Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recent downtime

Default Recent downtime

Hello

On Tuesday Basenotes was hacked and was put in a position which left the site and its users vulnerable. The hack wasn't targeted just at Basenotes, it was one which targeted a security hole in vBulletin which is the software we use to run the site.

Shortly afterwards, vBulletin issued an security update, which we have spent the last few days applying. As the forum grows bigger, doing a simple thing like updating the software which runs it, seems to always take more time and come with unexpected "joys".

All things should be up and running now, but please email us or post to this thread if there are any issues.

On a related note, we are now working with a company who will be looking after the technical side of things for us, with a completely rebuilt site. This should help ensure these things are less common in the future as they have a whole team to deal with these issues that crop up, rather than just me staying up til 3am for a few nights!

It won't be for a few months until they have the site ready, but will of course keep you informed nearer the time.

Thanks for your patience.

Default Re: Recent downtime

Also, we are currently rebuilding the Search Indices which may take some time. While this is happening I've had to turn of the bulletin search, so some features may not currently function as normal.

thanks

Thanks for all your hard work in getting BN up-and-running again, Grant.
    Get some sleep and enjoy your time in Italy!

Basenotes Plus

Many thanks for all your hard work and dedication, Grant - it is very much appreciated.

Thank you Grant - can't imagine what a pain in the *** this was for you. Yes, get some sleep!

I have a question; were any account passwords or other information (ie. location, birthday, or email addresses, etc.) compromised?

Thanks for all the hard work! It feels great to be back. Have a great time in Italy (looks like you will postpone the sleep matter until later )!

great to have the site back up and running grant, brilliant effort on your part, hopefully milan will more than make up for it (and have a couple of shots of grappa and black sambuca on me!). i'm sure it's been very annoying (to say the least) and stressful but i guess it's part of a necessary process.

I missed us! I know this has grown into a huge baby that needs much pampering. Glad you called in a tech-nanny. Weird metaphors. Sorry. I am writing and brain-challenged.

Nice to be back and see familiar faces (if you know what I mean)! Thanks Grant - much appreciated. Enjoy Italy!

Really appreciate the work involved getting this back online. Thanks!

Your effort is much appreciated.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all your work on this, Grant!

Thanks for all your hard work

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I have a question; were any account passwords or other information (ie. location, birthday, or email addresses, etc.) compromised?
    Many thanks Grant for getting this working again. I would also like to know the answer to Surge's question (above). Thanks!

Many thanks for this hard work.

Basenotes Institution

Many thanks , Grant - I appreciate it must have been really hard and tiring what with the travel etc and dealing with this.

I have also been pretty concerned about our security and privacy re. real names, email addresses, date of birth ( identity theft issues ) and passwords .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I wondered what was going on on Tuesday night. I kept getting 'Malware' warnings when trying to access the site on Tuesday. Good job I didn't ignore Microsoft Security Essentials!

Good to see things back up and running now.

Thanks Grant. Your hard work is much appreciated, as well as the open communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Many thanks , Grant - I appreciate it must have been really hard and tiring what with the travel etc and dealing with this.

I have also been pretty concerned about our security and privacy re. real names, email addresses, date of birth ( identity theft issues ) and passwords .
    No data was accessed from Basenotes itself, as far as it is possible to ascertain. The hack injected the template code with some code to display an iFrame. An iFrame is something that allows you to display another website in a 'window' on a website.

As people were getting Malware warnings, there is certainly the possibility that the code was designed to download something to users computers. More information about iFrame malware is here

As always it is always wise to make sure virus checkers on your computers are up to date. I'm currently looking into the situation further to see If I can work out the nature of what the code was attempting to do. I will of course keep you updated.

Shortly after the attack happened, vBulletin who make the software Basenotes runs on issued a security patch, which we have installed.

Thanks Grant.

for swap/sale:

Many thanks Grant.

Grand appreciations Grant; keep up the good work!

Thank Grant and Co. you for taking care of the site and our info! I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much! I can't wait to see the new site unveiled. This website has been such a valuable tool for me.

Thanks for the explanation Grant -- very glad no personal data was accessed;
    I noticed a flagged item in MS forefront endpoint protection log, from 2/27/2012.
    (Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-0507.D) -- I'm assuming this is where it came from (basenotes), however I am not certain.
    Thanks once again for getting the site back up! I was having withdrawals ^_^
    Last edited by surge; 29th March 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks so much as always Grant, your hard work is really appreciated, especially as you've been away from home during all this! Great to be back everybody, I've missed you all!
    Last edited by teardrop; 29th March 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks Grant and co.

Blog Entries

Many thanks, Grant and all the staff!

