popular. My recommendation would be to start a threat in here in which you ask for the best 'uncommon' fragrances. I did this awhile back and people sent in really great ideas. My signature was L'eau de Issey and probably still is, but I now rotate my signature scents and just have more than one!!

By the way, it is important to get something appropriate for your age as well, so include that if you send out a thread. I am in my early 40s, so I wanted some possible signatures for that age group. Boa sorte!

I'm thinking of getting a sweet-elegant scent to alternate as well, nothing grandpa-smelling as I'm 24...something woody maybe.
    What do you guys think of Fahrenheit, D&G The One or even that Rocky Mountain Wood that moore suggested? (never tried Rocky Mountain, btw)
    I have Fahrenheit too - I class it and 212 as being in the same mossy green camp of scents.

I don't know Rocky Mountain Wood, and D&G The One never grabbed me much - it didn't have the punch I was used to from D&G scents, though D&G The One Gentleman was more impressive. But if you like it, why not go for it? - not all scents have to be punchy.

There's little by way of right and wrong with scents. Most people here will say to wear what you want. I'm more cautious, usually leaving the wearing of oriental scents till night time. I figure if one is working in an office, one is best not wearing a scent that screams "I want to party" - it gives the impression one would rather be elsewhere.
    Cheers,
    Renato

In my opinion the same fragrances wears differently from individual to individual.

For instance I bought Dunhill Fresh a few years back at Perfumania one of my friends was with me he smelled it and liked it and purchased it too...pissed me off actually.

Anyway maybe a week or two later me and him and some other friends all hung out. I smelled it on him and asked him what he was wearing and he said Dunhill Fresh...once it mixed with his body chemistry it smelled totally different on his skin than on my skin.

So honestly I wouldn't worry that its a common fragrance because it will smell different.