Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Oud Wood and Black Orchid

I ordered a sample of TF Oud Wood and received it earlier today. The seller also included a sample of Black Orchid.

Here's the thing ..... both samples smell exactly the same, as in identical. The best way I can describe the scent is sweet and feminine.

I've tried applying both on each arm and they smell the same -- for people who own both or have tried them, do they smell very similar ?

Why do the samples of Oud Wood and Black orchid smell the same ?

Default Re: Tom Ford Oud Wood and Black Orchid

Nothing at all alike IMO . Oud wood to me is quite a conservative fellow and black orchid is an all fur coat and no knickers party girl

On second smelling, Black Orchid has a sharper note to it, I assume is Iris.

But Oud Wood really is similar, just lacking that specific note BO has.

I think both are terrible. Sickly sweet and jarring is how I'd describe both, and very unmasculine.

I smelled Creed Royal Oud and that was pleasant. TF Oud Wood doesn't smell nice.

I have both Black Orchid and Oud Wood and they don't smell at all the same to me. I just checked-- Oud wood is dryer and Black Orchid has a darker, floral, fruitier scent, almost like a fruit-based cordial. (Oud Wood is a dark tan to me and Black Orchid a very deep creme de casis color.) Both are pretty masculine to me; in fact, I find it hard to imagine a woman wearing Black Orchid even though it is suppose to be a woman's fragrance.

Most likely your nose is playing tricks because they are both strong scents. I'd try testing them on different days. If they were hand drawn samples, I suppose whoever pulled them could have just made a mistake.

I think both are wonderful fragrances though Black Orchid in particular is a bit jarring in a Tom Ford sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    I have both Black Orchid and Oud Wood and they don't smell at all the same to me. I just checked-- Oud wood is dryer and Black Orchid has a darker, floral, fruitier scent, almost like a fruit-based cordial. (Oud Wood is a dark tan to me and Black Orchid a very deep creme de casis color.) Both are pretty masculine to me; in fact, I find it hard to imagine a woman wearing Black Orchid even though it is suppose to be a woman's fragrance.

Most likely your nose is playing tricks because they are both strong scents. I'd try testing them on different days. If they were hand drawn samples, I suppose whoever pulled them could have just made a mistake.

I think both are wonderful fragrances though Black Orchid in particular is a bit jarring in a Tom Ford sort of way.
    Yeah, they were in vials without atomizers.

I used each side of a Q-tip and dipped in both, and applied to each hand. I think the majority would classify Black Orchid as feminine, if a poll were taken in public. Just too sweet and I can't see a man wearing it.

Oud Wood .. I detect something medicinal about it. Also didn't like it. I am extremely angry at this guy for making false reviews and considering a lawsuit :

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qVqB64C6TWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used each side of a Q-tip and dipped in both, and applied to each hand. I think the majority would classify Black Orchid as feminine, if a poll were taken in public. Just too sweet and I can't see a man wearing it.

Oud Wood .. I detect something medicinal about it. Also didn't like it. I am extremely angry at this guy for making false reviews and considering a lawsuit :

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qVqB64C6TWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by themoogle View Post

Black Orchid is a funny case because it has been more-or-less taken over as a masculine fragrance. Neiman-Marcus now stocks it in the men's department so clearly a lot of men ARE wearing it. As a man's scent, it suggests the darkly Byronic but as a women's scent it suggests aforementioned the fur coat and no drawers type, which may account for some of the switch.

As for street polls, on the street most fragrances are going to be rated "feminine" because that is how people on the street think of perfume. It's like dogs always being "he" and cats "she." Otherwise, it is a matter of personal taste and cultural influence. In the Middle East, Oud is most definitely masculine and most definitely not feminine.

If they were hand drawn samples, I suppose whoever pulled them could have just made a mistake.
    Quite possible.

Double Post

These two smell nothing alike to me.

There is no morsel of resemblance.
    You must've received duplicates.

for swap/sale:

Don't see how they are alike to me, especially with your descriptions. Oud Wood isn't sweet at all to me. Just wood, serious wood.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Don't see how they are alike to me, especially with your descriptions. Oud Wood isn't sweet at all to me. Just wood, serious wood.
    I agree with this.