Banned

Grant, you are one special guy !!!! Thanks for having this site. Your vision and diligence are unparalleled, and much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Also, we are currently rebuilding the Search Indices which may take some time. While this is happening I've had to turn off the bulletin search, so some features may not currently function as normal.
    With the Search function disabled, is there is no way to keep track of the newest posts on a day-to-day basis? Searching in every forum is simply not realistic due to the slow speed of the site. With the traffic that goes through this site, the newest posts need to be found with ease.

With the new company, can we expect the slow speed and outages to be corrected?

Blog Entries

Ah, is that where the "new posts" button has gone?

When l click "post reply" to a thread, l'm getting a box popping up asking if l want to leave the page or stay on it. This is getting annoying as well as making me suspicious. ls anyone else getting this?

l'm also getting "Auto Saved" popping up in the bottom right-hand corner of the reply box. What does that mean??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Many thanks for keeping the site going Grant. Hugely appreciated

the search function should be back in a few days, it's just that I can't have the site running with the search active while the search indexes are being rebuilt.

The auto saved thing is a new update, from where the software was updated. I haven't come across the post reply pop up but will take a look into it. Which browser are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    When l click "post reply" to a thread, l'm getting a box popping up asking if l want to leave the page or stay on it. This is getting annoying as well as making me suspicious. ls anyone else getting this?
    Does it look like this is what it happening:
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ick-reply-made

Blog Entries

Does it look like this is what it happening:
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ick-reply-made
    Yes! That's exactly what l'm getting.

l'm using Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks so much Grant..looking forward to that new site!

I don't care for the other forums out there..I like it here at BN. So ya, I was pretty much homeless for a couple days, LOL.

So, the new site, will there be new features, a new look to the site? Just curious! Thanks again Grant, you rock!.<---Do people even say that any more? lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

double post, sorry...I am using firefox..getting same thing.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Thank you very much for getting us up and running again!

it was tough being without basenotes yesterday feeling much better today

Blog Entries

Thanks for the hard work to get the site back and running.

The hackers picked the time "to annoy" just when you have to get to Milan !!

Have a wonderful time. I am so excited to see the Presentations with Live Streaming.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Also getting that message with Safari browser on every post, and the whole site is much slower than usual.

Yes, the site is super, super slow now.

Thanks for all your hard work just when you needed to be getting ready to get your flight.
    Lots of really big hugs to everyone there right now.

I've also noticed that the site is incredibly slow now and also more prone to double posting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ete View Post
    I've also noticed that the site is incredibly slow now and also more prone to double posting.
    Yes, & also telling you to wait however many seconds between writing posts, even though you last posted something an hour ago.

Blog Entries

Double-posting most often occurs when you click on too hard on the button POST QUICK REPLY. Just one tiny light click, only once, will do the trick most of the time.

Secondly, I suppose that Mr. Grant Osborne is in Milan now. (Tomorrow is a panel discussion where I will make time and watch him at a round table discussion. This event is on Friday, March 30th, 2:30 PM Milan time, topic: TRANSLATING PERFUME INTO WORDS and hosted by Mr. Michael Edwards.)

Well, after the Trade Show is over, there will be more time to attend to all those bugs hampering the System.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Hi guys, I know that things are slooooow at the moment. The directory is a little faster as it runs on a different database. Looking into things now.

Sorry, I know its super slow. Looking into this presently.

Basenotes Institution

No data was accessed from Basenotes itself, as far as it is possible to ascertain. The hack injected the template code with some code to display an iFrame. An iFrame is something that allows you to display another website in a 'window' on a website.

As people were getting Malware warnings, there is certainly the possibility that the code was designed to download something to users computers. More information about iFrame malware is here

As always it is always wise to make sure virus checkers on your computers are up to date. I'm currently looking into the situation further to see If I can work out the nature of what the code was attempting to do. I will of course keep you updated.

Shortly after the attack happened, vBulletin who make the software Basenotes runs on issued a security patch, which we have installed.
    Thanks so much Grant !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Yes - thank you very much, Grant.

Just tested the auto-save feature - seems to work for me.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

**Problem Fixed**
    Last edited by kbe; 31st March 2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Noticed that posts are very slow to be added and incremented in database.

Male Fragrance Discussion Forum is stuck at 11:42 PM EST with no updating. It is now 1:23AM EST.

Top man Grant - as you can see your hard work is greatly appreciated!

Basenotes Plus

Tried to change avatar picture, would not load.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This is a screenshot of the New Posts page from a few minutes ago. Does this mean BN is still Hacked in part?

Note the number of posts (Results) at the bottom left (almost all duplicates and are credited to Lila das Gupta!)

Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

rather than just me staying up til 3am for a few nights!

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    This is a screenshot of the New Posts page from a few minutes ago. Does this mean BN is still Hacked in part?

Note the number of posts (Results) at the bottom left (almost all duplicates and are credited to Lila das Gupta!)

There's currently issues with the database, which means that its trying to connect to post, and ends up doing it lots of times .I've asked my hosts to look into it, apologies for the problems.

Its still as slow as treacle. Sorry. still looking into